Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

I cheated but then my surgery was cancelled anyway as there were cancer patients that required surgery - I was a backup and if they didnt have beds I would have got surgery and when they took me in to get changed and stuff I almost crapped myself because I had cheated - Thankfully they didn't do the surgery but it was then rescheduled for another 2 weeks after which meant I had to stay on the preop - which I didn't I ate as soon as I left the hospital and then the next day but went straight back on the shakes. Didn't cheat at all and then I rang the hospital to see what time I needed to be there the next time and I wasn't even on the list - So I ate dinner that night which I think I had every right to lol. Now my surgery is scheduled for the 12th (next tuesday) and they rang me on the 1st so I didn't start the diet until the 3rd, I've definitely cheated, I had a piece of bread with ham and cheese and then a cracker with vegemite and cheese and also an egg, I don't feel guilty at all because doctors are to blame for the cancellations and my weight gain and they've even admitted that. My surgeon's nurse also rang and basically I'll be having surgery on the 12th no matter what (thank god.) I know it's hard for people to keep on track but I don't see how doctors can expect you to be perfect when the shakes/preop diet they assign you is dishgusting, I've heard of a woman whose preop she could have fish and salad with dressing - I'm not allowed that but if I was it would have been way easier to stay on track

My doctor said I don't need to do the pre-op diet, but I am trying to do one anyways to make sure my liver is good and to challenge myself. I kinda wish he had told me I had to...it make it easier than trying to stick to one I am making up. I am scheduled for May 18th.

Pangaeus - My MD required a 2-week pre-op liquid diet. I'll share it with you in case you would like to follow one provided by an MD vs. your own 'made up' diet. You should be proud of your dedication to succeed! Here it is:

Full liquids (1000 calories & minimum 70grams Protein daily) including:

Skim Milk, Low-Fat Low-Sodium Cream Soup, Any fruit juice without Pulp, Any Vegetable juice, sugar-free pudding, Sugar-Free Jello, 'Lite' Non-Fat Yogurt, No Sugar Added Fudgesicles, Protein Supplement (recommended: 11oz can World Wide Pure Protein - 170cal 35gms protein, found at Trader Joe's - 2 daily - Or any Protein Powder equal to 70grams protein daily)

Liquids that can be consumed in any amounts:

Water, Crystal Light, Diet Snapple, Tea, coffee (preferably decaf), Sugar-free Jello, Sugar-free Popsicle, Low Sodium broth

I've been on this diet faithfully for 4 days and have lost 7lbs. Good luck!

I'm not banded yet, so this may sound out of line to those of you who are, but I have a question. If you can't make it through the pre-op diet without cheating, how do you think you are going to follow the post-op diet without cheating? My surgeon has a pre-op diet, and I plan to follow it to the letter.

Joan

Hey Joan -

Glad to hear you are going to stick to the letter your Pre-Op diet!!! It takes will power and being able to do the pre-op will help you with the post-op and the future.

I now several people that are post-op lapband and they did NOT have the will power to stick to the pre-op as much as it sounds like you will and they are doing great post-op.

The band is a TOOL that many people need to be successful. Will power and sticking to a diet has failed for so many - which makes the band a perfect option!

Good Luck with your jouney, sounds like you will do very well!!!

I started the liquid shake, Soup and Jello diet and did not cheat for 5 days then I read more about shrinking the liver.

What I was doing doing was not shrinking my liver to its best potential since milk and most Soups have a ton of carbs! I think most doctors want to get you in the "LIQUID MIND ZONE" which is great but it doesnt shrink your liver if your not careful. Now I am dropping the pds!

READ READ READ labels!!! SO I started researching other ways to shrink the liver in conjunction with low carb high Protein shakes....see link: Pre Surgery Diet

Wonderful info..however I also readthat 24-30 hrs prior to surgery try to go clear as much as you can to help empty the intestines and stomach.

So mixing up my diet is dropping the pounds!! 1/2 c of egg beaters w/ 2 tsp of cheese, 1/4c tuna with 1 tsp light mayo/dill w 1 cheese slice or stick, 1/2c low fat cottage cheese, 5 slices of lean lunch meat(turkey, ham) has really kicked the diet up!! Unjury makes a great chicken flavored soup too!

I am getting banded on the 20th!!! I am excited and ready to tackle the post-op now!! If you think about it in phases its much easier. Phase 1 - shrink that liver, eat low carb, low fat, low sugar and high Proteins - this is for you during surgery!!! Phase 2 - eating for a new life!!!

Hey Joan -

Glad to hear you are going to stick to the letter your Pre-Op diet!!! It takes will power and being able to do the pre-op will help you with the post-op and the future.

I now several people that are post-op lapband and they did NOT have the will power to stick to the pre-op as much as it sounds like you will and they are doing great post-op.

The band is a TOOL that many people need to be successful. Will power and sticking to a diet has failed for so many - which makes the band a perfect option!

