Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Lynn, who needs a new Dr???

Well it's less than 24 hours til my gall bladder surgery. I wasn't too nervous til the hospital calls and goes over all the medical history, AGAIN! didn't I just give them that? Anyway they ask things like, 'do you have a living will', 'who do we contact in emergency', 'what is your religious preference'. Such comforting questions the day before! YIKES!! But I know they ask that for everything, they even asked that when I had the ultrasound on the gall bladder. I was very frustrated as I weighed in today (Thurs. is the day I had lap band surgery) and I was up 2. No idea where that came from. Then I get the mentality if I can gain 2 by following the rules, I might as well have ________(fill in the blank) but I haven't. It's a struggle though today with having the gain, being nervous/anxious about tomorrow, etc. So I am cleaning house like a mad woman trying to take my mind off things.

Hi All,

Had my first fill yesterday. 2mls. They said my band can hold up to 10 ml. I don't feel much different today. I've lost fourteen pounds in four weeks and I'm happy!!!!!Wishing all you new banders good luck.

Skinny Grandma

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. I am a 57 year old female that is being banded on August 12th. I am so excited that I can't hardly sit still.

I have fought the battle of the bulge for 37 years (since my 1st child). I think I have lost and found 500 lbs. lol. My weight when I started the procedure in March for approval was 314. I am now around 302. Doing the low carb diet to reduce the size of the liver now. liquids on Monday, Surgery Tuesday!!! Whooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!

Vera

Stress can cause you to retain Water. Get off the scale!!! ;-) -Orea

Well it's less than 24 hours til my gall bladder surgery. I wasn't too nervous til the hospital calls and goes over all the medical history, AGAIN! didn't I just give them that? Anyway they ask things like, 'do you have a living will', 'who do we contact in emergency', 'what is your religious preference'. Such comforting questions the day before! YIKES!! But I know they ask that for everything, they even asked that when I had the ultrasound on the gall bladder. I was very frustrated as I weighed in today (Thurs. is the day I had lap band surgery) and I was up 2. No idea where that came from. Then I get the mentality if I can gain 2 by following the rules, I might as well have ________(fill in the blank) but I haven't. It's a struggle though today with having the gain, being nervous/anxious about tomorrow, etc. So I am cleaning house like a mad woman trying to take my mind off things.

Welcome, Vera! I'm newly banded, myself. :-) Wishing you all the best! Let us know how you do and how we can help.

--Orea

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. I am a 57 year old female that is being banded on August 12th. I am so excited that I can't hardly sit still.

I have fought the battle of the bulge for 37 years (since my 1st child). I think I have lost and found 500 lbs. lol. My weight when I started the procedure in March for approval was 314. I am now around 302. Doing the low carb diet to reduce the size of the liver now. Liquids on Monday, Surgery Tuesday!!! Whooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!

Vera

Long....."Be anxious for nothing....but in everything give thanks". I am just glad you haven't suffered an attack. It is all going to be okay. You are in my prayers! Let us know as soon as you can get on the computer.

Hi everyone,

I have fought the battle of the bulge for 37 years (since my 1st child). I think I have lost and found 500 lbs. lol. My weight when I started the procedure in March for approval was 314. I am now around 302. Doing the low carb diet to reduce the size of the liver now. Liquids on Monday, Surgery Tuesday!!! Whooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!

Vera

Welcome! You and I have some things in common.....I have had a weight problem 37 yrs since my first child and we are the same age and size. You will get alot of good info on this thread. Come jump on the bandwagon with all of us!:):thumbup::mellow:

The Good - :biggrin2:

Despite my consternation and rehearsed speech -

My doctor said Yes, Yes, yes

I thought I would go into cardiac arrest - my BP soared after his nurse said that ODs generally are against such intervention as Gastric Surgery.

He was pleased with my decision and promised to communicate with my surgeon at the proper time

The Bad - :)

My sleep study showed that I have definitely have sleep apnea (that's no surprise - just add it to my ever-lengthening co-morbidity list)

and aforementioned doc insists that I go back for the "CRAP" mask (who called it that?)

