Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

This may be too soon or maybe already started but I got my date for December 2nd and thought us December Bandsters should start to follow each other. Any takers? How's the preop appointments going? the preop diet? Any news is good news! (except for the fact that I have to quit smoking!!!!) :blushing:

Hey, girl!

I'm right there with you.

I get banded on Dec. 15th...3 days after my 14th wedding anniversary.

My husband didn't marry me like this so I'm excited to turn myself back

around and get to movin' and groovin' again with life.

I'm self pay so I was able to push through all the malarky pretty quick.

How are you doing with all the changes?

I have a tentative date for December 3rd.

Waiting for insurance approval because I just switched insurance companies. Hoping this comes through soon! :-)

I have my pre-op on November 23rd and start my pre-op liquid diet the same day.

I'm a bit nervous and excited at the same time. Went shopping over the weekend and it was nice to think that maybe someday in the next year or two I can shop at the 'regular' stores and not at Lane Bryant or somewhere similar!

Edited by tbird1211

Changes are good but this not smokin' is making me a flamin' bit**. Last night I ripped off the patch and smoked 3 cigs :cryin:! I know. I know! Bad Girl. I've got a new one on today and am trying like crazy not to think about it. Since my day is Dec. 2nd I figure by Nov. 2nd (doc says one month no smokin') I'll quit for good. Ya, I know all about shopping at Torrid and Lane Bryant. I can't wait to be able to go to a regular store and buy regular clothes. How are you all doing on the preop diet? I was doing great until I tried to quit smoking too. Oh my, oh my!!! Help!!!!:wink2:

Edited by illuminationlady

I'm doing my own pre-op diet right now.

Using Calorie Counter - Free Online Diet Journal to watch my calories. When I'm really diligent about counting my calories and keeping a food journal I do pretty well.

Starting November 23rd, I'm on the pre-op liquid diet - not looking forward to that.

Thank god, I'm not a smoker. Can't imagine trying to diet and stop smoking at once. :wink2:

Good Luck! :cryin:

For some reason my doc does not do the preop liquid diet. I've lost 18 lbs and he says 10 more and I'll be good. Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining....just wondering. After I'm banded I have two weeks of liquids, then 2 weeks of mushies and then regular food. What's your plan of action?

Pre-op Diet

10 days before surgery:

liquid diet consisting of juice, Jello, Milk, Protein shakes, Borth, etc

Post-op Diet

1-2 days after surgery:

Liquid only - same as pre-op.

2 weeks after surgery:

Mushies - yogurt, oatmeal, baby food consistency stuff

According to my surgeon, the pre-op liquid diet is supposed to decrease the size of the liver to allow more room to work in the abdomen.

Hi,

I have a Dec. 3rd date for my surgery and I am just excited about the opportunity of having a new healthier life. I have a beautiful wife and two children and I need to be around for them.

I've been trying different shakes, even though I don't start my pre-surgery diet until Nov 19th, and found that the muscle milk is very good and tasty too.

Welcome to the December group. We need a group name. It will be fun to follow everyone in the Dec. group..hugh? Any suggestions on a group name?

I just found out today that I have a tentative date of December 7th but will have to move it to the 14th do to the amount of sick time that i have. How long are you all planning on taking off of work for and what kind of work do you do? The closer i get to the reality of having the surgery the more questions pop up, anyone have a list of the questions they asked there surgion. I wish everyone the best of luck and we will have to keep tight and keep eachother encouraged :(

I agree about the support. I'm a teacher curently on disablity. Part of why I'm doing this is to get back to work. I need knee replacment surgery and they won't do it until I'm under 200. Soooo, I need three surgeries before returning to work. First the Lap Band, then both knees, which I hear is a lengthy recovery. But I've accepted it and keep on...keepin on....:(

dmd and tbird: my surgery is set for Dec. 3 as well! I've gone through all the testing. I have the h. pylori bacteria in my tummy, but no ulcer from it (thank goodness). I'm on the antibiotics to clear that up now. My surgical consult is 11/13. I went to the first support group last night and it was really great! It was about 1/2 lap band and 1/2 bypass patients but it was great to hear from real people and very frank discussion. I was the only pre-op there and they are all super supportive and made sure to clue me in on things they were talking about.

