Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

:frown:I hate to read that all this is all about exercise. I am really having a hard time of this. I thought this surgery was going to be a magic tool, but it is overrated. I suppose if I really have to exercise that much, I am screwed.

I know things get harder to achieve weight wise when you are 50+, any suggestions out there? Did I do this for nothing?

No, you did not do this for nothing. I am 55 and I never thought I would be in a size 10 ever again. I don't know how you got the idea that this was a magic cure though. Most people do not notice much difference with just one fill. If you feel hungry or are still wanting to eat a big portion, get another fill. You will get to the point where you can only eat a small portion and you will lose weight. If you hit a plateau, you will have to find some sort of exercise though.

:frown:I hate to read that all this is all about exercise. I went through this surgery on June 5. June 23 I had a DVT (blood clot) in my left leg. Was told no strenIuous exercise. I had my first fill July 30 2cc. It really hasn't helped much. I am relying totally on self control, which does not happen all the time. I am really having a hard time of this. I thought this surgery was going to be a magic tool, but it is overrated. I suppose if I really have to exercise that much, I am screwed.

I know things get harder to achieve weight wise when you are 50+, any suggestions out there? Did I do this for nothing?

Dear wanda, I also had a dvt last year from a heart procedure, and I am still on blood thinners and had a filter put in cause it went to my lung. I have very bad knees and back, so i am doing Water therapy. I don't think it is helping me lose wt, but i feel stronger cause I couldn't 36_1_67.gif excersize for a long time and really still can't. but I am hoping the band will prevail. I had my first fill on july 15 1.5cc, and have only lost a few pounds and I am very strict with the adkins diet right now. I keep hearing about the "sweet spot", AND am hoping i get it soon I feel like you, like I'm doing it on my own.... good luck to you, and watch your diet...

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNxdm117YYUS

Hi to all tonight, tomorrow is my Dr day and I hope I get a fill. Well I gotta say that for me, from June 13 until about a week ago, it wasnt hard at all for me. With the surgery and the new band, I really wasn't hungry at all so it was easy to keep my portions small. Now I am hungry and it isn't easy to keep my portions small. I am eating more than I was but I am still trying to stay away from sugars, eating my Protein and walking every day. I would just like to have that not hungry feeling again and am hoping for that with a fill. This whole experience for me has been great so far and now I am ready for the next stage of band life.

Beckyo:rolleyes2:

This is the link for the shake recipes I have been using. There are more than 200, and I have found a lot of them that I just love. I don't feel as though I am dieting at all, yet I am steadily losing weight. I copied them off and put them in a notebook. Variety is the spice of life! Enjoy!:wink2:

200+ Protein Shake Recipes

Hi Ladies,

Haven't been on here for awhile since I went back to work.

I'm holding firm with 35 lbs lost 12 lbs away from onederland. I haven't been under 200 lbs since 1978... and I can't help thinking I am going to mess this all up...Its been slow going for me for the last 2 1/2 months. Had gained back 8 lbs before I told myself that I was only hurting myself. Had to convince myself that I could really do this and that it is not just a dream that will never come true.

Have lost those 8 plus another 4. Its just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other for me. Its such a terrible struggle some times, most of the time but I am trying my best. Congratulations to all and good luck to all!!! wink.gif

So our old thread is completely gone?????

I like papaya enzymes better than pineapple juice. I carry them in a little medicine bottle in my purse. It's easier than dragging a little can of pineapple juice to a restaurant.

I have to take itty bitty bites too. I cut my meat as tiny as possible and chew it until there is nothing left to chew. Then I don't need the papaya tablets.

where do u buy your papaya tablets?.....................thanx.

Phyllser--hi, I'll have to check into Therabands, I'm not familiar with them.

Luvsrocks--ah, my twin!!!!! <G> The Y in the next town has Water aerobics--BUT--it's cold here and I can't imagine having to go outside after being wet. Really hate the cold.

I started using an exercise bike yesterday--did only one mile :D and again today.

After 14 days of Optifast and Clear Liquids, I then have 1 week of clear liquids and 1 week of full liquids---so monotonous!!!--before pureed, soft,progressive soft. My docs are really strict.

Trying to keep busy---took down all the Christmas stuff today.

I do water aerobics in the winter........and you would be surprised that you will probably not be that bothered by the cold. The exercises warm u up............and if you will take a warm shower and blow dry your hair...........will make u comfortable.

I get the papaya tablets at Walmart. They are good. They are sweet. You need to chew up about 6 of them though. it takes awhile to work, but they will slowly dissolve something that is stuck, unless it's a big huge piece of meat not chewed enough. I have gotten stuck on things I don't expect to get stuck on and have chewed well, and they worked great.

How much can you eat? I am surprised at how little I can eat now. I don't dare test it either or I'll be pbing. Mornings are tighter than evenings are for me though so I've just been doing a Protein Shake. I am just tickled to finally be having some restriction - things are finally working after 2+ years being banded!

I get the papaya tablets at Walmart. They are good. They are sweet. You need to chew up about 6 of them though. it takes awhile to work, but they will slowly dissolve something that is stuck, unless it's a big huge piece of meat not chewed enough. I have gotten stuck on things I don't expect to get stuck on and have chewed well, and they worked great.

Thats good to know - thanks for the advice!

23_34_2.gif Please be careful with the papaya tabs cause my m.d. said it doesn't know the difference between the meat you ate and your own flesh!!!!

you don't want it eating a whole in your esophogus or stomach...

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZNxdm117YYUS

oh, that is good to know. I haven't had the need for them in months though. I am looser since I got to goal and I am hoping I never need another fill. I can basically eat anything I want now, in small portions.

I can eat bread and pizza although I choose not to. I did eat 2 tiny pieces of pizza a few weeks ago and thanks to my band, I couldn't have stuffed anymore in there, no matter how good it was.

I don't want to get another fill and have issues again with food getting stuck.

Generally speaking, our insides, particularly our stomachs are protected by mucus membranes, or the stomach would digest itself! Papaya enzymes are very gentle, as you can tell when you taste them. I wouldn't worry.

The hospital course I took recommended it and even required I buy some along with my supplements before the end of the course. There was no warning at all about that. None at all.

I think someone was pulling your leg.

Orea

I had my first PB tonight. I ate a few bites of chicken at 6PM and was just fine! I had a few more bites at 9:30 PM and whoa!!! Got stuck and was in pain for over an hour. (gross alert) I slimed for the whole time and finally, brought the chicken up...twice. May have been more than a PB (you were warned, gross). Now I am not in pain, but my chest feels sore inside. I guess I am inflammed..? Now, an hour later, I am sipping tea.

Finally, the question: what do I do tomorrow? liquids? Clear only? Just soft things slowly? And of course, I am hosting a small dinner party tomorrow. "Would you care for the Chicken Parmigiana or...a sugar-free popsicle?"

Hi All i haven't posted on here for forever but I do stop by and read the posts. I got a message saying I haven't been posting so thought I would stop by before I was kicked off. lol

I had my surgery in Sept of 07 In the first 4 months I lost 68 lbs. Since then I have been up and down 4 to 8 lbs. I was so motivated when I started but I just can't get going again. I know I am doing everything wrong - carbonated bev's, eating soft foods, PBing because not eating correctly. I see sooo many of you doing so well and I get down on myself for not sticking to the program. At least with the band I have not gone over my initial 330 and I know without it I would be over 350 now. Also I am always aware of it so I can't give up. one of these days I will keep going down instead of up and down.!!!!:crying: