Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about fats.

Okay so I am still so terrible with this stuff but my dietician makes it seem so much more confusing and I really need to understand this so I can get it right this time. I asked her what my requirements would be post SADI surgery and she said 1000-1200 calories 90g Protein 90 carbs (45 fruit and veggies and 45 from starch), and 15g fat.

I am trying to eat similar to that now to see what it’s like and I am logging my food. I figured my portions will be a little larger so I won’t be able to hit the exact goals but wanted to see where I am. This morning I did great with my protein iced coffee which is just a caramel shake with some coffee mixed in. Low calorie and carb and high protein. This afternoon however I thought I would have 2 scrambled eggs and one Turkey sausage Patty.

The calories and carbs are fine but it seems like Either that fat goal is unrealistic or the protein goal is from normal food if there is really 15g of fat in two scrambled eggs and only like 13 grams of protein? Even if I forget the 7g of fat leaving out the Turkey sausage just two eggs is too much fat for one meal and reduces the protein. I hate egg whites but assumed two scrambled eggs would be okay. I know post surgery I will not eat two whole eggs which will reduce the fat some but also the protein. Could i add Protein Powder to the egg or something? Maybe an egg and a yogurt would be a better option? Or Do I have to just suck it up and eat the egg whites.

She also said something about three teaspoons of “healthy fat” and I’m not sure if that’s in addition to the 15g of mono and polyunsaturated fat or if 15 is the total which may be where I’m getting confused. I just emailed her asking for clarification but last time it took her like two weeks to get back to me so I figured I’d see if anyone else can make sense of this.

You might want to post this in the DS forum as well, as I know their requirements are different than those of the other surgeries. You guys eat more calories and more fat the rest of us (plus I remember certain carbs ar tough on DSers - they can cause G/I distress).

I just looked up the nutritional value of eggs, and yes, your stats on both Protein and fat in them are correct. The yolks are mostly fat. But then I would think eggs would be great for DSers - they're very nutrition, and you guys don't have to be as concerned about fat.

41 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

You might want to post this in the DS forum as well, as I know their requirements are different than those of the other surgeries. You guys eat more calories and more fat the rest of us (plus I remember certain carbs ar tough on DSers - they can cause G/I distress).

I just looked up the nutritional value of eggs, and yes, your stats on both Protein and fat in them are correct. The yolks are mostly fat. But then I would think eggs would be great for DSers - they're very nutrition, and you guys don't have to be as concerned about fat.

Thanks. I did get a reply from someone with DS and she said that she thinks that my dietician is wrong about the fat and the carbs. For her those Carbs are too high and the fat is too low (which makes sense if the absorption is less of everything except for carbs with that surgery. I thought it was pretty crazy for two scrambled eggs to be all the fat I could have for the whole day with any surgery. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Monday and I’m going to ask him if I can maybe set an appt to talk to him about nutrition or if he has another suggestion since that dietician seems to be misinformed when it comes to this surgery as well. . If she doesn’t even know the general guidelines she certainly isn’t going to be able to answer questions about specific foods. I did see some information online about the post op diet from a bariatric center in Mexico that goes over specific foods that are more or less tolerated which I will try to find again ask him to review but that’s the most information I found and it doesn’t mention macros at all.

On 4/26/2024 at 2:59 PM, ShoppGirl said:

I asked her what my requirements would be post SADI surgery and she said 1000-1200 calories 90g Protein 90 carbs (45 fruit and veggies and 45 from starch), and 15g fat.

ok, well the macros your NUT provided only come up to 855 calorie :

(4 cal/g of Protein *90)+(4 cal/g of carbs *90)+(9 cal/g of fats *15) = 855

..did they say (or care) how you make up the remaining calories to be in the 1000-1200 goal window?

15 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

ok, well the macros your NUT provided only come up to 855 calorie :

(4 cal/g of Protein *90)+(4 cal/g of carbs *90)+(9 cal/g of fats *15) = 855

..did they say (or care) how you make up the remaining calories to be in the 1000-1200 goal window?

No, she didn’t say anything beyond that. Honestly I’m not sure if it’s because she doesn’t care or more because she just doesn’t know. Which is extra frustrating since I called her office and specifically asked if she was prepared to help with this particular surgery and they had to get back to me so they asked her. I basically feel like I wasted $100 at this point. On top of that the vets on here that had DS which is the closest thing are telling me that she is way off on carbs and fat and that DS doesn’t really pay attention to calories at all. I have an appt with the surgeon tomorrow and I already have a list of questions about the surgery itself so I’m going to ask him if I can make another appointment with him to talk about nutrition or if he has another nutritionist he can reccomend because this is getting to be ridiculous.

Would it make more sense if the fat was supposed to be 15g per meal? It seemed like she was calculating it from three meals when she was talking to me because she was adding the carbs out loud. That seems like a mistake that could be easily made and that would be closer to what the DS vets have said. Still not quite as high but it is a little different surgery than DS. Plus adding 30 more grams of fat brings the calories to 1,125 if I’m understanding and calculating that correctly which falls within that range that she gave me.