Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

Yep, there I said it. I have cheated. Somewhere in between "healthy foods" and a food fest. I am scheduled for this Wednesday and have been on the liquid diet at least half of the past two weeks.

I won't be seeing a 15 lb wt loss. Probably between 5-10lbs. (Due to start my cycle any day now & I typically retain a lot of Fluid.)

I'll spare you from hearing my excuses as I'm sure you've experienced them all yourselves sometime in the past.

I am so looking forward to the day when I can eat a normal amount of food and actually feel full.

cariflower: The pre op diet is there for a reason, a very serious reason as I am sure you are aware. I hope your lapse is temporary and you are back on track. So often, when we (obese) people make mistakes, we become the 'jolly fat' guy use laughter to cover up our true feelings. You failed, fine, get back on track but please don't laugh at yourself. We are here to support you and know how difficult the pre op and post op diets are. You can do it, we know you can. Doddie

Well Thnk You Doddie But I Wasnt Laughing At Myself Thank You I Replied To A Girl That Had A Month Worth Of Final Meals. And If The Pre Diet Is So Serious Why Is In Not Required By Every Doctor Straight Across The Board. Not Saying That I Am Not Going To Follow My Doctors Directions But I Fialed The First Day. If I Had The Will Power To Diet I Would Not Be Getting The Lap Band. Maybe You Should Be A Little Less Critical If Your Really Here For Support

Hi: I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intent. My intent was to stress how serious the decision is to have the band and to make light of breaching the diet, to me, was an indication of laughing off an eating problem. I know many have the "last meal" and many break it, that happens and I fully understand as you can see I was not 303 lbs for nothing. However, I also know that fat people tend to make light of themselves before others do it for them. Brushing off with laughter what they know is a problem. Again sorry to offend.

oh god.

I encourage everyone to cheat all they want, pre and post. Then tell me how successful you were!

Thanks Kate. Support does not mean condoning mistakes, support is telling a person like it is. To make them face the problem. How many times I and others have gone to a weight loss program, weighed in and laughing gone for a hamburger after. How many of us kept the weight off. Laughing to me is an indication of embarassment knowing eating the food was not a good thing. I apologized for offending in the way I stated my comments, I do not apologizing for trying to encourage by not condoning poor eating habits.

I don't have alot to go on here, are you diabetic? Often happens, with the amount overweight. Make sure you are on the appropriate Optifast. Is there a sugar-free type? Is this the only thing you can have? Your MD office would be wise to let you have control with a liquid diet, for variety if nothing else. Mine was quite forthcoming with Soups, cottage cheese, Jello, -- still liquids and yet some control. Tomato Soup every night was actually something to look forward to, with skim milk and whatever spices....one night Mexican spices, another Italian, sometimes just dill and garlic, creative. Good luck, I'm pulling for you as I know your children are!!

carifowler:

First off, congratulations on getting this far! The preop diet is certainly not an easy thing to do but there are reasons for it.

The important thing is that you are able to "get back on the wagon" right away.

I've had the same questions as you regarding the pre op diet. I certainly did not do it perfectly myself. If I was perfect I sure wouldn't be here! I chose my physician because I trust him to guide me in the best way he knows possible.

This morning I was banded almost 10 lbs lighter!

Congrats Shardenly!!!!!

I Fell off the wagon the first day with a small piece of grilled chicken at lunch. this all started when i replied to a lady "the Ghost" said she had a months worth of last meals and said that I too a quiet a few last meals before i was to start pre opt. then laughed with a ha ha! then all of a sudden i am laughing at myself and hiding behind being fat! As a matter of fact I really wasnt ashamed of being fat lots of people in america are FAT! I am doing this because i have a back injury and i have to do it because of the pain. now if i was in a room of skinny people yeah i might have felt a little off but past that had not going to any great lenghths to become skinny. I am not a good dieter if i was i would not be fat and need the lap band to begin with.

you know what u are so right. I am the fat funny girl hell im hysterical...I call myself fat names and laugh and say yea god gave the fat girls the boobs he wasnt totally unfair...stuff like that. ugh how pathetic am i

you know what u are so right. I am the fat funny girl hell im hysterical...I call myself fat names and laugh and say yea god gave the fat girls the boobs he wasnt totally unfair...stuff like that. ugh how pathetic am i

hey jazzy how do you get all that cool stuff on you post like the jazzy junes? where do you add it in your profile?thx

i just joined! i have to lose 10 lbs... surgery is june23rd..i have to lose 10lbs before june 6th (pre op weigh in!)... 1000 cals a day!! day one...it was hard..but i have to do it...i must!

OK I was not helpful yesterday with my sarcasm.

What I wish for the world of overweight/food addicted people is to stop treating food like this little kid reward system. It's sick! It's something we've been taught (and believe me I am still guilty of it) and it is a huge mental reason why we have problems with food. I think once I conquered this fear relationship with food, I became "HAPPY" even at 193 lbs. I at least understand it, even if I still struggle with it. I am slowly losing, but healthier with my relationship.

You are not a "bad" person if you eat something not on your band diet. You are not a "bad" person if you cheat on your liquid diet. I am more interested in seeing you continue to pick yourself up every day and maybe not eat EVERYTHING you want, maybe do the pre-op for one meal - but to ask permission to blow off the pre op diet is really indicative of your underlying dysfunctional relationship wth food. Which every single one of us here has, so there is absolutely no call for anyone to judge, reprimand, demean or otherwise make you feel bad about yourself.

True, I had a pre op diet. True, I lasted 7 days on liquids and ate my face off before the surgery. True, I still was banded. True, my friend Lexy had no pre op diet. The question is not whether you can eat what you want, or why some docs require it and not others, but ask yourself why it's so hard for you to accept a liquid pre-op?

Start just asking yourself why controlling your food is so hard. That's the bigger journey. Let go of this fearful "I should/I shouldn't" and the resulting criticism from other banders. We ALL have food issues, it's like asking another crazy person in the ward with you if they think you're nuts :confused_smile:

We're here, aren't we???

Once you are banded, and you will be, when your fill is perfect, your life will change. You will notice how radically different, and silent, all those food demons in your head will be. I cried when I first noticed the magic fill. Everyone in my head just shut up. The silence was beautiful. I didn't NEED cheesesteaks, I wasn't STARRRVING for anything. I was clearheaded for the first time in my entire life. When I ate those foods by conscious choice, it didn't always taste perfect and wonderful. Sometimes, it was a disappointment and not worth the calories. Yes, even of my favorite cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory :tt1: Once food wasn't constanly perfect, I was able to get picky...do I want to eat the pizza and feel the uncomfortable passing through the band? Bleh...no pain for me today thx. I would actually made GOOD CHOICES! omg. Me, fat Kate, choosing a salad over chicken parm?? I feel normal when I cn do that. It's not all the time, but it happens more often than not.

That's how the band heals. You are clearheaded and can make sane choices if you are willing to slow down and just listen to your body.

There is a bigger reason you're being asked to do it. I ask you guys to look a little bit deeper. Clearly with the amount of reaction it evokes in us to be fed and nourished (but NOT by what we *want* to eat) is the real root of food problems, and why we're all so fat we are putting our freaking lives in danger.

Do me a favor.

Just never stop trying to understand and master the "Why" of your weight. There is an answer, but it will take time.