Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

First fill went well.. I have 3.5 cc's in my 10 cc band... It did not hurt just felt a pinch... Good luck all you out there... Drs. feel I am doing well with my weight loss so that is cool... I feel good about it...

EEEK! Viv, you're making me nervous! 600 calories a day IS considered starvation, regardless of whether you feel hungry or not. You should ask your nutritionist about this please, please, please! I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but if you eat more, you WILL lose more, because your metabolism will kick up to burn more. At 600 calories a day, it's screaming on the brakes and saying, OK, if this is what I get, I'm gonna hold on to everything I can. Eventually, however, if you maintain such a low calorie count you will begin to lose muscle mass and even bone mass. hair falls out, etc. I am not a nurse or a doctor, and I don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to do, but as someone who has watched more than one friend suffer from extreme anorexia, I hope you will at least take it to heart and ask a person who IS qualified to tell you I'm wrong and you're right. Or vis-versa.

Hi,

It sounds like you didn't get a lot of information from your doctor prior to surgery. First 3 meals and 3 Snacks is a lot. That would be what most people would eat just to maintain regular weight so if you've lost 7 pounds that's pretty good. I was told NOT to snack during the day that three meals was plenty. Most people do not lose weight before fills after they go off liquids. If you are eating regular meals than it's not surprising to me that you are not losing fast. When you get your fill you will feel much more restriction and hopefully you wont eat as much at meals and you will get rid of the snacks. Don't regret your surgery if you are only in the first month. I am 11 days post op and not sure I've lost any weight. I did not do any liquid diet before because of my low bmi and only did liquids after for a few days so I've probably only lost five pounds. You can't be discouraged before you have fills. Most feel no restriction at all which means your stomach is basically the same size it was before surgery. How far post op are you? Imagine if you lost 7 pounds per month - in 10 months you would be 70 pounds thinner. Remember it's not a quick fix. If you've lost 7 pounds already you will do great I'm sure.

I had my surgery on 12/9 and I can eat with no restriction !:biggrin: I am also not getting my first fill until 2/3. I don't understand how my stomach can be the same size after surgery as it was before. It seems putting the band on would make it smaller. So I too am filling discouraged. I have lost about 8 - 10 pounds since my surgery, I thought it would be more. I heal alot more slowly because I a diabetic, which is another disapointment, no change in my diabetes yet. What should I do to make this work better???:thumbup:

i guess that i am opposite a lot of you. I don't seem to have restriction, and am really glad. It is a comfort to me that if I were to have problems with fills, etc. that at least normal is still an option. Frankly, I am losing slowly but steadily, and that has been my goal all along. i know how to lose weight. I don't know how to keep it off, and really that is what I see my ideal function for my band.

i guess that i am opposite a lot of you. I don't seem to have restriction, and am really glad. It is a comfort to me that if I were to have problems with fills, etc. that at least normal is still an option. Frankly, I am losing slowly but steadily, and that has been my goal all along. i know how to lose weight. I don't know how to keep it off, and really that is what I see my ideal function for my band.

RIGHT ON!!! :thumbup: I feel the same. I haven't lost a lot since surgery, but I know I'll lose more once I have restriction.

I had my surgery on 12/9 and I can eat with no restriction !:biggrin: I am also not getting my first fill until 2/3. I don't understand how my stomach can be the same size after surgery as it was before. It seems putting the band on would make it smaller. So I too am filling discouraged. I have lost about 8 - 10 pounds since my surgery, I thought it would be more. I heal alot more slowly because I a diabetic, which is another disapointment, no change in my diabetes yet. What should I do to make this work better???:thumbup:

Hey! I was banded 12/28 and am also a diabetic. I was told by my dr that sometimes the sugar levels change immediately and sometimes there is no immediate change. Either way, he said that the bulk of change will be gradual as the weight decreases.

Mine did go down immediately and I've not had to take anything since 1 day prior to surgery but - again - everyone isn't that lucky. Even though my blood sugar isn't high enough to take any insulin or Metformin, it's still a tad higher than normal. We are just all different in this area and how our body reacts. It all takes time.

As far as losing weight, much like you I've lost some but nothing that I'd really write home about - YET! It's not immediate like the gastric bypass. My dr said that the majority of ppl don't feel much restriction until at least the 2nd or 3rd fill.

Of the friends I've known that had the band before me, most of them really started losing weight some months post-op rather than right after surgery. Again, the word being gradual.

Hang in there!

I am just riding out this long journey until my first fill. I got really tired of being hungry. You know, before the band you have to starve yourself. I had been starving since August. So, I'm not overeating, just maintaining. Remember I had all the Fluid removed from my band the day after surgery. So, I also have nooooooooooooooo restriciton. I eat sensibly but have not lost any weight. I'm not fretting over this either. My band is in place and I will continue to lose weight but need some restriction. My first fill is Jan. 21st and my doc said that she will put back the fluid that was removed and then some. Thanks for asking about me. I've been reading all your posts just haven't posted myself. I'm not losing so I guess I didn't feel part of the gand anymore.

Hi Lady,

I was thinking about you today. We were banded on the same day and I sorta feel connected to you. I don't think that I have been loosing either and I really haven't been posting, although I have been reading. I don't have any restriction and I am just trying to make sensible eating choices. I have decided to make these first 6-8 weeks post op a healing and relearning process. Afterall, I have used over 40yrs of my life to just eat whatever I wanted and now I have to relearn for life. I have been trying to walk at least 30-45min every day. Once I can go to regular exercises, I will start going to the Zumba and Pilates classes at the gym. Just think, by Christmas 2010 we will be ALL NEW!:thumbup:

Just wondering what everyone is doing for exercise?

I am doing 4 times a week. I do the elliptical for 30 mins and then a few mins of cool down. I just started this because of my wisdom tooth surgery 2 weeks ago. I finally felt like getting back into it.

Just wondering what is working for you.

Just wondering what everyone is doing for exercise?

I am doing 4 times a week. I do the elliptical for 30 mins and then a few mins of cool down. I just started this because of my wisdom tooth surgery 2 weeks ago. I finally felt like getting back into it.

Just wondering what is working for you.

Good question, it will be interesting to see what we forms of exercise we are working at.

I do 30 -40 mins on the treadmill, I started doing this back in May (2009) and have kept it up. From May to my surgery in Dec I lost 36 lbs. Since surgery I have gradually worked my pace back up and am now walking at my normal speed of 3.6 mph and at a #6 incline (hope to get back up to #10). My PCP would like me to walk for an hour, 5 days a week, but I am more comfortable with 40 mins, but exercise 7 days a week. I also walk my dogs every day (if it is not raining) for 1/2 a mile, but my PCP says that does not count as they are little dogs with short legs!!!!

EEEK! Viv, you're making me nervous! 600 calories a day IS considered starvation, regardless of whether you feel hungry or not. You should ask your nutritionist about this please, please, please! I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but if you eat more, you WILL lose more, because your metabolism will kick up to burn more. At 600 calories a day, it's screaming on the brakes and saying, OK, if this is what I get, I'm gonna hold on to everything I can. Eventually, however, if you maintain such a low calorie count you will begin to lose muscle mass and even bone mass. hair falls out, etc. I am not a nurse or a doctor, and I don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to do, but as someone who has watched more than one friend suffer from extreme anorexia, I hope you will at least take it to heart and ask a person who IS qualified to tell you I'm wrong and you're right. Or vis-versa.

Thank you for being concerned, I appreciate it. I have not seen a nutritionist and don't think my L/B surgeon has one on staff. I did try and get a clear and decisive number from him yesterday on the amount of calories, Protein and liquids I should be getting, but the closest I got was, "4-5 small meals about 200 cals each". So I will try to up my intake. I will be seeing my PCP on Monday and will talk with her. Since May she has monitored my weight and advised that I did not go below 1,000 cals, but I found I only lost weight when on 900. I'll let you know what she says.

Again, it is sweet of you to write and be concerned; I feel we have a really nice group/little community in the December Delights! Thanks everyone.

I had my surgery on 12/9 and I can eat with no restriction !:tt1: I am also not getting my first fill until 2/3. I don't understand how my stomach can be the same size after surgery as it was before. It seems putting the band on would make it smaller. So I too am filling discouraged. I have lost about 8 - 10 pounds since my surgery, I thought it would be more. I heal alot more slowly because I a diabetic, which is another disapointment, no change in my diabetes yet. What should I do to make this work better???:thumbup:

I really think you need to pick up the phone and talk to someone at your drs. office. Not sure why you are having to wait so long for a fill, but it's not strange not to feel restriction. MOST people do not have any until a fill so there really isn't anything you can do until you get fills. You just have to wait it out. I get my first fill on Tuesday and trust me I've been frustrated but there's nothing I can do but try to eat right so I at least dont gain until then. The band is around your stomach and sure it's shrunk your stomach but until the band is full and makes the "pouch" that gets full easily you wont feel full quickly. I would just ask for your fill now.

I saw my nutritionist 3.5 weeks post op - and she reviewed my food diary. In all she said band patients should aim for 800-1000 calories a day and she said 1k is high and shouldn't be for several days straight.

I seem to stay in the 800-900 range.

Thank you for being concerned, I appreciate it. I have not seen a nutritionist and don't think my L/B surgeon has one on staff. I did try and get a clear and decisive number from him yesterday on the amount of calories, Protein and liquids I should be getting, but the closest I got was, "4-5 small meals about 200 cals each". So I will try to up my intake. I will be seeing my PCP on Monday and will talk with her. Since May she has monitored my weight and advised that I did not go below 1,000 cals, but I found I only lost weight when on 900. I'll let you know what she says.

Again, it is sweet of you to write and be concerned; I feel we have a really nice group/little community in the December Delights! Thanks everyone.

I had my first fill today. When I was banded my doctor initially put in a little over 5cc. Now I have 6.3cc in my 10cc band. I have more restriction but I really need to get to my sweet spot.

My one month anniversary :w00t:

I had my band one month ago today, 12/17 and so far I am down 24 lbs. However, I' lost 21lbs of that within two weeks of my surgery and only about three lbs. since. My second follow-up and first fill is coming this week. I hope this gets me out of my weight-loss slow down. I've also just began a workout regime, so hopefully that will rev up my metabolism as well. I must say the past month has been alot easier than I imagined. I've done a fine job at sticking to my post-op diet even though I know I can eat so much more. On average my calories are between 500 - 700 daily. I don't think I ever realized how much of a mental game this all is. I'm really learning the difference between "head hunger" and "real hunger". Nonetheless, I hope all goes well with my first fill and I pray for the strength to keep my discipline.

Have a great night everyone and best of luck with everyone on this journey.

Lauren