Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I agree to cut out the carbs. My doctor wants us to eat 75% Protein and 25 % veggies and maybe one fruit per day. You actually do need a little fruit in the diet for Fiber. No bread, Pasta, rice, etc.

Janet has lost well with some carbs (I think rice) but if your weight loss is stalled, the first thing that has to go are the carbs.

I lost weight very slowly. It was definitely frustrating but worth it just to stick to my doc.'s way of eating and eventually, all the extra lbs are gone!

Sunshine: I agree with several others that low carbs work best. If I have too many carbs, I get hungry and have cravings; the lower the carb count I have in a day, the better. I do add in a bit of spinach or green Beans or other low carb veg each day. I have a lot more than you to lose, and if I can do it, anybody can. I also live alone and cut up fish in small portions and freeze it, so when I cook it, I only have 3 or 4 ounces to cook. If I have guests, I can just cook more servings. Good luck, Sunshine, and keep us posted with your progress.

Judy: You have lost 47 pounds now???? Wow! Congratulations! I am still stuck at 43, but I'm not giving up.

Nancy

I am so happy for those of you who have surgery tomorrow. I am a week behind you and will be anxious to hear how you are doing. One thing I just don't understand: Why do people think they have to tell you about others they know who were not successful with the band.? Of course some are not successful, especially if they refuse to go for fills or follow the prescribed diet. After all, the band is only a tool. I look to this site for those who are committed and have success stories to tell. That is what keeps my spirits up and makes me sure this is the right path for me.

Hey,

Thanks for all the reinforcement of low carbs. Come to think of it, I've been having more carbs lately with the strawberries and raspberries and granola-type products (protein bars, etc) that I've been eating. While my calorie count is OK, I am just barely getting enough Protein most days. Perhaps I'll try to re-focus on Proteins. Could be why I've been hungrier/wanting to eat more even though not technically starvings. Hadn't realized that I slipped into carbs...Thanks for reminding us!

I am so happy for those of you who have surgery tomorrow. I am a week behind you and will be anxious to hear how you are doing. One thing I just don't understand: Why do people think they have to tell you about others they know who were not successful with the band.? Of course some are not successful, especially if they refuse to go for fills or follow the prescribed diet. After all, the band is only a tool. I look to this site for those who are committed and have success stories to tell. That is what keeps my spirits up and makes me sure this is the right path for me.

36_1_11.gif I am with you all the way MaryD, I watch for the succeses, to keep my spirits up and keep me motivated. lets hear the success stories girls!!!

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNxdm117YYUS

I am soooo there with you! I also was rewarding myself for having a loss at the doctor's, and not with jewelry! So, after reading a few posts here, I decided to do the 5 day pouch test. The first day went fine, although I tasted sweet all the time, no matter what I drank! Today, still the same thing, but so far don't mind sticking to liquids. Have contemplated maybe going to the next phase a day early, but we'll see.

This is a process, I have to keep reminding myself. I didn't get so overweight, overnight, so, it's not going to come off that fast either. But I'm further along than I was if I hadn't been banded.

Hang in there everybody! You're thoughts are inspirational!

Sue Stenzel

Hi Katarina! I see you. Welcome! It is very common for the second through fourth days to be more uncomfortable because the nice stuff they gave you at the hospital takes a while to wear off.

I've heard that our kidneys get stressed if we take in too much Protein all at once, so there is another reason to spread it out a bit.

General note: I'm finally starting to feel excited! Tomorrow is going to be like Christmas! -- With a little twist! :biggrin2: I'm down to my last few Optifast shakes, which is cause for celebration on its own, in my book. I can hardly believe it's finally here. It has "only" taken about a year. But at least I put that year to good use.

Orea

Good Luck, will be anxious to hear how you are feeling after.

" congratulations " too.

Hello Everyone,

I am just curious about what a portion size is. I go for another fill in August. I have noticed that I can eat more than I was previously. I am still steadily losing, but I think I am eating to much. How much is to much? My ticker line isnt correct. I have lost 71lbs now. I cant seem to update it.

Edited by odizzydori

I eat mainly Protein, then some veggies, maybe 75% and 25%

I stay away from as much carbohydrate as possible, no bread, Pasta and rice. I found out I cannot eat long grain,wild rice. I do eat crackers, but only a few at a time.

I have some of the protein bullets but have not tried them yet.

AS well as your body only absorbing so much protein at one time the same thing goes for Calcium. I take 2 60mg calcium tablets daily, but 1 in the AM and one in the PM.

Congrats to the newly banded and good luck to those heading to surgery..

Good luck to all the new bandsters. You will all do just fine. I am with all you guys on the carb thing. the carbs get away from you fast and you constantly have to think about it. I can't seem to get my ticker changed either. for the last two days I have felt queezy for some rason and i don't really know why. Anyways I probably ate less than most days because of that, but I did get my walk in and went swimming. I get plenty ofprotein in but the carbs just seem to slip in. I guess fruit is pretty much a no no.I put it in my smoothie when I make one but one day I put a fresh peach in and man I couldn't believe how many carbs when I went to daily plate. Today I went to Steak and shake and ordered a hamburger plain and a salad. I ate the meat, threw away the bun and ate most of the salad. I was full all day and I haven't had a fill yet. Some days I don't think band is working and other days I feel like I don't need a fill. Its strange. Glad to here Janet is back and can't wait to hear about the other Lucky seven gang and their weight loss journey. talk with you all tomorrow.

Beckyo

4_12_13.gif I eat a lot of veggies, spinach, cucumbers string Beans , broccoli, etc. is this a no-no, or is this an o.k. carb. i do not do any starches, bread potatoes, rice etc. but my weight is just staying the same. I bought the book weight loss and gastric adjustable band, does anyone have it and what do you think of it. I just got it today, and have not had an opportunity to read it yet. thanx, and good luck to everyone.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxdm117YYUS

Hi Everyone,

It's been a few weeks since I've been on and there are so many new bandsters! Still working on getting approved but I was wondering, if anyone has United Health Care, do you need to have a repeat of a sleep apnea test if you had it done two years ago. I have severe sleep apnea and have been using a cpap machine since then.

Any info would be appreciated.

Dear gottaluvme, sorry, I have medicare, i did have to have a apnea test even though i was already diagnosed and using a machine. good luck to you.

Gottaluvme,

I have been on the C-Pap machine for about three years now, and BC/BS did not require me to have another sleep apnea test for my upcoming banding. I guess it all depends on your insurance and/or doctors.