Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

I am half way through my two week Optifast diet. I must say it is brutal. Not from hunger pains so much, but from the "side effects". I have not yet cheated... I did try to have a Dora the Explorer ice pop yesterday and my wife somehow overpowered me and took it away and said I could not have it because it had sugar. She's such a dictator. But I am glad she stopped me. I do not plan to cheat, I really want this surgery to go well.

it is amazing how there are so many different pre-surgery instructions! I am on a two day liquid diet with no restrictions on how much I can have as long as it is only what is one the list. chicken broth (which I am sick of right now), sugar free jell-o, Crystal Light, Water, tea, coffee and sugar free popcycles. I did really well yesterday but must admit at 5:38pm I am struggling.

I will be so glad when surgery is over tomorrow. Then it is back to 3 more days of the same liquid diet. Then on day 3 I add Protein and some other stuff. Hang in there and YEA to the wife. She sounds like my husband!!!

Two days? I think I would have to go to bed and not get back up until surgery time!

I am still on my preop diet and I have cheated once so far with salmon. My fiancee had just taken the LSAT (law school admission test) and he wanted to go for steak. So I had salmon. My surgery got postponed (it was supposed to be June 11th, now it is June 18th), so when I have my surgery I will have actually been on the diet for 3 weeks so I figured that it would be okay that one time. Hopefully I was right.

Today is my frist day on this preop diet..I am a little freaked out but doing fine so far. I can have two slimfast drinks and one very small meal a day. I don't plan to cheat or even feel like I have to cheat. This surgery means to much to me to throw it away to eat something that don't help me get to my goals. This is a lifestyle change not a magic band..lol:lol:

I am also on slim fast for preop. Which are you using? Right now I'm using Slimfast Optima, but in re-examing the label, I found that there are a lot of carbs in it. I may switch to Slim fast low carb. What are you using?

The EAS is very low carb and good in Protein. They have it in the shakes and in powder. I was able to get the shakes at Wal-Mart but found the powder at BJ's. I only paid about $27.00 for a huge bag there. At GNC they run about 60 bucks for that size bag!!

I had about 2 ounces of tuna mixed into my salad last week. I know it's a little fatty, but it's almost all Protein and no carbs, so I figured it would be okay.

Otherwise, I've been pretty faithful. I've been tracking my carbs and Proteins on Sparkpeople.com and I've been waaaay under on the carbs and pretty high in the Proteins, and very low in fat, so I think I'm going to be okay.

My only concern is that the carbs are ranging around 70 to 90 a day -- the one day I had a Carnation Instant Breakfast they shot up to 150 grams, so I didn't use that anymore. Stuck to the Atkin's Advantage Low Carb shakes ever since.

But to be honest, I really have NO idea what the "safe" range is to shrink the liver adequately. I've hear 30 grams, but that is nearly impossible if I stick to my doctor's nutritionist's prescribed diet! So I guess I'll find out on Weds!

Yep, 30 grams is the max per day as far as my doctor was concerned to effectively shrink the liver. You can do the 30 carbs it is just really, really, hard!! It was for me anyway. tuna is fine the best for you is in Water. I had gone out an bought a low cal mayo and guess what?? It had double the carbs in it as regular. So I used the regular just half of the serving size. Which was way under. I like my tuna fish a bit on the dryer side and like to have large chunks of onion in them (green onions for less carbs) and I use a bit of red wine vinegar and for a treat a dash of sweet relish or sweet pickles!!! This on a sandwich made from Romaine leaves satifies me just fine. I don't miss the bread!!!! Good luck and keep us posted!

I started my pre-op diet 5 days ago. It's been much harder than I thought it would be. I've been so hungry! I think that's because I'm trying to be a lot more active too, to help with recovery and post-op lifestyle changes. I've cheated a couple of times, but really minimally. I am supposed to lose 11 pounds prior to surgery and in the past 2 weeks, I've lost 9. I only have 2 to go and 9 days left in which to lose it. Every day that goes by it seems to get easier. When I calculate my caloric intake, I realized I'm only taking in about 650 calories a day (when I stick to it religiously). I'm drinking an Atkins shake for Breakfast and lunch and the really small dinner of lean Protein without sauces and green vegetables. I'm eating raw cucumbers and SF Jello to help with hunger. It must be working!:smile2:

Good job! I'm keeping my calories around 750-820. Still, having a hard time. . . the hours seem to s-t-r-e-t-c-h longer and l-o-n-g-e-r every day!

My surgeon does not havea pre-op diet, but I have been watching my diet, replacing one or two meals a day with a Protein Shake. I am being banded this :w00t:Thursday !!

Smart move, Grandma!! Kudos to you!

I'm being banded tomorrow morning, so I can say, down to the wire now, that I only "cheated" ONCE on my second day when I took a bite of lean, thin sliced turkey breast! Yay me!

:thumbup:

Well, it's 10:47 pm. I'm on my way to get my last cup of soothing, Decaf tea. This will be my final intake of my liquid pre-op! I'm going to brew a very special tea I've been saving for special occasions. Then I'm going to turn out all the lights, turn on some low music, and get mentally "in the game" for tomorrow morning's surgery!

Ciao, Bellas!

:thumbup:

OMG thank you for the honest question and answers...I am scheduled for surgery June 30th (1wk away) and sticking to 3 Protein Shakes + 1 low cal meal/day for 2wks pre is INDEED challenging. Mostly head hunger. But come on...this is a fat chick who is addicted to carbs!!! but i'm workin it girls i'm workin it.:thumbup: