Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

You should bring a neck pillow, like the traveling ones? My neck was so greatful I did so it didnt get stiff when resting sitting up.

Yes! Thank you by the way for recommending that! I took my travel pillow and my neck is so grateful to you!!

I do have to say, you really won't get much sleep in the night during your hospital stay. You WILL want to get up and walk around. The pay off is instant.

I was so lucky that several of us bandsters were all in the same wing, like 7 or 8 of us and we all jockey'ed around the nurses' station w/our IV's. LOL I'm sure it was quite a sight to see but trust me, WALK WALK WALK! It will feel so very good.

I had to stay in my lovely hospital gown but they gave me another to cover the backside. I did sneak on undie wear just in case. :thumbup:

Good luck bansters!!! Ya'll are going to do great!!:thumbup:

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have my pillow packed. I'll be wearing some oh so comfortable sleepwear pants (which I wear all the time, as they look like day pants - like them so much bought 4 pair). I was wondering about taking a light robe - I'll pop it in my bag now - the last thing I want is my hiny hanging out!

It sounds as if most of you stayed in hospital over night. I will be able to go home after a few hours, if there are no complications. I'll miss out on the pampering, but I'll be pleased to get home, and will hope dear hubby will do some pampering.

Well I better get to bed, as I'll be up in 4 1/2 hours. I'll post again from the other side - oh that does not sound quite right!!!!

Looks like December bandsters 09 is coming to a close. yay!! we're all almost done!

quick question though, i dont know if its because im paranoid or what but ive grown more and more daring each day and have been feeling my stomach and trying to move gas i guess, and under my biggest incision, i cant seem to feel my port. however in my belly button there is a firm mass which im sure is a part of my band but im just hoping my port didnt magically slip down into there. can anyone else feel their port in the general vicinity of their largest incision??

SOoooooooo... In about 15 minutes I head to the hospital. Provided everything goes smoothly I will come back home later *knock on wood & say a prayer* Hubby has promised to have a piece of cheesecake waiting for me when I wake up. Hahahaha... just making sure everyone's paying attn! My dr makes his pt's drink an entire 4.1 oz bottle of Miralax mixed with Fluid at 5 pm the day before surgery and *ugh* It really did a number on me! I pray I don't have an accident once I'm rendered unconscious and that fluid from the IV hits my tummy! *chuckles* I'm sure I won't be the first right?!?! I can hear hubby in there eating his Breakfast *grrrrrr* At least I can't smell it! Wish me luck! To the other having surgery today - make it all go Godspeed and good luck! :thumbup:)

Start experimenting with creamed Soups or cream of wheat. I have and it really helps. But be careful to count calories. I also tried scrammbled eggs and half of a banana that I really chewed up. It all went down okay and no gas or anything. Just be really careful!!! Watch out for slider foods.

1) What do you mean "slider foods?" 2) I'm not actually supposed to be doing anything but drinking liquids at this point - according to my doctor. That went out the window when the hunger came back on Christmas and I ate about 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes. I haven't been eating anything near normal capacity, and yes, I have been thinking about calories. But I thought that my stomach would have like a 2 ounce limit. Let me tell you, that's a myth in my case - and I wish it were not. Even my Protein shake, which I could never get down more than a few sips since surgery, is going down without a hitch. My stomach has definitely healed.

My appointment is at 2 this afternoon. I know my doctor doesn't do fills until six weeks after surgery, so that won't be a possibility. But I had imagined the hunger would be far less. :thumbup:

vivien, i'll be home tonight, too. I don't go until 11:00, and am nuts right now, though. i'm not good at waiting!

sending good thoughts to the rest of you. be well.

My doctor told me no more ibprofen from 2 weeks before surgery to forever. He said that it can cause ulcers around the band. I haven't done any personal research on this, I just stopped taking it.

I developed a pain between my breast bone. I stopped taking the Volterin (pure ibuprofen) and started on Prilosec. The pain went away almost immediately. But I wonder if I've done damage now. I go to the doc today and will ask. I want to be sure there's no damage. Thanks for the info!!!

1) What do you mean "slider foods?"

Slider foods are foods that go down easy and are high in calories or empty calories. Ice cream would be an example. Just ask yourself if the food your putting in has any nutritional value or does it have any Protein.

2) I'm not actually supposed to be doing anything but drinking liquids at this point - according to my doctor. That went out the window when the hunger came back on Christmas and I ate about 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes.

Mashed potatoes has no nutritional value and is high in calories. If you're going to cheat...cheat the right way at least...have a baked yam instead.

I haven't been eating anything near normal capacity, and yes, I have been thinking about calories. But I thought that my stomach would have like a 2 ounce limit. Let me tell you, that's a myth in my case - and I wish it were not. Even my Protein shake, which I could never get down more than a few sips since surgery, is going down without a hitch. My stomach has definitely healed.

I'm having the same problem but am counting calories, uping my Protein and making sure I drink 64 oz. of fluids a day and the weight is coming off. Some foods I do allow myself are occasionally....scrammbled eggs (delicious), Cream of Wheat with added Protein powder, creamed Soups with added Protein Powder, SF pudding at night (only one), a half of a banana, Greek style yogart with a sprinkle of fresh honey.

Hope this helps!!! Best wishes!!!

Morning all,

Good Luck to all those to be banded. I was banded on Dec. 15th and still on liquids till tomorrow and then can have Cream of wheat and applesauce and yogurt. Has anyone been exercising? I have been doing a little walking.

Have not gotten on the scale yet. I go to the Dr on Monday for a check up. since this week was a holiday week he was not in. So far so good. No cravings. drinking my shakes. and Water.

I am on a high Protein , low carb according to my Dr's instructions. I know different dr's have differenct directions. Anyone want to share?

Before I had my surgery the nurse taking care of me. Said. This is the first day of the rest of your life.

She had Gastric bypass.

Its nice when people can relate.

Ann

OKAY...WHY AM I STARVING? :thumbup: I started out pretty good, following my doc's instructions to a T. I am now 11 days post op and was told to stay on full liquids for 14 days before moving to mushies. Well, I moved to mushies on day 8 because it was Christmas and I wanted food. Now, I can not seem to get satisfied. I try to keep the food mushies but my biggest problem is not eating too much. I keep telling my self that I am at my limit but food is all I seem to think about now. Is this a mind game or what? I am determined to make this work. I have not weighed myself since before surgery..maybe I should so that I can see if I'm making any progress. My doc went out of town for the holidays and my first followup is not until Jan 6th. Hope I make it till then.:thumbup::cursing:

OKAY...WHY AM I STARVING? :thumbup: I started out pretty good, following my doc's instructions to a T. I am now 11 days post op and was told to stay on full liquids for 14 days before moving to mushies. Well, I moved to mushies on day 8 because it was Christmas and I wanted food. Now, I can not seem to get satisfied. I try to keep the food mushies but my biggest problem is not eating too much. I keep telling my self that I am at my limit but food is all I seem to think about now. Is this a mind game or what? I am determined to make this work. I have not weighed myself since before surgery..maybe I should so that I can see if I'm making any progress. My doc went out of town for the holidays and my first followup is not until Jan 6th. Hope I make it till then.:thumbup::cursing:

Dear Great, You need to up your Protein and drink 64 oz. of fluids a day. I, too, have had little restriction since the beginning. I started mushies early on. Some suggestions I have for you are: scarmmbled eggs, Cream of Wheat (add unflavored protein powder while steaming the milk), creamed Soups (again, add protein powder), a half of a banana, a baked yam (bake it a long time), SF pudding, Greek style yogart. These are just some suggestions. Don't eat too much and count your calories. Hope this helps. Best wishes!!!

Morning all,

Good Luck to all those to be banded. I was banded on Dec. 15th and still on liquids till tomorrow and then can have Cream of wheat and applesauce and yogurt. Has anyone been exercising? I have been doing a little walking.

I walk 30 min. every day. Well almost. :thumbup:

Ann

Best Wishes!!!

Yay, I'm not the only starving Bandster! I was banded on 12/14, made it through the liquids and mushies fine. I finally started solids, and I find that I am SO hungry! I have even gained back 2 lbs that I lost, though I wonder if that has anything to do with not eating any "real" food for a few weeks after the surgery. I'm really trying not to eat a lot even though I don't feel any restriction. Why don't they fill your band right away? I'm not having my first fill until 1/23, and I feel like I may gain all my weight back by then! Feeling slightly discouraged with this...

Dear Thinme, I was told that they could not fill you until the fourth week because your stiches might break. I believe we are all in "Bandster Hell". :thumbup::frown::thumbup:

So I saw some other groups that had a spreadsheet going as much as 2 years after surgery to keep in touch and up with everyone's progress.

The link below will take you to the spreadsheet - please fill free to add your handle and what stats you wish to share.

No sign in required

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...KVzhDa0E&hl=en

Good luck everyone!

I'm walking about 90 minutes a day. I got the okay to get back on the treadmill last week.

If you are hungry, up that Protein - Isopure Clear as nasty as the aftertaste is, it fills you up for a long time.

Lastly, document what goes in the mouth - EVERYTHING and if you are having problems call the nutritionist and make an appt to clear things up quickly.

Cheers to 2010!:thumbup: