Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

Hi and I hope all my fellow December Bandsters are doing well. I am hoping that some of you can give me some advice or let me know your experiences. I have been feeling nauseous since I woke up this morning (nope I'm not pregnant...lol) and it is getting worse as the evening goes on. I have been suffering with gas and diarrhea since before my surgery, but I'm drinking a lot, so I don't think I'm dehydrated. Is this something that is considered normal or should I be worried? I have my first post op appointment on the 6th. I posted this in both the December Bandsters and here to make sure I got it in the right place. Are we just using this one now?

Hey Kim, It sounds more like youre getting sick since you say youve followed the plan and are eating. Do you have a fever? I havent been nauseous at all.

Hey Kim, It sounds more like youre getting sick since you say youve followed the plan and are eating. Do you have a fever? I havent been nauseous at all.

Thanks and i think you might be right. I don't have a fever, but I feel like I would feel so much better if I could just throw up, but I can't. I tried last night and I had this huge burp that I didn't think it would ever end. No food or anything came up, though. I go back to work today, so we'll see how that goes. I'm gonna call the dr when I get to the office and see if what he has to say. Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it!!!

Hi fellow bandsters!

Well, it's been 3 weeks (banded on 12/14). I feel great, but I haven't lost a single ounce! In fact, I've gained 2 lbs since my surgery, but I've been reading on other threads that this is normal when you start eating solids after the 2 pre-op weeks and 2 post-op weeks of liquids and Protein shakes! I've been doing everything by the book, eating 1/2-1 cup of food per meal, but I'm not feeling full. Any other new bandsters having similar experiences? I've been reading that this could be because some surgeons put the band in empty to give you healing time, but I feel like I'm ready for my first fill NOW, and my appt isn't until 1/21! Will they fill me early? I didn't have surgery to GAIN weight!

Happy New Year!

Hi and I hope all my fellow December Bandsters are doing well. I am hoping that some of you can give me some advice or let me know your experiences. I have been feeling nauseous since I woke up this morning (nope I'm not pregnant...lol) and it is getting worse as the evening goes on. I have been suffering with gas and diarrhea since before my surgery, but I'm drinking a lot, so I don't think I'm dehydrated. Is this something that is considered normal or should I be worried? I have my first post op appointment on the 6th. I posted this in both the December Bandsters and here to make sure I got it in the right place. Are we just using this one now?

kimmi, are you lactose intolerant? my shakes started causing problems such as cramping and diarrhea, but the lactaid supplements are helping.

hope you get some answers. i'm not suggesting not calling your doc!

Hi fellow bandsters!

Well, it's been 3 weeks (banded on 12/14). I feel great, but I haven't lost a single ounce! In fact, I've gained 2 lbs since my surgery, but I've been reading on other threads that this is normal when you start eating solids after the 2 pre-op weeks and 2 post-op weeks of liquids and Protein shakes! I've been doing everything by the book, eating 1/2-1 cup of food per meal, but I'm not feeling full. Any other new bandsters having similar experiences? I've been reading that this could be because some surgeons put the band in empty to give you healing time, but I feel like I'm ready for my first fill NOW, and my appt isn't until 1/21! Will they fill me early? I didn't have surgery to GAIN weight!

Happy New Year!

I was banded on the 17th, and progressed pretty quickly from liquids to mushies to solids (albeit soft solids). My food intake right now is about 3/4 - 1 cup, and I am feeling restriction, even though there is no Fluid in my band. I don't go for my first fill until Feb. 2.

My surgeon is pretty strict on 6 weeks before first fill, to give your stomach complete opportunity to heal. After that, he will fill you as your hunger dictates. My second fill will be on Feb. 8, as he says the first fill doesn't last long at all.

I'm hoping my current restriction lasts as I've been doing really well with the weight loss. In fact, I was nicely surprised this morning when I stepped on the scale to see I had lost another 3.5 pounds. Also, as I was dressing for work this morning, I could button one of my jackets another button, where I normally leave the top 3 buttons undone because it's too tight. And the jacket fits so much looser! What a great NSV! (non scale victory)

I'm also trying to eat like I was when I was on my pre-op diet (high protein, low carb solid foods). Although I'm not restricting myself to 30 grams of carbs a day, I'm still trying to get in lots of protein and keep my carbs under 150 grams. I have been out to dinner once - had to have some chinese food. Otherwise, all of my meals have been home cooked (well, except when I had my hubby bring home some refried Beans, shredded chicken, cheese, onions, tomotoes and a tostada shell from his restuarant). I think that in and of itself has helped bring the weight off because before I started my pre-op diet, I was eating out at least once every single day.

I have also started incorporating exercise into my routine. This is helping too with the weight loss. I'm doing my Wii Fit Plus and Walk Away the Pounds videos.

Good luck!

Hi fellow bandsters!

Happy New Year!

Yep, Yep and Yep! This is me too. I gained 2 pounds since I started back on solids. So, today I start to log my food and count prot. and calories. I will not go back. I don't care if I'm starving until I get to my sweet spot. My first fill isn't until the 18th and that may only give me a little relief. So, Back to dieting 101!!! I'm gald I'm not suffering alone but sorry for you. Welcome to Bandster Hell. Boy do I sound pessimistic or what? Oh well! Hugs to you!!!:blushing::frown::thumbup:

just purged my closet of 28's. I am not going back.

Wish i was at 100%, though. i had to borrow my sons to help with the lifting!

Yep, Yep and Yep! This is me too. I gained 2 pounds since I started back on solids. So, today I start to log my food and count prot. and calories. I will not go back. I don't care if I'm starving until I get to my sweet spot. My first fill isn't until the 18th and that may only give me a little relief. So, Back to dieting 101!!! I'm gald I'm not suffering alone but sorry for you. Welcome to Bandster Hell. Boy do I sound pessimistic or what? Oh well! Hugs to you!!!:rolleyes2::frown::)

Ditto to all of the above! I went to the doctor last week and was the EXACT same weight (to the ounce) that I was 10 days prior. I just shook my head and decided that it wasn't going to bother me: 1) It's too early - it had only been three and a half weeks since my surgery (it was one month ago today); 2) I have NO fill in my band and no restriction (this is 'bandster hell'); 3) it was just the holidays and I was surrounded by temptation every day. *I DO confess to some poor food choices (i.e., wine, a tamale and pumpkin pie and chocolate), but that's all behind me now. And I've started walking and riding my bike, which is new for me.

I can't wait til 6 weeks is up and I can start actually using the band! In the meantime, I gotten pretty good at the whole 'no eating within 30 minutes of drinking and no drinking an hour after eating' thing. Also, I'm totally over carbonated beverages - it's no huge loss. I'm loving coffee and tea now and sneak Protein wherever I can. So I'm working on what I can work on - - writing down what I eat, asking myself to move around a little (exercise - in som e way) every day. My two main problems are: 1) 4 ounce portion sizes (I'm hungry and usually eat 8 - 10); and 2) cabernet sauvignon. I hate to say it but I think I just need to quit drinking alcohol altogether to save on the calories. Bummer too cause I really looked forward to that one glass/day. The fact is, I'd rather lose weight.

Hope you all had a very nice holiday! I was away from a lot of it, but am back now. :)

Edited by KarynA

just purged my closet of 28's. I am not going back.

Wish i was at 100%, though. i had to borrow my sons to help with the lifting!

Awesome. I love your attitude~:rolleyes2:

Okay, so I called my surgeon's office today, because the swelling is really going down around my port and I can totally feel the big lump there and it is weird when I move. Is anyone else having this issue? It is kind of creeping me out a little. They said it was completely normal and for me not to worry, which I am trying not to do, but I am just curious is anyone else is noticing there's.

I was only banded December 23, so I am still very new to this whole thing. And MAN am I ready to eat something that actually requires some chewing. I've noticed that I am even chewing my Jello...now, that is just sad! :rolleyes2:

I accidently posted this on "The other" forum but wanted it here...

I've been banded for 8 days now and still have tons of gas pains/heartburn in my chest and shoulder. I've been walking and moving around a lot (I have 3 little ones to chase). Still on liquids only and I also take about 6-7 gas X a day.

Has anyone else had it this long? Is this normal?

I accidently posted this on "The other" forum but wanted it here...

I've been banded for 8 days now and still have tons of gas pains/heartburn in my chest and shoulder. I've been walking and moving around a lot (I have 3 little ones to chase). Still on liquids only and I also take about 6-7 gas X a day.

Has anyone else had it this long? Is this normal?

Today is also my eight day post-op too and yes, the gas pains are still there, but I can tell that core area in my right should is finally getting smaller and I can breath deeper this morning. So maybe there is an end in sight.

A little warning to others with gas pains: - the gas pain also caused a numbness in the area of my shoulder - the pressure must have affected a nerve or something. I found using a hot pad on my back felt comforting, but because of the numbness I did not know I actually burnt my back and made a blister! I did not find out about it until hubby gave me a back rub and popped the blister and I felt something wet. Be careful.

This too will pass!

Hi Delights! I have been reading and it seems that all of us that were banded early in December are all going thru "hell" together. I remember when a small cup of hot cocoa would fill me up, now I could eat a whole chocolate cow! :thumbdown:

I am going for my first fill this afternoon and I am excited about finally being able to work with my band but I am nervous about the procedure. Does it hurt? Will I be able to eat foods afterwards? Is this when the dreaded "PB'ing" and "sliming" will start? :smile2:

Maybe if I read the November thread I can get some insight from their experience. Have any of my fellow Delights been filled yet? If so, please share details... Thanks!!

:thumbdown:

I am going for my first fill this afternoon and I am excited about finally being able to work with my band but I am nervous about the procedure. Does it hurt? Will I be able to eat foods afterwards? Is this when the dreaded "PB'ing" and "sliming" will start? :smile2:

QUOTE]

I had the Fluid removed the day of surgery and no it doesn't hurt but needles don't bother me. You might have some trouble with feeling "stuck" at first but I've heard this wears off soon. Best of luck to you!!!

Well hello fellow bandster hellians,

Seems like we are all in this together. I am having more problems with head hunger I think. I don't really feel hungry because my stomach always feels bloated or gassy. I take the gas x strips and I do pass gas (tmi) but I still feel bloated. Nevertheless, I still have an urge to eat something. This is what makes me think it is only head hunger. I have not gotten on the scale since surgery on 12/17 but I go for my first post-op appt tomorrow so I will see what it says. I started at 282 prior to pre-op diet and was at 268-269 on the day of surgery. I am just feeling tired, although I am trying to get in the Protein and I have started to exercise more. I guess this is just a process that I am determined to get through.