Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my band family!!!

I'm finally banded and am 2 days post op! YEAH!! It really was not bad at all like I thought it would be. As soon as I got to the recovery room I was ready to get up and walk around (but of course they wouldnt let me do anything that quickly ;-) My inscisions are a little sore, but nothing major, and I didnt have any of the shoulder pain that I've ready about. My biggest problem now (sorry if its TMI) is gas in my abdomen that just seems to sit there. Any solutions other than walking (which I've been constantly doing)???

Gas seems to be the biggest problem with lots of us. I got some relief (altho it came back this morning) by using a couple of GasX strips and put a heating pad on my stomach for about an hour. Lifting your arms over your head and stretching as much as you can also helps. The band is empty when you come out of surgery and as it heals, you will find that you can pretty much eat a lot of soft foods such as mashed potatoes, gravy etc. Dont fall to that temptation, as it will also cause more gas. Stick with the liquids and make sure you are getting your Protein and keeping the carbs down. Its also common for your bowels to not move for 4 or 5 days following surgery. Watch your urine too. If it becomes dark, it means you arent getting enough liquids.

Well the last of the Dec bandsters are about to get their turn. I must admit I cheated Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. I had small amounts of turkey, ham, dressing, & potatoes. No sweets! It was sooooo good but made me have a guilty feeling. I gained 2 pounds but fasted most of yesterday and when I weighed today I was down 3 pounds, I guess no harm done. 3 more days to go for me!! Getting excited - can't hardly wait!!

Good luck to the remaining Dec. bandsters. May God bless us and those who have gone before us.

Week 5

Monday, December 28: alicia3138, tracyv12, Bamablondie1, XxMariposaxX, mommaqueen, ugaband, MissyMS, bellyfatgone

Tuesday, December 29:jrene17, Kaitoujeff, alilash, Barb119

Wednesday, December 30: TN_girl21, HapiCat, stampstalker, smitten kitten, ocracoke, brownjl04, building_a_new_temple

Thursday, December 31

From KarynA's list smile.gif If anyone was left off I'm sorry!!

Good luck all

I am getting soooo excited!!!!!!!!!! I'm also so glad that my doctor did not have me do a pre-op diet because with the holidays, I don't know what I would have done. All I have to do is do Clear Liquids the day before. If any of the veteran bandsters are lurking on here, do you have any advice for us that are getting banded this week? I'm going Tuesday to the store to stock up on my clear liquids. I'm also trying to figure out what I am going to do for Protein Shakes during my clear liquid stage. Help?

I am getting soooo excited!!!!!!!!!! I'm also so glad that my doctor did not have me do a pre-op diet because with the holidays, I don't know what I would have done. All I have to do is do clear liquids the day before. If any of the veteran bandsters are lurking on here, do you have any advice for us that are getting banded this week? I'm going Tuesday to the store to stock up on my clear liquids. I'm also trying to figure out what I am going to do for Protein Shakes during my clear liquid stage. Help?

I've been on the 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery, which is the 29th. The best store shakes (personally) are EAS and the strawberry are my favorite. They sell them at Wal-Mart! I also ordered online Chike shakes and they are great! I have Orange & banana flavor so I have some variety. You can get free samples and just pay for shipping! Good luck to you!

Tomorrow is my first post surgery appointment with Dr. Tishler. I feel fantastic. A bit of shoulder pain which comes and goes, but no pain at all anywhere else. The disappointing thing is that on Christmas morning when I woke up, that knot I had in my stomach (which I guess felt like indigestion) was entirely gone and I could drink and experienced real hunger again for the first time in three weeks since beginning the liquid diet. I'm curious if this is how others feel, too. I'm actually NOT grateful to be hungry again. I ended up eating about a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes at Christmas dinner and it went down fine - no problem. It's like my stomach is it's old self again. I'm relieved I have a doctor visit tomorrow so I can complain of my too good health! But honestly, I really was glad that hunger seemed to be over, and am sad that it's BACK. I got right back on liquids today, but again, that 2 ounce limit where I couldn't even think of swallowing another bite is all gone. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

The disappointing thing is that on Christmas morning when I woke up, that knot I had in my stomach (which I guess felt like indigestion) was entirely gone and I could drink and experienced real hunger again for the first time in three weeks since beginning the liquid diet. I'm curious if this is how others feel, too. I'm actually NOT grateful to be hungry again. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I have been like that since the day after surgery. But I have held on to my diet and been good. The weight is coming off slowly. Maybe you can get a fill tomorrow. Hope all goes well for you.

Okay so here I am Day 7 of my journey. Not so bad, but still pretty tired and sluggish. I went out and did some light shopping on Christmas Eve and then enjoyed Christmas Day with family. I cheated a tiny bit ( I knew I would) nothing earth shattering. Im talking a tiny tiny bit (like the size of a small piece of lint) of red velvet cake on Christmas Day. I really don't think I was hungry, just craving, which I think pretty much goes away with a thick Protein Shake.

I am curious to see how I get through an additional week of full liquids. I still have sore tenderness at the port area, my stitches are itchy (I guess healing), still a little gassy, I am belching better but it hurts in the morning. I don't take the pain meds during the day and Tylenol does nothing for me. I took some ibuprofen for a few days and it made me feel like a different person, but I hear it's a no no:sad: So each day I wait to see what I can tolerate then see what my options are.

I am just taking it easy, I have another week off from work :smile: so I will strategize then!

The support here is helpful and encouraging, it helps me understand things.

Maybe a little light cleaning today:glare:?? Maybe

Edited by luvj0nz

I have been like that since the day after surgery. But I have held on to my diet and been good. The weight is coming off slowly. Maybe you can get a fill tomorrow. Hope all goes well for you.

me too, I feel some restriction but I think the hunger is back (I call them cravings) and liquids are going down way too easy!

. I took some ibuprofen for a few days and it made me feel like a different person, but I hear it's a no no:sad:

Why is ibuprofen a no no. I take Volteran and it has iduprofen in it or something like that. My doc said it was okay to take. Just curious.

me too, I feel some restriction but I think the hunger is back (I call them cravings) and liquids are going down way too easy!

Start experimenting with creamed Soups or cream of wheat. I have and it really helps. But be careful to count calories. I also tried scrammbled eggs and half of a banana that I really chewed up. It all went down okay and no gas or anything. Just be really careful!!! Watch out for slider foods.

Why is ibuprofen a no no. I take Volteran and it has iduprofen in it or something like that. My doc said it was okay to take. Just curious.

They did tell me that ibuprofen (advil, motrin) cause's bleeding and it may not be good. Plus I heard that because of the irritation it causes to the stomach, if it sits in the pouch it could cause stomach ulcers. I did hear that the liquid is ok.

This clear liquid diet is HARD! Surgery is tomorrow. woohoo!!! So far I have chapstick and pj's in my duffle....anything else I should bring?

Thank you so much, Ocracoke! I am having surgery tomorrow! I cannot wait to start my journey! I will be thinking about you on December 30th!

Edited by lisaluvsgreys

This clear liquid diet is HARD! Surgery is tomorrow. woohoo!!! So far I have chapstick and pj's in my duffle....anything else I should bring?

HI Bellyfatgone!

I hear you about the clear liquid diet! I am grumpy, weak and just do not feel myself. I have not packed my bag yet. I am not sure if I am going to bring PJs, since they have gowns at the hospital. Good Luck tomorrow! I will be home on Tuesday. They are having me spend the night in the hospital.

Lisa :smile: