Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

That's why I brought this thread out of retirement, we haven't retired from life after all.
I'm an odd-ball, at an age some want to sit down and rock, I want to have my surgery and go on living. In 2 weeks I will have my RuN bypass and on December 26 I will become 73, never been 73 before but I believe I can do it and do it well.
So any,of you over50s want to pray for me , send me good wishes, do a belly dance in my honor, all would be great. In the meantime I'm here to be a friend to all. Live life, live it abundantly, and with no apology. After 50 we have little to repent of anyway!!
  • Like 2

Any more "50 and over" on this Fine Labor Day?

I can chime in. I’m almost 64 and been banded well over a decade. Very happy with my decision....

however... they’re are days my band is NOT agreeable, so liquids ( ok frozen yogurt or indulgence frozen) may help
I get through it , and it can still be frustrating because I can’t see it coming.
All and all, I delight in being 90 lbs lighter thru life. I find this world easier to negotiate at a “normal” size... whatever that means to each of us .
  • Like 2

Hi,

I’ve been banded since 2012. It was slow at first with no restriction and needed allot of fill. I finally got to a good place but added a little more and it got too tight but I loved the rapid weight loss . I lost about 100 pounds and then starting to infill they found a slip took out most Fluid and weight started going up. Then they found another slip ( I had no idea). This was in May and they took all the fluid out and have been slowly filling. As soon as it was out my body’s digestion seemed different. I never had gas and as soon as I would eat anything I would have gas. I’ve been really watching what I eat and volume plus increased exercise to walk/jog 3 mikes most days. The weight is just coming on line gang busters. I feel like where is it coming from is every calories eat is being stored to fat. My stomach doesn’t hurt but it just looks so big like it’s bloated. I’m getting so depressed. Just had another fill which I’m at 6.5 and still don’t think feel anything (possibly a little). Has anyone had similar body reactions? I’m not normally a gassy person and I didn’t have it after first slip but they didn’t take all out. I know I have or did have insulin resistance when I was at high weights. I am so sick of this body I said I would never go to again!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Shannon lee

Has anyone reading this lied about your weight just to get the surgery done?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Lucy81

I don't know what to do for my birthday being that I just had weight loss surgery I know that I have a lot to be grateful for
      · 1 reply
      1. iattcom

What would you normally do?

Instead of planning a meal, what about an activity that you enjoy.

If the weather is nice, plan a picnic and explain that you are not eating and will not be providing a cake instead if you wanted you could have birdseed bags that people could use to feed the birds or the ducks in a pond at the park where the picnic would be held. Everyone could bring their own lunch if they wanted to attend and you would only have to make little birdseed bags.

If nature walks are more your style, do something along those lines and just let everyone know that for your birthday you are planning an activity and not a party. There will be no cake and ice cream if that is what they are looking for, they can just stay home.

You could ask your friends to join you in a day of caring and you could all volunteer together somewhere either serving at a soup kitchen, helping at a shelter or a children's center or even a senior center.

• GreenTealael

I managed to finally break my old school manual Italian espresso maker... Is this a sign? 
      · 2 replies
      1. abefroman329

Of what?

2. GreenTealael

Of what indeed. I thought at first I should give up coffee, nonsense.h Then I thought I should go out for coffee with friends more. Then I thought I should go to Italy for coffee with friends and get a new maker...

• Naughty Glitter Goddess

Well, I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op and feeling really great!  I'm down 27 lb and 2 sizes since surgery and I got the all clear to start weight lifting again now that my hernia is mostly healed.  So excited to fit back in my cute coats for winter!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • dorijae2018

Hi i'm dorijae, and into my pre-op evals, still undecided as to sleeve or bypass, but thinking bypass.  Happy to see this support group.  Have read some of the blogs on surgery, etc.  
      · 2 replies
      1. 2shea

Welome dorijae2018, there are lot of supportive people on the forums, if you have any questions many are only too happy to help

2. Sosewsue61

Welcome. We are pretty friendly most of the time. Use the spyglass search option at the top of the forum page to find specific topics. We all decide on the type of surgery based on our current personal health conditions, what we prefer our outcome to be, and research we do. Some prefer bypass because they have consistent GERD, or fear getting it, some want a little faster initial weight loss, or consider it the best standard in bariatrics. Others prefer the sleeve because they do not want malabsorption of vitamins - particularly iron, want their stomach to have the valve and vagus nerve stay intact, don't want a pouch that can stretch, and lose just a little slower over a longer time frame. The real outcomes for overall weight loss is not much different in either surgery at the 18 month mark. It is a very personal decision and don't let anyone make it for you. Read and read some more and ask your surgeon a lot of questions. Good luck.

• Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs