Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

It seems that I DO need the mask.

I slept very well with it last night despite my squawking.

A poor fella in the next room was over 400 pounds and had to have his mask re-fitted and re-adjusted several times.

Another woman was soooo afraid of every little thing.

Thanks for the information, Elayne. I have my sleep study Saturday night - my first and I hope only. It's good to know you slept well. I assume this study for me will be without the mask? Not my plan to be afraid of every little thing... What's with that? :rolleyes:

Welcome back, Phyl! We all missed you. I love your new photo. You look gorgeous, girl! Vacation must have agreed with you. How is that underwire going? It's been a long time since I have worn one of those 'cause I didn't like getting stuck w/wire... Maybe the secret is a good fitting. I'll have to try that one of these days.

It's good to have you back,

Welcome back, Phyl! We all missed you. I love your new photo. You look gorgeous, girl! Vacation must have agreed with you. How is that underwire going? It's been a long time since I have worn one of those 'cause I didn't like getting stuck w/wire... Maybe the secret is a good fitting. I'll have to try that one of these days. It's good to have you back,

Thanks for the welcome home!! Nice to be missed! Underwire is going okay, but so hot today, I wish I'd worn one of my old comfy bras! But the wires are still not bothering me at all!

Vacation was great... I think I did a good job of enjoying, but making healthy food choices! When I got weighed the first night I was home I was up 1.3 lb. By this morning, it was down to .9 lb, and tonight when I got on my Wii again to do some exercise, it said I was back to what I was the morning that we left! Woo hoo!! Looking good in that photo because I was holding a brand new baby! Good for one's countenance!! My little "grandniece"! What a cutie. My sister's first granddaughter after five grandsons!!

Thanks all, for the kind words. Long, you have got to be so proud of yourself---50 pounds is fabulous!

Judy: congrats on being hot! I would love to get to that point someday!

Gwen: I get bumpy kind of rashes on my lower calves....it hasn't gone away, but my pcp says it probably will when I get to my goal. If it doesn't I will go to a dermatologist for it, but not until I get thin and healthy!

PJ: I am a teacher, so I have to go most of the day w/o a bathroom break. Even so, I drink 3 to 4 24oz. bottles of Water (sometimes with crystal lite or K20, sometimes plain) every school day. Whenever I get a chance to pee, I always do (teachers get really good at that). I know it is hard to get the water in, but once you get in the habit, you get so thirsty if you don't drink all that, that you feel awful. Oh, and I drink another bottle or two at home later! I absolutely must slosh when I walk...LOL!

Nancy

Thanks for responding to me, Nancy. I spent some time on the internet today and I think mine's from pressure on the veins....called chronic insufficent venous or something like that. Not lifethreatening, but it's all my symptons and it's about my veins not getting enough blood pumped back up to the heart. Obesity is a major factor. And heredity. I think it's stopable and possible reversible. I'm seeing my internist Monday. This fits what the other doctors told me in the past, but it's suddenly much worse which is surprising as I've lost close to 55 so far. And I went to the acupuncturist today and he said he treats it and that it can go away in just a few weeks with treatment and special herbal teas. He's helped by me and my husband in the past, so I'm hopeful. Thank G-d I was banded before I did any more damage to my health. And maybe it's something else, but I have a feeling I'm in the right direction on this one.

See ya.

JoannMarie -

I slept sorta well the 2nd time because I wore the CPAP mask and the room was much much cooler.

My first experience wasn't as good.

My room was too warm and I tossed and turned and with my goofy restless leg syndrome I ended up with just a couple of hours for the techs to map.

Luckily they woke me up early - 5 or 6 AM and I was able to go home, shower off the gook and get a long nap in my own bed.

People usually sleep ok - but not all.

If you are an active sleeper - the wires are a nuisance - you can only spin in one direction.

If they discover sleep apnea - they recommend a second study with the CPAP mask.

Good luck.

Hi all:

I've noticed this topic doesn't get talked about all that much here and I'm thinking it's because there are countless forums dedicated to it. However I need to ask specifically regarding the lap band; I was wondering if anyone has gone through monopausal symtoms during the beginning of your banding journey? I am asking because I am turning 50 in March and missed my first period..(a good thing) But..I'm on a roller coaster ride....moods and appetite .I'm all over the place but managing to control some symptons with herbs, yoga exercise, antidepressants.

Just wondering though if I will not lose weight like I should or get too wacky not being able to eat like I do now (like I'm starved all the time or pregnanant or pmsing) being I am smack in the middle of all this hormonal turmoil. I know only I can answer this for myself but would truly appreciate any feedback regarding menopause and lap band weight loss. thank you in advance.

I believe it is menopause that brought me to the lap band procedure in the first place. (I should say I have always been heavy to begin with)In Jan of '06 I quit smoking, started weightwatchers and started menopause. I could not loose a pound to save my soul! I was exercising, counting my points, not smoking and watched the scale go up and up and up! My dr. said I was eating too much, I cried, he tested me for thryoid (its fine) I cried---but I didn't over eat, and I didn't smoke!! So crying was a good option! Then I finally said what the hell, I can't loose weight, I might as well stop waisting money at WW so, 30 lbs later, I was at such an unhealthy weight I looked into the lap band. my periods are still erratic although not as frequent as in 06, with the lapband my hunger is gone, I am finally loosing weight, and just to see that scale moving down instead of up is wonderful! I have always eaten a healthy diet, but I have always struggled to loose a pound, so when menopause kicked in, and the giving up of cigarettes, I think my body went into shock and didn't know what to do.....I finally don't feel that unsatiable feeling in my stomach since the lap band, and since my surgery on July 27th I am down 15 lbs....:) So the starving feeling will go away.........trust me! You will be happy you did it........I am! Good luck to you. Carol

Gwenn, could it be varicose veins? I notice I have lots of purply looking spots on my legs but they don't bulge out.

