Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

My plan has me at at least 60 grams of Protein a day. The more the better and lots and lots of fluids. I'm not so concerned about dropping so much weight before. I have to do two weeks after. So I'm taking in everything that I'm allowed. I can have as much SF Jello as I want and SF pops, which helps. So I'm still putting in about 800-1000 calories a day. My yogurt is Chobani (a greek yogurt and has 17 grams of protein). Plus I make one of my shakes a day with cottage cheese, milk, splenda and fruit (22 grams) in the blender.

I would really be careful on getting yourself too weak and tired. It really sounds like you're not getting enough protein and fluids.

You don't have to push yourself that hard. You've got plenty of time to lose the weight. If you go into surgery not feeling well, i have to imagine you're not going to feel well after.

I truly believe they say two weeks of liquid because they know you're not going to adhere to it every day. So if they get it most of the time, then it's all good.

Good luck

Trisha

My doc is I think trying to jump start the weight lose because he told me to start the diet on the 26th but my surgery is the 8th and the paper work says start the 7or 10 days before the surgery. What ever! Doctors! I work with them and surgeons, not my favorite. I have cheated again. Ouch but still lost 3lbs on the scale, more then likely Water weight. I don't like those shake I only had one yesterday then at one meal out. It was my 14years birthday. She went with me to the preop appointment the drive I have to drive to see my doc and have this done is 1hr to 11/2hrs with traffic. I am leaving this morning to the mountains to my girls gymnastic meet then spending the night and we are going fishing the next day as a family. Diet can be on issue when you are traveling and busy. I am bring those shakes lots water and Protein Snacks. On my preop check list I saw the chest xray. Oh by the way I work in a hospital already and in the nursing program seen surgeries done, just not this one I am having. Anyways, I was just caught running into someone I know and they never had me do a chest xray. Did anyone else get a xray? I did get the blood work and the ekg, if they really want one they can get the day of. I hate being a patient I like being the nurse or CNA so that is my fear in it all.:)

Someone describe the pre-op diet to me. I am not getting banded until Sept and I am curious what the diet entails and how long did you have to be on it.

Someone describe the pre-op diet to me. I am not getting banded until Sept and I am curious what the diet entails and how long did you have to be on it.

you will find that no two diets are the same, no two surgeries are the same

absolutely nothing is the same from surgical practice to surgical practice.

I had Protein Drink for Breakfast & lunch and a small salad with some Protein for dinner, usually chicken or fish

Well, it's exactly the same answer I replied in your other thread - it varies, widely, between surgeons. No one here could tell you what YOUR surgeon will prescribe.

I tried to give a sampling of the more common ones I've seen (all liquid, low-carb, calorie control, Clear Liquids, etc.)

The instructions, what you can eat and how long, will vary - check with your surgeon.

Hello! I'm on day 6 of my 11 day pre-op diet. I kind of did things a bit backwards by scheduling my surgery date and then going in for my EKG, psych eval, nutrition consult, etc. Because of my timeline, I didn't have a full 14 days to do my pre-op diet. I am being banded on June 8. At my surgery consult, I told the nurse that I didn't have a full 2 weeks for my diet and she told me that it wouldn't be a problem b/c I'm "pear-shaped." This means that I do not carry most of my excess weight around my liver, but rather through my butt, hips, and lower belly.

My pre-op diet is a combination of Medifast and Healthwise products. With the Medifast, I also get to eat 1 meal that is "lean + green" (6oz of lean Protein and 3 servings of a green veggie). I thought I would try to eat only the products, but I felt so crappy yesterday that I had a baked chicken breast and some sliced cucumbers w/ white vinegar and black pepper (yummy). I feel much better today.

I also noticed yesterday that I had an awful taste in my mouth and was constantly thirsty. (TMI) My urine was also very strong smelling. I asked the nutritionist at my surgeon's office about these symptoms and she said that I was probably in ketosis. This happens when you are burning up your fat storage. :frown:

This pre op diet sucks i started ok but with my very so crazy busy life i haven't done so well. Not worried about liver or anything with surgery I had my gall bladder out in 2000 and was heavier just having a child, and had no issues. I still get nervous about the days after surgery, I get those fears it wont help me or something. I had such a reality check over the weekend when my kids took a picture of my from behind. That is where my fat is most, legs and butt. I realized I don't see my self as fat and I am. I am glad I am making this choice to a healthier life. I know there is the 140lb girl in me, that is how I think of my self. I am just not there yet. I am excited and nervous and praying for a phycial mental change this band can help bring about in my life. :wub:

I am having surgery in the morning,did anyone have a last meal?:wub:

I am having surgery in the morning,did anyone have a last meal?:confused:

I didn't have it the night before surgery!!

I had Camarones Al Mojo De Ajo (shrimp with garlic) But I had it before I started my preop diet.

I had some potato chips. But my daughter who was banded last year and her best friend who had bypass the year before both went out the day before surgery and had a last meal,mexican food. I had a few potato chips but really wanted to stick with it as much as possible. My only slips before surgery was I had a few small plain salads with diet dressing and maybe a little extra Soup.

Day 3 post-op and liquid diet is just fine.

Trisha

Today is Sunday, June 7th. and it starts my two days of liquids for my June 9th. banding! Whenever I feel like cheating I get on this web site and read, and read, and read!! Belonging here has helped me more then I can say! THANKS TO ALL!!

As far as cheating?? For the last week I just needed to continue with the max of 30 carbs and then these two days of clear liquid. I did have about 11 Frosted Mini Wheats maybe two of the days last week. No milk....I just needed that bit of sweet and crunch!

As for today and tomorrow? I am determined to stick to this. I keep telling myself, "You have come to far to screw it up now"! My husband is very supportive and that helps alot.

I plan on spending today and tomorrow between my craft room and bedroom where there is NO food!!

Good luck to all those waiting for their banding and congrats to those already there!!