Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

skinny - good luck to you. It would be wonderful to get someone else to pay. I wasn't so lucky. My insurance refuses to pay for WLS, so I paid for the surgery myself. Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver will do the surgery for $10,000, it's a lot, but worth it.

I just read the last page of postings and everyone is talking about the head hunger that leads to crazy eating. Sign me up. I do that. It is like the stomach has a mind of its own (if ya catch my drift) and apprears to be resistant to change. I am still plowing away. Writing what I eat, exercising, acupuncturing, therapizing and fighting the good fight. There are changes - but boy I hope I live long enough -- just kidding.

I am on my way to Seattle to visit my brother's family (three kids 7 and under). Life does go on.

Happy Holidays all my over 50 friends!

Michelle

I just read the last page of postings and everyone is talking about the head hunger that leads to crazy eating. Sign me up. I do that. It is like the stomach has a mind of its own (if ya catch my drift) and apprears to be resistant to change. I am still plowing away. Writing what I eat, exercising, acupuncturing, therapizing and fighting the good fight. There are changes - but boy I hope I live long enough -- just kidding.

I am on my way to Seattle to visit my brother's family (three kids 7 and under). Life does go on.

Happy Holidays all my over 50 friends!

Michelle

Michelle - Merry Christmas to you too..

I got a box of See's candy from a customer today ;)

I went an put it in the lunch room which is another wing of my office building - while there - there was soft frosted sugar Cookies.< /strong>

I JUST SAID NO TO DRUGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Kids under 7 - OMG how long are you there??? I have a 3 yr old grandaughter and after 2 or so hours i am worn out - the noise gets to me...

I know you will enjoy being with your family ...

Have a safe trip and talk to you soon

xoxo

Janet

Phyl - Adobe photodeluxe - I was trying to figure how to type date on each - I could do it in my card maker - but got tired of screwing around with it...

Yep Denise - I am INSPIRED by the weight loss - this is the most weight i have ever lost - well 250 was my highest weight too. the most I have ever lost was about 40 back in the late 80's early 90's and the was with the help of DRUGS... I am so inspired that I got up this morning at 4:15 and went to the gym at 5 cuz I won't be able to go tonite - for me exercise is a must ... ...

Wow, Indigo Girl, you look wonderful. You certainly inspire me. I am finally past my two weeks of liquids..ugh. Getting to eat some real food. My only problem now is I want to eat at night. Its so hard not to. I can't wait to get my first fill. Hope it helps me a lot but its almost 4 weeks away. Take care, Brenda

Wow, Indigo Girl, you look wonderful. You certainly inspire me. I am finally past my two weeks of liquids..ugh. Getting to eat some real food. My only problem now is I want to eat at night. Its so hard not to. I can't wait to get my first fill. Hope it helps me a lot but its almost 4 weeks away. Take care, Brenda

Brenda

Thanks !!! I feel so much better - I am no longer carrying around 55 lbs of potatoes...

You are talking to the QUEEN of nite time eating ;) - I still eat at nite but i budget my calories to allow for it... I normally don't have Snacks during the day - at night I have my sf choc pudding 1 or 2 60 cal each or a healthy choice fudgecicle 80 cal or extra veggies and sometime toast or popcorn or a dannon lite & fit yogurt - I go on the 19th for another fill - only need a tad but it is taking more than 1 cup to be full.. IMHO I don't want to eat only 1/2 cup per meal - I don't think you can get enough calories that way - and I am losing on my 1000- 1200 calories a day - and walking 2 or 3 mile x 4 or 5 days a week..

My suggestion is to budget your calories so that you can have a treat at nite - if you don't you are going to end up over eating. But this is just my humble opinion -

Glad to hear you are over the liquid stage - that is so hard and you had to do it much longer than i did...

Keep us posted on how you are doing...

Janet

I am not "over 50" yet, but I am not far from it - I will be 49 in Jan and not banded yet. Just starting the process.

I will probably be hanging here some once I do get banded because I have a lot of the same issues with the S-L-O-W weight loss. I used to lose it so quickly when I was younger! It gets very discouraging and I will probably be back on this thread looking for some support from those who understand how difficult it gets when your metabolism has slowed down.

It is inspiring to see those over 50 who have succeeded - it gives me hope I can do it too!

I am not "over 50" yet, but I am not far from it - I will be 49 in Jan and not banded yet. Just starting the process.

I will probably be hanging here some once I do get banded because I have a lot of the same issues with the S-L-O-W weight loss. I used to lose it so quickly when I was younger! It gets very discouraging and I will probably be back on this thread looking for some support from those who understand how difficult it gets when your metabolism has slowed down.

It is inspiring to see those over 50 who have succeeded - it gives me hope I can do it too!

