Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

Well I will be thinking of you today, and hoping that's not the case - I don't know what I'd DO if that were me. Whoa. Counting my lucky stars and keeping good thoughts for you.

Terri, We are all thinking of you today. Hope the test turns out okay. How disappointing this must be for you. I will say a special prayer for you. Keep us posted.

Got a quick question....and a small confession...

So, my best friend from college lives on the opposite side of town from me and so we try to get together for lunch every month just to catch up and get her out of the house (she's a stay at home mom of a one year old and two months preggo with #2). Today we met at the Cheesecake Factory, thinking they would have a nice selection of soups...alas, they only serve one Soup a day and today was mushroom. Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE mushroom soup - but I like the stuff I can buy in a can from Campbells for 88 cents, so have a hard time justifying an $8 cup of soup! So, knowing tomorrow I am technically allowed to move on to mushies, I ordered some mashed potatoes with a bit of white gravy on the side. Only $4.50 and I knew it wasn't the best choice, but I also knew I wasn't going to be eating much.

Here's the question:

Has anyone else been so "trained" in their life to clean their plate that they are having a hard time putting down the fork/spoon/spork and leaving food behind? It's not like I kept eating constantly, but I'd keep reaching for the spoon after I'd pushed the bowl away and just nibbling! SO FRUSTRATING!:thumbup: I knew I was going to be extra full, but I was STRUGGLING! My friend finally put the bowl on the other side of the table so I couldn't reach it....how embarrassing that I can't manage that small act of self control! Do any of you struggle with this? If so, how do you handle it?

Hi everyone my name is Janet. I got banded on 12/29/09. I had minimal pain from surgery. I went back to work yesterday and it wasn't so bad. I only worked for 5 hrs. I am a nurse and on my feet non-stop. I am on full liquids moving to soft food on Friday. I can't wait. I have lost 14lbs. so far. 8 since my surgery. I don't really feel hungry but I am starting to miss food. I am so sick of liquids. I am thinking very seriously about starting the soft foods sooner than Friday. I need to get started with exercising and I know it, but I can't find the motivation. My husband is out of town working and I need some support. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but it is way to soon for me to feel like this......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Edited by jem123009

Terri, We are all thinking of you today. Hope the test turns out okay. How disappointing this must be for you. I will say a special prayer for you. Keep us posted.

Great news, my band is in place. What a scare. Changed antiacids, taking tiny bites and chewing and chewing my food and didn't have any coffee today. Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

Terri

Great news, my band is in place. What a scare. Changed antiacids, taking tiny bites and chewing and chewing my food and didn't have any coffee today. Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

Terri

Terri....that is fantastic news!!! I know you must have been really relieved to hear that. What antacid are you on now? Just wondering since I still have some heartburn.

Hi Jem:

I am a nurse as well. I returned to work and 1/5 and the first day I was exhausted when I got home. Although I wasn't hungry I was actually missing the mechanics of chewing. I did find that work help to think about it less.

I was banded on 12/10 and for the past few days Ive been having the worst pain in my shoulder, I know that this is gas pain but shouldnt it be gone by now, its going on 5 weeks. I actually did have this pain at all in the beginning.

Got a quick question....and a small confession...

So, my best friend from college lives on the opposite side of town from me and so we try to get together for lunch every month just to catch up and get her out of the house (she's a stay at home mom of a one year old and two months preggo with #2). Today we met at the Cheesecake Factory, thinking they would have a nice selection of soups...alas, they only serve one Soup a day and today was mushroom. Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE mushroom soup - but I like the stuff I can buy in a can from Campbells for 88 cents, so have a hard time justifying an $8 cup of soup! So, knowing tomorrow I am technically allowed to move on to mushies, I ordered some mashed potatoes with a bit of white gravy on the side. Only $4.50 and I knew it wasn't the best choice, but I also knew I wasn't going to be eating much.

