Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Sue, Thank you for your encouragement. Support and encouragement, from this forum and from friends, are what help me to do this, even when it seems impossible. I'm a stubborn old gal and I intend to get healthy, no matter how long it takes and no matter how powerful that "head hunger" can be. Amazingly, I never feel any body hunger.

Today, my a/c is out (82+ inside) and this is summer in Florida...yikes! The a/c guy is so overwhelmed (insurance, so I have no choice), that he cannot even make an appointment until Monday morning...ugh! So, I went to the mall, packed cheese, Water and almonds, walked a lot, saw a movie and I will probably do the same tomorrow. I'm gonna stay with this, even if it does get hot (oh, and it's a good excuse for a sf popsicle).

Sue, if I can do this, you can as well.

Good luck to us both!

Nancy

When I bend over I feel pain like somethings pinching me inside - it's by my large incision. It really hurts. Sometimes I don't feel it at all. Anyone else have this type of problem? Next post op is Aug 11th. Received band on July 10th - 3 weeks ago and I'm already on regular foods and I can eat a lot sometimes and other times I can't. Is this normal? Thanks

blk-weight.png

That is your port. It will be a sore for awhile. I was banded on July16th and I will get my first fill on Aug 21st.

Hey Ladies - You have been all quite busy - I know I haven't posted here in a while - I have been just busy - and barely have been on this last week or so (between my MofA trip - Work - DS visiting) I just haven't been on too much...

I gotta go back a read a few pages to catch up .. But just wanted to say Hi - That I was still around...

TTYL - Hugs Janet

Long: Good luck with your gall bladder surgery. Since you are having it done by the same surgeon that did your band, I know you will do well with it.

Again, I am in awe of how well everyone is doing.

Sadly, I had a big slip-up....:) Craving ice cream and found that Blue Bell no sugar Mooo bars are low carb and yummy....ok, I can have one occasionally and that worked out ok. Then the greedy part of me wanted regular ice cream, so I found Blue Bell no sugar added banana Split ice cream.....hmmmm, same carbs and calories, ok, I bought some. In only 3 sessions, I managed to eat the entire half gallon! I felt ashamed and sick (and it wasn't all entirely psychological). Now I know that "slider" foods aren't always just Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry's....even allegedly low carb foods can be dangerous for me. So if I want ice cream, I refuse to buy it in anything more than single serve portions (for some reason, I can ignore the rest in the freezer, until it is reasonable to have another treat).

I'm still doing the low carb plan, but rather sheepishly now....sigh....

Nancy

Nancy

You aren't alone in this struggle - here's what you do - if you buy something that you just eat too much of - I don't care if it's the sugar free low fat stuff or regular food - just throw the crap away and say better in thee than in me.. You don't know how many jar's of Peanut Butter I have thrown away - Too much of anything is bad - that's one reason I don't buy the 100 calorie snack pack boxes of say Cookies - cuz I would keep going back and 100 calorie serving would end up being 500 calories - so it defets the whole purpose..

If I know I can't control myself - I just don't buy it... if it's not in the house you just can't eat it.. That's always been my phylosiphy (sp)

You can't change the past - all you can do is learn from it - pull up the boot straps and move forward...

It's been a while since we have heard from Indio and Phyllser. I hope they had a wonderful trip and are working those bands!:)

BevDi - Thanks for missing us - I have been busy at work - then My DS came for a visit (Wed til noon today)- Had my biopsy on Friday - won't know til Tuesday - and just have been a little pooped. Going out tonite to see a door band that imitates Janis Joplin - but it doesn't start til like 9:45 heck that's my bed time :Banane34: but may just have to go to the club upstairs to get my groove on - we will see - if i have a couple of drinks the wild girl in me might just want to make an appereance :party: She has been locked away for quite some time...

Phyl is with her Sister's in NY - she doesn't have access to a computer on a daily basis - and she left her laptop at home..

If you guys want to see our pictures - go to the July 2007 monthly thread and look for MofA pic thread...

Ok gottta go figure out what I am going to where - this thing is outside and its hot 107 right now and at 9 it will still be 105... and it's humid here too for some reason...

Talk to ya'll tomorrow if I don't have a hang over :huh2::lol:

I have to live and part of living for me definitely enjoys food. I also have blue bell in the freezer (Birthday cake--yummm) I can eat about half a cup and really savor it. I just can't eat it every night or all the time. Ditto for chocolate chip Cookies. I hosted a couple of foreign students in July and made cookies from scratch with butter -- twice!! They were all gone at one sitting and many people enjoyed them. That's it. Life goes on and food is still in mine.

