Jump to content
Ɨ
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2024 Surgery Buddies šŸ˜



Recommended Posts

Hello I am scheduled for my surgery 5/28 ā˜ŗļø

1) I am nervous about the surgery itself. I have had 2 other surgeries where I was put to sleep and had no issues. It just nerve wrecking to be put to sleep and anything can happen. I have multiple sclerosis as well and I am nervous the surgery will put me into a flair

2) I feel like the only things Iā€™m going to pack is clothes, crocs, my phone charger, a packed hygiene bag, and a hot pack,

3) I am most excited about the way this tool is going to change everything for me. I will get to actively play with my children without breaks. The everyday struggles will no longer be a struggle for me. Oh and no more back pain Iā€™m hoping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow is the big day! May 1. May Day!

On the liver shrinking diet, the first two days and the last two days were the hardest. The first two days, I was ravenous and it took every ounce of willpower I had not to eat. By day 3, it wasn't a big deal. My particular diet called for 3 shakes, 1 serving of Protein mix Soup, a Protein Bar, a banana (for the potassium), and up to 3 sugar free gelatines. Plus as much zero cal clear drink I could stand. By day 3, I LIVED for that banana and protein bar. These last two days with no solid food at all has been tough. My sense of smell has ramped up significantly. Everything smells fantastic!

I'll provide an update after the procedure is finished and I'm lucid again. I'm somewhat nervous about the discomfort, but I'm sure I'll be able to weather it. Wish me luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, it did not take 4 hours. The anesthesiologist said she likes bariatric patients because they make us jump through so many hoops, everything is done by the time we get to her. The 4 hours is for people who need bloodwork, ekg, pulmonary tests, etc. I had everything done and all my clearances in place, so I was in and out in less than an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Pat Hall said:

Tomorrow is the big day! May 1. May Day!

On the liver shrinking diet, the first two days and the last two days were the hardest. The first two days, I was ravenous and it took every ounce of willpower I had not to eat. By day 3, it wasn't a big deal. My particular diet called for 3 shakes, 1 serving of Protein mix Soup, a Protein Bar, a banana (for the potassium), and up to 3 sugar free gelatines. Plus as much zero cal clear drink I could stand. By day 3, I LIVED for that banana and Protein Bar. These last two days with no solid food at all has been tough. My sense of smell has ramped up significantly. Everything smells fantastic!

I'll provide an update after the procedure is finished and I'm lucid again. I'm somewhat nervous about the discomfort, but I'm sure I'll be able to weather it. Wish me luck!

Good luck for today! I will be thinking of you! ā¤ļø

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Zingor said:

Ok, it did not take 4 hours. The anesthesiologist said she likes bariatric patients because they make us jump through so many hoops, everything is done by the time we get to her. The 4 hours is for people who need bloodwork, ekg, pulmonary tests, etc. I had everything done and all my clearances in place, so I was in and out in less than an hour.

That is amazing! How are you feeling? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, shelbyy0515 said:

Hello I am scheduled for my surgery 5/28 ā˜ŗļø

1) I am nervous about the surgery itself. I have had 2 other surgeries where I was put to sleep and had no issues. It just nerve wrecking to be put to sleep and anything can happen. I have multiple sclerosis as well and I am nervous the surgery will put me into a flair

2) I feel like the only things Iā€™m going to pack is clothes, crocs, my phone charger, a packed hygiene bag, and a hot pack,

3) I am most excited about the way this tool is going to change everything for me. I will get to actively play with my children without breaks. The everyday struggles will no longer be a struggle for me. Oh and no more back pain Iā€™m hoping!

I am wishing you all the best for your surgery! I have mine on the 14th so I will let you know how it goes and we can keep in touch if you like? :) I haven't had surgery since I was about 2-3 years old!

I am DEFINITELY taking my crocs, and they will be put in sports-mode for my shuffles down the corridor haha.

I second the no more back pain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My date is may 2ndā€¦ā€¦

On my second week of diet as or yesterday. Having the hardest time w/this diet, only cause I'm diabetic and on depression meds, and I have to put something in my System to take them. I have dizziness, fatigue , and tend to be light headed at times. It took me over a year and a half to get to this surgery. Was scheduled for 3/12/24 but had a issue w/kidney. All good now, so don't wanna do anything to get it postponed again.

GOOD LUCK šŸŽ² TO ALL MAY PATIENTS !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Surgery complete! It's now 12 hours since I went under. The surgery took 90 minutes, Docs said it went well.

I started to come to about 2 hours after the surgery was done. According to my wife, I was a happy drunk. I really don't remember coming back to my room.

As we speak, I'm hooked up to machines that are checking my pulseox, dripping fluids into me, and massaging my calves (which feels amazing).

I've taken some walks around the floor. The first one hurt (level 5) the others were much easier (level 2)

Not going to lie, my abdomen hurts. Any movement is uncomfortable since we use our core for everything. Not crippling pain just "yah! Hey that smarts!"

I'm sipping Water and chicken Soup slowly. I knocked back 2oz of water like a whiskey shot just now. Mistake. I got bad heartburn from that. Sip sip sip.

