Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Sexy undies??? What a concept! :) I don't think I've evr owned undies that could be called sexy. Sounds like fun!

Hello! I have a question hopefully one of you will be able to help me with. I ate an apple last night and now I can't eat anything without feeling stuffed. Is there a problem with eating raw apples?

Frisky - I know you have been answered on this but try them without the skin - or take smaller bites and make sure you chew - I love plums and I have to make sure I take tiny bites and chew super well - they are very filling and I will eat them when I am hungry between meals (my doc allows healthy snacks)

Sip sip sip !!!!

hi everyone. i was banded Aug. 4th. I just got home from being in the hospital all day. i just want to warn you.....sip..sip..sip all day. i got myself dehydrated, i was having dry heaves soooo bad for 3 days, so very sick at my stomach. went to drs office yesterday and he deflated my band gave me a shot for nausea, this morning at 4am...dry heaves again. was in emergency room all day, given 2 bags of iv, and a cat scan. the good news is my band is ok. i will always have my Water, Protein drink in hand. i'm sure you all know to do this, just wanted to warn you.

Pj

PJ - yep you gotta get your fluids - I am glad you are doing better..

Have any of you had extensive bruising after banding? When I came home Wednesday, I had a small bruise next to each of the 2 incisions. Now 3 days later, one wound has almost no bruising, but the incision for the port has a bruise the size of my full hand. Is this normal?:)

Mary - I had a terrible burise on my left side after surgery but that's all it was - if you are concerned please call your doctor.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question regarding apples. I will go back to liquids for a day or two..I've tried to eat and it's not working out to well.' On the positive side....I feel wonderful after losing 50lbs! I am no longer pre-diabetic! Woo Hoo! Now if I can get rid of the oxygen at night I'll be in heaven!

Congratulations !!!!

Thanks! It was taken a few days ago. The other picture is a couple of years old. I got my long hair cut short about a year ago and started coloring it to return to the medium golden brown of my youth. That's all very nice, but what pleases me is that my face looks slimmer. :-)

Yes your face looks thinner :youcandothis:

I realy have to get on the ball and post my picture from October 2007 and a more recent one. I also cut my hair about 2 months ater banding and did the coloring and highlighting.. I needed a change and was amazed by the additional compliments for the change from friends and co-workers. We all are doing more for ourselves, appreance, physical activity and in our clothing. :welldoneclap:

It is so enjoyable to go into a store and be able to not go for the plus sizes. even buying "sexy" undies... even if I am the only one who gets to see them :)

Lynn at the one support group I went to - the lady who runs it says that so many of us cut our hair after we start losing weight... As for sexy underwear - I have 1 pair but I live in my body shapers - I don't like the feel of the loose skin or the way it gives you a muffin top - so I have a collection of Lipo in a box :Banane54:

Just being able to buy undies in beautiful colors would be a big bonus for me. I am so tired of white, beige and black!

Plz explain the body shapers, are those kinda like a girdle?

Yep like girdle's but not our mothers girdles - google Lipo in a box heres a link High Waist Brief, lipoinabox.comor spanx's SPANX - Body Shapers: View All Body Shapers: Hide & Sleek Hi-Rise Panty- flexe has some too.. I wear the high waisted ones - I turned on some of my lucky #7s to them when we were on our m of a trip - Peaches9 now swears by them..:)

I wore them at 250 cuz they helped the back fat issues I had - I am hypercritcal of my body - I look at so many pple in the world and think did they look in the mirror before they walked out the door.. I have a gf at work who is plump - she wears her clothes too tight and rolls show - so i try and dress to play up my good parts and play down my bad parts -

I am a big not what to wear fan...

:frown:I hate to read that all this is all about exercise. I went through this surgery on June 5. June 23 I had a DVT (blood clot) in my left leg. Was told no strenIuous exercise. I had my first fill July 30 2cc. It really hasn't helped much. I am relying totally on self control, which does not happen all the time. I am really having a hard time of this. I thought this surgery was going to be a magic tool, but it is overrated. I suppose if I really have to exercise that much, I am screwed.

