Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

How is weight loss for people over 50? Can we still expect to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week with the band?

I was banded in March and have lost 26 pounds. But I was relatively unrestricted up to now. I just had a fill today and am hoping it will jump start me. I'm 51 and expected that maybe I wouldn't lose as quickly as the younger members.

I am 62 years old, female. I was a heart patient, 4 heart stents, diabetic, hypertensive, arthritic, etc.

I am 5'2" and weighed 350 last October, lost down to 335 by surgery in March. I was at 300 June 8 and am now at 286. I've exercised not a lot (treadmill at fitness center 2-3 days/wk). I have adhered to the proper eating routine very strictly.....proteins first, greens next, no sweets, no breads, no fried foods, no carbonated drinks, no drink during meal or one hour afterward, and 2-3 Protein supplements a day every day. I havent' craved or 'suffered' at all.

I feel better than I have in many years and am beginning to be able to exercise more and get around better than I ever thought I would again.

I hope that you do as well and get the new hope for a future that I have gotten. Best wishes!!

I am 57 years old and had my surgery on 9-13-06. I was 340 pounds and 5' 1" tall. I am currently down 73 pounds. I lose about 1-2 pounds a week on average. I like losing slow so I'll have a chance to maybe get rid of some of the excess skin through exercise. I love my band and would do it all over in a minute if I needed to! I never feel deprived...I can eat most anything except any kind of bread product. I stick with my Proteins first(meat, veggies, cheese) and then eat as I feel appropriate. I use the Spark People web site to count calories, exercise, etc. It's pretty cool and keeps me accountable!

pam

I am 56 and have had my band almost 2 years. I have lost 97 pounds. Here is a photo taken just a few days ago, on vacation with my husband, Bob.

post-204296-13813133770077_thumb.jpg

I am 60 and was banded May 9 - 10 weeks ago. I have lost a total of 33 lbs, 21 since surgery. However, I stalled for the last 4 weeks. I had my first fill last Friday and have since lost 3 lbs. I don't exercise (I know, I know), but it's working anyway.

This is so encouraging. I'm in the process of preparing for lap band surgery -- getting my physical, making other appts. I read an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal comparing lap band sucess to bypass success. The article favored the bypass, but I've been reading posts on this website and it seems to me that so many of you have been tremendously successful. I got to thinking about my age (54), and wondered if all these successes were happening for people who had youth and a more efficient metabolism on their side. It's made me feel better to know that those of you who responded are pleased with your success and would do it again.

This is such a big decision. I don't want to find myself in the 1/2 lb. a week weight loss category after surgery. Honestly, if I lose that slowly I would become so discouraged. I went to Weight Watchers last year and after 16 weeks I had lost 8 lbs. Since I need to take off 150 lbs., I threw in the towel. I just couldn't see the big picture looming so far ahead of me. I saw myself counting points until I was old enough to receive Social Security.

Anyway, just want to say thank you so much for responding. I appreciate it. By the way, Carlene, you look beautiful.

Debi

You bet you can. I am 62 and have lost an average of 3 lbs. a week. Just got my second fill this morning. I have been stuck a little but has started to move again. I'm not quite three months out and am almost half way to goal.

Carlene had my name for our secert sam drawing and yes that is a beautiful picture Miss Carlene.:eek:

I am 53 and was banded 2-7-06. I am down 68 lbs and am loosing slowly ( for me!- fine for my dr.!) but steady. I stop for a wk or so and then start loosing again but the big point is I keep going down. I know I could go quicker if I worked out more - currently i power walk daily ( my dog never had stroll programmed into him!) for a mile or 2. I think after haveing 50 some years of bad eatting habits it may take a bit longer to retrain. I know if I don't think about it every minute when I am eatting, I will eat too fast and pay for it by PBing. I am learning....

Consider the recovery period as well in your decision process. The lapband surgery is easier to recover from and is reversible. At our age I wanted all my options open to me. I didn't want to alter my body permanently in such a way that I would regret later if some disease took over. I feel that the slower weight loss process than bypass is better for our bodies and studies are now showing that we keep it off longer.

Good luck in any decision you make.

Hi!

This thread is very interesting to me. I just turned 60 and 3 weeks later got my band. I was a 33.5 BMI and it scared me to think they wouldn't put the band on. I have "watched" my weight for decades and it has worked to maintain, but to lose weight? Forget it! I decided I had had it--60 or no. I want to keep my knees in good working order, keep ME in good working order and yes, I want to look good.

I have lost 8 pounds and get my first fill tomorrow! When I get discouraged I remind myself I don't have that much to lose --30 pounds would be terrific and I'd take 40--but not much over that. .. I'm pretty muscular and happy (over all) not being a string-bean. I also tell myself I am 60 and therefore. . .my metabolism isn't that brisk.

It is great to hear from other older bandsters. I think we should all pat ourselves on the back for keeping on it. Incidentally, I too have done weight watchers and found it too slow (mostly because my portions were too large! couldn't help it). But weight watchers WITH a band .. .that's good eating. Sorry to go on so. Just so glad to talk to those with similar goals, issues and chutzpah!

Deb:D

I was banded Aug. 29, 2005. I have lost about 78 pounds. Everyone tells me that i don't need to lose any more weight. I am happy if I don't lose another pound--but I don't want to gain any. My weight loss has slowed down. But, it sure is great to be wearing a size 12 or medium! I will be 58 in September.

Important article about obesity in today"s New York Times magazine. Well worth the time.

It's Deb again. I have lost --still--9 - 10 pounds, banded June 5. I know I need a second fill and am going Thursday. Still, it is a miracle I haven't gained a single pound in two months! I'm not sure if it is my age or my low BMI that slows me down--I think it is hunger and wanting to feel full! I'll let you know what fill number 2 does. And thanks for writing showboatgirl--I bet you are!

Deb

I was banded Aug. 29, 2005. I have lost about 78 pounds. Everyone tells me that i don't need to lose any more weight. I am happy if I don't lose another pound--but I don't want to gain any. My weight loss has slowed down. But, it sure is great to be wearing a size 12 or medium! I will be 58 in September.

I am going through pre-op tests. When I went to my PCP for a physical, I wasn't sure how she'd react to my getting a lap band, so I was relieved that she was so supportive of my decision. In fact, she is thrilled that I'm doing it. I'll be 55 in September. I have about 150 lbs. to lose and it really overwhelms me. I hear what your saying about Weight Watchers, Deb. They allowed me 30 points, but I think it was too much food for my age and metabolism. I lost sooooo slowly and that was really discouraging for me. I just couldn't stay positive. Averaging out at 1/2 pound of weight loss a week, it would take forever until I even felt a difference in my waistband. I need a little more incentive than that. I'm concerned about losing slowly with the lap band too, but at least I'll be able to eat less and not feel hungry 24/7.

The first doctor I went to really pushed the bypass. After researching the RNY at length, I decided I really couldn't put myself at such a risk for complications. If I were 20 years younger, pehaps I may have given it more consideration -- I don't know. Anyway, I went to a different surgeon who is an enthusiastic supporter of the lap band. I think I mentioned once before that if I'm going to have this surgery, I don't want a doctor who makes me second guess myself. It's tough enough.

These pre-op tests have been a real thrill. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound of my abdomen, which has now led to me having a CAT scan tomorrow. Then she sent me for an ecchocardiagram (spelling?) and stress test. When I did the stress test, I was only able to get to 85% of my heart rate. The cardiologist saw something that causes a "little" concern, so now I have to have a nuclear stress test (a stress test that is induced at rest so they can get a picture of my heart at 100% target). A real thrill -- I'm not looking forward to it. I'm feeling like I opened Pandora's box. I'm just hoping everything will turn out fine and I will get the okay for the lap band surgery. I'm anxious to really start seeing this weight come off so I can live a healthier life.

Sorry for the long post. I think those of us who are 50+ have some issues that maybe some of the younger folks haven't experienced yet. Your body can take a lot more neglect when your younger. The weight certainly catches up with you when your older.

Regards... Debi