Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 years out not losing weight

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Tazrok said:

When i last had a hospital appointment they said the mushrooms peppers and onions are all good for nutrition and the mozzarella is also good for Protein providing its in small amounts like 40grams

Mushrooms offer some Fiber and are relatively low calorie, so I wouldn't worry about a few of those and are approved by my bariatrc team. The cheese is too much, in fact it looks like the largest quantity on your plate. You should get at most something like one full skim string cheese stick a day. Add next non starch veggies at most 1/4 cup per meal and 3oz cup of lean Protein and one tablespoon of starchy veggies - that's it! I'd also eliminate the imitation crab/fish sticks, too much protein.

So it should consist of:

3 oz lean protein / Protein Shake is calorie.

1/4 cup non starchy veggie

1 tablespoon starchy veggies

and in between meals 64oz of Water. Snacks can be the string cheese (skim) ..this type of thing...

What you had on your plate isn't bad, but it is closer to a maintenance diet after you've lost the weight plate of food!

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

Definitely cut down the cheese, add veggies and some fruit, keep your fluids up (not sure how much you drink now), and keep your snacking to an absolute MINIMUM. Try to stay away from carbonated drinks, give yourself some variety in your foods, and try using a tracking app to track what you eat, how much, and what you shouldn't eat.

First, there is no one right way to eat to lose or maintain your weight. There’s just the right way for you.

I agree to the suggestion to get in contact with your old dietician or find a new one. I’d also teach for a couple of weeks just to check your calorie & nutrient intake. I’d also get in contact with your surgeon as well to see what other options you have - revision surgery or maybe GLP - 1 meds.

You’ve likely reset your body’s set point. The surgery lowered it but returning to larger portions, poor food choices & bad old habits have raised your set point again. So you’re actually fighting your body now. You’re trying to lose weight & your body is doing all it can to hold on to it. Have a look at Dr Matthew Weiner’s Pound of Loss metabolic reset diet (not that I’m an advocate for any ‘diets’.) It may give you some ideas you could try to see if works for you. He’s a great source of information around all things weight loss, bariatric surgery, etc. (He has a website & a you tube channel.)

If you like being active, I’d add in some weights. Building muscle will help burn more calories & help counteract any muscle loss you experience while losing. Walking will help with general fitness. Remember though, activity only contributes to about 10% of any weight loss.

Oh & don’t listen to your family & friends when they offer advice about your eating, nutrition or weight loss. They mean well but unless they’re qualified nutritionalist, dieticians, bariatric surgeons or medical doctors or had bariatric surgery they really don’t know what they’re talking about. And they’re not you. You know yourself best. You know your psychologically, physiologically & emotionally self best & know how you want to live your life.

All the best.

For the people asking for amounts each meal is.

64 grams of seafood sticks
40 grams of mozzarella
105 grams of steamed chicken breast with peri peri salt
24 grams of peppers with garlic and chilli herbs cooked in air fryer without oil
38 grams of steamed mushrooms
50 grams of onion cooked in air fryer

Can't get everything but in converting to ounces:

2.25 seafood stick 200 calories?
1.5 mozzarella 175 calories
3.7 breast 200 calories
.05 pepper 30 calories
1.35 shrooms 30 calories
1.76 onion 18 calories

So right there over 600 calories, 2x a day is 1200 calories. Add the eggs in and that's over 1300 calories. Depending on what your calorie needs are for a day, there is your food.

I'd tend to agree with folks on getting rid of the mozzarella and seafood sticks. The chicken (or turkey, fresh fish but not salmon which is high calorie/fat) would be better. If you wanted to substitute fresh veggies that were mentioned before, that would be better as you're not getting in really any fiber or greens.

As I dropped weight my caloric needs went down. I'm sure you've gotten that, but upping the calorie expenditure is another thing. If your body is used to a mile walk, walking at a faster pace or jogging or doing 1.5 or 2 miles would be next suggestion.

You also don't detail what you drink. That is a huge factor. Pulling for you!

Seafood sticks are 18 calories each and I have 4 so that's 72 total calories.

Mozzarella I have is 90 calories for 30g so the 40 grams is 120 calories

So that works out at

2.25 seafood stick 72 calories?
1.5 mozzarella 120 calories
3.7 breast 200 calories
.05 pepper 30 calories
1.35 shrooms 30 calories
1.76 onion 18 calories

2 medium size hard boiled eggs 60 calories each total 120

Total 470 and that 2 times a day is 940 a day plus the 2 eggs is 1060 calories a day I think

Just adding my voice to the general advice to eat 3-4oz of Protein per meal (chicken breast seems best for you?) Then a couple of oz of green veg. Berries for Snacks if you really need those. Ditch everything else from that plate? I totally agree there's nothing awful on it but if you are fighting a new set weight (WLS can do a number on that) you might need to redraw the lines of battle.

Strictly protein and green veg till you're losing consistently?

How tall are you? For shorter people we unfortunately have to eat less. I've been struggling with an 18 lb/8 kg regain and I had to replace my food scale because the one I had was no longer giving accurate weights.

3 hours ago, starladustangel said:

How tall are you? For shorter people we unfortunately have to eat less. I've been struggling with an 18 lb/8 kg regain and I had to replace my food scale because the one I had was no longer giving accurate weights.

In 5 foot 11 inch (180cm)