Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

Hi,

The bariatric program that I attend doesn't require a pre-op liquid phase. The patient has to lose 15% of his/her excess body weight, but how you do it is up to the individual. They do give some patients medication to help lose the weight - only if not contraindicated medically.

They will not do surgery until you have lost the weight, however. The reason is a fatty liver. In the pre-op classes they explain even a few pounds make a big difference in the amount of fat around the liver.

The requirement was frustrating at times - but all in all I think it was a good idea. It helps you learn how to eat regular foods after the surgery.

The program I am attending is at Bassett Healthcare in Cooperstown, NY.

Molly A

I am on day 4 of my 14 day Optifast. I haven't cheated, don't plan on it. I'm not even really physically hungry, but it is a real mental fight for me. I really want to eat and a lot of it is just habits. I also just want to taste something because I've been slamming the optifast shakes and they don't taste good at all. But I am resolved to stick with it and hope I have a good drop in pounds.

Wll I was doing so good just sniffing other people until last night. I had a school function/auction/dinner thingy and I thought "I will just eat a couple of bites to equal a lean cuisine"

Ok, who was I trying to fool?:eek: I at an appitizer, then a salad (I'm allowed those) then dinner - CRAP, then helped my table polish off 4 bottles of wine (DOUBLE CRAP):sad:

So today, slightly hungover, I vow not to cheat again..:smile2:

Although if I had will power I would be a fluff girl

I'm less than 48 hrs away from surgery. I did cheat on day 2 with a fried egg and Breakfast sausage and again on day 3 with a can of beef ravioli. My headaches were killing me. So for the last 10 days, I been really good, sticking to only Protein Shakes, cup of Soup chicken, or tomatoe soup. A few jellos (hate jello) and lots of popsicles! I pray to God my cheats on day 2 and 3 won't set me back. I had lots of craving, and one unforgettable crave for steak and sauteed onions. I went to bed so I wouldn't eat! I think I'll be ok. Its hard at first, but for me, after day 3, got much easier!! I go in on Tuesday, March 18, at 530am - Dr Oh, St Francis, Federal Way (Seattle), WA! Can't wait to join the post op threads! Tom in Seattle

I have cheated a bit on my pre-op liquid diet. I ate a 2 fudge rounds and a oatmeal cream pie in the beginning, which is weird cuz I never cared for these items before! And I have grabbed a nibble here and there while making my family their meals. I have 4 Unjury shakes a day, and am allowed 5 servings of, dannon light and fit yogurt, 1/2 C natural applesauce, 1/2C fat free Soup, 1/2 c plain oatmeal.(I get to choose my combo of 5) So when I did cheat I cut out a serving or two of the allowed items, or mixed my shakes with Water to save on the calories from the skim milk. I have 2 days until I meet with the nutritionist, and I pray to god I have lost weight, I feel like I have. I will be very dissappointed with myself if I haven't!( I am very anxious about this appointment) This has been a very hard process even though I totally know why I have to do it. (Oh yeah this is the first two weeks of liquid, my Dr. requires 4 all together) I am scheduled April 18th.

NO...and I'm sooooooo dang proud of myself!

I've been tempted a few times and thought "a little bite won't hurt"....and then realized that that is the kind of thinking that got me where I am!

I'm self pay and I just don't want to do anything that may jeopardize my success....even if it is a remote chance.....

It has given me such a sense of empowerment and has really firmed my belief that I CAN do this!

Yesterday was BRUTAL.....it's donut day at work.....dozens of glazed, chocolate, fritters, all manner of lovely pastries...and pots and pots of coffee.....but I felt so good walking away from them!

I have been all over the place this week, and I haven't even started my liquid diet this week!

Last night I wanted to just give up before we went out for pizza and everything. However, I did eat much less than I normally would (ate

six small 2" square pieces instead of the entire damn thing). Had some pop as well (bad, bad). But this morning I went out and walked 1.2 miles and got my heart rate above 130 for most of it.

I am really not looking forward to all liquids for five/six weeks. The doc wants me to lose 40 pounds, and I'm not sure if I want to try to squeeze this all in before my cut off date for the surgery or just try it my way and see what happens.

well this is my 5th day on liquids and i havent cheated , but i have thought baout it also i have liver disease due to a fatty liver so it is important for me to stick to the liquids and slimfast low carb shakes im excited abiut getting the surgery it is march 26th at 9am best of luck to everyone!

I am on preop diet day 4 and although I have wanted to jump through the TV and grab every food item that shows up, I have been a good girl. I am determined to drop at least 40 pounds before I graduate May 10th. So I am dreaming of the day when I can have some mashed potatoes!!!! Are grits and cream of wheat allowed as mushies post op?

Angelsvoice - me too on the mashed potatoes!!! I am on Day 8 of my Pre-Op Diet and I dream of the day just to get a bite of my MIL's wonderful mashed potatoes!!

Grits/Cream of Wheat are not on my pre-op list.

One week from today I will be banded - I am ready to get it over with!!

My surgery is scheduled for Thursday-Mar 20, 2008. My doctor gave me a pre diet of 1300 calories. . He doesn't require an all liquid pre-op diet.

However, he is very concerned about a smaller liver and said that even 3 days of dieting before the surgery makes a difference. He said all liquid is not necessary, but he said an all liquid diet does shrink the liver the most. Just to be sure, I am going on an all liquid diet for the next three days before my surgery...

cc

I have cheated a bit on my pre-op liquid diet. I ate a 2 fudge rounds and a oatmeal cream pie in the beginning, which is weird cuz I never cared for these items before! And I have grabbed a nibble here and there while making my family their meals. I have 4 Unjury shakes a day, and am allowed 5 servings of, dannon light and fit yogurt, 1/2 C natural applesauce, 1/2C fat free Soup, 1/2 c plain oatmeal.(I get to choose my combo of 5) So when I did cheat I cut out a serving or two of the allowed items, or mixed my shakes with Water to save on the calories from the skim milk. I have 2 days until I meet with the nutritionist, and I pray to god I have lost weight, I feel like I have. I will be very dissappointed with myself if I haven't!( I am very anxious about this appointment) This has been a very hard process even though I totally know why I have to do it. (Oh yeah this is the first two weeks of liquid, my Dr. requires 4 all together) I am scheduled April 18th.

Don't feel like you are cheating; I had my surgery 2 years ago and had great sucess! lost 120 lb. then after 3 years a baby came to us this past september I put on 58 lbs. on thru the pregnancy; there were plenty of times I cheated by eating the soft foods, milk shakes etc, in the first two years, but in the end when I got on the scale; I could only blame one person alone. After the baby; this january I had one fill, so far loosing again steady...but I "cheat" sometimes...we are human...do not forget to incorporate exercise...buy a treadmill and place a TV in front of it...by the time Dr. Phill was over or some other show...I had walked an hour! that has been my great sucess tool. I hope the best for you....and remember it all depends on your effort. I went from a 18W to a size 4, this year since there will be no more children; I will get a Tummy Tuck and a boob job as well; once I am back to my normal weight! So press on!!!