Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

I was banded on Wednesday the 16th. Surgery was only like 30 mins and only 2 incisions with steri strips on them! Spent one night in the hospital (glad I did--gotta love the pain pump). Gas pains have been not too bad and no nausea. I am STARVING though. I have to be on stictly Clear Liquids until next Wed the 23rd (full liquids for 1 week after that). Popsicles and broth and Water just aren't cutting it! I never thought I would be looking FORWARD to a Protein shake:drool:. It is funny and kind of amazing the difference between doctors and post and pre op diets! Right now I keep thinking what the heck did I just do to myself because i am so hungry!! I found some clear Protein Drinks from iso pur. They are super sweet and am mixing them with 1/2 water, but still not helping the hunger!

Help I have a problem. Well maybe 2. So here goes. #1. I am having a gas type pain in the center of my chest between my breasts and after the pain, my tummy rumbles. I shouldnt have gas I havent had anything other than liquids. But it does feel like a gas cramp. #2. Im hungry! Well, maybe Im bored with the liquid. How long did you all stay on clear liquid after banding?

Hi MePainting,

You sound EXACTLY like me the week after surgery. I had those pains and I couldn't get my husband to understand what they were. I was thinking, it couldn't be gas, but it was. We get PLENTY of gas trapped in us from surgery that stays around for a minute. My stomach would be gurgling right afterwards and as the week went on, more consistently. Trust me, it's gas. About my 5th day out, I was literally STARVING! I was on clear liquids for day of surgery only. Then on to a liquid only diet for the first 7 days after surery (3 Protein Shakes and 1 snack) but my hunger pangs hurt. I called my surgeon/dietician and she let me move on to my stage 3 (mushies/puree) a day early. She said that I tolerate the liquids well and that I could go ahead and eat, but follow that diet to a tee! You're not alone.

well I found my signature line!

Okay, I slept and have had some norishment. So, I feel and look better. My husband has been the best to me also. Everyone who was skeptical is now on board with it all. That helps a lot.

All in all my surgery went well except for the hernia and the nausea. I am very glad to be home with all my comfort items. I have stayed on top of the nausea and pain with meds. I guess in that way I'm kind of a whimp!

As I said before they had to take all the Fluid out of my band and as a result I'm able to tolerate more food (liquids). But that's okay with me because I had planned on taking it slow any way.

Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes. You guys are the best! I will keep posting to update you and am sorry if I repeat myself (it's the medicine...lol).

Thanks so much. I knew it felt like gas pain. :smile2:

WooooWhooo! I finally got my picture and weight ticker figured out! :smile2:

I was just banded on December 18th @ True Results. So far I'm doing well. My throat is very sore, but I haven't had any gas issues, so I suppose that's a good thing.

Glad to be apart of the community!!!

I'm two days out from surgery and I'm not feeling too much gas pains any more. Although my back and neck are sore, I think from holding my tummy in while getting up and down. I'm taking the liquid tylenol for that.

I'm wondering, TMI question here, how long after surgery before you had your first BM? I had one Wednesday evening before surgery, but nothing since then.

Also, how long can you sleep at once without having to get up and walk around? I can sleep for about 4 hours, then I wake up, even in the middle of the night, and walk, get a drink, medicate.

Not TMI!! If we can't ask each other, who else can we ask?? I had my 1st BM 2 days after surgery and have had at least one every day since (all liquid of course) I was also advised that if you feel like you have to fart, maybe do it on the toilet because sometimes it isn't just fart! I have not had trouble sleeping, but I have been very lucky with little pain. Hope this helps and again just a warning--it may not always be a fart!:smile2:

Chick, I was so excited when I had my first fart! lol And them I was like, ohh, gotta be careful that it isn't a shart!

I did take some Miralax yesterday, so I'm hoping that helps, as I do need to rid my body of the things I ate for dinner Wednesday night (steak, broccoli with cheese).

I'm so grateful for these boards.

Ok--I am starting to freak myself out!! Had band on Wed. now I am reading some of the boards about too much of a fill and PB'ing and I am thinking WHAT DID I DO TO MYSELF!!! I hate puking. I don't know if I ever want a fill now! I knew all of this coming into this, but it is just so REAL now. Is it really THAT bad???

You guys are too funny. I try not to pass gas in front of my husband. Been married for over 10 years so don't know why it bothers me but anyway. After surgery I had so much trapped air and I could not burp or fart. So when a few days after surgery I started farting I was thrilled! I'm still having eppisodes of gas every day and I'm 16 days post op!

Shoot, my hubby farted in front of me our very first date! That's just the family he comes from. But I'm cool with that as I'd rather fart and be pain free, than hold it in and be hurting from the gas pains.

Let me tell you, as I'm sure you already know, after having this surgery, there is nothing my husband hasn't seen, well, except me having a BM because I just haven't yet. But he helped me shower, helped me on and off the toilet, everything. He's been my rock and a great looking nurse too! :smile2:

Okay, last night I was soooooooo tired I slept 10 hours straight through. When I woke up I couldn't believe it!!!! I feel much better but have little restriction. I can deal with the hunger although if I get too hungry I have some greek yogart. I know you're not supposed to but it's going down pretty good and I'm not over doing it by any means. I tried just doing the liquid Tylenol but ended up taking my pain meds after all. I am going to try to go as long as I can without them. Hope everyone else is doing okay now too. I really feel so much better now that I've had some sleep.< /p>