Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

well here we are.. i am two days post op.. doing well i feel.. but i am not able to tell the difference between hunger pains and just gas moving pains i guess... to myself i dont think i feel hungry.. today i have been working on Water consumption.. i didn't feel like i was getting enough water yesterday so i have sipped down two bottles of water in hopes of staying hydrated.. i hate the gas pains even though walking really does help i have a horrible dog that just stopped half way threw my walk.. he's a pup so i should have known... anyways.. i dont know if i am losing weight.. i am to scared to step on the scale.. i think i am going to wait til i hit one week then weigh in.. hoping it all goes well

Merry Christmas Band Family,

Well, I am 8 days post op now and feeling pretty good. I am still on the full liquid phase but I did cheat today. I had some soft dressing, brocollie casserole and corn pudding. I only had about 1 tablespoon of each but it was oh soooo good. I was not really full but I kept telling myself that I was at my limit. My family went to the movies and I ate about 2 handfulls of popcorn...my weakness. I just sucked on each piece until it got soft and then chewed the rest until it dissappeared in my mouth. I don't think that I did any harm. I chose the band so that I could be in control, not in bondage and I don't want to feel in bondage to food. I am supposed to remain on full liquids for another week, but I believe that I will begin to incorporate some very mushies in between as I am starting to have an increase in my appetite. I am determined to make this band work regardless of how long it takes. No longer will food control me!

well I cheated too. Im 11 days out and have found I can eat anything it seems with no problems. Not a good thing for me. I ate a tablespoon of dressing, potatoes too. Then found out I could eat chocolate turtles, so over the day I ate 3 of those. Now, Ive eaten a small handful of fritoes! I promise myself I will get back to pureed tomorrow. But WHY am I ABLE to EAT???!! and not feel full ??

Well I did pretty good for my Christmas dinner and dinners... I had a little turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and cranberries.. I also had pie for dessert and then a small piece of rice crispy square. I told everyone that after new years junk food and sweets will no longer be allowed in the house. I have to hard of a time staying away. Tonight there is still pie and other Desserts on the counter but I have stayed away.. Congrats to me... I choose not to weigh myself. Just because I have started more solids and have a sinus infection which does not allow me to walk due to asthma.. I do not want to have a weight gain and be upset with myself.. So I will weight a week or two.. I am going shopping tomorrow and will be buying more healthy food since I have been having no problem with the mushy stage.. Anyways all congrats on being banded and all of us keep up the good work..

Oh now...the confessions begin!!! :thumbup:

I had to have all the Fluid removed from my band due to constant nausea and not being able to keep any thing down, the day after my surgery! I'm 10 days out. After a couple of hours the nausea went away. From then on I can say that it's been smooth sailing!!! I have been eating Protein Shakes, Greek Yogart, (the last three days) Cream of Wheat, and SF pudding. I have also tried scrammbled eggs with milk added, and a half of a banana. But I only eat when I'm truely hungry. I am walking every day for 30 min. a day. And the weight is coming off!!! That last part is real important to me and to all of you. It's not pouring off of me but it's coming off somewhat slowly. I have been doing Weight Watchers and just the preop diet before that. Anyway, that's my confession. I guess I'm doing okay!!! Follow up at Dr.s on Monday...:thumbup:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of my friends out there...:blink:

Illum--are finding that weight watchers is helping you? Do you plan to continue to do weight watchers?

Illum--are finding that weight watchers is helping you? Do you plan to continue to do weight watchers?

Hi....

Just wanted to add Jenny Craig to the pot for weight loss assistance. I joined Jenny on Aug 1st and lost 40 pounds by the end of November. When I can have reg food I will be purchasing enough food for 1 lunch or dinner per day. I will be eating 1/2 of it at lunch time and 1/2 at dinner time. The cost should be greatly reduced. They are letting me come in for my weekly meetings and getting weighed and not buying food. Pretty great of them. Shows they are interested in me as a person not just as a customer with a check book!

I greatly recommend the program and the people there.

Happy New Year...Pam

I posted this on another thread but I wanted to get your opinions.

"I am so glad this thread was started!

I had my band installed 12/22. So I'm 4 days post op. I was on a strict 500 calories/2 Protein Shakes a day for 2 weeks for pre-op diet. Now the rules are for the week of post op is NO Protein, just Clear Liquids. I"m dying here! I did cheat, I eat 1 bite of scrambled egg yesterday morning. It wasn't even a big bite. I'm worried to screw up my band like ya'll are saying but OMG, my stomach hurts so bad. It's hunger pains, not surgery pains.

Then after my post op visit that I have with dr. which is not till tuesday, his rules are clear liquid w/protein shakes for 4 more weeks. Then after that I can to to mushies. I'm seriously...about to lose it.

I started this journey at 293 on Dec. 8th and today, what 18 days I'm down to 273. Is this normal? 20 lbs in 18 days? I'm worried it's not healthy. And what happens at 4 weeks of just liquid? At that point I"m just pulling an "oprah" with her liquid diet in the 80's. Anyone can drop a ton of weight on the liquid diet but is it healthy?

Also, I don't understand why some docs say 1 week after operation it's ok to eat mushies but then docs like mine say 4 weeks before mushies. I"m looking for a healthy balance."

BeckyC73 viewpost.gif

I was banded on 12/21, so I am 5 days out. My incisions are fine and I haven't taken any pain meds since the day after, but no pain. Yet, I'm miserable most of the time so far. I'm freaking hungry (probably head hunger) and full liquids are not satisfying. I get "full" but the hunger doesn't go away. I think I want to CHEW something.... I'm not getting as much liquid or Protein as I'm supposed to, but it just seems like I can't get enough down..... I don't want to be a bummer to my family at Christmas, but sometimes I just want to cry. Probably doesn't help that I can't get my depression meds down. I dread taking any of my meds because they taste disgusting and half the time I throw them up (and get to taste them again)! ... Oh, and my breath is GROSS tasting and smelling. My mom asked me if I farted yesterday, but it was my breath. And I'm burping all the time..... I knew it was going to be hard, but I didn't know it was going to be this hard, this fast.... Okay, I'm sorry for this tirade, but I needed to complain to somebody who might be able to understand. Anybody else go through thiS? How long did it last? I'm supposed to be on full liquids for another 8 days, then purees and mushies for two more weeks. How am I going to make it through this?

--- When I was going through my preop phase the nutritionist said that bad breath is going to be an issue because we are not chewing real food for so long.

she sugguested using a tounge scraper and floss to help with calming the stench. I bought one before surgery and am getting ready to pull it out and start using it. My mouth feels like a squirrel died in it.

Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig both work. But you have to follow the plan. No, I quit now that I'm banded but really did like the program. The only reason I quit is because now I have a support group through my surgeon's office. Too many meetings :smile:!!! But I would recommend WW to anyone. They were wonderful to me and I lost weight.

I posted this on another thread but I wanted to get your opinions.

"I am so glad this thread was started!

I had my band installed 12/22. So I'm 4 days post op. I was on a strict 500 calories/2 Protein Shakes a day for 2 weeks for pre-op diet. Now the rules are for the week of post op is NO Protein, just clear liquids. I"m dying here! I did cheat, I eat 1 bite of scrambled egg yesterday morning. It wasn't even a big bite. I'm worried to screw up my band like ya'll are saying but OMG, my stomach hurts so bad. It's hunger pains, not surgery pains.

Then after my post op visit that I have with dr. which is not till tuesday, his rules are clear liquid w/protein shakes for 4 more weeks. Then after that I can to to mushies. I'm seriously...about to lose it.

I started this journey at 293 on Dec. 8th and today, what 18 days I'm down to 273. Is this normal? 20 lbs in 18 days? I'm worried it's not healthy. And what happens at 4 weeks of just liquid? At that point I"m just pulling an "oprah" with her liquid diet in the 80's. Anyone can drop a ton of weight on the liquid diet but is it healthy?

Also, I don't understand why some docs say 1 week after operation it's ok to eat mushies but then docs like mine say 4 weeks before mushies. I"m looking for a healthy balance."

Because of complications I have no Fluid in my band. Therefore, little restriction. I know everyone says, "Follow your doctors orders!!!" I couldn't. So I did a few days of protein shakes and sllllllllllllllllowly introduced some mushies. For example...creamed Soups, applesauce. I know these are slider foods and was very careful. Only a serving here or there. Now, 10 days out I had Cream of Wheat made with milk for the protein for Breakfast. I will have Greek syle yogart for snack and a Protein Shake made with fruit for my lunch. I am losing weight but it isn't falling off of me. I don't want that at all. I want to lose slowly. For dinner last night I tried some really soft fish and a part of a mushed up yam. But count the calories. You must be careful. Oh also....keep up with your fluids...it makes you feel full. Hope this helps!

Hello all. I'm 9 days post op and HUNGRY. I had some pureed chili yesterday and it was very good, although I have to say it filled me full of gas. I noticed today when I weighed myself that I had gained 2 lbs since surgery and must admit that I can't seem to drink as much as I used to at all. I was wondering if this is normal. Hope you are all doing well and that you had a wonderful Christmas!!!

Good Morning.

I was banded on Dec. 15th. I am doing well. I went back to work on Friday the 18th. I have a desk job and can get up each hour. I am doing well. made it thru Christmas no problem even though I could only have shakes and Jello pudding. Come Tuesday it will be 2 weeks ended and can have some yogurt and applesauce. yippeee:thumbup: I have to sleep with a pillow on my right side so I can sleep on my side. or my back. I can't seem to sleep on my left side.

I am walking and doing housework without lifting alot.

Ann

Hi, I am new. I was banded on dec 21. I feel like I am doing well so far. I am hungry majority of the time! I am having trouble drinking my Protein, Isopure only per my dietician, it has a real bitter taste. Anyone have suggestions?

Sunday is weigh day. I updated my ticker. Lost a pound and a half through Christmas!! Yipppeeee

Good evening everyone! I was banded on the 23rd. During my ten day diet I lost 12 pounds! God has truly blessed me to have a decent recovery. The only pain I have is at my port site and I've learned that if I don't take my Vitamins I feel like I'm coming down with the flu. Today was the first day I felt hungry. I have my two week post op appointment on the 7th.