Sooverit, I think I am in the menopause phase. I had a hysterectomy years ago but they left the ovaries so don't have the periods to go by. But I was having night sweats, hot flashes, and some in my family might say mood swings :) it ws really bad about a year ago and I was also gaining weight. Most of those symptoms have gotten much better on their own, I went to the dr. a year ago and she tested my hormones and said I was in the change and offered hormone therapy but I opted to not go that route. Fast forward a year later, I got the band and am losing well now.

I had an excellent report at the dr. yesterday, just have to have an ultrasound of my ovaries in a few months to be sure they are still healthy just as a screening. He wants me to wait a couple months to be sure my incisions are all healed from the gall bladder surgery and also if I lose more weight they'd get better pictures during the ultrasound. I get to remain off my b/p meds and he was very impressed with my weight. And, I'm down 2more today!!! I seem to get stuck for a couple weeks then suddenly drop big for a few days and then get stuck again. Now that I am figuring this out, I hope not to freak out so much next time the scale doesn't move. It's like my body holds on as long as it can and then just drops a few pounds. Weird.

I went to W. Irondequoit and lived off of Cooper Road, near the HS.

definitely a small world.

I am back in town sometime in October. I graduated in 1972.

Sorry to say I cannot relate to menopause symptoms, Luckily I am well past that stage. even at 54. :biggrin:

I sort of sailed right past that time. I was on the depoprovera shot for other mfemakle issues so never had to worry about anything for about 4 years. Then when UI stopped the medication Bang, no more!!! I was/am one happy camper. And I know heredity had aplay in the issue to, seems the women in my mother's family were done and over with that before 50 :)

Elayne, sleep Apnea has several excellent support forums just like this one. This biggest obstacle for me was finding the kind of mask I could tolerate. A full face made me clostrophohic. The small ones with nose prongs are wonderful, but I can't seem to get enough air. The one I settled on was a mask covering just my nose. I'm not a mouth breather. I have about 1,400 hours under the hose, but it's still a chore when I use it.

A bad hip forces me to sleep sitting in a recliner. At that angle I don't have apneas (Breathing stops) so it doesn't impact when I don't use the hose. The rewards of sleeping with a CPAP machine are outstanding.

So I thought I'd try a half a sandwich for lunch today. My first piece of bread, thought since I didn't seem to have restriction it would be okay. NOT!!!! 2 bites and my dogs got the rest of my bread. Lesson learned. Now I know why they say no bread, but dummy me has to try it out for herself.

So I thought I'd try a half a sandwich for lunch today. My first piece of bread, thought since I didn't seem to have restriction it would be okay. NOT!!!! 2 bites and my dogs got the rest of my bread. Lesson learned. Now I know why they say no bread, but dummy me has to try it out for herself.

My son warned me about white bread. Try toasting it. I haven't had a problem with saltines, but I did make a scrambled egg sandwich, and you are right, no bread!

Hey, congrats on another 2lbs. I know I vented on the other thread about no weight loss, but after talking to my son ( he is banded) , I was encouraged. I am losing inches, so I should see that as a victory. :)

Isn't it strange how different foods effect different people. I have had no problem eating either white or rye bread. I've tried it toasted and made chicken salad sandwiches on white and have never had a problem. I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. I have had 2 fills and do feel restriction but luckily, I can still have a sandwich once in awhile.

My son warned me about white bread. Try toasting it. I haven't had a problem with saltines, but I did make a scrambled egg sandwich, and you are right, no bread!

Hey, congrats on another 2lbs. I know I vented on the other thread about no weight loss, but after talking to my son ( he is banded) , I was encouraged. I am losing inches, so I should see that as a victory. :)

For some reason a turkey sandwich on toast just didn't sound as good. I had been warned about white bread but like a dunce had to find out for myself. :cool2: Now I know why they say that. Luckily I didn't get stuck too bad and it passed in a few minutes, but it was enough for me to know not to proceed ahead with it.

Definitely inches is a victory. I haven't taken mine in awhile so need to do it again and am going to wait til I have a period where I am not seeing a loss at the scale.

I just signed up for a Biggest Loser competition. My clubhouse/gym is starting it the first week of Sept. The gal that works there knows I had surgery so I was upfront and asked if I could still do the competition and she didn't see why not. So I'm in. It goes for 3 mos I think, cost $20 and each week there will be a prize and a grand prize at the end. Also, I'm thinking my losses aren't going to keep up at this fast rate so surgery maybe won't matter so much anyway. Wish I could've used my post surgery (gall bladder weight) when I gained those 8 in the hospital as my start! :biggrin: Our starting weight will be taken on Sept 2nd.

Speaking of Biggest Loser I've been seeing previews during the Olympics, I love to watch that show, I get so inspired. And this time when it's on, I will actually be a loser too!

Speaking of Biggest Loser I've been seeing previews during the Olympics, I love to watch that show, I get so inspired. And this time when it's on, I will actually be a loser too!

You and me both! I am not a reality show watcher, but I do love that show... Until I started watching BL, I never realized after all these years of marriage, my DH can roll his eyes just like a teenager! Maybe that's where Tracy learned that skill! :biggrin:

Your competition at the gym sounds like fun - and you are a loser! Yayyy! :)