Welcom NomoreYoYo... You can hang with us anytime... I am on the over 60 thread at times. heck half my friends are 60+... It's not really all about age - but just our experiences period - we are alot diff than the 20 & 30 yrs olds out there. Also you may be surprised with your weight loss with the band - I was - I thought I had a slow metabolism cuz in May I tried medifast and only lost like 3 lbs the 1st week - gave up - said screw this ... Got banded 5 months ago today and have lost 55.5 lbs - I am eating more calories (1000-1200 healthy foods) than when I was on medifast - but I think the key for me is that I am exercising 4 to 5 days a week - walking 2 to 3 miles daily and maybe 4 on a Saturday... and i may lose 2 lbs one week - then only 1/2 lbs one week and 3 the next - it works as long as you work it by exercising and eating healthy....

Good Luck on your journey - read - read - read and ask questions.

pb is productive burp - (like a throw up in a burp can be that easy or more force full)

Slime - saliva foaming out of your mouth cuz some thing is stuck and your body is trying to produce enought spit to get it to go down.

Green, I can sure relate. I always get depressed in the winter, and it's the worst at during the holiday season.

Exercise does help a lot with that. I was able to get off my anti depressants when I started exercising every day.

Eating at night is problem for me too. It seems to be a problem for everyone. I do have Snacks at night. Usually a sugar free

fudgesicle, but sometimes I keep thinking I want more, more, more! I just try not to keep anything in the house.

I have a new size 12 jeans that are just slightly too tight. I keep picturing those jeans and it's been helping me not eat. I want to get into them! I want to lose more. I am tired of not losing since

Sept. It's time to get going again!

Michelle - Merry Christmas to you too..

I got a box of See's candy from a customer today :)

I went an put it in the lunch room which is another wing of my office building - while there - there was soft frosted sugar Cookies.

I JUST SAID NO TO DRUGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Kids under 7 - OMG how long are you there??? I have a 3 yr old grandaughter and after 2 or so hours i am worn out - the noise gets to me...

I know you will enjoy being with your family ...

Have a safe trip and talk to you soon

xoxo

Janet

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by NM Sunshine viewpost.gif

Skinnydip

I'm wondering how long it will tke once you get that seal of approval? Do you know which surgeon you will go to?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yes, at the CMMC (Central Mississippi Medical Center) there are two Doc's. DR. Kin Cleveland & Dr. Erin Cummins. (Dr. Cummins is a real cute blonde)LOL

Dealing with the Government you need paitents, but what I have heard & checked into personally, between Medicare & my Ins. Co. Federal BC/BS, they will pay for 100% of the cost. At CMMC, Banding cost about $16,200.00 if you pay cash.

Don<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Green

The reflux must be a #@$%^ to deal with. Seems like when I eat something solid, I can only eat a few bites, anymore and it comes back up. Yet I can eat yogurt with no problem. We're going to my daughters for xmas. She's making a big meal. Don't quite know how I will be dealing with it.

Skinnydip

good luck on getting your surgery date.

HEY ALL

Because my band now seems to have a mind of it's own, I decided to name her. I started with Skinny but now think Slim might be a more interesting name.

Green

The reflux must be a #@$%^ to deal with. Seems like when I eat something solid, I can only eat a few bites, anymore and it comes back up. Yet I can eat yogurt with no problem. We're going to my daughters for xmas. She's making a big meal. Don't quite know how I will be dealing with it.

Small, small bites, eat slowly, chew chew chew and drink something warm before you eat ....

INDIO

Thanks for the advice. I never considered drinking something warm before I eat. I will follow your advice...thnaks

And then wash it down with a glass of wine!! LOL... No, I didn't really say that, did I???? :)

Dh says I'm having a bitchy day!! Still not feeling great so I guess I'm a little cranky!

You should tell your DH that the band is not the answer but a tool and you are ready to learn how to face your fears but need help. If used properly the band can help to change the way you think about food.

There are neuro transmitters in our stomach just like there are on our skin as we get bigger we develop more neuro transmitters. What that means in our stomach is as it stretches and gets bigger we develop more transmitters that read HUNGER and it takes more food to feel satiated. With the band if you eat solid Protein first and do not drink during a meal and up to an hour after the neuro transmitters in the small stoma pouch report back to your brain and you have a since of satiation. Mushy food, liquids, and carbs do not stay in the stoma long enough to register and you will feel hunger faster.

Knowing this has helped me so much I just last week had a fill that gave me proper restriction. I can eat anything in small amounts with out any problem. But if I eat protein with no liquid I feel so full for 4 hours I can’t ever think about eating.

Hope this helps

And then wash it down with a glass of wine!! LOL... No, I didn't really say that, did I???? :)

Dh says I'm having a bitchy day!! Still not feeling great so I guess I'm a little cranky!

Hey, thats what I intend on doing....warm wine..........or a hot toddy:heh: