Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Before and After Photos

On 3/24/2024 at 12:07 AM, Arabesque said:

Chinese yum cha lunch with girl friends yesterday

I was today years old when I learned that I’ve been saying it wrong this whole time!

All my life i've said: “let’s go to Dim Sim”

When I should be saying “let’s Yum Cha”

dim sum is the food, yum cha is the process of going to get said food!

(yep, I googled it…now I’m off to impress family and friends with this newfound knowledge)

18 hours ago, Tomo said:

I have too many favorites but the one that popped up in my mind reading your post is probably Hakata ramen (aka Tonkotsu Ramen) from the Fukuoka prefecture, Japan. I also like Singapore noodles which are not for Singapore but interestingly a Cantonese dish. So suffice it say, I can't have my favorite dishes too often lol.

At least it remains special this way!

4 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I was today years old when I learned that I’ve been saying it wrong this whole time!

All my life i've said: “let’s go to Dim Sim”

When I should be saying “let’s Yum Cha”

dim sum is the food, yum cha is the process of going to get said food!

(yep, I googled it…now I’m off to impress family and friends with this newfound knowledge)

I also had no clue it was called yum cha!

That’s interesting. Cultural differences?? It’s always promoted as Yum Cha here in Australia and we all call it that. Shall we go for Yum Cha? Does that Chinese offer Yum Cha? Funny the differences in terminology around food. Cookies - biscuits. Jelly - jam (not to be confused with marmalade). Romaine - Cos. Courgette -zucchini. All purpose flour - plain flour.Aubergine - eggplant. Fries - chips. ketchup - Tomato sauce. ….

This has been my go to Breakfast this week. Two hard boiled eggs, half an avocado diced and mixed together in a bowl. I did add in a pinch or two of shredded cheese - I used some Kerrygold Dubliner cheese because that’s what I had already shredded. Spread the mixture on two slices of toasted Sara Lee 45 cal bread, no butter and sprinkle with everything bagel season. Adjust as necessary as the everything bagel can be salty. The mixture egg/avocado mix makes two servings so below toast is half the bowl spread on the toast.  About 200 calories per slice. 

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

Posted (edited)

My kid made a large batch of Turkey burgers and I’m the only one eating them 🧐 At least they’re good! I ate about 70% of this but logged the whole meal

2020B9D0-8B50-4EA6-BC53-1316E60A8667.jpeg

56B377B3-723C-46E8-ADE2-E9A8F4A2C688.jpeg

C9A5BABD-D06A-4DB0-8503-561E7643AB31.jpeg

Edited by GreenTealael

every week or so, i do the "fridge clean up", and toss the foods that are no longer edible and make attempts to salvage the foods that are on the brink of inedible.

this morning i tossed a bunch of leftover chinese food, ½ a wheel of brie, an almost full tub of sour cream, and an unopened box mixed greens (this made me sad :( )

BUT here are some items i was able to save/repurpose/extend shelf life of:

1. leftover fresh parsley and super ripe lemon into...PESTO!

2. uncut cumber bought over a week ago into...SWEET AND SOUR PICKLED CUCUMBERS!

3. almost dried out baby carrots and the remnants of a tub of spreadable cream cheese and 2 old apples that i made into applesauce into...CARROT CARE WITH CREAM CHEESE ICING (Mr. ate like 2/3 of the cake before i got to take a pic of it)

and finally:

4: ½ a head of cabbage that i shredded to include in the filling of these EGG ROLLS! that i prepped to freeze and cook another day.

phew. i feel very accomplished with my very productive morning...now im gonna go veg on the couch and watch tv!

IMG_2358.thumb.jpeg.1b352290742e4149df0469aa5bb98e2d.jpeg

IMG_2359.thumb.jpeg.fc233d6000a49b6fcf5d32cf773f0200.jpeg

IMG_2360.thumb.jpeg.3a16667eefe6a2d621ba72b27b7bf87e.jpeg

IMG_2361.thumb.jpeg.93ebf78c51a6dddd4cb4f68c4979e76a.jpeg

so yeah, despite the produced fruits of my labours this AM, my snack of choice at the moment is:

a handful of BBQ chips, a 5 chocolate covered cashews and 1/4 cup of regular roasted salted cashews.

estimated 450 calories. (we'll see how much i eat of it, but most likely all of it will end up in me before the day is over...unless Mr. gets his paws in it...)

IMG_2390.thumb.jpeg.eec5dbc218696942433839243bca45e5.jpeg

Posted (edited)

What a productive morning @ms.sss. I had a fridge clean out this morning too but there was no saving my leftover cabbage or sugar snap peas. There are two limes I’m giving another few days.

Was considering making some pickled cucumbers a couple of weeks ago too but turned out I had eaten the two I had. Now I’m thinking I should just buy some more. Mmm??