I'm a self-pay patient so I have moved through this process fairly quickly as I attended the seminar late September and had my first consult Oct. 5. I think I could have gotten my surgery scheduled sooner, but the nurse practitioner said that surgery schedules really fill up at the end of the year because a lot of people have met their deductible and are getting in to get things taken care of! Also, the front desk girls at my doc's office are fairly incompetent (but to their credit, they are probably understaffed and overworked.) I have been assured by other patients at this office that once I get far enough in the process that I don't have to deal with them so much, it becomes much smoother!

I've been following the Atkins diet since early October and getting myself used to the Protein shakes. My doctor doesn't require any kind of pre-op liquid diet - just strict adherence to the Atkins Phase 1 the two weeks before surgery.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!! I feel so positive about this and not one single twinge of self-doubt or regret about my decision. I very much feel that this is my time to shine and I'm ready to get this show on the road! I want to be able to live my life again! I want to get outside and enjoy the beautiful outdoors and live an active lifestyle! I'm so ready for the pain in all of my lower joints to be gone. My poor bones just moan and groan having to carry all of this weight on my small 5'3" frame!

Looking forward to hearing all of our stories and supporting each other throughout the journey as I fully imagine it's not going to be easy...but sooooooooooooo worth it!

Take care,

Suzy

J-Mae - I've asked a ton of questions of my surgeon on nutrition person.... here are a few:

1) Pregnancy after surgery - I did a lot of my own research on this as it's something I am looking to do in the next few years? This should be no problem, many people have been very successful with this. In fact, it should be easier to get pregnant after the band and weight loss.

2) Travelling after surgery - I travel for work to both Ireland and India on occassion? This should not be an issue. In Ireland, there are plentyof hospitals and surgeons familar with the band who can assist with any issues. For India, my surgeon may preventatively remove my fills to make sure if I get sick over there I am ok. He believes there should be surgeon who can handle, but personally, I'd prefer to come home for treatment of any issues.

3) Pain after surgery - I have a friend who had lap band and was in a ton of pain in her shoulders? This was due to the inflating of the abdomen that is done during surgery. Some people (approx 1 out of 5) had a bad reaction to this as the pressure affects the nerves in the diaphragm which run up to the shoulders causing the pain she felt. This can be managed with pain meds as needed.

4) When I'm on mushy food, can I use baby food? Yes, stay away from fruits and dessert type ones, but veggies and meats are fine.

5) Availability - if I have an issue, what is my surgeon availability to me? He is always on call and his service will find him. For any critical issues, he or his partner will meet me at the hospital.

General questions I asked that will be specific to your surgeon:

• Number of procedures done?
  • His complication rate for procedures he has done? how many slippage? how many erosion?
  • Success of his patients?

Edited by tbird1211

Welcome Suzy! I went to a support group meeting too and found it very informative. Nice to talk face to face with some bandsters....hugh? My surgeon doesn't require any form of diet but wants all patients to lose at least 10 lbs by surgery. Funny how they are all different! MY biggest hurdle is the smoking. I went and got my Chantix filled yesterday and will start on Nov. 2nd (I'm going out of town and didn't want to totally ruin my trip). Anyway, welcome to our group. Hopefully we can all support each other as time grows closer. Does anyone know how to make this thread sticky so it doesn't get lost? I also wish I had named the thread December Bandsters 2009. I tried to contact the CEO and no response. Oh well! Just keep posting everyone!!!

Illumination...I feel your pain. I quit smoking a year and a half ago! It's hard but you can do it!! I'm sure it contributed to my weight gain this past year, so thank goodness you're about to be banded! I promise you'll feel like a new woman. :(