Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

It took 4 months from information seminar to surgery for me,

psychology, pulmonology, cardiology, lab work, endoscopy, sleep apnea study was done before all these began.

Surgery was 3/19/08, so over all not too long of a process for me

And I would do it all over again in a heart beat!!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. And sorry it’s taken me so long to get back here. I’ve had connection issues for a few days. :smile2:

Anyway, I went to the doctor yesterday and got a fill. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I only gained 2 lbs since April. He didn’t seem too upset with me. However in his words I’m being kept “on a short leash”. I go back in 5 weeks and he wants me to see a dietitian / nutritionist. I even made that appointment already. (I go on 9/9.)

WOW I feel like I’m finally back on track. My trick is to stay on track.

I feel motivated; think I’ll take the puppy for a walk.

I also want to go back a few days and read the thread. Will do that tonight.

It is so nice to connect to people who have been or are going to be banded.

Like so many of you everytime I went to a meeting or class I thought this is it I will get a date for my surgery, but not so. This last time I made the trip to Idaho which is a few hrs drive for me, my appt. started at 8:30am and my last one was 3:30pm. I had thought that I would get my date when I met with my Doctor, but all he did was go over the whole thing about the band. It was almost like I was talking to a salesman. Then he said he office would call me for my date. Then I had the long drive home and I was really tired.....I really want this to be done but I guess I will just have to wait. :smile2:

It is so nice to connect to people who have been or are going to be banded.

Like so many of you everytime I went to a meeting or class I thought this is it I will get a date for my surgery, but not so. This last time I made the trip to Idaho which is a few hrs drive for me, my appt. started at 8:30am and my last one was 3:30pm. I had thought that I would get my date when I met with my Doctor, but all he did was go over the whole thing about the band. It was almost like I was talking to a salesman. Then he said he office would call me for my date. Then I had the long drive home and I was really tired.....I really want this to be done but I guess I will just have to wait. :smile2:

Is the delay due to insurance issues or because your doctor is overbooked? If the delay is because of the latter, I'd be concerned about what type of post-op support/follow-up you are going to receive.

I was self pay so I went to Mexico. I called middle of August and was banded Sept 5th. I hear all of everyone's frustration with all of the requirements you have to meet but I think I would not have had as many problems with the band had I had better preperation. In one year I have lost 70 lbs. I am grateful for that - don't get me wrong but I was not prepared emotionally and I have a lot of difficulties dealing with the ups and downs associated with the fills working/ not working etc. So IMHO be grateful for this preperation time and learn all about the lap band.

Would I do it again ABSOLUTELY

Hi all, Been a while since I've been on...Well, I have my 2nd appt. with my new surgeon (my other one was too far away) and I don't think I've lost anything in the 3 mos. since I saw him last. I was really praying I would lose my last 15 or so lbs. and wouldn't need another fill, but...I seem to have all his criteria for requiring a fill...I'm hungry(all the time), I'm able to eat more than I should(unless I eat wrong, in which case it gets stuck) and I am looking for food and snacking all day. I guess I should be glad I've just been bouncing between 145 and 148 and haven't gained. Anyway, I have my appt at 10am this tuesday (the 26th) and I am gonna ask for a fill. I'm so tired of being the same weight for soooo very long, especially when I'm so close to my goal weight.

I guess I've vented enough....thanx for listening!

Joanie

Slowmover54 - Yes indeed, it sounds like time for a fill. You are so tantalizingly close to your goal - it must be frustrating.

I can only hope some day I too will be close...but it isn't today.

Lori, AWESOME WEIGHT LOSS! I go today for a fill. I hope things will pick up for me. I have no restriction. I even ate a piece of steak this week. I cooked for my daughter and I just had to eat. I even ate spaghetti and meat sauce, but I kept the portions very small. SO, I hope today will be the boost I need to move down to another level.

Arlene, Good luck with your fill today!! I hope it gives you the right amount of restriction. This is your first isn't it? So far I'm not noticing a whole lot of difference in mine.

I was self pay so I went to Mexico. I called middle of August and was banded Sept 5th. I hear all of everyone's frustration with all of the requirements you have to meet but I think I would not have had as many problems with the band had I had better preperation. In one year I have lost 70 lbs. I am grateful for that - don't get me wrong but I was not prepared emotionally and I have a lot of difficulties dealing with the ups and downs associated with the fills working/ not working etc. So IMHO be grateful for this preperation time and learn all about the lap band.

