Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

Hey everyone, congrats on making it to this far!

I was banded last Friday, November 7th. I started walking the day of surgery and haven't quit because it has really helped with my gas pains. I took tylonel w/ codine the first two days but I haven't taken anything since. I am on clear fluids and Protein shakes until Friday, then I can eat some blended Soups, cream of wheat, etc. The only time I am hungry is in the morning but it probably because I didn't have any Protein in my system throughout the night.

I have lost four lbs. post-op and 10 lbs. on the pre-op diet. I figure right now I am healing so I am not concentrating hard on loosing. But hey if I loose in the mean time then that's a bonus!!

Good luck everyone.

Edited by Tuger

Hey everyone I am back at work today from the surgery on thursday. I was dying last night of hunger pains I ate a little bit of Jello but it didnt help uhhh ;(

Hopefully work will go smooth today, i work a desk job so it will easy

I think nearly everyone in this thread has posted about intense hunger, as early as Day 2 after surgery.

I think it's important to share my story. I'm Day 7 and I am still NOT hungry. I might get a small tinge of hunger here or there, but it passes, which tells me it's not really hunger, just head hunger because I'm bored and would normally eat when I'm bored.

I don't want everyone coming here and seeing that so many people are starving so soon after surgery and getting scared, because that isn't always the case. While I'm definitely in the minority as far as hunger goes, my situation does happen. So there are chances that you'll go up to a week or two without really feeling hunger. Of course, I'm not feeling hungry because I'm still swollen inside. I can't take all that much thick liquids (like creamy soups) before I get ridiculously full, but I drink crystal light throughout the day with no problem.

Anyways, I just wanted everyone out there to know - not everyone is starving two days after surgery. :laugh:

Hi everyone!

Great to see so many Notorious Novembers on the board!

Well, I had my surgery on November 7th. Was in surgery at 8 am, out of surgery by 9:15, out of recovery by 11:30 and home (1 hour drive away) before 1 pm. It was all a blur!

The gas pains were pretty bad until yesterday. Today has been great so far, only a few "twinges". I AM pretty hungry, looking forward to every small meal I can get. My surgeon recommends fluids for 1 week, then 1 week mushies, then 1 week soft, then full foods. Before being banded, I LOVED spicy foods (Indian, Thia etc), so right now, I am kinda dying for something with a lot of robust flavour. I have been shredding some aged cheddar into the Tomato Soup, which is really nice. Looking forward to mushies (pureed mango...yum!).

I haven't figured out the ticker thingies yet...but

Highest: 329 (started pre-op liquids at that time)

Surgery: 304

Current: 302 (closing in on that "2", I can't wait!)

Goal: not totally sure yet...stay tuned!

I love reading everyone's stories and success!

Anne :laugh:

I had my surgery on November 5th. I only had two days worth of pain medication, and have been in pretty bad pain since then, but mostly due to the fact that a stupid woman rammed smack-dab into one of my incisions with her grocery cart on Sunday. The gas has been horrible and doesn't seem to be letting up and I'm actually afraid it's going to get worse when I start incorporating dairy (liquid yogurt) tomorrow. I get to start adding the full liquids over the course of the next week and then keep on those until November 26th when I can start eating real food again. I have to say though, I haven't felt hunger at all. I'm having trouble getting in enough liquid because I just don't want it. Which is good.. yay for not wanting to eat everything insight! But it's bad too, I don't want to basically starve myself.

Anyone else finding that their hair is starting to fall out badly?

I had my surgery on November 5th. I only had two days worth of pain medication, and have been in pretty bad pain since then, but mostly due to the fact that a stupid woman rammed smack-dab into one of my incisions with her grocery cart on Sunday. The gas has been horrible and doesn't seem to be letting up and I'm actually afraid it's going to get worse when I start incorporating dairy (liquid yogurt) tomorrow. I get to start adding the full liquids over the course of the next week and then keep on those until November 26th when I can start eating real food again. I have to say though, I haven't felt hunger at all. I'm having trouble getting in enough liquid because I just don't want it. Which is good.. yay for not wanting to eat everything insight! But it's bad too, I don't want to basically starve myself.

Anyone else finding that their hair is starting to fall out badly?

Stress can cause a bit of hairloss, but it usually doesn't last that long. Typically band patients don't start to lose hair for a few months, when they've lost some weight and haven't had enough Protein in their diets. But I don't see why you'd be losing a lot of hair right now. Sure, surgery is stress to your body, but you should be over that by now. I mean, as far as your body being in shock from surgery, that should all be gone now. Maybe call your doctor?

I had my surgery on the 6th, and let me say I am so happy to be off the meds. I was having crazy dream of food (of all things. I have never had dreams of food LOL). I was on the liquids for 2 day, and now I am on creams. I am so tired of cream of mushroom and chicken I could just scream!

I started off putting my Protein Powder in my Soup, but that was not working. So this morning I decided to make a Protein Shake. I was really excited, and full. LOL! I had some cream of celery soup (I spit out the chunks), cup of yogurt, and I pudding. I have just partaken in my second Protein shake, because I refuse to have any more cream soup tonight. I am doing good about taking my time with my meals and making the stretch out througout the day.

I am also doing good about drinking my Water (cause I am just crystal lighted out). I just want some variety in my Soups.

I am no longer having pain, but the gas has started. LOL! I haven't done to much walking, other around the house and up my parents stairs (they have refused to allow me to go home). Tomorrow will be my first day out and about. Yayyy!

I was banded on Monday Nov. 10th :lol:. So far I am doing "okay" lol. I also had a big hiatal hernia repaired at the same time (which I didn't even know I had) and I think that is causing me more problems then the band itself. It is really hard for me to take a deep breath as it feels like my diaphragm is too tight (he stitched the hole closed after he pulled the tummy back where it goes) I have also been very gasssssy and it hurts like crazy to burp LOL. When I feel a burp coming I have to hold onto the wall and the burp comes out and then a wave of pain kinda goes over my tummy/chest area. :lol:

I have had noooooooo cravings for food yet and I have a hard time just drinking Water. I feel kinda nauseous still. I also am still having the shoulder pain even though I am moving around like crazy and out shopping etc. It bothers me mainly at night and I get that icky achy feeling in my left shoulder. But, all in all I am glad I did this and these feelings I know will be short lived! :thumbup: Ohhh and my big incision on my left side where the port is .. is really tender still and swollen more then the others. No redness or anything so thats good. Just very tender. I am just happy that I have the nausea because the way my tummy keeps complaining about being empty (rumblings in the tumblings) It would drive me insane otherwise!!!! LOL

Hey! This is my first post! I was banded on Tues 11/04/08 in Mexico. It has been a great experience except for the occassional left shoulder pain. I am on full liquids now and not really hungry until the evening time. I started at 305 and I am at 277 this morning. One thing I have noticed is the band feels really "tight" when I get cold, if I put a heating pad on my chest/abdomen for a few minutes it relieves the pain/pressure. I am looking forward to soft foods in about a week....I am craving a scrambled egg!!!

Hi Fellow november bandsters! I was banded this on Monday (11/10). I am still pretty sore and from what I hear from ya'll bloated. Today at least I am able to get more Water in me. I had to stay overnight at the hospital Monday with IV's because they didn't know I was supposed to start on liquids soon after my surgery - and was I ever thirsty. Then on an empty stomach the pain meds made me nauseous. Much better now but it is hard getting from a lying position to upright. I do feel much better today though and now need to push myself to walk more. I understand that helps alot with the "gassy" feeling. I don't have any shoulder pain though. By the way - how do you all do those neat "tracking things" at the bottom of your messages showing goals and how much weight you have lost so far?

Banded 1/7... so I get to go in for post op visit tomorrow..

On Clear Liquids til then... Things have gone great except..any one else having "loose poop" issues.. Can't wait to give my bowels a little more solids to work with...Hopefully things will bulk up a bit before I go to work on Monday.

So far...down about 20lbs since start of pre-op...YEAH!!

Am I the only one that dosent get full with the Water? I have no restriction but I still only take a few sips , I think i am getting worried bcz everyone on here is getting so full so fast !

I was banded 11/10 so far doing good. Minimal gas pain but I do have pain in shoulder. Left side is also sore. I have managed liquids and pudding. Hoping to feel even better tommorrow:tongue2:

I was banded Nov 4th and have lost 9.5lbs since then (How much has everyone else lost since there surgery). I would like to know how I am doing. I am still a little sore, but have never taken the pain meds. The thing that actually hurts the worst is my back. I think because of the hospital bed and everything and I already have a bad back. :thumbup:I am able to have liquids and mushy in about a week, Yeah. I have made some really good Soups and I eat the runny part and the family eats the chunky, it has worked out great.