Good Luck with your jouney, sounds like you will do very well!!!

Well, it's easy for me to say now that I am going to follow the diet to the letter, but I'm not in the situation yet. I don't think my dr has an all liquid pre-op diet. I think he lets you eat basically like the Atkins diet. So, I won't know until I get there. All I can say is I'm going to try. I think all of us are trying to follow dr's orders. I'm sure I will have just as many problems as everyone else on this board has. In a few months when I'm the 1 having a hard time, then you guys can laugh at me and tell me I told you so. LOL

Joan

I was reading your response about cheating during your liquid diet and I too have cheated pretty bad. I still have 9 days to go of my two weeks so I figure if I do well for the next 9 days, it will be ok. Did your surgery still go as planned?

Yes, I cheated but my cheating consisted of...I'm allowed Tomato or cream Soup, a cup. So my cheating was extra soup. Making my own Protein Shakes I added a banana or a strawberry or two, but that was still in the Protein Shake. So all in all, feeling okay on day 8 of two-weeks. But my last 2-3 days I am going to avoid my soup as much as possible because of sodium and stick with just Protein shake, SF Jello, and Water.< /p>

Good luck to all.

Trisha

I stuck with my preop mostly. I had to be on it for 2 1/2 weeks. Once about a week in I had one "last meal" at my fav restaurant. Other than that I was very strict. Lost 15lbs on it. I'm 1 1/2 week out and have been following my post op diet because I'm paranoid not too. I start mushies on Sunday and I couldn't be more excited!

DAY 2!! THE 1ST DAY NOT SO HARD TODAY OH MY GOSH I CHEATED I WAS SO HUNGERY ALL DAY. I ALSO FEEL PMS COMING ON. IT SUCKS THOUGH, BECAUSE I WENT FROM CALORIES OF 2000/2400 TO 1200 IF THAT, OUCH BODY NOT USE TO IT. MY SURGERY IS THE 8TH NERVOUS AND EXCITED AT THE SAME TIME. THIS DIET IS 3 PROTIEN shakes WITH ONE MEAL AND LOW CALORIE fruit VEGGY Snacks. I REALLY GOT TAKE THIS DAY BY DAY AND SOMETIMES HOUR BY HOUR AND STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN. THE BAD THING IS I DON'T FEEL LIKE I HAVE THE ENGERY TO GO TO THE GYM AND DO MY NORMAL WORKOUT. PRAYER IS GOING TO GET MY THROUGH THIS. :crying:

DAY 2!! THE 1ST DAY NOT SO HARD TODAY OH MY GOSH I CHEATED I WAS SO HUNGERY ALL DAY. I ALSO FEEL PMS COMING ON. IT SUCKS THOUGH, BECAUSE I WENT FROM CALORIES OF 2000/2400 TO 1200 IF THAT, OUCH BODY NOT USE TO IT. MY SURGERY IS THE 8TH NERVOUS AND EXCITED AT THE SAME TIME. THIS DIET IS 3 PROTIEN shakes WITH ONE MEAL AND LOW CALORIE fruit VEGGY Snacks. I REALLY GOT TAKE THIS DAY BY DAY AND SOMETIMES HOUR BY HOUR AND STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN. THE BAD THING IS I DON'T FEEL LIKE I HAVE THE ENGERY TO GO TO THE GYM AND DO MY NORMAL WORKOUT. PRAYER IS GOING TO GET MY THROUGH THIS. :crying:

Keep the faith -- the first 3 days were the hardest for me. Keep a bottle within reach -- whether it is Water, crystal light, anything that is NO sugar and NO calories.

The fluids did NOT take away my hunger - but it gave me something to do (instead of going to the kitchen!!:thumbup:)

This is hard - but you can do it!

I'm on day 10 of two-week pre-op. Day 7 was my cheat day and I just had to get it out of my system. What was strange was that it wasn't out of hunger. It was a psychological thing. Surprising enough I haven't really been all that hungry, but I get two items extra a day which can be Soup or yogurt. So that has helped.

Good luck to all. Now it's not a problem for me because I'm running on adrenaline with surgery on Monday.

Trisha

I'm on the last day of it.

My surgeon wanted a 2 week liquid plan. I had an issue in that I had a business trip in that first week. I didn't over-indulge by any chance, but I did eat some in that first week.

I really started the plan 1 week before. For the first 4 days, I added about 3-4 ounces of Protein around 5PM. I was just struggling too much. Still, a 4 ounce serving of protein is pretty darn little for a full day.

These last 3 days, I've followed it perfectly - not a bite. No calorie liquids only.

I've dropped almost 15 pounds in this week. But I feel sick, weak, tire, cold, and I have headaches. I can make it through, and I'm sure my liver is shopping in the Juniors department by now, but I can't imagine that this is good for my body at all. It's really pushing it.

The liquids only meant Protein Drinks for me...........No CALORIES for 3 days ........ wow!!