Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

HELLO EVERYONE! I AM A NEWBIE. I AM 57 AND FROM JOHNSTOWN PENNSYLVANIA. I AM TO BE BANDED ON 1/17. I AM ON DAY 2 OF MY PRE OP DIET. SO FAR SO GOOD! LOOKING FOR FRIENDS ON HERE TO COMMUNICATE THOUGHTS AND INFO. THANK YOU ALL! :)

Welcome Rosey !!!

The 50's thread hasn't gotten much action lately since they changed the site ;0)

Congrats on your date - I was banded 7/17/07 (I was 52)..

If this thread doesn't pick up you can come join us on the I'm here to help thread - it under the Mentor thread heading...

Hugs - Janet

Greetings from another over 50 person (age 52). I live in the Dallas area

Would love to have an active thread for our age group.

I am a slow loser who is always looking for tips. I am actually going to meet with my physician today to go over my food and exercise journal. I know I have been following the diet and just think I should be further along. We shall see. When I reviewed my exercise journal I discovered that I have only been exercising 2x/week and I thought I was averaging 3 times. Good to know.

Greetings from another over 50 person (age 52). I live in the Dallas area

Would love to have an active thread for our age group.

I am a slow loser who is always looking for tips. I am actually going to meet with my physician today to go over my food and exercise journal. I know I have been following the diet and just think I should be further along. We shall see. When I reviewed my exercise journal I discovered that I have only been exercising 2x/week and I thought I was averaging 3 times. Good to know.

I'm still trying to get use to this new format. Hello, I'm Wendy and I've been going to the Dr here in Merrillville, Indiana for the past 4 visits (one per month) I have taken off almost 20 lbs. It's getting real close for LapBand time. Soooo excited!!!! As you can see I am also a slow loser. I did lose during the Holidays. It wasn't that hard. Your lucky you can exercise. I think I'm just plain lazy. LOL, I kind of hate it. Maybe when a few more pounds come off I will feel like taking a walk. To me you sound like you are getting it. Have a good day!

This thread use to be very active - it was my main thread when I first joined lbt 5/07 - I learned so much from the ladies that use to post here - but as time goes by you will find pple don't post as much as they use too..

If you 2 want you can come an join me on my Mentor thread "I'm here to help" Most of us on that thread are 50 + we do have a couple of young ones - but they are cool for youngsters LOL..

IMHO logging food and exercise is the only way to go ... I logged my food (I counted calories, pt grms - I weighed & Measured my food too) and exercise for 1 yr (time it took me to get to goal weight) - I read nutritional info on everything thing I ate and still do - if I want a candy bar - I know that a reeses Peanut Butter cup has 230 cal - so I figure - that's a meal - do I want real food or a treat - do I want to spend 30 mintues at the gym to work it off if I have gone over my calorie budget..

'Twas the month after Christmas,

And all through the house,

Nothing would fit me,

Not even a blouse.

16_10_9.gif

The Cookies I'd nibbled,

The chocolate I'd taste

At the holiday parties

Had gone to my waist.

10_8_9.gif

When I got on the scales

There arose such a number!

When I walked to the store

(less a walk than a lumber),

12_1_3v.gif 15_8_6.gif

I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;

The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese

And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."

As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt

And prepared once again to do battle with dirt...

I said to myself, as I only can,

"You can't spend a Summer, disguised as a man!"

10_8_2.gif

So, away with the last of the sour cream dip.

Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished

Till all the additional ounces have vanished.

I won't have a cookie, not even a lick.

I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie.

I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.

I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore...

But isn't that what January is for?

Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.

Happy New Year to all, and to all a good diet.

7_5_137.gif 7_5_138.gif 36_35_8.gif 7_5_141.gif

They have added a forum for us - let's post here... So we can share with the new people....

I think it's great having a site for our age group! I am 52 and banded on 1/14/11 and have lost 28llbs.........Yea :D Love being on the forums, have learned so much from reading other peoples post. Looking forward to meeting and making new friends.

Best of Luck to Everyone!!!!! Lori

They have added a forum for us - let's post here... So we can share with the new people....

Hello everyone. I was hopeing there was a forum for us 50 and up Lap Banders... Yay!!

I was banded in 1-19-11. I am still trying to figure this stuff out. Meals, when to eat, what to eat? I have my first check up tomorrow. They gave me very vague instructions, but I would love to know of other sugar free low fat food options and recipes. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone! :)

Sorry to say this thread really doesn't get a lot of replies - I started it - but am mostly on my mentor thread - Why don't you come to that thread - most of the pple there are 50+ have a few younger ones - but they are cool..