The NotSoUglyAnymore - :mellow:

Dr. McMacho has been re-christened - Dr. McNiceguy

The Good - :biggrin2:

Despite my consternation and rehearsed speech -

My doctor said Yes, Yes, yes

I thought I would go into cardiac arrest - my BP soared after his nurse said that ODs generally are against such intervention as Gastric Surgery.

He was pleased with my decision and promised to communicate with my surgeon at the proper time

The Bad - :)

My sleep study showed that I have definitely have sleep apnea (that's no surprise - just add it to my ever-lengthening co-morbidity list)

and aforementioned doc insists that I go back for the "CRAP" mask (who called it that?)

The NotSoUglyAnymore - :mellow:

Dr. McMacho has been re-christened - Dr. McNiceguy

Yeah, I have a CPAP mask and it is crap. I hardly used it and now with the weight loss ....I don't need it. Insurance pays some and I pay nine bucks a month. I am about to pack it up and send it back.

Janet- congrats on the BMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all- I'm having trouble keeping up with the posts right now, so please excuse me if I don't say CONGRATS on everyone's good news individually. Everyone's trying so hard and so many achieving what the experts would be shocked to hear.....women in their 50s can not only lose weight, but can lose a lot of weight and not always as slowly as they say.

Congrats to all of us on the daily struggle and the scale and non-scale victories.

Help !! I had surgery 4 days ago. Today I was allowed Soup, yogurt, slim fast, applesauce. I keep getting this pain in the center of my breastbone, it lasts a few seconds. What is that?? :)

I have the "CRAP" mask also. I am so claustrophobic it has ended up on the bedroom floor after about 2 hrs. I am a restless sleeper also with RLS. Both my brothers, one who is on oxygen with his, swear by theirs. They say they could not go to sleep without it on at night. I discussed the nonuse of my CPAP with the surgeon and he seemed unconcerned. I had given him a copy of my sleep study. He said with the WLS I should no longer need it.

Help !! I had surgery 4 days ago. Today I was allowed Soup, yogurt, slim fast, applesauce. I keep getting this pain in the center of my breastbone, it lasts a few seconds. What is that?? :)

I have that too at times. It is usually when I eat too fast or too much at one time. I assumed it was my "Bandy" telling me to WATCH IT. Sure hope this is it and not something else.

CPAP = Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. It keeps your airway from collapsing, and allows you to breathe easier! The settings are titrated to your needs...just enough pressure to stop the apnea.

I have one, I love it. It has made a HUGE difference in my life. My sleep study (over a year ago, way before weight loss) showed I was stopping breathing 77 times an hour, and my oxygen level would fall very low (most healthy people's oxygen saturdation is above 90%). I was literally sleeping sitting up on the edge of the bed, and getting up at least 10 - 12 times a night.

I now sleep soundly x 7 1/2 hours generally, and I woudn't even consider sleeping without it!! I felt so much better with it!! And, I did't snore so loudly that nobody else can sleep once I started using it.

Furthermore -- sleep apena can shorten your life span, cause high blood pressure and heart disease, and even kill you. I saw a study just recently confirming this. It's nothing to ignore.

I know some people don't like it, can't tolerate it. The more you use it, you do get used to it. Some days it can be annoying, but it's a lot better than not getting much sleep!

I hope someday to be off of it when I loose more weight. But for now, it's my best friend.

A doctor can't force you to use it...so if you refuse to use it or can't tolerate it, it's really only hurting you.

The good news is = weight loss will help! :-)

PJ

some of what you are feeling is due to swelling around where the over sew of the band is. Follow the directions your doctor gave you for drinking fluids. Go slow, sip. You might be one of the lucky ones that gets some restriction post op due to the swelling.

I too vomited once or twice in the post op period. Could also be related to the anesthesia too. As long as it doesn't keep happening, you should be ok. But get those fluids in!

Sue Stenzel