Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I started my LRD (pre-surgery diet) today, and I am really seeing what is meant by 'head hunger'.

I had my shake this morning at around 8:30am, and I am sitting here staring at this Protein Bar (which is my snack), really having to think about WHY I want to eat it.

I keep flitting between: "I am hungry, I should eat it", and then just drinking some Water and realising that actually my "real" hunger is quite minimal at the moment, but my cravings, my "head hunger" is telling me I NEED to eat that bar.

So far, I haven't, and I will try and stay away from it until I actually am hungry, but it is quite intimidating to realise how strong my cravings actually are.

Does anyone have any advice around cravings and if it gets any easier?

Posted (edited)

One of the therapeutic approaches they use for eating disorders is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. CBT is obviously more complex but one component is replacing an undesired behavior with a new healthy behavior.

This sounds so simple and like it couldn’t possibly work (to me anyways) but believe it or not this helped with my self diagnosed Nightime Eating Disorder. NES is a disorder that is characterized by waking up feeling like you can’t fall back to sleep without eating and eating more than 25% of your calories at night after dinner. I believe this is just a form of head hunger.

My therapist who uses a different approach said that CBT would suggest that when I wake up wanting to eat that I do something like my crochet instead. Well. It hasn’t been easy but this has worked for five nights thus far. Not one snack and I used to have around 4-6 Snacks every night after doing so well with my diet all day.

Basically I have a Protein yogurt before bed so I know I am not actually hungry and when I feel hungry through the night I just tell myself that I am not hungry and that I can get up and crochet instead if I can’t sleep. I haven’t even had to actually crochet many times. Apparently just knowing that there is a replacement option is enough to help me go back to sleep. That or I’m just too lazy But hey whatever works 😂

Anyways, I found it kinda absurd that the solution was that simple to just do something else like I am dealing with a kid but I’m serious. It worked. There are also CBT workbooks for disordered eating (Amazon has several) which probably get more in depth and journaling about what you are feeling at the time to get to the root of why you feel hungry helps for some. But try doing something else as well

Like I said it’s been five nights for me and it’s worked. Each night it has gotten a little easier too. I put a towel through the handles of the fridge in case I forget and I have woken up and walked to the kitchen less and less each night. After the first night I realized that the yogurt was enough to get me through the night and each night after just reinforces that.

My friend said it makes sense to her because It’s like when people quit smoking and everytime they want a cigarette they chew gum instead. I did lollipops but it’s true, that did work for me as well. It’s Still not easy, but it works. If your at work I guess your limited on alternate options but maybe having a glass of tea or taking a short walk (depending on your job). You said you are already drinking your Water but maybe try a whole new behavior. I hope I don’t sound too crazy and you try this. I hope it helps you as well.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Take advantage of this time to train yourself. I stopped soda, caffeine, vaping, and alcohol when I entered the bariatric program and I am so glad I did. I would have died if I waited to stop after I got the surgery LOL! Honestly I drink a lot of Water and chew a lot of gum. If that doesn't work a sugar free popsicle is my go to!

Remember no one is perfect, there are up and downs in this journey and as long as you track, eat what your supposed to with minimal "cheating" you will lose weight. What you put into it will come to fruition! I cannot wait to hear about your journey!

11 minutes ago, AmberFL said:

Take advantage of this time to train yourself. I stopped soda, caffeine, vaping, and alcohol when I entered the bariatric program and I am so glad I did. I would have died if I waited to stop after I got the surgery LOL! Honestly I drink a lot of Water and chew a lot of gum. If that doesn't work a sugar free popsicle is my go to!

Remember no one is perfect, there are up and downs in this journey and as long as you track, eat what your supposed to with minimal "cheating" you will lose weight. What you put into it will come to fruition! I cannot wait to hear about your journey!

Be careful with the gum post surgery. I had a piece when I was almost three years out from sleeve and I swallowed it accidentally. Hadn’t swallowed gum since I was a kid but sure enough I did it. Thankfully it did not cause a blockage but this is a real concern after surgery.

46 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Be careful with the gum post surgery. I had a piece when I was almost three years out from sleeve and I swallowed it accidentally. Hadn’t swallowed gum since I was a kid but sure enough I did it. Thankfully it did not cause a blockage but this is a real concern after surgery.

I have swallowed gum twice accidently! I was so stressed, but thankfully nothing happened. However I have always been a big gum chewer. I quit caffiene, vaping, alcohol and soda. Gum is my only vice LOL

Posted (edited)

Oh I was just full on starving on day one of my pre op diet! hope you're doing OK. It settled around day 4 or 5 when I got into ketosis and after that I could relax a little.

After your surgery is when you really see the difference I think. I was a lucky person whose hunger didn't return for many months but when it did I knew the difference.

I agree with the others - if you can use the time you get to retrain your body to expect wholesome nutritious foods then you should do really well.

I wish you the best of luck. It's a hell of a ride.

Edited by Spinoza
typo

Thank you everyone for you advice! I have been reading through it whilst struggling and it really helped actually.

Yesterday was my 1st day and oh my god, one minute I was fine and the next I was an over-emotional, sensitive mess!

The morning was completely fine, and I didn't feel too bad until about 4pm. Had a massive drama with my evening SlimFast shake - I didn't realise it needed skimmed milk, and by this point I was so done mentally but I still dragged myself to the shop. Got back home. Realised I'd bought semi-skimmed milk, which nearly brought me to tears 😂 My boyfriend had to go to the shop for me in the end 😅

Either way, I am gonna try and not spiral so much mentally today 😂 I had no chewing gum to hand, but I did have a few snacky pickles which are very low calorie!

Thank you all ❤️

18 hours ago, AmberFL said:

Remember no one is perfect, there are up and downs in this journey and as long as you track, eat what your supposed to with minimal "cheating" you will lose weight. What you put into it will come to fruition! I cannot wait to hear about your journey

I am definitely doing the same! No more coke zero and energy drinks or prosecco for me. I am just getting in the mindset that I can't have them again - which is okay!

Thank you so much :) I am definitely going to try my best!

Posted (edited)

Dupe

Edited by Bypass2Freedom