Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Before and After Photos

On 4/16/2024 at 4:52 AM, Arabesque said:

I spent about $100 ($64 US) on just a few vegetables (handful of green Beans & sugar snap peas, bunch of broccolini & asparagus, some grapes, tub of baby tomatoes, 2x tubs labneh, 2 pork chops & 3 chicken schnitzels). The grapes were the most expensive but will last me a couple of weeks.

Then went to the grocery store & spent another $130 on 2L milk, pack cheese sticks, macadamia nuts, mixed seeds, 3 bottles sparkling Water, tub of hummus, 8 Protein Bars, bag of frozen mixed vegetables & a few other bits & bobs (deodorant, toothpaste,…). Two large bags worth.

All for just one person. And I’ll be at the shops again next week (to get those cucumbers 😉.)

Sounds super expensive Arabesque. Absolutely beats me how people are expected to eat even remotely healthily. Especially people on lower budgets. A tax on sugary and ultra processed foods that directly subsidises fruit and veg maybe?

Just placed an order for $118.40US for 2 households (mine and my mom’s) the following- 5 English cucumbers, 3 12pk 12oz of gatorade zero, 4 6pk Diet Pepsi, 1/2 gallon chocolate milk, 1/2 gallon skim milk, Texas toast cheese bread slices, 1 jar Classico Pasta Sauce, 100ct paper plates, 1 tub sugar free vanilla ice cream, 1 3pk Sargento balance breaks (cheese and almonds), 1 30pk capri sun drinks, 4 red/orange bell peppers, 2 Keebler fudge stripe Cookies, a bag of US smarties, 2 6pks viva paper towels, 1 gallon dill pickles, 1 bunch vine ripe tomatoes, 2 broccoli crowns, 1 pint blueberries, 1 skinny pop white cheddar, 2 6oz blackberries, 2 8ct gogurt tubes, and a bag of takis.

And I’m absolutely hating that it’s costing that much. 😭 5 years ago it would’ve been half that.

lunch this afternoon....a giant piece of garlic toast (really should call it garlic LOAF, it was so thick!), with a side poached egg and a garden salad w/ sesame vinaigrette.

ate 1/4 of the toast-loaf and probably 1/4 of the egg (i dipped the toast-loaf in it, so can't really gauge how much i ate if it) and all the salad.

also had a sample (2 forkfuls) of the Kid's soufflé pancakes with some the the berry sauce (too sweet) and whipped cream (yum!)

(and a mimosa beforehand, not shown ;))

guessing 400 cals for everything i ate.

IMG_2414.thumb.jpeg.ababd62b966cc51d4aa5c07daade2081.jpeg

IMG_2417.thumb.jpeg.69912915b3012ffa35d7baa9ae3583ea.jpeg

6 hours ago, Spinoza said:

Sounds super expensive Arabesque. Absolutely beats me how people are expected to eat even remotely healthily. Especially people on lower budgets. A tax on sugary and ultra processed foods that directly subsidises fruit and veg maybe?

May be if they (the US gov’t) didn’t subsidise the growers of corn, wheat, soy Beans, rice, which are predominately used for the production of high & ultra processed foods, & they subsidised fruit, vegetables & meat producers instead you’d have greater access to healthier food & it would be cheaper. Farmers aren’t really subsidised in Australia. Subsidies are offered in rare cases to support producers in regard to our variable climate. It’s less than 2% - 2nd lowest in the world. So our prices for fruit, vegetables & meat are subject to the same ever cost of living increases (labour, electricity, Water, machinery, fertilisers, transportation, etc., etc.) as everyone else - producer, manufacturer, service provider, consumer here.

Posted (edited)

That has to be the way forward. What are the chances elsewhere in the world whilst big food companies are making billions in profit as populations become obese though? I have a horrible feeling that Australia might end up taking the lowest common denominator path unless there's a strong will not to.

Edited by Spinoza

696 calories for this salad!

i blame the feta and cashews...lol

the seasoned tofu was absolutely yum and i am already looking forward to ordering it again the next time we do chinese takeout

eyeballing the after pic, im estimating i ate about 2/3 of this salad. will likely eat the rest later (at the very least will eat the leftover tofu...yuuuummmmm)

IMG_2465.thumb.jpeg.98fbda001282e70158b5dd3a0336f196.jpeg

Looks yum as always. I had a crap day at work today so am eating a handful of Doritos and sour cream dip. Yes I am weak in moments of crisis. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

one of those days...it was 6:30 pm and realized i didn't eat all day (or drink for that matter...had a coffee in the AM but that was it...this could explain the headache i had all day...)

as soon as this dawned on me, i suddenly felt hungry.

i wonder if i didn't remember if i would feel hunger at all...?? 🤷🏻‍♀️

anyway, the only thing ready to eat in the fridge was the Kid's leftover pizza. so i ate a slice.

guessing 250 calories.

ate it cold (which i actually prefer over warm/hot pizza...i like my pizza cheese solid! lol)

IMG_2491.thumb.jpeg.2c2cfdbd45286592f8c743e05529f145.jpeg

A viewing of todays meals (might have dessert later who knows)

breakfast- oatmeal with almond powder and strawberries

lunch- romaine (cos), Tomato, cucumber, and chipotle black Beans and the snack also pictured is cottage cheese and strawberries

so dinner I made the kids pappardelle with Italian sausage, peppers and onions in tomato sauce, broccoli carrot slaw, and cider vinegar cucumbers. A child claimed the offending Pasta so I didn’t eat any. I wanted the peppers and onions more than anything but the broccoli slaw was really good. Go me!

IMG_8193.jpeg

IMG_8196.jpeg

IMG_8198.jpeg

IMG_8199.jpeg

IMG_8200.jpeg

IMG_8201.jpeg

a slice of the loaf of bread i baked yesterday with some jeujed up labneh (i added za'atar seasoning, olive oil, walnuts, fresh basil and honey (yummmm!!)

ate all the labneh and ½ the bread (it was pretty filling...i really want a nap now but i need to digest first....)

IMG_2530.thumb.jpeg.e293d6987ba59b02cc6e7f98c09aff7e.jpeg

I have been cooking but forgetting to post.

Lamb (shoulder?) with mashed potatoes and carrots

Salmon with mashed potatoes and carrots

Matzah Lasagna (homemade sauce and ricotta)

Avocado “toast” matzah

46B1530D-CF2B-4E8E-8260-57BE4EC9246D.jpeg

5329C45D-AC11-4889-B391-934DB6370DD1.jpeg

132050E3-51EB-4228-906B-E90AE0F6951F.jpeg

081611A5-427E-4BFC-AFC6-B5AA49A3173C.jpeg

Edited by GreenTealael