Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

Got my first fill yesterday. It was so easy. I was scared to death and it went really well. They did use a little needle to numb the area and 20 seconds later she stuck the big needle in and put in 5 ccs. I dont feel any restriction yet but maybe next fill.

AE, I talked with my doc about my theory about this. He said/agreed that when we start eating foods, the initial weight that comes is the weight that is that Water weight we lose really quickly. KWIM? Especially traveling, I have always had to watch for swelling, etc. I was traveling with my sweetie this weekend too.:)

I had to get some information, because I am heading to Florida this week, and don't want to gain. I won't be heartbroken if I don't lose, though.

You sound like you are doing awesome, btw!:)

I'm back down to where I was before I left. I gained a lot of water weight, most of it was totally gone after a week. I am feeling better about it now, but I was totally freaked out! I"m feeling pretty good so I really am trying to get my exercise in daily, it's hard. Have fun on your trip!!!

I was scheduled for December 22, 2009 and I chickened out. I am rescheduled for next Tuesday, February 16, 2010. I want to know how much all you December Bandsters have lost???

I was scheduled for December 22, 2009 and I chickened out. I am rescheduled for next Tuesday, February 16, 2010. I want to know how much all you December Bandsters have lost???

I've lost 30 since Dec. 7th! I'm so happy, I could actually cry lol Don't be scared, it works out so awesome in your favor once you get the procedure done. Way to go on getting it done next week!!! :thumbup: Let us know how you've done! :rolleyes2:

That is Awesome!!! That is what I want to hear! Any problems? I think I read way too much about problems and that is why I chickened out! I had my pre op, pre-admit at the hospital, medical clearance and EGD done yesterday...there is no turning back now. I can't wait! I just find it hard to believe I will ever weigh my goal weight, which is 132! I am SOOOOOOOO Excited!

That is Awesome!!! That is what I want to hear! Any problems? I think I read way too much about problems and that is why I chickened out! I had my pre op, pre-admit at the hospital, medical clearance and EGD done yesterday...there is no turning back now. I can't wait! I just find it hard to believe I will ever weigh my goal weight, which is 132! I am SOOOOOOOO Excited!

Thank you!! :rolleyes2: Yeah, almost made the mistake about reading into the problems, but I spoke to my surgeon and he handled all of my questions with ease! I felt like a weight, no pun intended, had been lifted off of my shoulders when I got the surgery...every day (BEFORE surgery) I constantly obsessed on how to lose weight, but could never do it. So FINALLY after having surgery, this is the best feeling I've had in many years! You'll do AWESOME! I know you will! :thumbup: If you have any questions, feel free to private message me or email me - I don't mind talking about it at all! I'm getting closer and closer to goal weight!! It's such an amazing feeling to know you're gonna get there, right?? :lol:

I have had no problems what so ever with my band. I just had my second fill and I am starting to feel some restriction. I have lost almost 50 pounds since the beginning of December when I started my 2 week pre-op diet.

Good luck!

kimwash71112 , please don't chicken out again for your own sake ... I got banded on Dec 11... and pre-op lost 12 lbs .. and got weighed today .. and so far I've lost a total of 49 lbs since Dec 1 ! Whoo Hoo ! so go for it and stick with a good eating program ( no loads of cheetos and ice cream :rolleyes2: ) and you will not be sorry !

Some of us have lost a lot, some a little. Just remember that after you are banded there is a time period to be aware of that you might even gain weight! :rolleyes2: Before you get any fills, and after the swelling goes down, you are in a time period of not feeling the band at all. This is discouraging and anticlimatic for us banders. But no worries, after several fills you feel the band. I got stuck last night for the first time and boy did I know the band was there!!! Only had two fills so far. I've lost 35 lbs. to date. Best wishes!!!

Hi Everybody,

I have not been on since surgery, I could not find any posts and never got any emails re: posts til today and now I see all kinds of posts!!! So great to see how everyone is doing!!! I had my band on 12/14/09 and as of this AM, I have lost 39 pounds!!! (that includes the 19 lbs I lost post op) I am averaging 2 lbs a week. I only have one cc in my band because I am so sensitive to it...I go in again on the 18th so hopefully I can handle more this time. My doc says that most patients with my type of band have about 3-4cc's as of two weeks ago, but he said that I will not truly get to use the band as the tool that it is supposed to be until probably April or so. That is nice to know considering, albeit slow in my opinion, it is coming off.....I would not regret having this surgery at all, I have not been in the 250's for over 13 years! I feel so much better, my back doesn't hurt as much, I can walk a mile without having to stop and pant, and I can pick up something off of the floor! Take your life back, you will not regret it!!!!!! I WISH YOU GREAT LUCK!!!!!

I too had the confusion of why things get stuck or do not go down smoothly if there is no restriction. My doc explained it like this... the band actually does 2 things. It forces you to eat very small bites and chew them very well, that is a given from the start and that is what causes things to stick if you do not! They deliberately fill the band very slowly so that it gives us the opportunity to re-learn how to eat slowly and not have any slip ups that could be very uncomfortable should we slip up during this process. The second thing it does is what we are all waiting for and that is for the band to get to that fill level (your sweet spot) where it actually presses on a nerve (not the one that goes to your shoulder!) that sends a message to your brain telling it you are full when you really aren't. My doc has been doing research for years to find out what causes that, but it is an unknown phenomenon. That made it all make much more sense to me.

Cannot wait to keep reading all of your posts!

leah

Since my surgery I have lost 38 pounds I lost 10 on my six month diet So my total weight lose is 48lbs.

Everybody is different. Each doctor has different diets. Good luck to you.

Hi,

I was banded on December 17th and as of today, I am down 37 lbs. It's the best decision I could've made and I only wish I had done something sooner. I've only had one fill so far, so most of my loss can be attributed to making smarter choices and Portion Control. There are complications with all of weight loss surgeries. It's about doing what's best for yourself and figuring out what changes you can live with.

Best,

Lauren

I was banded on Dec. 2nd. Since surgery I have lost 35 lbs. I have a 14cc band and have had only 1 fill. I currently have 6cc's....I have no restriction I feel...I have another Dr. appt. on Feb 18th. I am hoping for another fill. I to have had to rely on Portion Control and old fashioned will power to lose what I have lost...But thats ok because it is 35lbs I have not GAINED...I am so glad I stumbled on to this thread....I love it...

Jani

I lost 36 lbs in the 6 months prior to surgery and 13 lbs post-op - slow but sure. Good luck to you - you will be fine. :rolleyes2:

I'm back down to where I was before I left. I gained a lot of Water weight, most of it was totally gone after a week. I am feeling better about it now, but I was totally freaked out! I"m feeling pretty good so I really am trying to get my exercise in daily, it's hard. Have fun on your trip!!!

Had a ball! For a couple of days I was lugging around an extra dozen lbs., though! Then, it was gone, and I had taken a vacation and actually lost a couple of pounds. A record in my life!