Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

Congratulations Karyn!!

Can you tell a difference?

Did it hurt?

I had my first visit with Dr. yesterday & he said it will be Feb. 12th before I get my first fill. It will be about a 5CC fill. It's quite a wait but he goes by the mfg. recommendations.

Good luck all.

Hi Ocra,

He numbed the port area first, so it was the standard needle stick and then a small sting from the medication (quick wince, but no real pain). Then he applied a tiny external port type thing. He pushed it on/in. That felt like a little bit of pressure (but no pain). Then he inserted the needle (didn't feel anything - the area was numb) and filled the band with saline completely - to the point of occlusion. He had me drink Water 'until my tank was filled up', the area above the band. Because the band was full, it didn't allow the water to pass through. I stopped drinking when I could feel the water in my throat. Then he slowly pulled saline back into the syringe and I told him when I could feel the water going down (like through a funnel). He had me drink water several times after that to make sure that it would go down and that I wasn't 'too tight'. And that was it. I got a bandaage and was on my way!

I'm on liquids (and soup) for two weeks. It seems like a long time compared to everyone else, but I don't even care. I'm just happy to FINALLY have restriction! I hope your fill is equally as painless. :w00t:

I had my lap band on 12/07/09, my first fill is jan 28 th,2010, I also experienced a piece of meat got stuck in my throat i was shocked because i thought if i didn/t havea fill there would be no resistance ,, but there is,, i had actuall 2 stucks,, and and 2 other times it felt like it was stuck and few minutes it passed,, what is causing this ?does anyone else have this problemm everything else is good

Hunger has set in and so has my sweet tooth. I was hoping to be over the sugar thing, but now that I'm hungry all the time, I also crave sugar again. I can't wait for my fill!

Ok... this may be TMI but ... anybody else having probs with Constipation? ?? I have IBS and have had for years but only occasionally have I had to take anything. When my IBS acts up, it's usually the OTHER END of the spectrum. Feeling like I need to buy stock in Fiber meds. Anyone got any suggestions? Yes... I'm drinking plenty of Water. I'm about 3 weeks post-op. Should I just buy some Benefiber and put it in my Protein Drinks? Anybody else with this prob?

Hi Bama! I'm having the same problem. I had to use some Miralex. It worked like a beauty. I'm just so alarmed by this because I used go at least once a day, more depending on what I ate.

Hi All,

I was banded on December 10th and just had my first fill on thursday...I had 5.3 cc ...My band is 11cc ...I feel retsricted now! and not hungry..he put me back on liquids and soft foods for three days again...I go back in 30 days for another fill if needed.

The fills do make a big difference so hang in there...! I had lost for awhile....so looking forward going down on the scale again.

Just some information that might help..if something gets stuck such as meat..drink a sip or two of pineapple juice I was told by my doctor. A natural meat tenderizer. I keep some around, just in case..Ive gotten something stuck twice...before I was filled and dont want to experience that too often!

Hang in there..

POPPYRed

I can't wait to feel that restriction. Glad to hear you're feeling it. Also, I carry Papaya Enzymes in my purse. Those are also a natural way to get stuff to go through that might be stuck. You can get the chewables at GNC stores. They really work!!

Hi Ocra,

I'm on liquids (and soup) for two weeks. It seems like a long time compared to everyone else, but I don't even care. I'm just happy to FINALLY have restriction! I hope your fill is equally as painless. :(

Two weeks of liquids!!! That's nuts!!! I only have to be on liquids the rest of my fill day and then mushies the day after. My doctor says he wants us to eat regular food because you have a greater chance of feeling full longer. I hope everything turns out okay for you. But that's a long time to be on liquids after a fill. Best wishes always!!!

My husband and I went on a trip last week for our honeymoon/anniversary. I was already advanced to regular foods, and I don't have any restriction. They warned me that I could gain some weight during my regular food and without restriction. I gained 5 pounds back!! So....I'm really watching everything I put in my mouth, truly focusing on drinking enough Water, and getting my 60 g Protein in everyday. I've also started exercising. Last night I did 30 min on wii fit, today I plan to hit the treadmill. I don't get a fill until 2/4. Has anyone else had problems with weight gain???

Hi AE,

I don't get my first fill until February 2, assuming my surgeon gets back from Haiti as originally scheduled (he goes down there each year to perform surgeries on people who would otherwise not get their issues addressed), and now with the earthquake, he's helping with the after effects.

So far, I've been losing, although my losses have slowed way down. I'm down only .6 pounds this last week. But I also kind have been lazy in my work outs.

But my surgeon did say it was totally normal to gain some weight back prior to the first fill.

Don't despair! We'll get to the losing part soon.

Two weeks of liquids!!! That's nuts!!! I only have to be on liquids the rest of my fill day and then mushies the day after. My doctor says he wants us to eat regular food because you have a greater chance of feeling full longer. I hope everything turns out okay for you. But that's a long time to be on liquids after a fill. Best wishes always!!!

I know, right?! I'm pretty sure it's because he was concerned about me being 'too tight'. He told me as much. He also told me to come back that day if I had any problems at all getting liquids down. I didn't think I was too tight, but then what did/do I know (it was my very first fill). My husband, who loves to cook, made a wonderful french onion Soup (omg, so good) I even put croutons in it and let them get soggy in the soup. AND I'm still having my glass of wine. SO I'm alright - not at all suffering. And the weight loss has started-up again.... for now, anyway. I'll be thinking about you Thursday. :(

Hi fellow bandsters, I was banded on 12/21/2009 and am happy to find some people in the same boat. I just started back on normal foods this week, and haven't had any trouble with eating anything, though I've stayed away from rice and noodles and only tried bread as nibbles of a bun on a turkey burger. I've also got trouble with arthritis and IBS (and for the person who asked My Dr Recommends benefiber or similar supplements to all their patients starting during the pre op diet.) Just wanted to say hi.

weight.png

Edited by Irusan
wrong ticker stuff

Hello Everyone,

I had my first fill today and I must say I didnt like it. I read some where in one of these forums where they numbed the area first. Well that didnt happen for me. I ended having Fluid develop around my port and they had to pull that off before they could do the fill. I ended up getting 5 cc's. Although I do not like the filling process, Im gonna love getting into smaller clothes so the end justifies the means. :mad:

My husband and I went on a trip last week for our honeymoon/anniversary. I was already advanced to regular foods, and I don't have any restriction. They warned me that I could gain some weight during my regular food and without restriction. I gained 5 pounds back!! So....I'm really watching everything I put in my mouth, truly focusing on drinking enough Water, and getting my 60 g Protein in everyday. I've also started exercising. Last night I did 30 min on wii fit, today I plan to hit the treadmill. I don't get a fill until 2/4. Has anyone else had problems with weight gain???

AE, I talked with my doc about my theory about this. He said/agreed that when we start eating foods, the initial weight that comes is the weight that is that water weight we lose really quickly. KWIM? Especially traveling, I have always had to watch for swelling, etc. I was traveling with my sweetie this weekend too.:wink2:

I had to get some information, because I am heading to Florida this week, and don't want to gain. I won't be heartbroken if I don't lose, though.

You sound like you are doing awesome, btw!:mad:

Hi fellow bandsters, I was banded on 12/21/2009 and am happy to find some people in the same boat. I just started back on normal foods this week, and haven't had any trouble with eating anything, though I've stayed away from rice and noodles and only tried bread as nibbles of a bun on a turkey burger. I've also got trouble with arthritis and IBS (and for the person who asked My Dr Recommends benefiber or similar supplements to all their patients starting during the pre op diet.) Just wanted to say hi.

Hi! So what do you find yourself eating most of the time? Have you gotten 'stuck' yet? I was banded 12/28/09 and am also a fellow IBS'er. Welcome to the journey!

"bellyfatgone"

I have been using coca butter oil and cream,bought at Walmart, my scars are looking good. I saw my surgeon on monday, he says due to my fair skin it will probable be a year before the are gone, just NO sun on them this summer! I am 5 weeks post op.