Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

Hey, February surgery buddies: February is next week! If you haven't already, this would be a great time to take your "before" photos and measurements. I see so many posts from people who wish they had remembered to do it before surgery, and lots of others who are so glad they did because it gives you a great non-scale victory to focus on during the process.

Tips:

• Choose something form fitting to wear, such as exercise clothing, and plan to keep it so you can take your photo wearing the same thing once a month for the next year or more.
  • Try to take the pictures in the same spot each time and choose a background without too much distraction, like a blank wall.
  • Use good lighting.
  • Get front, back, and side angles.
  • No sucking it in or tricky poses to make you look smaller. Let it all hang out!
  • As hard as it may be to look at the photos now, you'll appreciate it later when you can compare the results and truly see your progress If it's too hard to look at photos, don't opt out! Have your spouse or a best friend, someone you trust, take the pictures and keep them for you to look at later.
  • For measurements, make sure you do the standard chest, waist, hips, and also get help doing your right and left biceps and thighs, plus calves and neck.

My original date was 1/11, but a case of RSV had

me rescheduled me to February 29th.

My surgeon advised the lean Protein, certain low carb/low gassy vegetables and Protein Shakes diet, max of 900 calories per day. Also the sugar free popsicles, jellos etc. I did it before my first date was cancelled and lost 10+ pounds. Im looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, Rae70 said:

My original date was 1/11, but a case of RSV had

me rescheduled me to February 29th.

My surgeon advised the lean Protein, certain low carb/low gassy vegetables and Protein Shakes diet, max of 900 calories per day. Also the sugar free popsicles, jellos etc. I did it before my first date was cancelled and lost 10+ pounds. Im looking forward to it.

Having to reschedule is such an ordeal. I was supposed to have mine originally in late December and had to switch programs because mine closed. I hope your new date will go smoothly!

Day one of my liquid diet. After re reading my pre op diet, it states that I can’t have creamy Soups. 😕 I hope these two weeks go by super fast.

3 hours ago, Bariover54 said:

Day one of my liquid diet. After re reading my pre op diet, it states that I can’t have creamy Soups. 😕 I hope these two weeks go by super fast.

Mine says the same, although I can have them post-op. Pre-op I am allowed cream of Tomato if it is made with Water or skim milk. Post op I can have cream Soups and cream of wheat Cereal, and also V8 juice (no other juices). Mine has a bold warning on the pre-op diet to tell you it's similar but not identical to post-op.

I had my final pre-op appointment with my surgeon today. Nothing really to report as it was very routine. I weighed in about 3lbs down from 3 weeks ago. That was nice, but I'll admit I have not been too strict the past week about my food. I start my 2 week liquid diet in 2 weeks and that'll be plenty strict so I've stopped for fast food once and had some chocolate when I normally wouldn't. I see the nutritionist next Thursday and then it's just a countdown to Feb 21!

On 1/22/2024 at 8:52 AM, NickelChip said:

Hey, February surgery buddies: February is next week! If you haven't already, this would be a great time to take your "before" photos and measurements. I see so many posts from people who wish they had remembered to do it before surgery, and lots of others who are so glad they did because it gives you a great non-scale victory to focus on during the process.

Tips:

• Choose something form fitting to wear, such as exercise clothing, and plan to keep it so you can take your photo wearing the same thing once a month for the next year or more.
  • Try to take the pictures in the same spot each time and choose a background without too much distraction, like a blank wall.
  • Use good lighting.
  • Get front, back, and side angles.
  • No sucking it in or tricky poses to make you look smaller. Let it all hang out!
  • As hard as it may be to look at the photos now, you'll appreciate it later when you can compare the results and truly see your progress If it's too hard to look at photos, don't opt out! Have your spouse or a best friend, someone you trust, take the pictures and keep them for you to look at later.
  • For measurements, make sure you do the standard chest, waist, hips, and also get help doing your right and left biceps and thighs, plus calves and neck.

Just got my surgery scheduled for Feb 7th. Start my two week liquid diet tomorrow.
My first weigh in October with the Bariatric center was 363 lbs. I weighed at the Surgeons office today at 310 lbs. Ready to get this done and move on.

My sister is going in for her sleeve surgery tomorrow. I’m praying everything goes well, and that God blesses the doctors and nurses caring for her. Our poor mom is a wreck worried about us having wls two weeks apart.

On 01/23/2024 at 22:24, Bariover54 said:

My sister is going in for her sleeve surgery tomorrow. I’m praying everything goes well, and that God blesses the doctors and nurses caring for her. Our poor mom is a wreck worried about us having wls two weeks apart.

I am so sorry about your mom having to worry however I love the idea that you and sis are going through this together!

My surgery is 15th feb, had my pre op today.

I should have had it 18 months ago but i couldnt do it.

However, i am now very excited but nervous. My pre op diet is 5 pints of semi skimmed milk for 2 weeks

29 minutes ago, Holrob said:

My surgery is 15th feb, had my pre op today.

I should have had it 18 months ago but i couldnt do it.

However, i am now very excited but nervous. My pre op diet is 5 pints of semi skimmed milk for 2 weeks

I feel the same... excited and nervous. I was so lucky that the therapist who did my psych evaluation for the surgeon had the surgery about 10 years ago and has kept her weight off. I'm meeting with her again 2 days before surgery for some reassurance and help with the nerves.

All you get for 2 weeks is skimmed milk? that sounds really harsh! I'm not even sure that's sustainable???

19 hours ago, Bariover54 said:

Please let us know how your sister is doing!

6 hours ago, LisaCaryl said:

I feel the same... excited and nervous. I was so lucky that the therapist who did my psych evaluation for the surgeon had the surgery about 10 years ago and has kept her weight off. I'm meeting with her again 2 days before surgery for some reassurance and help with the nerves.

All you get for 2 weeks is skimmed milk? that sounds really harsh! I'm not even sure that's sustainable???

Yeh i did 10 weeks previously with oxo cube at night and Multivitamins

Its manageable but need the will to do it