Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Are you talking about Garth Davis from Big Medicine?

Getting the band was easier than going to the dentist for me. I was out walking 3 dogs the day after surgery. I hope your surgery goes well.

I really wasn't all that hungry until about 3 weeks of being on liquids. I didn't let myself get hungry. I did mostly low carb slim fast or Atkins. It was so easy to pop open a can. If I was hungry, I drank a can. I did do some Soups when I got bored with Protein Drinks. The 3rd week, I really wasn't all that hungry, but it's head hunger. I was bored with everything I could have. I had 4 weeks on liquids though. Some doctors let people move to mushy food sooner than mine did.

Feel free to ask questions!

I am having lap band in Houston on Friday 1/5. I am quite scared and hope everything goes well. What will the first few days be like? Do you find yourself being full weeks later? I hope I can eat a small amount of food and actually feel full. I am going to work hard. How long after surgery can you exercise? Dr. Garth Davis is doing my surgery so I feel I am in good, experienced hands.

I am so happy for you and hope to be where you are in a couple of months!

My seminar is Jan 16 with Dr. Garth Davis so I am just starting the process. Do you have a pre-op diet? Was there a requirement to do a medically supervised diet for x months beforehand? I have 6 months of Weight Watcher weigh-ins from last year for my insurance company (BC/BS PPO) so hopefully that will suffice. I am also on a CPAP for sleep apnea so I should qualify for surgery.

Please check in after your surgery to le me know how it went. Btw, Friday is 1/4, not 1/5 - the reason I know is it is my birthday :biggrin1:

Hey my 50+ gang how is everyone doing??

I see in my cruise the boards that we have alot of new 50+ people out there getting banded and this thread is getting lost.

It was such a big help for me - in my reseach of the band - I found this to be the most informative thread and the "Experienced Banders" really were a big help to me.

Well - I am almost 6 months out 1/2 lb away from 60 lbs gone and so now I can be an experienced bander too...

For all you newbies - start at page one and read forward you will learn so much and us oldies will answer your questions....

This is a Great Thread - it hasn't been as active lately - but if you post someone will answer......

Well, I'm hanging in there! I have no restriction and my second fill isn't until January 18 unless there's a cancellation before then. I'm exercising every day and trying to make good decisions but I refuse to be hungry and my doctor supports me on that. I'm gaining a little but I knew that was likely to happen, especially since I've always been a slow loser. On top of everything, being perimenopausal, my body is going through the "grand finale" on the Fourth of July -- anything and everything every two weeks! :o

I feel good that I got the holiday decorations down today. Tomorrow I may get caught up on ironing. Monday I have to report for jury duty at the county seat 45 minutes away. I also need to get my syllabus and plans ready for the four classes (three courses) I'll be teaching next semester, which begins January 14 (I teach math at community college.) Two of them I've taught for the last four semesters so only one needs more attention since I haven't taught it for a couple of years.

All in all, I'm doing fine and still spending a lot of time on the board, passing the time until I finally reach the losing phase!

I love this board. I spend a lot of time reading, even when I am not posting.

That is so great that you have lost 60 lbs already. It took me a year to lose that much. I really want this last 10 lbs gone!

Well, I'm hanging in there! I have no restriction and my second fill isn't until January 18 unless there's a cancellation before then. I'm exercising every day and trying to make good decisions but I refuse to be hungry and my doctor supports me on that. I'm gaining a little but I knew that was likely to happen, especially since I've always been a slow loser. On top of everything, being perimenopausal, my body is going through the "grand finale" on the Fourth of July -- anything and everything every two weeks! :)

I feel good that I got the holiday decorations down today. Tomorrow I may get caught up on ironing. Monday I have to report for jury duty at the county seat 45 minutes away. I also need to get my syllabus and plans ready for the four classes (three courses) I'll be teaching next semester, which begins January 14 (I teach math at community college.) Two of them I've taught for the last four semesters so only one needs more attention since I haven't taught it for a couple of years.

All in all, I'm doing fine and still spending a lot of time on the board, passing the time until I finally reach the losing phase!

Wow!! I love your graph!! Did you do that yourself?? Seeing your weight loss graphed out like that.. a real visual boost! I love it!

Hey, guys, thought I would join in the RV discussion, though I'm a little late as usual. DH and I went to an RV show yesterday and it seems all the major manufacturers are now offering a 23-24 foot motorhome with the Dodge Sprinter chassis, Mercedes diesel engine that gets 16-19 mpg. They are cute. We bought a Gulfstream Vista Cruiser Mini in August and like it, but the Winnebago and Fleetwood ones we saw at the show are really nice. We drove ours up to Tacoma WA from Arizona for the holidays and will head back down south Sunday, then we're off to Georgia to watch our son play college baseball the first of February. The motorcoach is great and drives like a pickup truck, fits widthwise into a regular parking space (a little long, but not more than a big crew cab pickup) and is comfortable to stay in. We aren't planning to take a tow vehicle with us to Georgia because it's so easy to just drive the coach around. It's small enough to spend a night in a friend's driveway without causing major disruption to their lives by taking up a bedroom and bathroom. And it actually gets better gas mileage than our old Ford pickup did.

Wow!! I love your graph!! Did you do that yourself?? Seeing your weight loss graphed out like that.. a real visual boost! I love it!

Hi, phyllser!

I got the graph from another diet board, Liquid Diet Discussion Board. I was active there when I lost weight on Medifast four years ago. I like this way of tracking my weight for the same reason you mentioned. The prediction of reaching goal is inspiring! :)

I don't know if you have to be a paid member to use the reporting tools. I was given a lifetime membership because I was a very active member at the time the owner started offering paid memberships (with extra features.)