I know things get harder to achieve weight wise when you are 50+, any suggestions out there? Did I do this for nothing?

mary, I would definetly call your dr., I am on coumadin (blood thinner), and I had very limited bruising. It may be nothing, but I would call just to make sure. vicki

:frown:I hate to read that all this is all about exercise. I went through this surgery on June 5. June 23 I had a DVT (blood clot) in my left leg. Was told no strenIuous exercise. I had my first fill July 30 2cc. It really hasn't helped much. I am relying totally on self control, which does not happen all the time. I am really having a hard time of this. I thought this surgery was going to be a magic tool, but it is overrated. I suppose if I really have to exercise that much, I am screwed.

I know things get harder to achieve weight wise when you are 50+, any suggestions out there? Did I do this for nothing?

Wanda

Sorry about the blood clot.. There are pple here who don't exercise and still have lost weight.. But IMHO the band is more than just a Portion Control tool - it's about changing your lifestyle for a lifetime which includes exercise.

As fat chick exercise is the worse 4 letter word in the whole wide world (yes I know it has more than 4 letters but you get my drift:lol:)

I am not a doc and don't know anything about blood clots - but I would ck with your doctor - is a 20-30 walk considered strenous exercise - just cuz you had one blood clot does that mean you can never exercise?? You need some direction from your doctor here

You gave only had one fill - and it usually takes more than one to get to your sweet spot (aka proper restriction) If you don't have good restriction when you are eating hard Proteins - then call your doc and schedule yourself for another fill. Your band is only a tool and it's not going to be working at it's full potential until you have gotten proper restriction.

As to the band is not over-rated IHMO it's not but it's not properly advertized as I feel that it doesn't explain that alot of head work is needed also..

I had researched the band prior to surgery and the ladies her who posted at time on this tread told me it was only a tool (they warned me not to think it was the magical cure to my issues with food)- but so did my surgeon so for me going in I never have relied on my band to make my food choices or exercise.

The only thing the band is going to do for you once you have proper restriction is going to control your portions - but even then you can eat around your band by always eating soft/mushie foods that are high calories (slider foods ice cream, cookie, potato chips)

On the exercise issue I didn't start out doing anything harder than walking 20 to 30 minutes on the treadmil doing a 25 minute mile... That was hard enought at 250 lbs - as I lost the weight the longer and faster I went. I only did the treadmil for the first 8 months then I got a trainer and now do weights twice a week and cardio twice a week -

But yes the band is not the magic cure all to our issue with food -

What you need to do is - schedule another fill and talk to your doctor about the exercise issue.. Make good food choices and if you slip up - pull up those bootstraps and move foward.. You can do this... You really can.. You just gotta get your mind into the game..

Hugs

Hi Everyone

I really love reading all of these posts. It seems like there have been a lot of surgeries lately and it's helping to read the experiences. I am getting banded on August 25 (finally) and it seems that I keep coming up with questions after all year of going through this process.

Does the port go on any particular side? I am glad to see that after only a few days everyone is feeling better. The surgery itself is not what bothers me the most it is what happens after - taking in the right amount of Protein, sipping slowly, eating slowly and chewing - I just hope that I can make all of this work. I have gotten the message loud and clear that the band is a TOOL but there is me who will have to use that tool and that's where my doubts come in. I just want this to be the most successful thing that I have done in my life and that is where my apprehension is coming in.

Thanks for all of the great advice I have been learning a lot.

sandi

Hi Everyone

I really love reading all of these posts. It seems like there have been a lot of surgeries lately and it's helping to read the experiences. I am getting banded on August 25 (finally) and it seems that I keep coming up with questions after all year of going through this process.

Does the port go on any particular side? I am glad to see that after only a few days everyone is feeling better. The surgery itself is not what bothers me the most it is what happens after - taking in the right amount of Protein, sipping slowly, eating slowly and chewing - I just hope that I can make all of this work. I have gotten the message loud and clear that the band is a TOOL but there is me who will have to use that tool and that's where my doubts come in. I just want this to be the most successful thing that I have done in my life and that is where my apprehension is coming in.

sandi

Hey Sandi - Don't cut yourself short - you can make the changes - heck you have been going through this whole thing for a year now... You can make the changes.. For me honeslty it hasn't been that hard - but again I had my "ah ha moment" when I decided to have major frickin surgery to get control of my weight.. You can do this - and you may have a slip now and then - but the most important thing is to realize this and learn from them...

Good Luck and Welcome our thread

Hello All, I found this thread just today as I am new to this website. I have a surgery date of Aug. 21 and have lost 12 lbs. so far on the pre-op. I read about all the goal weights and was wondering...how did you choose your goal weight? Did your Dr. make a recommendation? Weight at 21? Just wondering. Thanks

Hi to all the fifties group this Sunday evening. I think I had my first food stuck today. It wasn't bad but it was incomfortable. It was a bite of a sandwich which I did not chew well. anyway I hope I can get a first fill when I go to Dr. on Tuesday as I am hungry. I haven't posted here much lately because I have been posting on Janets thread mostly. glad to hear you gals and guys are doing well. For you new people, don't be afraid of the unknown. It is not that bad and eveyone imagines life with all of these new rules about eating. But it really is a good thing. gosh I feel b etter already and I have lost only 26 lbs. Yes, it does take some work on your own also but the band really helps you. I can't wait to move forward to the next 25 lbs. It also helps when you get alot of support and you can have all the support you want on this site.

I myself am very happy with my decision. I was having all the same thoughts as you were and we all have those thoughts. Well gotta go for now.

Beckyo:thumbup:

Hi Everyone

sandi

The new habits are very doable, just choose one and start working on it now. I got a bunch of baby spoons off of Ebay and started eating my yogurt with it every day. One day I picked up a regular teaspoon, and it felt weird!! All this long before my surgery. Then pick another skill, like tiny bites and paying attention to how much you chew. I see no point in waiting until the band is in, and doing total immersion when you can get your feet wet gradually.

As for the port, it depends on the surgeon. There are two bariatric surgeons in the practice that banded me. One puts it on the right, The surgeon I drew places it front and center several inches below the breastbone. I was careful to ask about this because the one place I didn't want it to be was on the left. Lying on my right side hurts my hip, so I wanted to have my left side available for sleeping on.

Hope this helps!

Orea

Hello All, I found this thread just today as I am new to this website. I have a surgery date of Aug. 21 and have lost 12 lbs. so far on the pre-op. I read about all the goal weights and was wondering...how did you choose your goal weight? Did your Dr. make a recommendation? Weight at 21? Just wondering. Thanks

I haven't talked to anyone about that yet, as it is so far off. I just made up a number for now! LOL My weight at 21 was 190, which is high for someone as short as I am. I figure I'll know it when I get there. ;-)

Orea

I picked my goal weight from my lowest weight when I was in my 30's which was 170 and that was after losing 40 lbs on weight watches & diet pill - I had never gotten lower than that - so that's the # I picked (250 vs 170 = 80 lbs for a 52 yr old chick was a good amount of weight to loses and again the most I ever lost was 40 on ww) Well when I got to 190 I move my go to 160 - made that on 5/8 and then wanted a normal bmi which for me is 145 - also becuz the statistic say that we (obese pple) are only capable of losing 50-60% of our excess weight with the band I wanted to prove them wrong - that we can lose 100% of our excess weight - what are they saying about us that we can't do it..

It;s a personal choice ... or your doctors...

Hi to all the fifties group this Sunday evening. I think I had my first food stuck today. It wasn't bad but it was incomfortable. It was a bite of a sandwich which I did not chew well. anyway I hope I can get a first fill when I go to Dr. on Tuesday as I am hungry. I haven't posted here much lately because I have been posting on Janets thread mostly. glad to hear you gals and guys are doing well. For you new people, don't be afraid of the unknown. It is not that bad and eveyone imagines life with all of these new rules about eating. But it really is a good thing. gosh I feel b etter already and I have lost only 26 lbs. Yes, it does take some work on your own also but the band really helps you. I can't wait to move forward to the next 25 lbs. It also helps when you get alot of support and you can have all the support you want on this site.

I myself am very happy with my decision. I was having all the same thoughts as you were and we all have those thoughts. Well gotta go for now.

Beckyo:thumbup:

Becky 26 lbs in 6-7 weeks is excellent - I am going to kick your butt for the ONLY word:lol: - you are doing great and you arent going to lose it over night - Patience.... You are doing the work - it will come off.. Hugs J