Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 4/24/2024 at 9:37 PM, Calli said:

5/10. Im a bit nervous. Also a failed lap band from 2010 :( but my team is great and im envisioning a healthy future to keep me motivated.
I packed lip balm. Moisturizer. Earplugs. Phone charger.

Don’t plan on being there long and come home in same clothes wore in! The dietitian said not to plan on liking any Protein Shake i liked preop so be careful what you stock up on. I seem not to mind any of them so it will be ok!

New to posting and talking about all this.

We won't like our preop shakes? ? How come? I'm worried about that. I bought small canisters of Gold Standard shakes for the after shakes. I hope I can stomach them. Hah!

I'll post my observations.

My date is may 2nd……

On my second week of diet as or yesterday. Having the hardest time w/this diet, only cause I'm diabetic and on depression meds, and I have to put something in my System to take them. I have dizziness, fatigue , and tend to be light headed at times. It took me over a year and a half to get to this surgery. Was scheduled for 3/12/24 but had a issue w/kidney. All good now, so don't wanna do anything to get it postponed again.

GOOD LUCK 🎲 TO ALL MAY PATIENTS !!!

Does anyone know what is involved in the pre-op appointment? Mine is Monday (April 29), and they told me it would be about 4 hours long, but it didn't occur to me to ask what will happen.

I mostly work from home, but had to dig out work clothes for a week in the office last week. Every evening I would come home and think "well, that's probably the last time I will ever wear that." I am having more clothes funerals than food funerals.

@Zingor4 Hours??!! Is this like, right before your surgery? I've had two pre-op appointments, both took about 30 minutes. The first was with a nutritionist who went through the "no kidding" diet restrictions for the post op time and my blood work and the Vitamins I'd need to order. She was even more insistent that there should be NO VITAMINS until 2 weeks post op. T

The other appointment was with the regular surgical nurse who went through what to bring to the hospital (CPAP machine, etc.) and what not to bring (valuables, all my kids, etc.) whether I had any allergies to meds and my history of prior operations, anesthesia difficulties, whether I needed help with translation, etc.

And I'm with you on the clothes. When do we pull the trigger on buying new stuff?

She said that whatever you drink the week prior to surgery during the fast, many people seem not to like it afterwards. She said everyone is different and sometimes your taste preferences change.

@Zinger I had 2 preop appts, one with my surgeon, 30 min, and one with my dietician 1 hr. But a few weeks before that I had initial visits with the dietician and social worker. The hospital called today and scheduled me to come in next week for my preop testing. Maybe your providers combine some appts so that it takes 4 hrs? I am learning that every surgeon has a different process.

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

My name is Brandi and I am on my 5th day of the liver shrinking diet and my surgery date is scheduled for 5/15/24. I’ve been having severe muscle pain. Is that normal? Do you have any suggestions or solution I can do for this pain in my butt and leg area. I really didn’t have any direction of what I should bring to the hospital. I assume that they would instruct me during my preop appointment on the 10th for instructions. I know it’s just a one to two days stay so I probably won’t bring much.
God bless,

Brandi

Edited by Brandi S.

On 4/15/2024 at 8:50 PM, SandyT said:

Hi, I'm Sandra and I am having a gastric sleeve on May 6th! I have been lurking here reading as much as i can of other's posts and have learned a lot. My situation is a little different as this is my second bariatric surgery. I had lap band surgery in 2009 and now am having it converted because my band stopped working for me. I did lose weight but then gained a lot back and recently have lost some again but need to lose more. My reason for surgery is to be healthier and hopefully improve my arthritis pain and mobility.

My emotions are currently all over the place, anxious, worried, happy and excited. I will start my liver prep diet in 1 week. Not looking forward to 2 weeks of shakes only. I really am not too concerned about the surgery itself, as I have had several surgeries, and the pain has not been bad afterwards.

As for my overnight hospital stay, I plan to pack as little as possible. I will plan on wearing home the clothes I arrive in. I think moisturizer and lip balm are good ideas. I may take a light robe. Someone mentioned a heating pad, but I don't think most hospitals allow you to bring them (coming from a retired RN here). They can be a burn hazard if they malfunction. If I am only staying overnight, I may not need reading materials. I will likely watch TV and nap. Slippers to walk in will be needed.

I wish you all the best of luck for an easy surgery and pain free post-op course!

Hi Sandra,

Two weeks of shakes are the hardest but once you get past the surgery you will kill for that. I would not plan on staying in bed often after the surgery during the hospital stay. It is best to start walking at least once an hour. I was the only one of the 12 people who got the surgery who was up all night just walking. Hospital beds are the worst to sleep in. Best of luck in your journey.

Posted (edited)

Hi. I'm having my surgery done on May 12 in Turkey. I'm excited and very nervous at the same time. I'm most excited about being thin for the first time in my life and not having to move my stomach out of the way when I tie up my sneakers!

Great advice re: things to pack.

I'm struggling now with all the eating I'm doing now as the "last time." Just gorging and justifying it by saying I won't be able to eat this soon! Anyone else doing the same?

Edited by Barbara_May2024

Hello! My surgery is scheduled for 5/31!
1) I’m not too nervous other than failure.
2) Haven’t really gotten that far yet. Probably some moo moo dresses to be comfy, that’s about it.
3) Hopefully a life long change to a better me!

11 days to go! My friend just asked me out to dinner for next week before surgery and i explained we can go but i wont be eating! Lol. So had to explain the pre op diet. So maybe we will just go shopping. Im going to need a shopping buddy anyway.

I just started my liver reduction diet (pre-op diet) today, and I am hoping it'll be okay! 😖

I know I get so dizzy & nauseous when I am severely hungry, so it will be interesting to see how this goes haha.

It feels surreal now that surgery is so close, and I am at the beginning of the *real* countdown now. I keep looking at things like chocolate and other Snacks that are still in the house (due to a snacky boyfriend haha), and I am thinking...usually I'd give into my cravings, and just eat what I want, but I CAN'T.

It is both difficult, but liberating.

On 4/29/2024 at 7:37 AM, Barbara_May2024 said:

I'm most excited about being thin for the first time in my life and not having to move my stomach out of the way when I tie up my sneakers!

I'm struggling now with all the eating I'm doing now as the "last time." Just gorging and justifying it by saying I won't be able to eat this soon! Anyone else doing the same?

Both of these things are going though my head!!

I can't wait to be able to tie up my trainers without my tummy and my ten tonne tits getting in the way 😂

I definitely was eating whatever I wanted before I started my pre-op diet today!

@Calli it is a strange feeling isn't it! I feel that although there are things we won't be able to do for now, the things we WILL be able to do because of having this surgery will be amazing. I am need of a shopping buddy...I may have to ask my mum haha!