Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

33 minutes ago, Rae70 said:

Two mos post op 4/29. I feel like the loss is slowing down. Since surgery Im down 33 lbs. I weigh weekly and in the beginning it was 5 lbs down,etc. Now its 1.5 down or sometimes just the same. Im taking in anywhere from 750-950 calories a day, usually toward the lower side, eating 100 grams sometimes more Protein and being very careful, I always prioritize Protein. Also Im walking 30 min 4/5x a week. Any advice? Just keep on and trust the process?

You're eating 100 Grams of protein or more and actively walking 4/5 times a week. Seems like you've got a good routine down. I would just keep doing what you're doing and follow your doctors advice.

1 hour ago, Rae70 said:

Two mos post op 4/29. I feel like the loss is slowing down. Since surgery Im down 33 lbs. I weigh weekly and in the beginning it was 5 lbs down,etc. Now its 1.5 down or sometimes just the same. Im taking in anywhere from 750-950 calories a day, usually toward the lower side, eating 100 grams sometimes more Protein and being very careful, I always prioritize Protein. Also Im walking 30 min 4/5x a week. Any advice? Just keep on and trust the process?

It may seem counterintuitive, but you may actually need more calories. At least, I've read that many times in other threads. Make sure you are feeling satisfied when you eat and not cutting back on calories just to keep them low if you still feel you need more. I know that as time goes on, we're supposed to be in the 1000-1200 range, and that sometimes our bodies can slow the weight loss if we feel we are facing starvation. Check with your dietician about that if you can.

Having said that, I think expectations for how fast we will lose are sometimes skewed by results from outliers, either those who lose very fast or those who start at very high weights. I've lost 48 lbs since I started this journey, but only 22 lbs of it is post-surgery. Basically, yeah, I think just keep doing what you're doing and trust the process.

Rahhh … I’m still stalled! Trying to keep with the onwards and upwards mentality even if it would be much easier if the scales were going downwards … managed 26k steps yesterday so that’s a plus. Starting to get homesick from travelling so much for work. I get back home to Paris on Saturday and have to leave again Thursday. I then have nearly 3 weeks non stop without getting home again. I’m finding it complicated to make good food choices and have enough Protein. I’ve basically been having milky coffee and potatoes as a main food groups for the last few days. I hate Protein Shakes, I don’t really eat meat ( and strictly no pork), I don’t really eat fish ( and strictly no shellfish or seafood). At home I can do cheese and chickpeas and lentils and tofu etc etc but being out and about so much is complicated. I did hit 12 weeks no alcohol on Tuesday which is a big win for me because I’ve never thought I’d make it so far and the not drinking is getting easier day by day to resist the temptation. And also I sort of told myself that I go 24 weeks (6 ish months rounded down) so I’m half way through.

1 hour ago, BlueParis said:

I’m finding it complicated to make good food choices and have enough Protein.

Traveling is hard. I used to travel a lot for work and by the end of a week of restaurant meals, I would be craving fruit and veg so much because I could never seem to get enough of that. I have found ordering simple chicken dishes in restaurants with a veg side and skipping the starch has been the best way to get something well-balanced when away from home, and that won't upset my stomach.

Can you stop at a grocery store to get Greek or Icelandic yogurt and fresh berries when on the road? I'm not sure how common it is to have a small refrigerator in your hotel room in the places you're going, but a serving of unsweetened yogurt with fruit and a sprinkle of sliced almonds is a great start to the day that requires no cooking or blending. You could also try raw veg and hummus (if you are able to tolerate raw veg). Does your job require going out to dinner with clients? If not, you might see if you can travel with a small electric hot pot to heat your own meals in your hotel room. Maybe bring small containers of your favorite spices to make simple go-to meals on the road.

A few times I recall staying in hotels that had true kitchens and being able to buy groceries when I arrived. That was such a relief. It's funny that when you start traveling for work, you think it will be such a treat to go out to eat all the time, and after you do it for a while, it's not fun at all.

Congratulations on making it 12 weeks with no alcohol! That's a great accomplishment. I had a single sip of a friend's cocktail this weekend and I have to say, it didn't taste good to me anymore. Maybe it was just a bad cocktail, but hopefully my tastebuds have changed for that. Sadly, I was not cured of my sweet tooth from the surgery. It was such a disappointment when chocolate was just as delicious as before.

Posted (edited)

On 4/30/2024 at 8:32 AM, NickelChip said:

3.9 lbs away from onederland. So what a great time to stall and stew! I almost kicked my scale this morning.

Love the term onederland 😂 @NickelChip

@BlueParis don’t get discouraged, you’re so much smaller than a lot of us and I would expect it to take longer or for you to have more prolonged stalls than when you weighed more. I know it can be frustrating but you’re doing great! 😘 Weightloss always slows way down when you’re closer to a “normal” weight. Whatever that may be. Oh and WTG on the no drinking! Maybe you can try high Protein Snacks like Quest protein chips or roasted edamame to up your protein?