Would I do it again ABSOLUTELY

Mistymoon, I agree with you completely. Between learning the band existed and knowing immediately it was right for me, and getting my surgery, it was close to a year. -- Allowing for a change of insurance companies. I spent that time on the smartbandster list, listening, learning, finding out what was required of me and the ups and downs I could expect. I was impatient at first, wanting it yesterday, but then I realized I could get a head start right at that very moment. I started practicing good habits, good food choices, tiny bites and chewing. I worked to lose as much weight as I could beforehand to shorten my journey and make the surgery as easy a possible for the surgeon and for me. By the time they wheeled me in for surgery, I didn't have a doubt in my mind about my course of action. I was truly ready in every sense of the word.

So from my point of view, the wait is a blessing if you allow it to be. :smile2:

Orea

I have been falling off the bandwagon a great deal here lately. I am leaving for Arizona soon and I will get back on track as soon as I come home. The great thing about the band is that it's always there waiting to do it's job, when I commit myself to eating right.

Denise, when you say you've been falling off the bandwagon lately, do you mean you've gained weight or are you saying that you've not been careful of what you're eating?

Arlene, Good luck with your fill today!! I hope it gives you the right amount of restriction. This is your first isn't it? So far I'm not noticing a whole lot of difference in mine.

I got a fill....took three times to get it right. I already had 2cc's in it then she put another two in it. Water would not go down....so she took out a cc and then dicovered the nurse had put 3cc's in the syringe so she took out a half. I can feel it. I have to stay on full liquids tonight then tomorrow soft food and then regular food on saturday. The goal is to eat a half a cup of food I think about six times a day. I guess three meals and three Snacks and 64oz of Water. Whew!

I have been under a lot of stress from having my dad here who is 89 for my son's wedding. I have been eating very badly and I have gained 5 lbs.

I am going to Arizona to go back with my dad. I am not going to attempt to take it off while i am gone. It's too hard there with my dad wanting to eat dinner out every night.

I am sure I will have no trouble taking it off when I get home. I gained weight the last time I went to AZ and took it back off in no time by going back to my exercising and eating right.

HI Dionna113,

Well I am retired and on medicare so there is no problem there as they are my primary and i have Blue shield/Blue gross for my supplement and I called them and they said if madicare covers it so will they. what I was told why I called the other day( last week I went into see my surgon, and had my classed ) and they said it takes time to get my report back from the doc. who made sure i wasn't crazy, once New U gets them, they then send them on to my doc. he then goes over them, sends what ever to the ins. once he hears back from them, he will call and set up a visit to put me on the liver diet, then labs and surgery date.....by then I think we will be into winter and that means dealing with snow ....but I think it must all be worth it.

It is just such a long wait and I am not getting any younger. lol

Mistymoon, I agree with you completely. Between learning the band existed and knowing immediately it was right for me, and getting my surgery, it was close to a year. -- Allowing for a change of insurance companies. I spent that time on the smartbandster list, listening, learning, finding out what was required of me and the ups and downs I could expect. I was impatient at first, wanting it yesterday, but then I realized I could get a head start right at that very moment. I started practicing good habits, good food choices, tiny bites and chewing. I worked to lose as much weight as I could beforehand to shorten my journey and make the surgery as easy a possible for the surgeon and for me. By the time they wheeled me in for surgery, I didn't have a doubt in my mind about my course of action. I was truly ready in every sense of the word.

So from my point of view, the wait is a blessing if you allow it to be. :wink2:

Orea

"The wait is a blessing if you allow it to be" -- words of wisdom. Thank you, Orea. Your postings always make such good sense. I've been at this since first seminar in early March, which seems like forever right now, but in the overall scheme of things is not too bad. I wholeheartedly agree that the wait is great for learning more about what I am signing on for, helps the determination to make this work, etc. One question - what is smartbandster? I tried a search, but turned up an electronics site. ugh. Anything for more research, more information while I wait PATIENTLY. (I love capitalizing that word - makes it sound so impatient, doesn't it?)

I, too, am working at the habits I will need in the near future...eating healthy (DH and I already do that, just more than necessary), smaller helpings, small bites, chew a lot, etc. Exercise is still an issue. I will work on that.