Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

I'm on day three of the 14 day preop diet and have achieved ketosis. I cheated the first night while sleepwalking (chocolate cake and milk), but have not cheated since as far as I know.

It has gotten easier as I have progressed as far as hunger. The pre op diet requires 500-950 calories/day, no more than 50g carbs/day, and at the minimum 70g protein/day. Surprisingly, I'm having more trouble keeping the calories in check than the carbs!

I'm having an Atkins shake for Breakfast, then Decaf coffee. Fruit 2o or decaf powered drink mix throughout the day as needed, chocolate Protein Shake from powder (I can’t remember the brand but I bought it at walmart) mixed with Water (to cut the calories) or Muscle Milk light. Boxed Soup for lunch and dinner (1 cup). I’ve been chewing sugar free gum to help with the after taste of Protein Shakes and to just be able to chew SOMETHING.

I found that V8’s broccoli boxed soup kept me full way longer than I expected yesterday, but it’s higher in calories and carbs, but I was still within limits.

It’s tough so far, but not as bad as the first day with the headache all day due to sugar detox. I dread the weekend. I’m fine while at work, but then I get home and it’s a different story. I’m self pay (by credit card) and don’t want to screw this up.

Emmylou--i hear you..I started my pre op on Tuesday..the first day my headache was awful...today i'm ok..i had the slimfast lo carb Protein Shake today and that was ok...looking foward to lunch...

I am dreading the weekend too. I'm taking my girls to the movies...how will i say no to popcorn? ?? I cant even think of something i can take to snack on :bored: I would have taken string cheese, but i cant have dairy...

It will be a challenge, thats for sure.

The up side of this is my blood sugar levels are getting better and better every day.

Hey guys. It seems that we all have different pre op diets! Weird, huh? Regardless, I have cheated twice and felt really bad about it until I read your posts because -My pre op diet is All liquid, except for a small green salad. I drink slim fast and a Protein Drink. I think I am getting too many carbs and not enough Protein.< /p>

So -the cheat: day 5, I broke down and had a Lean Cuisine, then couldn't stop...had crackers and Peanut Butter. You know how you justify???? I was thinking, "I am so sick of this liquid diet that I gag when I try to drink it...so, maybe I need some real food like everybody else gets." (lol) see the insanity??).... So, I had the lean cuisine and THEN the peanut butter! :sneaky:And this, my friends, is the reason why I am having that lap band!!!! God help me!

Today, day 8 -was out of town all day having my pre op testing and other errands...nowhere to get a slim fast, right?

Hhhmmm..maybe I need some (real food) protein "like everybody else is doing".:)......So I ate deviled eggs from a cafeteria!

NOW, I am home and wanting something so badly!! It was easier when I was drinking and only drinking because I was pretty much used to feeling like crap...can I say that?...

How can I continue forward only drinking the slim fasts and a green salad when I feel that it is too many carbs and not enough protein? I should trust my doctor, but the devil keeps telling me to modify...:)

Just three words to say here... "I AM STARVING!!!!!"

Day four of the pre op liquid diet that consists of two Protein Shakes and up to 2 cups of milk or juice. I somewhat cheated today and went to starbucks and had a fruit smoothie with Protein Powder. It was made with naked 100% juice and it had whey Protein so that's not really cheating, is it???

Only 7 more days to go! Can't wait not to be hungry.

Good luck everybody!

I cheated, but barely. Every time my husband came and sat next to me with a plate of chips, I ate one. ONE, not two or three or a handful. All in all, I probably had a handful over the ten days. I don't think that's too bad, and I'm just fine now post-band. (I didn't vote because none of the choices fit for me.)

When I was on pre op I talked to my doctor about craving more food and he had me add powdered Protein to my shakes and it helped a great deal. I like Beneprotein because it has very little flavor and can go in shakes or Soup. Good luck

Yaaay Bashful!!!! We only have 6 more days to go!!!!!!!(not counting the surgery day)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am ONLY on day 2 of a 6 day ALL LIQUID DIET....5 Optifast shakes (& they DONT taste good:thumbdown:..not even a little a day with only Water or zero calorie beverage in between...NO food AT ALL...OMG...I have not cheated...I keep asking God to give me the strength & willpower to get thru this & for my surgery to be successful.....

Good luck to us all...........

I didn't cheat on the preop. But afterwards... like a week after I had this insane craving for Cheetohs, lol. I found out if I have just a couple Im satisfied. So now days if I get a really bad craving Ill let myself have a small portion, and its usually harmless.

A warning: I spent 10 days, all liquid except for a salad every couple of days. Weighed myself and I'd lost 15 lbs. With surgery coming up in a few days, I thought I might indulge in some red meat since everybody says that's off the meal plan forever. Well, I did. And for 24 hours I had the most horrific Constipation ever. So don't do what I did, and cheat with red meat after watching the liquid diet carefully. Hoo boy.

I had to do a liquid lo-carb diet for a week, pre op.

It was AWFUL (but totally worth it, because now I'm banded).

The first day, I freaked out and smushed up 6 sliced of turkey bacon and ate them straight out of the package. I also had one cherrio. Because of my initial slip ups, for the remaning days, I went hardcore lo-carb: I tried to get as close to 0 grams of carbs as I could, but the lowest I got was 30-ish. I was starving. I think I seriously am failing on the protien part, Initially, I couldn't find a shake I liked, but I found one (pure protien, chocolate. Mhhmm...) the night before I got banded. Hopefully, I can have one soon.

I'm on day 7 of my pre op and have not cheated. I have not had an urge to cheat because my doc has me on 2 Protein Shakes a day which I can add frozen or fresh fruit and one meal consisting of 6-8oz of lean meat, all the green veggies I want and a cup of fruit. I went to see the doc after being on the diet for 3 days and I had already lose 5lbs. :smile:

One thing that has helped me through these 7 days is when I drink my shake I also drink 16oz of Water, so it takes me a while to finish the shake and water. Before you know it it's time for lunch.< /p>