Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

There is a new thread started for those of us over 50. It's on the main page. We really should only have one thread going for those of us over 50.

I agree. This one has been moved to the "Fifties" sub forum but maybe someone can ask a mod to lock it so it is still there for someone who may want to read it but it can't be added to anymore.

Hi everyone, I turned 53 the 20th. I have been banded since 10-10-2007. The weight is slow coming off but when you think about it,isn't it best to lose slow to give yourself time for your skin to adjust?

I know for years I had to fight to lose a single pound a week, I am on cloud nine since the lapband, I am losing weight and KEEPING it off. I started weighing 238, my last fill on 12-31-2007 I weighed 219. I don't weigh at home yet so I don't know if I have lost more or not. Its just that if my scales aren't with the doctors office I don't want to feel let down, also when I weigh at home I do so when I get up and have sleep clothes on.

I eat a kids meal now when we eat out. Lots of time I take half of it home for the next meal. Isn't it great?

I go for my third fill 2-11-08.

Hi,

I'm 54 years old and I'm getting banded in less than 2 weeks. I'm excited and scared, both at the same time.

Regarding your weight loss, do you exercise? If so, how much and how often?

I expect that I'll lose between 1-2lbs. per week. Like you, I don't weigh at home, nor do I have any desire to, until I'm close to my goal weight. In the past, I've sabotaged myself by weighing at home (usually every day or every other day), because I would get discouraged after seeing no or little weight off and then, I'd eat. Hence, I've decided that with the lapband, the scale is not my friend for now. What comes off, comes off and that's that. As long as I'm losing, I don't care. If I'm not hungry all the time and if I don't feel like I'm suffering, I can live with not knowing what I'm losing or how much I weigh on any given day.

Any advice for a newbie like me? I'm all ears!

Regards,

b.

Hi everyone, I turned 53 the 20th. I have been banded since 10-10-2007. The weight is slow coming off but when you think about it,isn't it best to lose slow to give yourself time for your skin to adjust?

I know for years I had to fight to lose a single pound a week, I am on cloud nine since the lapband, I am losing weight and KEEPING it off. I started weighing 238, my last fill on 12-31-2007 I weighed 219. I don't weigh at home yet so I don't know if I have lost more or not. Its just that if my scales aren't with the doctors office I don't want to feel let down, also when I weigh at home I do so when I get up and have sleep clothes on.

I eat a kids meal now when we eat out. Lots of time I take half of it home for the next meal. Isn't it great?

I go for my third fill 2-11-08.

Welcome Arkie- 1955 was a good yr - I will be 53 at the end of the month.

Hi,

I'm 54 years old and I'm getting banded in less than 2 weeks. I'm excited and scared, both at the same time.

Regarding your weight loss, do you exercise? If so, how much and how often?

I expect that I'll lose between 1-2lbs. per week. Like you, I don't weigh at home, nor do I have any desire to, until I'm close to my goal weight. In the past, I've sabotaged myself by weighing at home (usually every day or every other day), because I would get discouraged after seeing no or little weight off and then, I'd eat. Hence, I've decided that with the lapband, the scale is not my friend for now. What comes off, comes off and that's that. As long as I'm losing, I don't care. If I'm not hungry all the time and if I don't feel like I'm suffering, I can live with not knowing what I'm losing or how much I weigh on any given day.

Any advice for a newbie like me? I'm all ears!

Regards,

b.

Bonnie

You are normal about being excited & scared at the same time - I think we all were

I exercise & eat about 1000-1200 calories a day - low fat mostly sugar free I keep a food diary log calories & Protein grms - I follow a weight watcher eating plan - but follow band rules protein first. I weight myself only once a week - for me it's Thrusday mornings - I walk 3 - 16.5 minute miles a day - usually 4 to 5 times a week.

Remembr the band is ony a tool - 75% of the work is up to you - making good food choices and exercising - the band will do the other 25% once you have proper restriction - they are going to band your tummy - not your brain - and the majority of our problems are in our brains and not our stomach.

I love my band - I use to sleep my weekends away - now on Saturday mornings I am at the gym at 7:30 - then out and about - not sleeping - I feel 100% better than I did 6 months ago.

We have a new main thread on the 50's board - I think it say We have an new spot - Post there as that's the thread most of us are on.

Welcome and read read read - ask questions - We are here for you..

I agree with Bonnie...(I think said it) I wouldn't want to lose too fast at this age anyway! Not a real healthy look! I'll be 50 in 2 years but already starting with the menopausal waist gain and boobs! I can't believe they can grow like this!! I am scheduled for LB sugery next month with a 38 BMI hoping to get this hunger under control. Since the past year or so I feel like I am ravenously PMSing all the time with hunger and newly aquired sweet tooth. I am hoping with HR therapy and the lap band I get back to normal or somewhat normal.

thanks all

marg

Also another thing I am going to change is to do away with the evil scale. Those numbers or lack of declining numbers have caused me to go off the best health and fitness plans in frustration. I am going to use my clothes as my measure. If anyone sees me in Bed Bath and Beyond please pull me out!!

thanks all

marg

Bombero here...I am 50 banded on 1/31/08 had lost 22 lbs my first dr. visit...and am down another 4 as of today for a total of 26. Years of beer drinking payed a big part of my weight gain...that is behind me now and am looking forward to a healthier life style and a lot more weight loss...

Bombero here...I am 50 banded on 1/31/08 had lost 22 lbs my first dr. visit...and am down another 4 as of today for a total of 26. Years of beer drinking payed a big part of my weight gain...that is behind me now and am looking forward to a healthier life style and a lot more weight loss...

Bombero - Congrats on your loss - follow the rules - make this a lifetime lifestyle change and you will succeed. I have tried beer since being banded but bloats you too much so if I do have drink - its wine or gin & tonic..

I've been eating regular food for 2 weeks now, haven't had my first fill yet but I have been feeling discouraged because my weight loss has stalled out for the past 2 weeks. Ok I did lose 1 pound but that's all. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this normal?

Glorybee . . . yes . . . I had the same thing happen. It was like almost 3 weeks before there was movement on the scale - but I was losing inches. Just keep on track - it will move again. It's just hard to not see it move! Hang in there!

IndioGirl , I have to ask a question what does 11/20 33 miles mean on your signature? Ktravel (Kathy):thumbup:

My lucky #7 (July 07) banders have their exercise on their signature - we strive for 20 days out of the month - as of yesterday I have execised 11 days so far this month - My exercise is the treadmill - and I have walked 33 miles so far this month.. 11/20 - 33 miles Makes sense now:tongue2:

I agree with Bonnie...(I think said it) I wouldn't want to lose too fast at this age anyway! Not a real healthy look! I'll be 50 in 2 years but already starting with the menopausal waist gain and boobs! I can't believe they can grow like this!! I am scheduled for LB sugery next month with a 38 BMI hoping to get this hunger under control. Since the past year or so I feel like I am ravenously PMSing all the time with hunger and newly aquired sweet tooth. I am hoping with HR therapy and the lap band I get back to normal or somewhat normal.

thanks all

marg

I went through menopause when I was in my very early 40s and began to gain weight. By the time I was 57 I was quite a fatty. This is when I got banded. It was the best thing I could have done for my weight problem. I am slim now. The waist is still kind of thick for my size, though. You are wise to get the band now. I had problems with my skin after my weight loss. My skin suddenly looked old. This was a drag!

I have lost weight really fast. I haven't lost all of my weight yet, I still have a long way to go but I think I look really old now. I had hardly any wrinkles before I started to lose weight, now I am very wrinkly. I have a humungous bottom (bum, derriere, butt, whatever you like to call it) so my mum kindly told me yesterday, and big thighs so I do not think I will ever be thin. It does not bother me though I just want to get healthy.