Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Brenda

Thanks !!! I feel so much better - I am no longer carrying around 55 lbs of potatoes...

You are talking to the QUEEN of nite time eating :confused: - I still eat at nite but i budget my calories to allow for it... I normally don't have Snacks during the day - at night I have my sf choc pudding 1 or 2 60 cal each or a healthy choice fudgecicle 80 cal or extra veggies and sometime toast or popcorn or a dannon lite & fit yogurt - I go on the 19th for another fill - only need a tad but it is taking more than 1 cup to be full.. IMHO I don't want to eat only 1/2 cup per meal - I don't think you can get enough calories that way - and I am losing on my 1000- 1200 calories a day - and walking 2 or 3 mile x 4 or 5 days a week..

My suggestion is to budget your calories so that you can have a treat at nite - if you don't you are going to end up over eating. But this is just my humble opinion -

Glad to hear you are over the liquid stage - that is so hard and you had to do it much longer than i did...

Keep us posted on how you are doing...

Janet

Hi Janet, Well I cheated for the first time today. I feel very guilty. I had popcorn with pecans drizzled with white chocolate. I had 2 small cups. Now I want carbs badly... My own fault. ha I don't feel like I have any restriction. I guess my swelling is gone and I have to wait for the fills. My first one is not until Jan. 8th. I feel like I could eat most anything. Is that normal at this stage of the game? I will be 3 weeks post op on Friday. Take care, Brenda

Hi Janet, Well I cheated for the first time today. I feel very guilty. I had popcorn with pecans drizzled with white chocolate. I had 2 small cups. Now I want carbs badly... My own fault. ha I don't feel like I have any restriction. I guess my swelling is gone and I have to wait for the fills. My first one is not until Jan. 8th. I feel like I could eat most anything. Is that normal at this stage of the game? I will be 3 weeks post op on Friday. Take care, Brenda

Brenda - the popcorn wasn't bad - it was the junk you had with it :(

Ok don't mean to be a smarta$$ here - but i want to know what the diff 2 small cups vs 2 reg cups:biggrin1: This is the kind of thinking we have to re-think - a cup is a cup - we gotta learn what a real measurement is..

8/31 I had 1 1/2 pieces of cake on my DIL bday... I pretty much stay away from sweets (well real sugar - i have sf pudding & fudgecicles)- I haven't had any so far this xmas season... Cuz once i start - OMG can't quit... This weekend will be baking xmas Cookies w/grandaughters and making tamales with DIL - but I get a fill tomorrow - I am allowing myself 5 cookie for the whole xmas season - but I will increase my exercise plus I will be on liquids for 4 days since i go for my fill tomorrow...-

Yes you are normal - If i remember correctly - 3 weeks out I had a tad restriction - I could eat 2 cups of zuchinee and my fish & 1/2 c rice - but since i am a ww girl - to me veggies are pretty much free - so when you are still hunger eat an extra cup of veggies - I have never limited myself to say 1/2 c per meal - I would say I eat about 2 cup right now - 4 oz fish - 1/2 c rice - and 3/4 cup veggies. IMHO 1/2 c of food isn't enought - especially for my brain. I have a little bowl i got at target that is 1 cup and I eat off sandwich plates... with good restiction I eat about a cup per meal - and I am happy with that.

Also - it's not a cheat - but a treat and now you have to pay yourself back for that treat - you gotta walk 1/2 mile or a full extra mile ...

I eat healthy 98% of the time - but you know what so do normal people - I use to eat healthy only 2% of the time and bad 98% of the time..

So take the word cheat out of your vocabulary - and replace it with treat - Skinny people have treats - not cheats - make sure your treats are only 2% of your eating an not 98% of it:biggrin1:

That's my phylosophy (sp)... If i eat I increase my exercise & eat less at my next meal - Like today I went out to lunch ate an enchillada & 3/4 of my taco - so for dinner just meat and veggies and i walked 3 miles instead of 2... Thankfully I go for a fill tomorrow - that's one reason I ate out of my norm - cuz I know that for the next few days I won't be able to eat much at all..

You can do this and I bet you that you really can't eat as much food as you use too - you might not feel much restriction - but i bet you do have some..

Talk to you soon..

:confused::girl_hug: Janet

Hey, thats what I intend on doing....warm wine..........or a hot toddy:heh:

NMSunshine - :heh: NO HOT TODDY OR MULED WINE (isn't that warm wine) too many calories - a cup of tea about 1/2 hr before your meal... I am going to have to watch out for you and Phyl ... You are bad girls:p

I like the attitude of adjusting thinking along with eating habits. That was a nice response to Brenda.

Brenda, I don't know if what you're experiencing is normal or not, but I'm right there with you. I go for a fill today and am lookng forward to more restriction. I can eat 6 ounces of steak, a baked potato and about a cup of salad before I feel full.

I will say that I have noticed lately that I feel full sooner and longer when I eat Protein first. I was straying off track and eating carbs sooner in the meal than I have been lately. I'm liking the change that I am fuller sooner. And all I'm doing is eating better quality protein (like chicken, cottage cheese, steak (on occasion), deli meats, etc). I don't get the feeling as much with scrambled eggs.

Hang in there Brenda, it's a process we're going through. If it was a miracle, we'd all be ecstatically happy, wouldn't we!

Sue Stenel

NMSunshine - :heh: NO HOT TODDY OR MULED WINE (isn't that warm wine) too many calories - a cup of tea about 1/2 hr before your meal... I am going to have to watch out for you and Phyl ... You are bad girls:p

Yep! I am BAD!! Neighbors had us over for a Christmas get-together tonight and I over did the wine a little! But I had only 2 crackers and some salmon... they have Alaska connections and they had caribou sausage, smoked salmon and salmon spread!! I got my seafood fix. We had no dinner after that.

Yep! I am BAD!! Neighbors had us over for a Christmas get-together tonight and I over did the wine a little! But I had only 2 crackers and some salmon... they have Alaska connections and they had caribou sausage, smoked salmon and salmon spread!! I got my seafood fix. We had no dinner after that.

Caribou sausage - I would try that ... I like to try different stuff - I eat sushi - escargo - steak tartar - oysters on the half shell - etc... I will try anything once...

Caribou sausage - I would try that ... I like to try different stuff - I eat sushi - escargo - steak tartar - oysters on the half shell - etc... I will try anything once...

Yeah, it was good! And i LOVE sushi! I was looking at some at costco yesterday. DH won't eat it, so I can't buy it. It goes bad before I can finish even one of those small Costco trays. That's one of the things I enjoy at the Morongo seafood buffet!

INDIO

Muled wine, interesting as I can't remember what hot wine is called.................perhaps chili wine:target:

Tried the hot tea and thnaks, it works

Brenda, my name is Brenda too

INDIO

Muled wine, interesting as I can't remember what hot wine is called.................perhaps chili wine:target:

Tried the hot tea and thnaks, it works

Brenda, my name is Brenda too

Hello there Brenda. Nice name .. lol. I see you were banded in Sept. I was banded Nov. 30th. I have really enjoyed getting to eat some real food this week. I have not had anything stuck until tonight. I ate an orange. I only ate the inside part but it felt like it was stuck for a while. I guess you live and learn. Take care, Brenda B.

Hey Bandsters! I had my appointment with the surgeon today & really liked her. Showed me the old lapband & the new one & told me to research them and decide which one I want. 3 weeks from today! I'm ready to go. When my Mom & I were getting on the elevator a gal our age & DH were getting on, she asked where I was in the process & said she was banded the 21st of November, had just gotten her first fill, had lost 25 lbs & had already dropped 2 of her 7 meds! She was beaming and I felt so full of hope I looked at my Mom and we both welled up with tears.

I appreciate you guys sharing so much! Indio & Phyl....you look great! Thanks for posting pics. I'm excited.

Carol

Hello, I am in the process of getting all of my pre requisits done for a surgery date. I'm trying to connect on a board, but have not had any luck so far. I am 54 and like the idea of conncecting with women my age being banded. I just want this weight off and not feel like I have to eat all the time. I know it's a journey, but one that will be well worth it.

Susan Powell:clap2:

Hello, I am in the process of getting all of my pre requisits done for a surgery date. I'm trying to connect on a board, but have not had any luck so far. I am 54 and like the idea of conncecting with women my age being banded. I just want this weight off and not feel like I have to eat all the time. I know it's a journey, but one that will be well worth it.

:welcome2::welcomeB::welcome2:

Susan,

Glad to have you visit here. I think you will find this a site where you can vent, share your ups and downs, ask questions, etc. Hope you'll consider this one of your lapband favorite threads.

Susan,

Also check out christian-bandsters thread... I think it's Christians with a small "c". There was another site for Christians that sort of faded out so someone started a new one and it's been pretty active.

Hello there Brenda. Nice name .. lol. I see you were banded in Sept. I was banded Nov. 30th. I have really enjoyed getting to eat some real food this week. I have not had anything stuck until tonight. I ate an orange. I only ate the inside part but it felt like it was stuck for a while. I guess you live and learn. Take care, Brenda B.

Brenda B - It's the outside membrain that causes the problem - I ate 1/4 of an orange the other day - and after tons of chewing - I had to spit out that part - i think that's why I only ate 1/4 cuz the 1st section I ate - I ate the whole thing and then as I way chewing the 2nd section I could tell it wouldn't go down smoothly. Too much work - so just quit

Hey Bandsters! I had my appointment with the surgeon today & really liked her. Showed me the old lapband & the new one & told me to research them and decide which one I want. 3 weeks from today! I'm ready to go. When my Mom & I were getting on the elevator a gal our age & DH were getting on, she asked where I was in the process & said she was banded the 21st of November, had just gotten her first fill, had lost 25 lbs & had already dropped 2 of her 7 meds! She was beaming and I felt so full of hope I looked at my Mom and we both welled up with tears. I appreciate you guys sharing so much! Indio & Phyl....you look great! Thanks for posting pics. I'm excited. Carol

Carol - Thanks - I would suggest the new band - it's suppose to be improved to reduce the risk of eroision - i think... for me the band is the greatest - it's my interior motivator and I feel so much better..

Hello, I am in the process of getting all of my pre requisits done for a surgery date. I'm trying to connect on a board, but have not had any luck so far. I am 54 and like the idea of conncecting with women my age being banded. I just want this weight off and not feel like I have to eat all the time. I know it's a journey, but one that will be well worth it. Susan Powell:clap2:

Susan - Welcome :clap2: this thread is one of my first ones when I joined back in May - They are the greatest group of women - did you start on page 1 and read forward?? If you didn't - I suggest you do - you will see how supportive and helpful everyone here is..

The band is a great tool to help you shed those unwanted pound -

On this thread & others - you will hear/read that word "TOOL" all the time and you will be warned that - that is all it is - the real work will be up to you to make healthy food choices and add exercise into your life.

By making very healthy food choices & exercise - I have lost 58.5 lbs in 5 months.. I am happy - My doc is very happy and say i am losing weight faster than most banders - I told him that I went to a lot of trouble to get this band (surgery) and i am very motivated to work my tool - and that's what I am doing - I am working my tool and in return the tool is helping me feel fuller on smaller amounts of food -

I am very happy and feel so much better - I am lucky that I don't have some of the phyical limitations as other here do - so I can exercise - which for me is a BIG key to my sucess.

Read all you can - ask any questions - we are here for you...

Good luck on your journey...