Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Happy Holidays.....hope all of you are enjoying the time you are spending with your family and friends. I was banded in October and I am down 28 pounds. I am so thankful to the person that discovered the band. What a wonderful invention and a lifesaver to so many of us that constantly struggled with yo-yo dieting. This will be the first New Year's that I am able to make a resolution to lose weight and "know" I will actually keep the resolution. I feel great after Christmas feasting and wasn't scared to step on the scale after all the festivities. Hope you are all doing well this holiday season and enjoying your new, even more beautiful selves.

Happy New Year.........enjoy!!

He everyone, I miss all the post from you guys. I guess everyone is still celebrating the holidays. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Brenda

Hey Brenda - Christmas was wonderful - but glad it's over...

Brenda, I've missed the posts here too with all the holiday activities. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I'm looking forward to my band date....just 15 days until I can join ya'll.

Brenda, love your new avatar! Did you change your ticker too? 15 lbs!!! Good job.:clap2: Carol

Carol - 1/10 that will be here before you know it.. You will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery -

Hi all! Happy Holidays! We are back from our trip. Great trip but 3 weeks is a long time to be away from home. On the way back stopped in TJ for 2nd fill. Went from 2 cc to 3.5cc Still no restriction but I do get full faster. Gained 3 lbs during vacation but I am amazed it wasn't more. My Sister in law kept saying "but I made it just for you" or I bought it just for you. She doesn't know about the lapband so it was hard to refuse. When we were in Disney World we were on the eating plan - Don't do it - we spent most of our time trying to get to the restaurants. Missed a lot and ate too much.

3.5 seems like a good fill I wish I understood why some have restriction and others don't. Any ideas? Hope ypu all did bettert than I did over the holidays Nance

Nance all i can tell you is the band is a fickle object - it can take 2 weeks for you to fell restriction - since you are getting full faster then I would say you do have restriction - how much are you able to eat 1 cup 1/2 cup - 2 cups...

Happy Holidays.....hope all of you are enjoying the time you are spending with your family and friends. I was banded in October and I am down 28 pounds. I am so thankful to the person that discovered the band. What a wonderful invention and a lifesaver to so many of us that constantly struggled with yo-yo dieting. This will be the first New Year's that I am able to make a resolution to lose weight and "know" I will actually keep the resolution. I feel great after Christmas feasting and wasn't scared to step on the scale after all the festivities. Hope you are all doing well this holiday season and enjoying your new, even more beautiful selves.

Notmzperfect - I agree I love my band... I had Cookies & tamales over the holidays - but made sure i got my exercise in and lost 1/2 lbs this week. I didn't own a scale prior to being banded so don't know what amount i usually gained but i must have cuz I use to PIG out on the cookies candies etc - My 1st sweets of the season were on 12/22 and over on 12/25 - allowed myself 3 cookies a day...

Am looking forward to a healthy & happy 2008...

We'd rather sleep in our own bed in our RV, too. We put in a sleep number bed last summer, too!

36_15_61.gif

You know in some ways RV's are about taking your own personal space with you. I don't like to stay at others houses and I don't like motels. It seemed that we were the only RV on the road on xmas eve.

Carol - 1/10 that will be here before you know it.. You will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery -

Thank you IndioGirl! I appreciate your prayers & good wishes. Always enjoy your posts, positive attitude and sharing your experiences.

You know in some ways RV's are about taking your own personal space with you. I don't like to stay at others houses and I don't like motels. It seemed that we were the only RV on the road on xmas eve.

NM Sunshine & Physer! When I get this band thing mastered I'm going to be asking you about this RVing! That is DH & my dream. No RV yet but with fuel these days we were having doubts...figure we'll just need to plan better & stay in one place longer....it's what we've worked for! Enjoy!

Want to take the time to thank all of you for your posts & support. Only 10 more days for me!:whoo: I'm so ready. I'm SO sick of my clothes-don't feel good in anything, I'm ready for change, I'm ready for the challenges..........I'm ready! Thank you all!

Happy New Year!

8_6_40.gif Carol

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

Wow! 28 pounds since October is fantastic! Congratulations on your banding and making it through the holiday feasting. :clap2: Have a great 2008 & I look forward to following your progress.

Luvsrocks

We had a gas guzzling RV and sold it when gas skyrocketed. Then bought a new Conversion van (Airstream with a Mercedes diesle engine). It's 22 or 23 foot long and high enough for someone 6' or more to walk around in. It has everything, just more compact. Our old RV was getting 7 to 8 miles a gallon, this one gets about 25 miles to the gallon. The better gas milage makes a world of difference. But, for trips with long stays it's a bit cramped.

10 days will go by really fast..............

Thanks Sunshine! My dh is a believer in the diesel engine but we hadn't looked at any Airstream yet. Thx for info. Happy New Year to you!

Thank you IndioGirl! I appreciate your prayers & good wishes. Always enjoy your posts, positive attitude and sharing your experiences. /quote]

Thanks Carol - I have had a cold for the last few days - think i have had enough rest - went to the gym this morning did my 3 miles - hated the last mile - but i am always challenging myself... The only time it doens't work is when it comes to eating when I am hungry - it seems like when i do that i just want to eat more - so I just eat some extra veggies or a snack pack of popcorn.< /p>

Are you on a pre-op diet??? Hows that going...

8_6_37.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

Thank you IndioGirl! I appreciate your prayers & good wishes. Always enjoy your posts, positive attitude and sharing your experiences. /quote]

Thanks Carol - I have had a cold for the last few days - think i have had enough rest - went to the gym this morning did my 3 miles - hated the last mile - but i am always challenging myself... The only time it doens't work is when it comes to eating when I am hungry - it seems like when i do that i just want to eat more - so I just eat some extra veggies or a snack pack of popcorn.< /p>

Are you on a pre-op diet??? Hows that going...

8_6_37.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

Sorry to hear about your cold! There have been colds & tummy flu all around me & I've tried so hard to stay healthy for surgery. Would hate to have to be rescheduled. I normally get something right after Christmas because I'm worn down, but this year my DIL did the entertaining & cooking, my shopping was done by Nov so I could concentrate on staying healthy. I don't have a preop diet but since 8_6_40.gif Christmas have concentrated on high Protein low carb & lots of H20. I still have had no drive to exercise. The last two weeks I've exercised 3 times for 10 or 15 minutes. The next two days my knees hurt, I give up & try again in a couple days....but no drive there. I pray that it comes with the loss of a few lbs. This AM I decided to walk to the back of our lot & back & do it twice a day....it's a starting place I can deal with today.

Is your hunger.....head hunger or tummy hunger? I know the head hunger is going to be my biggest challenge. I've made a little 3x5 card with little things to do to deter emotional eating. I'd better make more to put all over the house! LOL

Thanks again! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Carol

Thanks Sunshine! My dh is a believer in the diesel engine but we hadn't looked at any Airstream yet. Thx for info. Happy New Year to you!

We are partial to Winnebago products. Ours is a 32ft Brave. They now have one called the View that comes in a mercedes diesel engine. It's 24 ft. There are 3 floor plans, 2 with a slide out.

We get 7-8 mpg in the Brave, but once we get down here to CA, we stay put for 4 months. Might take a trip back east this summer, but usually just the one big trip each year. So, not too bad. Probably about $150 in gas each travel day.

[

Is your hunger.....head hunger or tummy hunger? I know the head hunger is going to be my biggest challenge. I've made a little 3x5 card with little things to do to deter emotional eating. I'd better make more to put all over the house! LOLThanks again! Hope you are feeling better soon. Carol

Carol - If I stay busy I don't get hungry - but that's alway how I have been - If I am doing something - like shopping - I don't want to stop and eat. While I was on vacation a few weeks back - I was doing so much that I usually didn't eat til night time - but once I start - I have a hard time stopping.

I have some restriction - imho need a little more - but mostly head hunger at night after dinner - last night had 4 oz chicken 1/2 c rice and 3/4 c veggies - was satisfied but still wanted to eat - made a snack pack 100 calorie popcorn - and ate it one piece at a time - and after that I was ok. I just find low calorie things like sf pudding & popcicles to tide me over - I budget my calories to compensate for my night time hunger...

I get on the computer when I am hungry if it's not too late - you will find that your January 2008 group will keep you really busy - when we all 1st got banded in my Lucky #7 (july) omg you would have 10 pages to read every day - but as time wears on we don't have as many people cking in anymore - just a few of us..

Exercise - I started with a 20 min mile and worked my way up - my knees hurt a little to begin with but as the weight comes off - the knees aren't as bad.

Well gotta go put the prime rib in the oven - I have a gf coming over to watch movies etc - we have known each other since high school - and since we are both single - we hang out a lot togethers

8_6_40.gifHOPE EVERYONE HAS A HAPPY NEW YEARS 8_6_43.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

Hey, it seems like nobody is posting very much. I guess everone is with family. I do not feel right if I can't get on this forum and read what everyone else has been doing. I am 4 weeks and 3 days post surgery. Things are sure better now that I have gotten past the first two weeks. I have lost 16 pounds. I know that is not a lot of pounds but I didn't have any pre-op diet so I don't think thats too bad. I get my first fill on Jan 8th. I am really looking forward to that but one thing I am worried about is in the mornings lately, I feel some restriction and am not hungry for a few hours once I get up. Has anyone else had that happen? What will happen once I start getting fills. If I feel that full in the morning before I get a fill, what's going to happen when I do get one?? Any body had this experience?? Hope everyone is doing great. Brenda;)

Most people do say they are not hungry in the morning. The thought is the band is tighter in the AM from sleeping. You aren't as hydrated after sleeping. The band reacts to how hydrated you are.

A lot of people will drink a Protein Drink in the morning to get their Protein in but don't feel much like eating.

I had the stomach flu over Christmas. Today I had a PB experience, which I have not done in a long time. My stomach is sore. I sure hope I didn't hurt anything in there. I always stick

to liquids after a bad pb, but tonight I am hungry and I don't know if my stomach ache is due to that bug that's going around, or if I am just hungry. My stomach just kind of aches.

The RV stories remind me of my parents. They took me all around the United States in an RV when I was 17 . That's how my dad decided he was going to retire in Mesa AZ. He did the snow bird thing for awhile back and forth from Chicago, until they finally moved to AZ full time. Mesa is completely full of RV parks.

Hope everyone is having a great New Years.

I am having lap band in Houston on Friday 1/5. I am quite scared and hope everything goes well. What will the first few days be like? Do you find yourself being full weeks later? I hope I can eat a small amount of food and actually feel full. I am going to work hard. How long after surgery can you exercise? Dr. Garth Davis is doing my surgery so I feel I am in good, experienced hands.

I am having lap band in Houston on Friday 1/5. I am quite scared and hope everything goes well. What will the first few days be like? Do you find yourself being full weeks later? I hope I can eat a small amount of food and actually feel full. I am going to work hard. How long after surgery can you exercise? Dr. Garth Davis is doing my surgery so I feel I am in good, experienced hands.

Hello Texasbanster,

uijjjjjI am 4 weeks post-op and I felt so nervous before my surgery, I could have cried. I did not know why but I did. I promise you that it will be fine. Just remember, the first couple of weeks of liquids will not last for ever and then you can start a more normal eating pattern. Being able to eat a small amount and feel full, they tell me, comes from getting your fills. You will feel some restriction right after surgery due to the swelling. Once the swelling starts to go away, you might get a bit hungry. In all honesty, I started getting hungry before those first 2 weeks of liquids were up but some folks don't. I get my first fill on Jan 8th. I can hardly wait. I want to have the feeling of eating only a small amount and feeling full. I still feel some restriction in the mornings. The bands are tighter in the morning. I am only getting started in my journey but there are so many people on here that have been doing this for a long time and have been very successful. They are great help. One of the many that has really helped me has been Indigo Girl. She is so positive and will tell you "just how it is." As far as exercise, my dr. wanted me to start walking right away. Walking helps to eliminate the gas they use to expand your abdomen in order to do the surgery. Every dr. has different things they require. The best advise I can give you is to follow to the "t", what the dr. orders. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. Brenda