I read an article recently about American "cuisine." I thought about the lap band because I had these foreign students all month and they treat all the host families to their native foods at an International Faire. The article asked what represents American food? the consensus was Burgers & fries, Barbeque, Apple pie, fried chicken, and chocolate chip Cookies. The writer goes on to say we could have had the monopoly on fast food but we chose to export it to the rest of the world. Is it no wonder we struggle with weight and diet issues? At least misery enjoys company--now the rest of the world can join our plight!

janet it's so good to see you. I was afraid you were too busy on other threads and were going to give up the 50's thread!

I do very well with the 100 calorie packs. I have never opened up another one. Sometimes these I just eat 3 of these little tiny Walmart brand of Cookies that come in 100 cal. packs. It takes me 3 days to eat the bag so I figure I am getting about 33 calories and it satisfies my sweet tooth.

I have to live and part of living for me definitely enjoys food. I also have blue bell in the freezer (Birthday cake--yummm) I can eat about half a cup and really savor it. I just can't eat it every night or all the time. Ditto for chocolate chip Cookies. I hosted a couple of foreign students in July and made cookies from scratch with butter -- twice!! They were all gone at one sitting and many people enjoyed them. That's it. Life goes on and food is still in mine.

Maybe I don't understand your post right, are you saying in order to live you have to have Blue Bell ice cream? :confused2: :confused2:

It's because I want to live and live healthy at that, which drove me to have the surgery and avoid those type of foods. I will have the occassional 'treat' but that's very occassional, no more than once a week and only one thing according to my nutrtionist. Maybe that is what you are saying as I type this out.. Excuse me if I got it wrong.

Janet, Thank you for your encouraging words. I thought I was safe if I only had acceptable foods in my house, but clearly there are even "safe" foods that are not safe for me! I will not allow even sf ice cream in my house now. It is just too dangerous for me. I admire people who can take only 1/2 cup and leave it at that. I don't know if I will ever get to that point. In the meantime, I will only allow foods I know I can safely handle in my kitchen. Today, I am back with it full speed ahead....a nectar Protein Shake for Breakfast. With my ac out, I know I will go to the mall (but taking Water and a light babybell cheeseling, and 1 oz. almonds in a baggy) and a movie to cool off. I plan to eat some Protein (chicken or fish) in the food court, and that is it for the day. I feel so much better when I know I am in control of my eating and I plan to stay there!

Nancy

Hi, I have a question. I got a fill on Friday and ate a piece of chicken on Saturday evening. Didn't eat too much, but right away got sick and started throwing up most of the night with a stomach ache. I know I had to have irritated my stomach, but my question is what do I do that would help with the irritation? Now, anytime I want to eat or drink I tend to get sick.

If you keep trying to eat and not succeeding, you will just get more and more swollen inside and more irritated.

Go back on liquids for a day or two until your irritated stoma settles down. Then proceed to a day or two of mushies. Then start eating cautiously again.

Good luck! Orea

Dear Long2Bthin,

I didn't get that she had to have the ice cream...just that she enjoyed a 1/2 cup and it was enough to make her happy. She said it wasn't all the time. Just think, if we could all have a 1/2 cup of ice cream now and then- even a couple of times a week. We would then be normal, and probably at our target weights.

It's an interesting discussion, though. My BIL,who has lost over 110 pounds since banding, eats whatever he wants, just in tiny portions. And I mean whatever! I was just there for a week, and the kitchen was full of cake and crackers and Cookies and pretzels, etc. It was a landmine for me because I have an entirely different philosophy with the band. Mine is to go for heart healthy foods and stay away from the junk. He says his doctor concurs with his food choices as long as he's losing. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said perhaps it was the only way to get my BIL to lose the weight and that may be why his doctor condoned it. But it's not my doctor's view and definitely not for me. I do like a couple of tablespoons of frozen yogurt or frozen soy dessert now and then, but mentally I'm better off without. In fact, I count calories now- something I NEVER did before. I stay between 850-1000 most days. I'm doing fine and have lost 52 pounds over 3 months (I think I need to update my weight loss siggy today).

We may never be able to do this one our own- but we have this great tool now, and it really helps. As does the great support here.

I have a question. My surgery is tomorrow. If you eat something, slowly and not very much of it, what will cause you to throw it up? When you throw it up is it the same feeling you get when you are sick with a stomach virus, or just food comes back up like if you belch?