Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

I am currently on day 3 of my pre-op liquid diet and have cheated everyday. I Do really well during the day and horrible at night. Today I did a little better and only ate a few pretzels. I think I must just be weak. Tomorrow is my birthday and I want to do really well so I don't feel like a loser. My surgeon only wants me to lose 5lbs and that shouldn't be that hard right! Wrong I could lose 5lbs eating chicken & tuna. I can drink 6 to 7 slimfast a day, sf Jello, skim milk, sf ff pudding, no sugar added non fat yogurt, broth, sf popsicles, Tomato or veggie juice, unsweetened diluted juice, low fat cream Soup, crystal lite and so on. I am able to have alot but I'm craving meat and sugar I hope my cravings and weakness do prevent me from doing what I have to do and drink the liquids. I have to be able to do this! 7 days to go! Surgery March 30th @ 6am!

Day #5 pre-op -- It hasn't even occured to me to cheat.

it never occured to me that you CAN cheat with the band. They told me at the Dr's office, "you can get around this band, ya know" With apologies prior to making my point, i replied "I'm not fucking around here. I'm serious about this" i couldn't believe they tell you how NOT to cheat before you even have the thought.

this is my last resort. i have hit bottom. this is the only thing i have left to do. i am not screwing this up for anything. i've read too many failed banders and stories of cheating and gaining. i don't mean to sound holier than thou, but i can't see going through all this and cheating my way out of success.

I'm on day 8 of my pre op diet. Its supposed to be liquid diet but on the foods I am allowed to eat I can have 1 cup of salad with fat free dressing. I have cheated once and I had 4oz of chicken. I feel like a failure and I keep thinking of food all the time. I would kill for some wings or a burger. This food addiction this is rough. My date is 4/14/09 and I am hoping I can stay with this without going off the wagon again. The mental hunger is the worst I tell you.

I am so happy for those people that haven't cheated. I wish I could be like that. I just want to be able to get my bad and for the mental hunger to go away.

Thanks for listening to my ranting and freaking out :smile2:

Craig

Craig don't beat yourself up. If it were easy you wouldn't be having the surgery. Do your best. I will say this, you should really try to accept what you are allowed to eat because after surgery you are very limited. You will probably loose about 15lbs by your date. Hang in there, you can do it~!

I just started my FOUR WEEK pre-op diet today... I was trying to figure out some positive reasons to keep it up and not cheat (other than the glaringly obvious one of the surgery being the light at the end of the tunnel) and so I just sat down and figured up how much I spent last month eating out.

WOW. All those times I just "grabbed something quick" on the way home, or said yes to lunch with co-workers add up to a stupid amount. No wonder I am at the point where I need LB... :smile2:

So, I'm going to use that as a positive thing and let all the useful things I could have spent that money on motivate me.

i was not required to be on liquids before surgery only to cut Pasta and red meats.but im sure i would of cheated if i had ben on onmy liquids...just being honest.lol

I get banded on April 28th - and have been on the pre-op diet since April 13th.

I cheated the other day -- stopped and got a rallyburger....it tasted soooo good while I was eating it.

But about 10-15 minutes afterwards my digestive system went wild on me -- boy it wasn't used to that stuff.

So it worked --- reminded me that being healthy is the way to go - and keep to the right portions.

I started my pre-op liquids on April 14th and I'm 2 days from surgery on the 28th.

The only "cheating" I've done was to use a different shake during this time rather than the one that the surgeon said to drink. He said to have 4 1/2 cans of Slim Fast High Protein. I don't really care for the taste and limited flavor selection. Occasionally, I have been having an Adkins shake instead. They have a little more fat than SFHP, but fewer calories and more Protein. I've also had a few cups of fat free, low sodium broth...Just to have something that wasn't cold and sweet. I guess it's all working. I've lost 17 pounds since I went on pre-op liquids.

As for the cravings. I haven't had the really crazy desires for "real food" since day 3 or 4. I've actually cooked out for my family on 3 occasions. Things I'm craving now are things that I'll be able to have when I get to "mushies"..Baked potatoes, FF refried Beans, etc.

Take care & good luck to all!

Jim

I did cheat. Yes, I am guilty. I had a bowl of spinach and a Mcdonalds grilled chicken snack wrap. My surgery is in 12hrs and I am extremely nervous that I will be cancelled.

When you are going from stuffing your face with all the high cholesterol, to an extremely restricted liquid diet it gets hard. You feel starved (although experts say if you follow the pre-op diet correctly you should not feel hungry).

It truly is mind over matter. I came into this thinking I know I can do it. I know I can stick to this diet in it's entirety. It got harder everyday.

Edited by Brittney365
typo

on my pre-op diet I didnt cheat cause i wanted my liver to shrink, the post -op diet Im not cheating I drunk liquids for about 4 days before i went to running grits this was the 1st weeks now im on the second week im eating grits still and mashed pototoes nothing else. if i get hungry i may eat a vienna but it mushy so i guess im doing okay. i would really kill for some meat right now.

I started my 3 day clear liquid diet for my Surgery on Monday May 4. My booklet says nothing about gatoraide. Do you think I can have some G2 gatoraide?

Gatorade/Powerade were all NO's for my pre-op diet. Too much carbs and sugar. But check with your surgeon's office they will tell you positively.

I found the Isopure clear liquid to be the closest to the Gatorade that I could have.

Good Luck!!

I didn't have to do liquid only, (thank God!) but I DID cheat on my 2 week Pre-op diet. Mostly small things like french onion Soup, but 4 days I ate things I wasn't supposed to AT ALL!

Banded TODAY!!!

No cheating, i was good! I'm proud of that too. There are reasons why they give you a pre-op diet. It's not just because they are mean. lol. It's for your health. I say don't cheat, otherwise you might screw yourself. I had 5 days of clears. It wasn't much fun, but hey by day 2 I wasn't even hungry anymore.

I am scheduled for surgery 05/21/09 and reading the different comments give me hope, I am not looking forward to the Pre-Op - but I think mine will only be 2 days of liquids, will find out for sure tomorrow at my Post-Op appointment.

Good Luck Everyone

Edited by MsJewel