What is the name or link to the thread? Thanks!

Sorry to say this thread really doesn't get a lot of replies - I started it - but am mostly on my mentor thread - Why don't you come to that thread - most of the pple there are 50+ have a few younger ones - but they are cool..

What is the name or link to the thread? Thanks!

Here's the link http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/60884-im-here-to-help/page__pid__1571617__st__16980#entry1571617

Anyone and everyone who post here are welcome to join in - most of us have been together for 2+ yrs now - so don't let that scare you off - Like I said most of us are 50+ have a couple young ones but they are pretty mature...

Jump right on in - you will be welcomed with open arms....

'Twas the month after Christmas,

And all through the house,

Nothing would fit me,

Not even a blouse.

16_10_9.gif

The Cookies I'd nibbled,

The chocolate I'd taste

At the holiday parties

Had gone to my waist.

10_8_9.gif

When I got on the scales

There arose such a number!

When I walked to the store

(less a walk than a lumber),

12_1_3v.gif 15_8_6.gif

I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;

The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese

And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."

As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt

And prepared once again to do battle with dirt...

I said to myself, as I only can,

"You can't spend a Summer, disguised as a man!"

10_8_2.gif

So, away with the last of the sour cream dip.

Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished

Till all the additional ounces have vanished.

I won't have a cookie, not even a lick.

I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie.

I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.

I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore...

But isn't that what January is for?

Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.

Happy New Year to all, and to all a good diet.

7_5_137.gif 7_5_138.gif 36_35_8.gif 7_5_141.gif

Hi Phyl and all, trying hard not to get to the point of the lady that wrote this poem! Hope the New year is treating you well. The weather here in Florida has been chilly, but not like the rest of the country. I heard that one week in January we were the only state out of 50 that had no snow. Yipe! Working hard to maintain, here. I am at 104 down and trying to stay around that. I weighed in at 139 this am.

My next apt to see surgeon/doctor is not until March. He is more confident than I am. I have been having acid reflux,(gerd), at night if I eat too late. Finding that if I stay away from food after 7:00, I am fine all night. Take care everyone. And happy New Band year! Karen(kll724).

Hi,

So how are you doing??? My surgery was Jan 18th....weight off is kinda slow...except for when I just drink Protein Drinks period....but my Dr is happy. My first fill was a little weird though....I nearly passed out cause my port site is still hurting and I have a bruise on the outside of my body....gross....so they pressed hard for several minutes and shot the needle through the bruise to find the port; but then again, I sleep on my stomach. So....how is the weight loss coming along??? God bless, Cheri

Hello all,

I have still been going to my lapband Dr. In the last month I got felling sick enough to go into the hospital. Well, I was having heart palpitations and since this was a family trait, they stuck me in there for almost one week.

I am now with out a gallbladder, LOL. The stone was the size of a golf ball. So surgery through the belly button sounds like it might hurt right now. I was approved for my surgery at one hospital and now the practice is moving to another hospital actually closer to me. So they have to re-submit it to the insurace company. The surgeon who took out the gall bladder is the one doing the lapband. Just the way I planned it!!! At least he knows how my liver looks now. LOL. So just to let you all know the surgery will be in May sometime. I'm getting a lot excited!!!!!

I'm also trying to get use to the new format. I'll just keep coming on her for the next few days maybe if i write stuff it will sink in.

Keep on losing!!!!

Wendy Ann

Hi all of you. This is great. I had my 1 year Bandaversary on March 17. I was so very nevus about weigh in because my weight loss has been slow. BUT I was so very excited that I have lost lots of inches. I had my before and after photos and WOW. I am like alot of you. I did not have any restriction until January of this year. So yes "will power" was leaving the building until then. Now I still need the power of friends and this is it. Thank you so much for this new home.:lol:

Hello, I am 57, turning 58 in a few days, and I am in the process leading up to surgery, I would like to talk with someone who is about where I am, I have had my appt. with the surgeon and my appt. is scheduled with the therapist, I figure surgery will be in june sometime. I am not worried about the surgery itself, I worry about the long term effects of the band being in my body for years, I am not to concerned about the Hair loss, I have my pretty wig in place , just in case I should need it.:) I am excited , nervous and scared , I am hoping I don't back out. My son-in-law had the banding feb 28 , and it hasn't been all smooth sailing. The after surgery depression also scares me. I am on wellbutrin and have been for a long time, and once in a while I have to take anxiety medicine, but not every day. I hope to hear from anyone . Good luck to everyone.