@RonHall908 you look great!

hope ev1 is still doing well, I can’t stop myself from weighing everyday, even when I try not too, I end up on the scale anyway. But that’s ok, I go up and down also but I know intellectually that it’s most likely Water weight. I stop losing or gain briefly every time I do any exercise and I’m pretty sure it’s water weight. I also agree with @NickelChip that I do think the “stalls” are often related to not enough calories ( also over carbing it, I don’t really exercise much and have PCOS so I don’t metabolize carbs well and try to avoid simple carbs as much as possible) Your body going into starvation mode is truly a real thing and does happen. I seem to notice my most steady weight loss when I follow my diet 95% of the time and then have a cheat meal/day and eat crap I’ve avoided all week like fattening restaurant yummy food like chips and queso or chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. I might stay the same or gain a pound right after then drop several pounds. Plus for me it keeps me from craving all the unhealthy food ALL the time, bc I LOVE food and know that eating only healthy food 100% of the time is unattainable for me. I’ll eventually cheat and fall off the wagon hard!
Oh and for anyone feeling disappointed in the slow losses take @LisaCaryl’s advice and go by how your clothes feel or better yet,take measurements if you can. My hubby helps me take my measurements and I log them on the Baritastic app. Even when my scales not moving I’ve lost lots of inches and my clothes are big. Plus I’m back into my small “fat” pants lol 😁

oh and @NickelChip, I feel you on the sweets, I use light and fit Greek yogurt and Russel Stovers Sugar Free Chocolates for desserts! My hubby even likes the Russel Stovers chocolates and can’t tell they’re sugar free.< br /> Keep on keepin on guys! 😘

Edited by gracesmommy2

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, gracesmommy2 said:

@RonHall908 you look great!

Thank you.

If you're diabetic watch the sugar alcohol with the sugar free russel stovers.

Edited by RonHall908

1 hour ago, RonHall908 said:

Thank you.

If you're diabetic watch the sugar alcohol with the sugar free russel stovers.

Ty.

Oh I do, mostly bc I know they can cause bad GI issues. I usually only eat one piece, but I never eat more than 2. 😉

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gracesmommy2 said:

Ty.

Oh I do, mostly bc I know they can cause bad GI issues. I usually only eat one piece, but I never eat more than 2. 😉

Sorry, I realized that probably didn't come across as well meaning as I intended.
Now I don't have a big craving for sugar. If I do I just add Monk Fruit sweetener to Greek yogurt. I had a Keto sugar free cheesecake recipe that used monk fruit sweetener. Also used almond flour for the crust. I'm not the best baker, but It was pretty good. I thought about making one and putting PBfit chocolate in it to make a PB chocolate cheesecake. 😃

Edited by RonHall908

3 minutes ago, RonHall908 said:

I thought about making one and putting PBfit chocolate in it to make a PB chocolate cheesecake. 😃

Now that sounds amazing.

1 minute ago, NickelChip said:

Now that sounds amazing.

It does sound amazing, I may try to make one this weekend. I use PBfit chocolate every time I eat greek yogurt. Surprised I haven't burned out on it yet.

So here's a couple pictures from 2019 and one silly recent one. Seeing these old pictures definitely shows how much has changed.

Screenshot_20240502_185417_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240502_185633_Gmail.jpg

20240427_192008.jpg

Just about to fly home and will anwser everyones posts then. Thanks all for your support and words and suggestions. Loving the new profile picture @NickelChip and @RonHall908 What an amazing transformation! Here are some of me, pick tracksuit is 2 weeks post surgery, brown dress is yesterday.

Begining of May.png

just back from SGR.png

5 hours ago, BlueParis said:

Just about to fly home and will anwser everyones posts then. Thanks all for your support and words and suggestions. Loving the new profile picture @NickelChip and @RonHall908 What an amazing transformation! Here are some of me, pick tracksuit is 2 weeks post surgery, brown dress is yesterday.

Begining of May.png

just back from SGR.png

You look great! Won't be long you will be at your goal weight.
Have a safe trip home.

On 5/2/2024 at 6:36 PM, RonHall908 said:

Sorry, I realized that probably didn't come across as well meaning as I intended.
Now I don't have a big craving for sugar. If I do I just add Monk Fruit sweetener to Greek yogurt. I had a Keto sugar free cheesecake recipe that used monk fruit sweetener. Also used almond flour for the crust. I'm not the best baker, but It was pretty good. I thought about making one and putting PBfit chocolate in it to make a PB chocolate cheesecake. 😃

Totally didn’t take it in any bad way! No worries. I reread my stuff all the time cause I’m worried someone will think I’m criticizing but I’m not (if anyone ever thinks that). It’s always hard when you can’t see someone’s face and voice, it’s why I tend to use emoji’s 😂 I’m just totally not a person that would criticize someone online especially in this group and just assume others don’t either cause why?! 😉 And the cheesecake does sound amazing. If you make one and it’s yummy, please share the recipe for us sweetaholics please. 😁

Posted (edited)

On 5/2/2024 at 6:44 PM, RonHall908 said:

It does sound amazing, I may try to make one this weekend. I use PBfit chocolate every time I eat greek yogurt. Surprised I haven't burned out on it yet.

I have found a love for PB2 and chocolate PB2 in my Greek yogurt thanks to @NickelChip. It’s wonderful when I “need” a dessert! Oh and @RonHall908 again you look awesome! Keep up the great work!

Edited by gracesmommy2