Here's the question:

Has anyone else been so "trained" in their life to clean their plate that they are having a hard time putting down the fork/spoon/spork and leaving food behind? It's not like I kept eating constantly, but I'd keep reaching for the spoon after I'd pushed the bowl away and just nibbling! SO FRUSTRATING!;) I knew I was going to be extra full, but I was STRUGGLING! My friend finally put the bowl on the other side of the table so I couldn't reach it....how embarrassing that I can't manage that small act of self control! Do any of you struggle with this? If so, how do you handle it?

I think this is the reason that a lot of people ask for a to go box right away and pack up half of it, so that they can't sit there and pick on it! Or, if you are cooking at home, serve all the plates from the stove, and don't bring the serving dishes to the table. That way you can't get an extra serving without having to make effort.

Stay strong, we'll learn all the tricks of the band yet!

Hey Everyone....

I just found this thread and wanted to join in...I was banded Dec.18, 2009...I get my first fill on Jan.28th and am super excited about it!!! I get to go on mushies starting Friday but have been cheating a lil off and on since new years...I know its not good and i am really trying but you can only drink so much Protein Shakes until you get extremely done with them..lol..I am going through this awkward stage right now..I am hungry and can still eat not quite as much as before..I even had my first stuck episode on the 10th that was so much fun..lol..I had a chicken tortilla wrap and took a bite then my son wanted it so i took one bite really fast and without thinking about it i swallowed the first bite before i had chewed it good enough and i felt it get stuck so i tried washing it down with Water which didn't work. I sat a few minutes then tried water again then it came up and i felt good again:tt2:. I think things will get better when i get my first fill and i go back to work. I will have less time on my hands and i work in a warehouse with a lot of heavy lifting so the extra workout will be great. Well my two lil monkeys are needing me so i better go for now.:thumbup:

Have a Blessed Day!

Miss Katie

Hey Everyone....

I just found this thread and wanted to join in:w00t:

Have a Blessed Day!

Miss Katie

Welcome Miss Katie! I can't believe you've been on liquids for that long! That has got to be tough. Let us know how the fill goes. By the way, there is another place that we chat as well, it is called December Delights 2009...that one may be used more.

Edited by bellyfatgone
forgot something

I was banded on 12/10 and for the past few days Ive been having the worst pain in my shoulder, I know that this is gas pain but shouldnt it be gone by now, its going on 5 weeks. I actually did have this pain at all in the beginning.

I experienced the same thing. The pain was excruciating! I finally got relief with several GasX strips and stretching my arms over my head as far as I could several times a day. I am so glad to see that I am not alone in this "Twighlight Zone" waiting on that first fill. Evidently I heal fast, cuz with a week or so, I was able to do some mushy food and now (was banded on Dec 18th) I can eat almost anything if I chew it up real good and take small bites. Cant eat fast, and that's a habit I will have trouble with. Eat fast and get so much air on my stomach its pathetic. I have gained a couple pounds since the band. My first fill is scheduled for Jan 18th and I hope all will change at that time. Also, keep in mind that you need to exercise at least 30 mins every day if you can.

I got my! I got my fill!...I'm so excited! I feel remotivated. This is going to work!

I have 3cc's.

I got my! I got my fill!...I'm so excited! I feel remotivated. This is going to work!

I have 3cc's.

Congratulations Karyn!!

Can you tell a difference?

Did it hurt?

I had my first visit with Dr. yesterday & he said it will be Feb. 12th before I get my first fill. It will be about a 5CC fill. It's quite a wait but he goes by the mfg. recommendations.

Good luck all.

Just wondering how all the december delights are doing and who has had their first fill????

Hi All,

I was banded on December 10th and just had my first fill on thursday...I had 5.3 cc ...My band is 11cc ...I feel retsricted now! and not hungry..he put me back on liquids and soft foods for three days again...I go back in 30 days for another fill if needed.

The fills do make a big difference so hang in there...! I had lost for awhile....so looking forward going down on the scale again.

Just some information that might help..if something gets stuck such as meat..drink a sip or two of pineapple juice I was told by my doctor. A natural meat tenderizer. I keep some around, just in case..Ive gotten something stuck twice...before I was filled and dont want to experience that too often!

Hang in there..

POPPYRed