PS. How are vegetable prices in the northern hemisphere? Still recovering from the $14 punnet of blueberries 125g/4.4oz last week.

Edited by Arabesque

23 hours ago, Arabesque said:

What a productive morning @ms.sss. I had a fridge clean out this morning too but there was no saving my leftover cabbage or sugar snap peas. There are two limes I’m giving another few days.

Was considering making some pickled cucumbers a couple of weeks ago too but turned out I had eaten the two I had. Now I’m thinking I should just buy some more. Mmm??

PS. How are vegetable prices in the northern hemisphere? Still recovering from the $14 punnet of blueberries 125g/4.4oz last week.

Last week I spent $96.94US for groceries of which one was a delivery order so that covered fees and tip, too. (The delivery item prices don’t include the discounts or sales promo code I had for $30 off $60

IMG_8032.jpeg

IMG_8033.png

IMG_8034.png

IMG_8035.jpeg

I spent about $100 ($64 US) on just a few vegetables (handful of green Beans & sugar snap peas, bunch of broccolini & asparagus, some grapes, tub of baby tomatoes, 2x tubs labneh, 2 pork chops & 3 chicken schnitzels). The grapes were the most expensive but will last me a couple of weeks.

Then went to the grocery store & spent another $130 on 2L milk, pack cheese sticks, macadamia nuts, mixed seeds, 3 bottles sparkling Water, tub of hummus, 8 Protein Bars, bag of frozen mixed vegetables & a few other bits & bobs (deodorant, toothpaste,…). Two large bags worth.

All for just one person. And I’ll be at the shops again next week (to get those cucumbers 😉.)

@Starwarsandcupcakes, while i love the neat, organized look of your grocery booty in your trunk, how the heck did they STAY so neat and tidy back there??? and how many trips did it take you to bring em all inside without bags??????

your pepsi stash looks just like our coke zero stash in the laundry room. haha.

@Arabesque: i am always in awe with how much you Brisbainians (?) spend on blueberries. the shock of seeing a package of bluberries for $12+ AUD back in 2011 is still i story i tell people today (fyi blueberries are on sale in my grocery for $2.99 CAD today)

prices of veggies change as they come in and out of season, just like other places. and every once in a while out of season stuff go on sale. i bought a single (large-ish) sweet potato for $1.25 this morning. as well as 1 english cucumber for $1.50. small bag of baby carrots for $2.50, and a crown of broccoli for almost $3.00. including some chips, a tub of sour cream, juice, chipolte powder and kitchen garbage bags, i spent about $25.

am probably going to go grocery shopping again tomorrow (i forgot to buy garlic, plus i tend to go almost every day anyway and just buy a little bit at a time) i'll pay more attention and report back to you! lol.

A couple of years ago I’d pay $6 for a punnet of blueberries. I didn’t mind as the quality was always excellent. I usually ended up tossing any cheaper $2 punnets I’d buy after a day or two - bruised, overripe & sometimes mouldy - yikes!

We don’t experience seasonal price fluctuations on lots of our mainstream fruits & vegetables here. So a head of broccoli costs about the same all year round. My family is contracted to a major supermarket chain to provide12 month continuous supplies of a number of vegetables across most of the country. So they produce in several locations. For example corn & green Beans in summer in SE Queensland & in North Queensland in winter where it’s still warm enough to grow them. Supply can affect price though it’s usually due to extreme weather.

Supermarkets will do specials on random fruits & vegetables but the cost is carried by the producer even though the store chooses to put something on special. The reverse is true too. The supermarket puts up the price but the producer doesn’t get paid more.

18 hours ago, ms.sss said:

@Starwarsandcupcakes, while i love the neat, organized look of your grocery booty in your trunk, how the heck did they STAY so neat and tidy back there??? and how many trips did it take you to bring em all inside without bags??????

your pepsi stash looks just like our coke zero stash in the laundry room. haha.

I may have staged the picture but I always have canvas totes to carry it in and kids who enjoy going through the spoils of grocery day. 😂

On 4/6/2024 at 2:28 PM, GettinSkinnywithit said:

This has been my go to Breakfast this week. Two hard boiled eggs, half an avocado diced and mixed together in a bowl. I did add in a pinch or two of shredded cheese - I used some Kerrygold Dubliner cheese because that’s what I had already shredded. Spread the mixture on two slices of toasted Sara Lee 45 cal bread, no butter and sprinkle with everything bagel season. Adjust as necessary as the everything bagel can be salty. The mixture egg/avocado mix makes two servings so below toast is half the bowl spread on the toast. About 200 calories per slice.

Oh I eat a variation on this all the time. Without the bread though - that still sits in my stomach like a lump of lead.

Avocado and (for me fried) egg is a match made in heaven. And yes, you have to have some seasoning. 🤩