Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Actually Janet, I have been in the chat room every evening lately. It's fun to chat with other bandsters. I hop around reading posts, but don't post as much.

flying did effect the band for me. I had to sleep sitting up the first night. I was on liquids the next day. Just take it easy and see how your band is acting before trying any difficult foods.

This is the best thing I could have done for myself and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

I would like to join the 50 plus group. I am confused as to where this forum is. Please let me know what I need to do.

trish

This is premature as I don't even have a surgery date set yet -

but I'm so gosh-darn optimistic about this band thing and want to put my nervous energy to good use.

:cool2:

About the saggy baggy skin thing - Bellies, arms, thighs, etc.

What is your experience with this -

Can it be prevented - before and after surgery exercises?

Have many of you opted for plastic surgery?

My BMI is below 40 and I don't anticipate too much saggy baggy -

Heck - I've had 3 full term pregnancies before this weight gain and it never bothered me greatly.

To have waistline again and be able to tie a robe around the girth and not have my tummy enter the room 1 second before the rest of me will be in itself a dream-come-true. :thumbup:

And to wear sleeveless tops would be nice if the upper arm flippy floppies aren't too bad. Are there any ongoing exercises to keep this at a minimum?

Any feedback from anyone? :confused2:

Elayne,

Your last post made me think. This past weekend my family went to a Water park in the city where my son and dil live. I wore a bathing suit and swam for the first time in - idk - 10 years or more? It was fun! However, as I looked around at the people in the crowd, what impressed me is that -- well - first, there are VERY FEW people who look good in a bikini, but many who wear them. Second, I am much too self-conscious on how I look. There are so many people out there who are just as big and bigger than I, but they are strutting around in 'unflattering" swimwear. Especially including men!! I had a black, skirted suit to cover as much as possible.

So, ladies, why DO we worry so much about flabby upper arms and saggy skin? Don't get me wrong - I have thought about plastic surgery already, and I have a long way to go before needing it -- but need it I will! By then my belly apron will be down to my knees!!! (LOL) But are we too harsh on ourselves?

YES, after surgery and repair of a very large hiatal hernia, I now have a new one hernia, on the rigfht side, about waist hieght. Not all that big, but totally annoying. I see my lapband DR on Friday for a possible fill and my PCP wants me to discuss this with her. Thinks that it possibly is a result of the straining to get yup and down after surgery!! but who knows. I'll know more on Friday/ Such fun :cool2:

Elayne,

Your last post made me think. This past weekend my family went to a Water park in the city where my son and dil live. I wore a bathing suit and swam for the first time in - idk - 10 years or more? It was fun! However, as I looked around at the people in the crowd, what impressed me is that -- well - first, there are VERY FEW people who look good in a bikini, but many who wear them. Second, I am much too self-conscious on how I look. There are so many people out there who are just as big and bigger than I, but they are strutting around in 'unflattering" swimwear. Especially including men!! I had a black, skirted suit to cover as much as possible.

So, ladies, why DO we worry so much about flabby upper arms and saggy skin? Don't get me wrong - I have thought about plastic surgery already, and I have a long way to go before needing it -- but need it I will! By then my belly apron will be down to my knees!!! (LOL) But are we too harsh on ourselves?

Personally, I'm not too worried about it. I'd rather have 'empty' sagging skin, than the full of fat skin that was literally weighing me down. I will be healthier, I will still look better and I will consider the skin as a battle scar from where I came from and a reminder to never go back. It's definitely not a reason for me not to lose weight as I don't want the excess skin. And, if it's a health issue or really bad I will look into removal, but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

JoannMarie - Thank you for the compliment! :thumbup: At my age, I'll take them where I can get them. :biggrin2:

Indio - I am in awe of you. You are so amazing. Looks like you are living life to the fullest. Isn't it amazing how much energy and git-up and go we have when we start putting ourselves first and become healthy and fit. You go girl!

I was so glad to hear your biopsy was negative. Congratulations and continue on. You are an inspiration.

Thanks Nicnaknut....

I am just a fat chick talking stuff other fat chicks know about - I have always kept up on and read about obesity - I just never followed the programs for any lenght of time - I know all the excuses - yadda yadda yadda.. I'm just a person who tells it like it is...

I find for me - excercise is the KEY to my weight loss ... So yes if you are able to exercise - get it in gear - and Just Do It... :eyebrows:

I plan to join you 'younguns"..........(I am 69) - but there seems to be more activity here......... love the suggestion about pineapple juice - will certainly try it.

please..........will someone tell me: exactly how does a "sweet spot" feel? I know (after 3 fills and a 4th coming up in a wk)...I eat too much and can eat most anything (most days). But on other days (a very few) -- I choke up after a couple of bites. Why so erratic?

I have a lap band friend who can eat very little (she eats a lot of Soups and always has). I don't want that much restriction -- but need my appetite curbed more than it is...... so again: what does a sweet spot feel like....act like..."look like".........

grantp - Go to the top of the screen and click on "thread tools" and then click on "subscribe to this thread." Then on the right side of the screen under member areas it has "subscribed threads." If you click on this it will bring up all the threads you have subscribed to in the past. Any questions just PM me.

Sweet spot feels like you get full from a small amount of food and stay full for several hours.

I don't have any sagging skin on my belly or stomach. I do have some on my arms. I started with a bmi of 40. I do exercise a lot and work out with weights, and I think that helps.

Hello all,

I hope you don't mind if this "old gal" joins in to this thread. So nice to find people of similar age and with so many things in common.

I just joined a week ago and have enjoyed reading all the thread but just "found" this one today. I'm waiting to hear from insurance if I will be approved for LapBand....This waiting is horrible! I keep running all the scenarios through my head.....One minute thinking I will be turned down and the next feeling so sure I will be approved. Needless to say it doesn't do me much good as my usual source of comfort when stressed is food. Ugh! I am doing my best to maintain the 5% weight loss required by my surgeon before the procedure.....Surgery date is Aug 27th if the insurance ever gets around to reviewing my paperwork!

Nice to "meet" everyone!

When you get your food stuck, stand up and put your arms up. It will stretch out that area and help food to get unstuck.

Good luck to all the new bandsters! It's so exciting to see so many people in our age group becoming thinner and healthier!

Denise- that's a great bit of advice. I just tried it (I'm eating lunch and typing). I am chuckling to myself over what I'll look like in restaurants- people will think I'm starting a "wave"- LOL!

Harmonygirl,

The good news is that these days doctors can do thorough screenings and work with pre existing conditions. Good for your doctors for making certain you have all your bases covered. No question that losing weight can help with all of the medical issues.

I am thrilled that I was banded, and am very proud of the fact that I finally said "uncle" and got the help I needed. Having a band is not a cure-all or magic, but if you're willing to meet the band 1/2 way....you'll do great. Good luck to you.

Hi Southerngal,

I just flew to NY and back. My band is 3 months old and I don't know if that makes a difference but I had absolutely no effect from flying. In fact, flying last month was one of the biggest pleasures I've had since being banded .

NO MORE SEATBELT EXTENDER!!!!!!! WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!

I also don't really know what a "sweet spot" is, but I'm doing well without knowing. It's amazing. It's not that I don't get hungry, but it's just not as compelling now. And I cannot eat in the mornings, no matter how much they say have Breakfast and I've finally given in to my body and stick with liquids in the AM. So, is that a sweet spot? I think it differs from person to person. It certainly isn't when one is throwing up all the time or is confined to liquids. I find I can eat much more at night than during the day....don't ask me why...it's weird to me. But food is hard to get down during the day and easy at night. So, I'm calling where I am a "sweet spot" because I'm doing okay and that's pretty sweet. Good luck.