Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

I am home and was banded on Tuesday. I pooped for the first time today and it was bright green. anyone else experience that?

Are you all on pain meds? I was supposed to get tylenol with codiene but apparently I have the wrong perscription card so I would have to pay full price. And the place is closed dueto the holiday. SO I am doing this without any meds and I am feeling the pain.

Not able to eat or drink much. I guess I could drink more than a few sips but at the hospital I had half a cup of crystal light in 2 hours and felt major sickness. The nurse said I drank way to much. so I am really scared about drinking more than a sip.

I would love to hear your stories, I feel like a complete mess.

Relax......poop sounds right and the drugs plus whatever blood is in your digestive track will color your stool. You should have gotten the pain meds at any cost, but you won't need them after next week.

I think your Dr's office should have been a little more specific with fluids and time periods to consume them. My Dr. sent me home with 1 ounce medicine cups and had me measure my intake (supposedly for three weeks, that gets old quick!) and I needed to for the first week for sure. The instructions were 2 oz Protein Drink, 1 oz broth, 1 ounce Water, 1 ounce watered down juice and do this at 15 minute intervals (no more than 5-8 ounces an hour.....only every 15 minutes!!!!!).

That really helped me get through the first 2 weeks. I forgot one morning in a daze, drank half a cup quickly and found out that it didn't hurt or anything, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel and the tunnel is short.

Good Luck!:)

thanks,

I think I have a medicine cup somewhere I can use to measure.

What about Jello and popsicles? Do those count as liquids?

If it goes in your mouth, it counts, as I was told. Water to swallow pills counts.....your stomach is real small now and swollen inside so the volume is real small!

Be careful on the Jello also, it doesn't melt down in that pouch like a Fluid, it takes a little time. You'll get the hang of it.

Be well

This is my very first time on lap band talk and I am very excited to be here! I had my surgery last night and am doing great!! Still a little sore in the stomach area, but other than that, I am feeling pretty good. No gas pains thank goodness. Anybody else banded 12-23-09?

I am home and was banded on Tuesday. I pooped for the first time today and it was bright green. anyone else experience that?

Are you all on pain meds? I was supposed to get tylenol with codiene but apparently I have the wrong perscription card so I would have to pay full price. And the place is closed dueto the holiday. SO I am doing this without any meds and I am feeling the pain.

Not able to eat or drink much. I guess I could drink more than a few sips but at the hospital I had half a cup of crystal light in 2 hours and felt major sickness. The nurse said I drank way to much. so I am really scared about drinking more than a sip.

I would love to hear your stories, I feel like a complete mess.

I, too, am having pooper problems. No worries. My surgery was on the 16th and I have yet to "regulate" myself. Also, try sipping tea instead of cold stuff. I was so nauseated they had to remove the Fluid from my band and now I have little restriction. Use adult strength liquid Tylenol for the pain. Best wishes to you and Merry Christmas to all!!!

This is my very first time on Lap Band Talk and I am very excited to be here! I had my surgery last night and am doing great!! Still a little sore in the stomach area, but other than that, I am feeling pretty good. No gas pains thank goodness. Anybody else banded 12-23-09?

Welcome to Bandland!!! Congrats on starting your new life!:):thumbup::)

I'm Fricken Freaking out! I was banded 12/4, lost 11 pounds in two weeks, and now I feel no restriction! I went to my 2 week follow-up, and my doc said not to worry, and that when my band is filled on 1/17 I will feel a difference. I'm still freaking out! I can eat! The only issue is that I get the hiccups everytime I eat. I don't want to GAIN weight! Help! I feel like I could still eat. I don't feel like eating bad, in fact all I crave is chicken. But I did this so I could feel in control, and now I'm not so sure. Am I crazy?:)

Juke,

You are not crazy. Less than 2 weeks post op, I felt NO restriction and could drink for hours on end. It's how you heal, not a failure in the surgery. I promise you will feel better when you get your first fill and "realize" that the band does work. I was banded 12/3....so I really feel your issue now!

I am in your shoes right now and work hard to slow myself down eating. I have lost a few pounds from just dieting on my own, per my dietician's advice (clear liquids and Protein drinks only for 3 weeks! Boy, that is real hard!!!!) Try your best to follow Dr's and dieticians advice b4 the fill. It WILL make a difference!

Keep on the path, you will make it!

Anthony :):thumbup::w00t:

weight.png

I feel the same as you and Juke. I am 10 days out and feel no real restriction. I just try and eat slow and only 1/3 to 1/2 cup. Ive found, like you, that drinking doesnt bother me. Ive ate chili I made with cheese and have had no problem. I try and keep an eye on the calories until I can get my first fill. I do feel full if I eat slow, but I still could eat about twice what Im eating at any one time! :lol:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my band family!!!

Anyone else having problem taking in the Protein drinks? I can drink Water just fine, but when I drink Protein shakes, shots, powder...anything else, I feel sick and very gassy! I was banded Tuesday, and yesterday, I was actaully able to keep track of my Fluid intake and I only got in about 45 oz of Fluid and 43g of Protein, half of what they are wanting me to do a day.

I bought these protien shots that have 42g of protien in a 3.4oz tube, but it has taken me a whole hour just to get 1 oz down! Been trying to sip Water in between but I just feel so friggin bloated that I can't!

Any suggestions???

Eight days post op and I'm in the mushy/solid food stage already. I no longer have any problems drinking, in fact, can lightly chug (I don't allow myself to do a full chug). Last night for dinner I made some really soft chicken breasts and ate maybe 2-3 ounces, I actually had to stop eating because we had to get ready to go to Christmas Eve services at church.

Afterwards, we went to my DH's aunt's for her birthday party. I did allow myself a few goodies, but not a lot. I had two or three bites of sponge cake, but it didn't taste very good. In the past, I would have eaten the rest of it regardless. I did have a soft brownie, a pizelle, and a few crackers with cheese spread.

Are/Were any of you ladies on liquid anti-biotics after your surgery? I was for seven days and it gave me a yeast infection, so I'm going to eat some yogurt and hope it clears it up. If not, then tomorrow I'll go pick up some Monistat.

Merry Christmas!!!

Merry Christmas Band Family,

Well, I am 8 days post op now and feeling pretty good. I am still on the full liquid phase but I did cheat today. I had some soft dressing, brocollie casserole and corn pudding. I only had about 1 tablespoon of each but it was oh soooo good. I was not really full but I kept telling myself that I was at my limit. My family went to the movies and I ate about 2 handfulls of popcorn...my weakness. I just sucked on each piece until it got soft and then chewed the rest until it dissappeared in my mouth. I don't think that I did any harm. I chose the band so that I could be in control, not in bondage and I don't want to feel in bondage to food. I am supposed to remain on full liquids for another week, but I believe that I will begin to incorporate some very mushies in between as I am starting to have an increase in my appetite. I am determined to make this band work regardless of how long it takes. No longer will food control me!

I was banded on 12/21, so I am 5 days out. My incisions are fine and I haven't taken any pain meds since the day after, but no pain. Yet, I'm miserable most of the time so far. I'm freaking hungry (probably head hunger) and full liquids are not satisfying. I get "full" but the hunger doesn't go away. I think I want to CHEW something.... I'm not getting as much liquid or Protein as I'm supposed to, but it just seems like I can't get enough down..... I don't want to be a bummer to my family at Christmas, but sometimes I just want to cry. Probably doesn't help that I can't get my depression meds down. I dread taking any of my meds because they taste disgusting and half the time I throw them up (and get to taste them again)! ... Oh, and my breath is GROSS tasting and smelling. My mom asked me if I farted yesterday, but it was my breath. And I'm burping all the time..... I knew it was going to be hard, but I didn't know it was going to be this hard, this fast.... Okay, I'm sorry for this tirade, but I needed to complain to somebody who might be able to understand. Anybody else go through thiS? How long did it last? I'm supposed to be on full liquids for another 8 days, then purees and mushies for two more weeks. How am I going to make it through this?

hey all! just checking in-so here's my update:

went in for surgery on the 21st, found out i had a haital hernia they were also repairing (surprise!). woke up after surgery on a freaking ventilator! (turns out the anesthesiologist thought-MISTAKENLY-that i had sleep apnea and was being overly cautious. NOT COOL, lemme tell you!) turns out the hernia repair was bigger than the doctor was expecting, so i'm having a lot of pain from that. spent a little over a day and a half in the hospital-thank god for morphine, since the pain pump i was allegedly promised never materialized (they changed the rule to only give pain pumps to gastric bypasses and not bands just recently, and i wasn't told of it. boo.) got home a couple days ago, and honestly, today is the first day that i don't feel miserable. i ended up throwing up the day i got home, due to nausea from the pain meds they sent me home on, so i was in a lot a lot of pain, but scared to take anything for fear i'd throw it up again, and risk a slip. but thankfully, i got through it just fine, and today the biggest pain i'm having is muscle pain. gas pain is pretty much gone and the incisions aren't hurting too bad now.

so that's my update. hope everyone else is doing well and on the fast road to recovery! have a merry christmas everyone!

I was banded on 12/21, so I am 5 days out. My incisions are fine and I haven't taken any pain meds since the day after, but no pain. Yet, I'm miserable most of the time so far. I'm freaking hungry (probably head hunger) and full liquids are not satisfying. I get "full" but the hunger doesn't go away. I think I want to CHEW something.... I'm not getting as much liquid or Protein as I'm supposed to, but it just seems like I can't get enough down..... I don't want to be a bummer to my family at Christmas, but sometimes I just want to cry. Probably doesn't help that I can't get my depression meds down. I dread taking any of my meds because they taste disgusting and half the time I throw them up (and get to taste them again)! ... Oh, and my breath is GROSS tasting and smelling. My mom asked me if I farted yesterday, but it was my breath. And I'm burping all the time..... I knew it was going to be hard, but I didn't know it was going to be this hard, this fast.... Okay, I'm sorry for this tirade, but I needed to complain to somebody who might be able to understand. Anybody else go through thiS? How long did it last? I'm supposed to be on full liquids for another 8 days, then purees and mushies for two more weeks. How am I going to make it through this?

I can totally relate. I was banded on 12/15. Today I did cry. I just wanted a taste of turkey but my DH wouldn't let me. You're not alone.

- Val