Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

We were given a box of four Irish whiskey creme cakes (or something like that -- I never got a real good look at the box.) We left the unopened box on the dining room table when we went to San Antonio overnight on New Year's Eve. Our five dogs managed to knock down the gate that cordons off their "Doggy Den" at the end of our sunroom. A friend came by and put them back in the pen (which has access to the backyard via a doggy door.) When we got home, there was trash all over the yard -- turns out, it was a destroyed box of tissues and the remnants of the box that held the cakes. We got home around noon on New Year's Day -- if the dogs had hangovers, they were gone by then. :)

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted for a long time, but I'm back. I am done with holiday eating. I hear you about the chocolates appearing after you clear everything out. My son was leaving trays of open Cookies on the table. I have been throwing his "treats" out. I also washed a big piece of chocolate cake that had my name on it. I was slicing away at it and realized, that even if I put it in the garbage, I might go back and sneak a pinch. Once the cake was in the disposal with Water all over it, the "enchantment" was broken. The sugar addicition is really tricky for me.

Do other people out there have those types of crazy thoughts?

Well, Happy New Year everyone! You know 2008 will be a much better year now that we are banded. Life has a lot to offer.

Hugs to all,

Michelle

Chocolate is an addiction for me. And I messed up bad on holidays. Put a few pounds back on and have just about got those pounds off now.

Haven't been able to flush the chocolate down the garbage disposer yet. I'd say that was a real big step for you. I swear sugar addiction is like alcoholism.

Breyers has a carb smart fudge bar that is heavenly. Bars are 100 calories each with 3 grams of net carbs. They are very creamy chocolate tasting and help sooth the choclate craving. 36_1_80.gif

Hi, all:

I haven't been under 200 for about 20 years so I'm pretty excited.

Hope everyone has a good week - I hit the road with work tomorrow and will be gone all week.Marlena

Marlena - CONGRATS on Onderland :clap2:

Real chocolate candy - I just don't do it - I don't start - Not one piece of See's passed my lips over the holidays - did allow myself xmas cookes that I made with Grandaughters & tamales that I made with DIL - but that was it... I find that i can satisfy my craving for choc with my double choc sf puddings & healthy choice fudgecicles which are sf and have only 80 calories...

Hi Everyone,

Do other people out there have those types of crazy thoughts?

Well, Happy New Year everyone! You know 2008 will be a much better year now that we are banded. Life has a lot to offer.

Hugs to all,

Michelle

Michelle - I had Cookies that were to deliver to a freind - but never made it to their house - I had finished my allotment - I took those that were left and threw in the trash - they were covered in plastic on a paper plate - then I realize that due to the fact that they were covered I could go back - so i took them out and crumbled them up so i couldn't go back.. I bet there isn't a fat person who hasn't done this you are normal - well at least you and I are :)

Chocolate is an addiction for me. And I messed up bad on holidays. Put a few pounds back on and have just about got those pounds off now.

Haven't been able to flush the chocolate down the garbage disposer yet. I'd say that was a real big step for you. I swear sugar addiction is like alcoholism.

Breyers has a carb smart fudge bar that is heavenly. Bars are 100 calories each with 3 grams of net carbs. They are very creamy chocolate tasting and help sooth the choclate craving.

NMSunshine

I want to you to THROW THOSE DARN candies AWAY NOW....

You can do it - walk over to the trash throw them in and pour something over them... Do it now - Do not let stupid choc win over you - they are the devil... They are doing nothing but hurting you..... Throw them away NOW..... Better in thee than in me..... Your new mantra...

xoxox

Janet

P.S. - My NSV for not eating candy - I have a size 12 pair of pants on....

They have a new place for us 50+ people on the main page - do you all want to move here so we can help the new 50+

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f120/hey-50-over-gang-we-have-new-spot-48751/

IndioGirl

I've already eaten all the chocolates. What I do is tell myself stuff like "If I eat them now, I'll be able to get back on my diet tomarrow, so i'd better finish them off". 36_11_8.gif

Isn't that self-deception to the max. But I promise, next time chocolates come to this house............I'll flush them...

IndioGirl

I've already eaten all the chocolates. What I do is tell myself stuff like "If I eat them now, I'll be able to get back on my diet tomarrow, so i'd better finish them off". 36_11_8.gif

Isn't that self-deception to the max. But I promise, next time chocolates come to this house............I'll flush them...

NMsunshine - don't let them in the house..... I don't - oh yes i did in october for halloween but only had like 3 or 5 mini candies. but other than than - nothing in my house that i know i will pig out on...

NMsunshine - don't let them in the house..... I don't - oh yes i did in october for halloween but only had like 3 or 5 mini candies. but other than than - nothing in my house that i know i will pig out on...

Yea, you got it. My BF is skinny, he's almost 6 foot and weighs about 162. He can eat anything and doesn't gain. He loves my cooking, so I cook these really yummy meals that I don't need to eat (nor can I eat much of anymore). He likes his ice cream or sugar Snacks in evening. I'm fine with them as long as it is not chocolate. He won't bring home chocolate because of that. Still cooking for someone else has its problems. When i lived alone dieting was much easier. We've been together 10 years so that is not likely to change.