Hope to go home tomorrow. Thanks for the good vibes!

Edited by Pat Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I head in tomorrow morning at 10:00 for my surgery. I'm a lil nervous, just the not knowing, what I'm about to experience. They say šŸ’­ it's different for everyone. Appreciate all that I've learned from everyone's experiences here on this page. The procedure for me to get here has taken a whole yr and a half. So I'm so ready for thisā€¦. (I think !!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

That is amazing! How are you feeling? :)

Oh, that was the pre-op. The big day is the 7th. I'm feeling fine, but my support system (mom and husband) are freaking out a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Livinglifereneeā€¦ said:

My date is may 2ndā€¦ā€¦

On my second week of diet as or yesterday. Having the hardest time w/this diet, only cause I'm diabetic and on depression meds, and I have to put something in my System to take them. I have dizziness, fatigue , and tend to be light headed at times. It took me over a year and a half to get to this surgery. Was scheduled for 3/12/24 but had a issue w/kidney. All good now, so don't wanna do anything to get it postponed again.

GOOD LUCK šŸŽ² TO ALL MAY PATIENTS !!!

Good luck to you tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2024 at 11:50 PM, SandyT said:

Hi, I'm Sandra and I am having a gastric sleeve on May 6th! I have been lurking here reading as much as i can of other's posts and have learned a lot. My situation is a little different as this is my second bariatric surgery. I had lap band surgery in 2009 and now am having it converted because my band stopped working for me. I did lose weight but then gained a lot back and recently have lost some again but need to lose more. My reason for surgery is to be healthier and hopefully improve my arthritis pain and mobility.

My emotions are currently all over the place, anxious, worried, happy and excited. I will start my liver prep diet in 1 week. Not looking forward to 2 weeks of shakes only. I really am not too concerned about the surgery itself, as I have had several surgeries, and the pain has not been bad afterwards.

As for my overnight hospital stay, I plan to pack as little as possible. I will plan on wearing home the clothes I arrive in. I think moisturizer and lip balm are good ideas. I may take a light robe. Someone mentioned a heating pad, but I don't think most hospitals allow you to bring them (coming from a retired RN here). They can be a burn hazard if they malfunction. If I am only staying overnight, I may not need reading materials. I will likely watch TV and nap. Slippers to walk in will be needed.

I wish you all the best of luck for an easy surgery and pain free post-op course!

Also a lap band 2010. But surgeon requires removal of band -heal for 6 weeks- then revision. So it has been a really long year for me so far. But now only 8 days from rny. I bought a weighted heat pad with levels of heat and an auto off function. It is wonderful. Dont plan on taking it to hosp. But will definitely come in handy at home

how is everyone handling the daily meal for your significant others? Today my husband called me at work and asked mento pick him up pizza on my way home!!!! Rudeā€¦ but he does need to eat and i dont want to cook. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Calli said:

Also a lap band 2010. But surgeon requires removal of band -heal for 6 weeks- then revision. So it has been a really long year for me so far. But now only 8 days from rny. I bought a weighted heat pad with levels of heat and an auto off function. It is wonderful. Dont plan on taking it to hosp. But will definitely come in handy at home

how is everyone handling the daily meal for your significant others? Today my husband called me at work and asked mento pick him up pizza on my way home!!!! Rudeā€¦ but he does need to eat and I don't want to cook. Lol.

I picked up several of the prepared meals in the deli at Walmart and my husband has been enjoying them. He also eats out several times a week. He understands that preparing meals would be too tempting for me.

I went to the hospital and had my outpatient testing today, took about 30 minutes. They discussed what medications I needed to hold before surgery. I am impressed with the preparations they have been giving me, I don't remember being this prepared for my band.

We're almost there, 5 days until surgery for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pat Hall said:

Surgery complete! It's now 12 hours since I went under. The surgery took 90 minutes, Docs said it went well.

I started to come to about 2 hours after the surgery was done. According to my wife, I was a happy drunk. I really don't remember coming back to my room.

As we speak, I'm hooked up to machines that are checking my pulseox, dripping fluids into me, and massaging my calves (which feels amazing).

I've taken some walks around the floor. The first one hurt (level 5) the others were much easier (level 2)

Not going to lie, my abdomen hurts. Any movement is uncomfortable since we use our core for everything. Not crippling pain just "yah! Hey that smarts!"

I'm sipping Water and chicken Soup slowly. I knocked back 2oz of Water like a whiskey shot just now. Mistake. I got bad heartburn from that. Sip sip sip.

Hope to go home tomorrow. Thanks for the good vibes!

So glad to hear it was a success and that you are doing well! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Mr.Kantos

      Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      Ā· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Frugal

      Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our clientā€™s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market.Ā 
      Ā· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

      I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

      Ā· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

        You look amazing!!! šŸ˜» you have been killing it!

      2. NickelChip

        Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

      3. BabySpoons

        So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

    • BeanitoDiego

      I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      Ā· 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

        That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

    • eclarke

      Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water. Ā Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      Ā· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    Ɨ