Hey, guys, thought I would join in the RV discussion, though I'm a little late as usual. DH and I went to an RV show yesterday and it seems all the major manufacturers are now offering a 23-24 foot motorhome with the Dodge Sprinter chassis, Mercedes diesel engine that gets 16-19 mpg. They are cute. We bought a Gulfstream Vista Cruiser Mini in August and like it, but the Winnebago and Fleetwood ones we saw at the show are really nice. We drove ours up to Tacoma WA from Arizona for the holidays and will head back down south Sunday, then we're off to Georgia to watch our son play college baseball the first of February. The motorcoach is great and drives like a pickup truck, fits widthwise into a regular parking space (a little long, but not more than a big crew cab pickup) and is comfortable to stay in. We aren't planning to take a tow vehicle with us to Georgia because it's so easy to just drive the coach around. It's small enough to spend a night in a friend's driveway without causing major disruption to their lives by taking up a bedroom and bathroom. And it actually gets better gas mileage than our old Ford pickup did.

The Fleetwood one you saw is what we recently bought. The setting/bed is in the back, rather than the center as some are. We get a lot better than 16-19 mpg. My DH is obsessed with checking the milage. Sometimes we get as low as 20-21 mpg and other times 25mpg. Perhaps Fleetwood is keeping up it's reputation of lightweight, high GPH???? It is a Sprinter chasis with the Mercedes Diesel engine. It's 23 ft long.

At first they seemed real cramped if you are use to a larger RV. But we are getting use to it. Only problem we've had is that our 80 pound dogs' bed is right in front of the bathroom door. DH solved the problem by buiding a platform that sits over the stairway. It gives us enough space to move the dog bed over so we can get into the bathroom at night without waking the dog.

I love the RV and the gas milage. We had given up on using our old RV because it costs so much to go anywhere.

Well, I'm hanging in there! I have no restriction and my second fill isn't until January 18 unless there's a cancellation before then. I'm exercising every day and trying to make good decisions but I refuse to be hungry and my doctor supports me on that. I'm gaining a little but I knew that was likely to happen, especially since I've always been a slow loser. On top of everything, being perimenopausal, my body is going through the "grand finale" on the Fourth of July -- anything and everything every two weeks! :) All in all, I'm doing fine and still spending a lot of time on the board, passing the time until I finally reach the losing phase!

Longhorn - I see your post while I am crusing the other threads - I thought i was done with Aunt Flo - she hasn't visited since the 1st of 2007 - but this last week i have been spoting... I am lucky though i don't have any hot flashes or other problems from menopause.. I too refuse to be hungry - but sometimes i know that i am phyically full but mentally i am not - that is still the biggest battle for me ... I am a WW girl - so even when head hunger strikes - i just eat extra veggies - I budget my calories to allow for those extras - I think it's all about what works for you...

I love this board. I spend a lot of time reading, even when I am not posting. That is so great that you have lost 60 lbs already. It took me a year to lose that much. I really want this last 10 lbs gone!

Denise - I really mean it when I say that you, green, bjean (omg where has she been) hrlady, sheri & Michelle (sorry if I missed some others) but these are the 1st that come to mind when I first started my journey here. All of you were so helpful in explaining PBing - slime - how to get a ticker - that this was only a tool not the magic cure to my food issues... This was my main thread when I first joined. You all helped me so very much through my banding - biopsy etc - this thread doesn't get as much action as it use to and I miss it.. I was trying to bump it so that some of the newbies in our age group would read it...

I was prepared due to my age - not to lose it as fast as I have - so this has been a blessing - but I work very hard as I know that you do to.

Those 10 lbs will come off in 2008 :D

I love this board. I spend a lot of time reading, even when I am not posting.

That is so great that you have lost 60 lbs already. It took me a year to lose that much. I really want this last 10 lbs gone!

Look at you Denise! 60 lbs! That's great. I know you hung in there a long time on a plateau (sp?) & I'm happy for you that your fill helped. You're so close to your goal. Congrats to you!

Hi to everyone! I haven't posted here for a week or so....been on the January support. So much activity with everyone now getting there surgerys or getting close (like me) it's great to have all this support.

Have a great weekend everyone! We need to keep this band going for all of us & future 50 plus banders.

5 days :omg:

Carol

Michelle

23_34_1.gif

Just wanted to wish you a very

Happy Birthday

- Hope you have a Great Day-

13_10_10.gif

xoxo

Janet

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

I haven't posted to this thread, but read it. I was looking for it last night but couldn't find it. It has been a great help to me as I embarked on my journey with the rest of you. Thanks so much for being here!!!

I haven't posted to this thread, but read it. I was looking for it last night but couldn't find it. It has been a great help to me as I embarked on my journey with the rest of you. Thanks so much for being here!!!

Welcome Teresa...

You should now get a email notification or it will show up on your usercp when someone post here

Below - is shows additional options you can turn on or off the email notification - but it will still show up in your usercp.

I love LBT - it is my support group - you can come here day or night and find someone who with listen - understand - help...

This is especially for those who will be getting surgery. I found a pill crusher at Walmart yesterday. It really works great. Crushing your pills is a big thing after surgery. I still have to chop my pills into pieces. One pill that I take twice a day is so big that I have to cut it down into 8 pieces. Just crushing it with the pill crusher is so much faster. Also be sure and check with your pharmasist as to whether it is ok to crush which pills. After surgery I was crushing all my pills and found out that it was a definate no no for some of them. As for the 'no no' pills, I'm not sure what to do......does anyone know?????????