But, I also like a glass or two or even three glasses of wine and know that, that is a diet killer.

You said you were in a size 12 pants...WOW!!!!

Yea, you got it. My BF is skinny, he's almost 6 foot and weighs about 162. He can eat anything and doesn't gain. He loves my cooking, so I cook these really yummy meals that I don't need to eat (nor can I eat much of anymore). He likes his ice cream or sugar Snacks in evening. I'm fine with them as long as it is not chocolate. He won't bring home chocolate because of that. Still cooking for someone else has its problems. When i lived alone dieting was much easier. We've been together 10 years so that is not likely to change.

But, I also like a glass or two or even three glasses of wine and know that, that is a diet killer.

You said you were in a size 12 pants...WOW!!!!

Yes being single (except for my Grandson) it is very easy - I don't know what I would do if I have to really cook for someone else - my GS is easy so it's no biggie - he's gone half the time anyway... My Xdh didn't like fish - so I would be up a creek - I don't have as many temptations in my way...

:pYep have on a size 12 pair of pants today:p

I now have 2 pairs - a pair of slacks and some ralph lauren jeans... I have never been a 12 before - 14 or 13 juniors is the smallest I ahve ever been...

Yes being single (except for my Grandson) it is very easy - I don't know what I would do if I have to really cook for someone else - my GS is easy so it's no biggie - he's gone half the time anyway... My Xdh didn't like fish - so I would be up a creek - I don't have as many temptations in my way...

I now have 2 pairs - a pair of slacks and some ralph lauren jeans... I have never been a 12 before - 14 or 13 juniors is the smallest I ahve ever been...

I so look forward to getting into a pair of jeans. A size 16 to start with. I'm not there yet. I have large boxes of clothes in storage. The jeans

& pants are size 7 and tops medium. They are really pretty clothes and almost new. Those boxes of clothes are my inspiration to lose weight.

I'm only 5 foot tall so I look best in a size 7.

I so look forward to getting into a pair of jeans. A size 16 to start with. I'm not there yet. I have large boxes of clothes in storage. The jeans

& pants are size 7 and tops medium. They are really pretty clothes and almost new. Those boxes of clothes are my inspiration to lose weight.

I'm only 5 foot tall so I look best in a size 7.

OMG I haven't been a 7 since i was in my teens & early 20's. weighed 117 - 120.. I'm 5'4 - so am a tad taller...

I will be happy with a 10 :)- as long as I don't have to shop in the plus size stores...

OMG I haven't been a 7 since i was in my teens & early 20's. weighed 117 - 120.. I'm 5'4 - so am a tad taller...

I will be happy with a 10 :)- as long as I don't have to shop in the plus size stores...

I was a size 7 about 8 years ago. I was between 120 and 124. At that time I had bought a ton of nice clothes before my divorce was final. The divorce was final on Feb. of 2001 but the settlement and legal stuff dragged on until the last few months. The stress was horrid. And my weight skyrocketed. It hit 199 at one point. Now I'm at 174.5 with lots and lots more to lose. I'd also became hypothyroid during this time. It was the possiblity of seeing 200 that got me off my ass to try and diet.

NO PLUS SIZES, YOU BET!:whoo:

4_6_200v.gif 4_6_109v.gif 23_34_4.gif Hi guys, you were all right.....I got out my info from the preop education class & it is the calcium citrate I'm supposed to get. I don't know how I missed that. So I will have to get that picked up. I'm ready! Thursday 8:00 A.M. I'll be joining you all! Thank you!

Carol

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

Indio, you brought tears to my eyes! Congratulation on your SIZE 12's!I'm full of hope & I'm so ready for the next part of my journey to being healthier! Thanks for all your sharing of ideas & support to all of us. I'll join you all on the other thread.

Carol

Hi everyone this board is sooo interersting. I will be 52 next month and need to lose about 65 lbs. My medical dr is supportive and is making my appointments for surgeon tomorrow. My insurance is known for paying for band and bypass, so I do not forsee any problems.

My concern is what I will eat after surgery, I travel alot on weekends.

My other concern is of course it scares me to death, but I want to feel and be healthy.

I am blessed with a wonderful healthy husband of 29 years and two great sons and a new daughter-in law. I want to continue to have a good healthy quality of life, so I think this is my best bet.

I have always been overweight all my life, but as you age it gets harder to feel good and be healthy w/ 65 extra lbs.

This board is goin to be so resourceful. The info, discussion, before and after pics are inspiraational

Keep it coming Kathy

Right after surgery your surgeon will probably put you on a special diet I have been bande over a year and I think every doctor is somewhat different, but you will have to be on liquids After you can get on normal food I eat in the morning Protein Bars with around 20 Proteins Some of them are pretty bad, like taste like cardboard, but I go to sams Lunches when I am doing good I get a bowl of chili from wendys and add some cheese. If I am eating out I go to the appetizers or the oer 55 menu. Even though I am close to that most restraurants don't say anything...... Maybe I just look like I am over 55.

Good Luck

Linda51