Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

hello all I am a newbie to this. what exacly is a pb?

Welcome to the group. I'm not banded yet, but as i understand it, pb'ing is productive burping. Kind of similar to vomitting but without the stomach acid. I'm sure those with some experience with it can tell you more.

I agree, this thread and Indio's mentor thread are the best. Although, I see that most of us toggle between several of the same threads!

I love to come here and read the posts and on Indio's mentor thread as well. The info, the caring and sharing are so inspiring. Thank you all.

I tried the Bariatric Advantage watermelon multi and chocolate Calcium chewables and I really despise them. My stomach objects. I switched to Viactiv for the Calcium and "All One" Vitamin and Mineral powder, which my sister has used and loved for years. I mix it in with one of my Protein shakes for now. I can taste it but it doesn't bother me.

My surgeon is recommending Flinstones chewables or gummies. I bought a bottle of the gummies yesterday. They are kind of sour but definately do-able.

I think a lot of the size variance depends on where we carry our weight.

I agree with you here. My sister gave me some clothes she undergrew and i can wear some of them and can't wear some of them. They are all the same size.

I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone here. I feel so at home.

Social settings still make me nervous.

I agree....everyone is here is wonderful and seeing that our goals can be realized despite what the research shows. I hadn't really given any thought to social settings. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with several others that this 50's group is the best. I do check out (and occasionally post) on other threads, but this one is my favorite and my primary support group. Thank you all for sharing. I love our acceptance of each other and our support and encouragement for everyone. It's ok to agree to disagree and everyone's opinion counts, but here we all have the same goal: good health. Our common goals and struggles unite us....Nancy

Yes, yes, yes!

I have been eating very badly since my dad got here for my son's wedding. It makes me nervous that I am up 5 lbs. I will lose it when I come back from Arizona after I take my dad home. I have to remember that I can go back to following the rules and the weight will come off again.

It must be so reassuring to know that you have the tool and the confidence that you will be back on track and losing!

My daughter has decided to join me on this journey. We attended our second support group meeting last week. The first one was a general pre-op session. There was a guest speaker from the dept. of health and she spoke about smoking. There wasn't a lot of time for questions and most of what was asked seemed to be about by-pass surgery. The second session was just for lapbanders and great! The surgeon talked about the differences between lapband and realize. Then took questions about anything having to do with the process. Then the nurtionalist spoke about grazing. After that we were broken into smaller groups, each group had at least 1 post-op person. That was great. The surgeon visited each group and asked each person if they had questions which was wonderful also.

We have our initial consult on 11/20. We are both seeing our PCP's in the next couple of weeks and starting the supervised diet. The other consult appts. will be made at the time of the initial consult. We both have checked with our insurance co's and the surgery will be covered.

Is there anything else we should be doing?

I hope everyone has a terrific day!

Pat

I would take it easy today and make sure you chew thoroughly and take your time.

I know its not fun to pb and hate when that happens, but most of the time its because I didn't chew well enough and/or ate too fast. Another thing I can't do is lay down shortly after I have eaten anything! This weekend I had had a piece of licorice and then went to lay down to read. About 15 min. later I was pbing and ended up throwing up the licorice. That was awful. Ick!

You guys are doing great i have my banding on the 20th and looking oward to shapeing up again for those of you are having problems check your diet and committment and talk to to dr. Be frank with them and let them knwo what you are going through i really belive this is a wonderful thing best of luck to all

Hi all, I’ve been reading this thread off and on for a little while and think it’s time I started posting.

I was banded in June 2007 and am now a member of the very, very, dare I say very slow loser club. I’ve only lost about 30 lbs but I look at it as 30 I’ve NOT gained! Actually most of it is my fault as I haven’t been to the surgeon for a fill since April. :blush: Plus some of my “pre-band” habits have crept back in and I’ve allowed them to stay. Oh and I won’t even talk about the stress eating.

OK, once I put all that out in the open, I realized they sound like a bunch of excuses. So my first step was to make that dreaded appointment with my surgeon and face the music. (I go on Wednesday.:wink2:)

My next step was to get my eating back under control. I’m still working on that and have really made some progress.

Then add in the exercise. I’ve been on my bike three times in as many days. Today will be four times.

And I’m going to start going to support group meetings.

I look forward to posting here and getting to know you all.

Lynn, I noticed you are in Newark. I’m on the outskirts of Wilmington.

Marie

Hey, Marie, WTG to get back on track

Yes, I am in Newark, Dr. Gail Wynn was my surgeon.

Another fellow bander and I walk regularly at the walking path at route 896/40, as well as members of the new Bear YMCA.

And I agree, I love this group, so informative, supportive and can give a good kick in the butt, if it is needed. I could not have been as successful as I ma if it had not been for everyone here.

Hi all, I’ve been reading this thread off and on for a little while and think it’s time I started posting.

I was banded in June 2007 and am now a member of the very, very, dare I say very slow loser club. I’ve only lost about 30 lbs but I look at it as 30 I’ve NOT gained! Actually most of it is my fault as I haven’t been to the surgeon for a fill since April. :wink2: Plus some of my “pre-band” habits have crept back in and I’ve allowed them to stay. Oh and I won’t even talk about the stress eating.

OK, once I put all that out in the open, I realized they sound like a bunch of excuses. So my first step was to make that dreaded appointment with my surgeon and face the music. (I go on Wednesday.:thumbup:)

My next step was to get my eating back under control. I’m still working on that and have really made some progress.

Then add in the exercise. I’ve been on my bike three times in as many days. Today will be four times.

Marie

Welcome Marie!! I sure wish I knew you DE gals when I lived there! We lived there for only a year and a half sortta off Naamans road and Concord Pike area. We moved back to CO which was home about a year and a half ago. But I was so lonely back there as I didn't know anyone. Loved the area though, just missed family a lot!

Welcome Marie! This group has helped me so much; just keep reading and posting. Someone (or several) will always respond to you and it helps sooo much!

Speaking of losing slowly....I'm all about that. And lately, I pb every other day. Today I did it on a whopper (just the meat and cheese and lettuce and tomato); I ate about half and didn't feel any chest pressure (that's how I know I've had enough), then the next small bite and I thought I would die! Thank goodness, it came up and I felt 100% better. But until it did, there were massive tears, gasping, pain, yikes! I hate pb's! Each time, I swear I won't let it happen again. It is not the type of thing you want to experience more than once. But, just as I am a slow loser, impatient in my old age and occasionally (LOL!) impulsive, I am doomed to learn things the slow, hard way!

Oh, and good news.... Since I am a resource teacher this year, I get to run back and forth through several buildings, many times each day. Hectic, but lots of good exercise and I love it! Maybe I will lose a bit more soon....:wink2:

Best to all,

Nancy

Nancy -

That's a lot of PB'ing. That can't be normal. I haven't had my first fill yet, but I hope I don't experience that. I would be so unhappy. I haven't been to a fast food restaurant since surgery. I'm trying to stay away. Too many temptations!

I leave on my first business trip tomorrow since surgery. I'm off to Chicago. It will be interesting with this new lifestyle. I'm used to eating ALOT when I travel!

Kathy

I'm Back.... Well some of you knew I was gone for a long weekend visiting My Son & My Sister ..

First of all I haven't read all the pages - you guys are a busy bunch :crying:

But did skim this page and gotta say thanks to you all you complements about my post.. You all are really all too kind - I am just parrotting everythng I learned in all thosse programs I have done - I am just speaking from my heart about my experiences and as we all have figured out we really are all the sames (mostly) I will say something and you will say to yourself - omg I thought I was the only one who did that. You guys really honor me too much... Just want you all to know I appreciate your kind words..

I was banded in June 2007 and am now a member of the very, very, dare I say very slow loser club. I’ve only lost about 30 lbs but I look at it as 30 I’ve NOT gained! Actually most of it is my fault as I haven’t been to the surgeon for a fill since April. :thumbup: Plus some of my “pre-band” habits have crept back in and I’ve allowed them to stay. Oh and I won’t even talk about the stress eating.

OK, once I put all that out in the open, I realized they sound like a bunch of excuses. So my first step was to make that dreaded appointment with my surgeon and face the music. (I go on Wednesday.:eek:)

Marie

Marie - Welcome - Glad you are posting :blink: You have made the 1st step in getting healthy.. You admit that you haven't made the best choices and are in need of a fill - for your band to work you gotta maintain it. You aren't the only one who is struggling - your doc most likely has other pple just like you. Talk to him - tell him your struggles (that's what you are paying him for) Come here - we are all here for you..

Clean out your cupboards (if it's not there you can't eat it), replace the junk with healthy stuff that you enjoy (low fat - sugar free)

Also another suggestion - keep a food diary - for me it really helped - I counted calories for the 1st yr - I bought a scale that gave me the calories & Protein grams and all other nutritional info - I learned what a portion size looked like - and how many calories were in the item I was eating.. I'm not saying you have to do this for the rest of your life but it's a great learning tool.

Keep up the exercise and each week increase the intensity &/or length the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn.

Again, glad to have you - when you want to falter - come and read and post - I find that it takes my mind off food :tt2:

Welcome Marie! This group has helped me so much; just keep reading and posting. Someone (or several) will always respond to you and it helps sooo much!

Speaking of losing slowly....I'm all about that. And lately, I pb every other day. Today I did it on a whopper (just the meat and cheese and lettuce and tomato); I ate about half and didn't feel any chest pressure (that's how I know I've had enough), then the next small bite and I thought I would die! Thank goodness, it came up and I felt 100% better. But until it did, there were massive tears, gasping, pain, yikes! I hate pb's! Each time, I swear I won't let it happen again. It is not the type of thing you want to experience more than once. But, just as I am a slow loser, impatient in my old age and occasionally (LOL!) impulsive, I am doomed to learn things the slow, hard way!

Oh, and good news.... Since I am a resource teacher this year, I get to run back and forth through several buildings, many times each day. Hectic, but lots of good exercise and I love it! Maybe I will lose a bit more soon....:)

Best to all,

Nancy

Nancy

Sorry for you pb struggles - how are your bites and how fast are you eating - for me that will cause a pb ... and that one bite too many too. but most of the time I know when I am forcing it - last night got up and had a sf pudding in the middle of the night (for you who don't know I am a night time eater - still am with the band - but it's planned for and within my calorie budget for the day) well - I ate it too fast and almost pb'd it had to get up and streach to get it to go down..

Ok - just got back from the gym - gotta ck on my other post - so will talk to you all later

Oh, Denise your son is getting married - Congrats :biggrin:- are you in AZ - I agree when I am not at home my food choices are so much harder. But the diff between a yr ago and now is that you know what you have to do to get that 5 lbs off - now you don't ignore those 5 lbs you get them off..

Kathy, you are right about the PB's. But I do think it is entirely my fault. Either the bites are too big or I am not chewing well enough. It always happens on Proteins (ground beef or chicken---one time it was deli roast beef). This is the first time I tried fast food (and it was just a burger, w/o the bun and all the carby stuff---just a few little pieces of lettuce and a slice of tomato), and I thought if I was careful, it would be ok. I do eat at restaurants a lot with friends, but usually have fish or something easy to handle. I am trying to get better at this, really I am! LOL!

Indio: I think you are correct. I am not sure if the bite was too large (I doubt that, as it was really small), or if I didn't chew enough (I think that was the culprit), but my goodness, you would think I would learn this lesson, wouldn't you? I am so phobic about deli roast beef that I tossed a bunch of it. However, I did make some roast beef in the crock pot (very, very tender), and it is just fine, as long as I chew well and take small bites.

Oh, a lovely NSV: one of the little ones at my school today didn't think my last year's picture (on my ID) was me! I told him it really was, but I was trying to get healthier and had lost some weight. He nodded his head wisely and said, "my mommy is always on a diet, too." These children are so adorable! Next year, I hope to look even less like my ID photo (that I just had taken a few days ago)!

Nancy

"Oh, a lovely NSV: one of the little ones at my school today didn't think my last year's picture (on my ID) was me! I told him it really was, but I was trying to get healthier and had lost some weight. He nodded his head wisely and said, "my mommy is always on a diet, too." These children are so adorable! Next year, I hope to look even less like my ID photo (that I just had taken a few days ago)!"

This tale made me remember that my school ID pic is to be taken next week, 1 week before me getting banded and I have decided to turn my weightloss into a lesson for my class and take my measurements with ribbons and compare as the time goes on. They are 6 year olds and are bubbling over with interesting and relevant questions, which I am only to happy to answer.

Hey,

I just realized today - for the first time ever in my life - I am well UNDER the stated weight on my driver's license!! I will need a new pix soon or nobody will believe it's actually my license when I use it to cash a check or something. :biggrin:

Also - yesterday somebody at work I haven't seen in awhile came to my office...and appologized and started to walk out, thinking she was in the wrong place. She then realized it was me, and said something about "you look different to me." Yeah :blink:

This is really what I needed, since I've really been struggling with head hunger lately! Need that next fill...although, I have some restriction and want to eat even when I'm not really hungry, so not sure that's going to help or not. I think it's the transition to fall - school starting soon, sun coming up later, etc. Always makes me want to make hearty Soups, stews, roasts, can & freeze, and bake goodies (store up for winter???)

I just want to keep up the momenum, but it's gotten tough these past few weeks.

Liza: You have lost nearly 110 pounds in 4 months? OMIGOSH! That is just awesome! You have got to be so proud of yourself! Just look at yourself in the mirror, try on new clothes and feel good about such an accomplishment! You will lose the rest, but if your body slows down a bit, that is not a bad thing. You don't want to lose so quickly that your skin (and head) can't keep up with all the changes! And I have never weighed less than the weight on my driver's license! That is quite a coup! You have shown that you can do this; now you just have to believe in yourself. What a wonderful example you are for all of us who are trying to get healthy!

Nancy

Liza,

You are doing wonderful!! What is it that you are eating? I have been losing from one to two pounds a week and I am happy with that. Just wanted to hear some of the things you are eating. I have been trying to eat variety and don't want to go back to my bad habits. Any advise would help.

Thanks,

Fran

xo

Good afternoon. I had a disappointing shopping trip this afternoon. After being able to buy a few things in XL in regular misses depts lately I thought I'd shop those. Dillards was having a huge clearance sale so tried on a couple XL's and they were too small, so I came home with a purse. :thumbup: I didn't want to go to the Womens dept because they are going to be too big soon, so I hope!

Had a very interesting evening last night, went to my hospital/surgeon's 3 mos post op class. I got a whole new binder of info from this point on, my last one dealt mostly with preop diets, hospital stuff etc for surgery. This got into the nitty gritty of nutrients, Vitamins, supplements, etc. I need to up my Protein I am too low on that, and eat more often, I eat 3 or 4 times a day they want us to eat 5 to 6 times. Also they are starting so many new groups that sound fascinating, some bariatric personal training, some nutritionist classes and some psychologists classes, there's a small fee for some and many are free. The after care is one of the reasons I picked my surgeon and I am so glad I did.