Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Thanks for the info - I am not looking forward to pbs so will try to be careful but we all know how that goes....

PLEASE explain to me what the pouch test is. I keep hearing it over and over. Thanks!

I'm doing the pouch test to "jumpstart" my weight loss. I know I lose in spurts of a pound or two or so and then stall for up to 2 weeks (yikes), but I thought it couldn't hurt. Today was day 3 and I had tuna, cottage cheese and tilapia....not too bad. Tomorrow is ground beef and shellfish. I do feel restriction, so I know that works. Maybe I just need to keep myself from being bored....:eek:

Nancy

Boredom is the pits. It s tough to keep on track if you are a snacker when bored. I keep myself busy with walking and being on lkine. I enjoy the LBT chat room. Fun and interesting and sometimes you get good info from other.

I have aso begun reading again. It relaxes me and is fun also.

Guess we have to find what is best for our own self to batle boredom

36_1_11.gif Dear Lynn, Thats great! I am so glad to hear your doing so well. and glad to hear there is hope yet for me cause I had a fill (first 0ne) on 7-15, and like you, I don't feel much of anything either. Good job, and keep me posted.....

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNxdm117YYUS

PLEASE explain to me what the pouch test is. I keep hearing it over and over. Thanks!

It's probably not a great answer but it's the best I have:

I'm not really sure it has something to do with kick starting your losses and not sure what else. It has gotten asked many times on this thread and folks have responded with an address, so if you go back a few pages of posts you should be able to find something on it, or do a search. I just don't remember what the website is.

Had a pretty good day here. My daughter bought a new car so I went back to the lot with her to pick up her old car as she is selling it to her brother. She got a convertible. I felt totally blown apart by the time we got there. LOL

Still no loss here in over a week. GRRRR I am as sore as anything from working out so something has to give pretty soon! Have a hair appt tomorrow and am thinking of getting a new 'do, not sure.

Lynn: I agree that there are lots of other solutions to boredom, but maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough. When I am online, or reading, it is easy for me to want to snack (head hunger), but when I have a strict outline of what I will eat, I follow that and don't think of food as much. The pouch test is helping me stay low carb and I've been cooking a lot (I guess that's what I meant about avoiding boredom, by avoiding "plain" food) too. Since school's been out, I have a lot more time to do housework and cook, and I am using these few days to get creative in the kitchen. I understand that is not what the pouch test is actually for, but as long as it works, I guess it's ok!

Nancy

Here it is, and it does work...check it out!

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

:DI am now officially on the loser's bench!. Surgery was fine. Nothing compared to the colon resection I had in 1999. I went in to surgery at 11 am was in my room by 12:30 pm and on my way home at 2 pm. I went immediately from recovery to a chair in my room and never returned to bed. After checking vital about 4 times, the nurse asked me to void my bladder. I walked to the bathroom and back without help, ate ice chips and drank Water. The nurse was amazed at my recovery considering she kept saying, "You had two surgeries. Your gallbladder and your lap band." She left to speak to someone and returned smiling telling me I had bought my ticket out of there. I was ecstatic as nothing is better than your own familar things to rest and recuperate. The hardest part of the whole thing was waiting from 7 am to 11 am for the procedure (surgery was suppose to be at 9:30.) They gave me pills for acid reflux and nausea which set off my restless leg syndrome big time. I was in misery while in the holding room, with them scrambling trying to make me more comfortable. Unfortunately they could not give me the one thing that would have helped, my medication.

I am doing fine tonight. I have sipped liquid all evening and am able to fend for myself. My DH keeps trying to help, but I can do it so much quickeras I know where everything is located. He is being so lovely and concerned. The only tiny problem I had was when I went to take my evening pills. My dr. told me I would not have any trouble swallowing them, so I took out the three and broke two of them in half. I swallowed the first half with Water and, of course, it stuck. I panicked and my poor DH kept wringing his hands and asking what he should do! Finally I felt it go down and was then petrified to take the others. I broke them up even more and poured the Nexium capsule (right or wrong--I was not putting that thing in my mouth) in a little Jello. They went down just fine. I have never been a paranoid pill freak before but I believe I have just developed a new case for a panic attack! lol Dreading the morning dose already. Do you think the dr. will let me quit them early (like tonight);-), Okay, that's my story. Probably need to rest in case the sh.....t hits the fan tomorrow and I cannot even get out of bed :eek:

I hope all went well for any other bandsters out there.

Orea, you will be fine. It really is as eveyone says and I want you feel the prayers of all holding you up on Wednesday.

Edited by BeverlyDiane

Beverly, I am glad things are going well for you. You sound like me. I kept waiting for the pain to come. After about 3 days, I finally decided there wasn't going to be any.

Beverly-- Sounds like your on your way! Some pills can be ground up (ask your pharmacy). If they taste terrible that way--some people mix the ground pill with sugar free jelly.

Lynn--You GO girl! You are just doing so well!!

Long2bThin--don't feel distressed. You have very good weight loss for your time into banding. Your body has lost a lot of weight and needs to rest.

I went through a stressful week at work. I wasn't too bad with eating but it does seem like everyday I ended up eating either a some starch or a sweet about 5 days out of 7. I didn't gain -- but I didn't lose either. Today I was back on track. One things I really noticed was how tight my band got with stress. I just couldn't believe the difference! Well---at least I know now that my band will prevent me from doing too much stress eating.

Diane, So glad to hear that your surgery went so well! Am anxious to see how you progress. Sending positive and healing energy your way!

Orea, Keeping you in my thoughts today and tomorrow of course! Positive and healing energy for you too!

Pat

An update on my process. My daughter and I are going to do this together. I don't know if it is possible to be banded at the same time but we have both decided that this is something we need to do. We don't have any surgeons in our area who do this type of surgery so we are looking at traveling at least 2 home, maybe closer to 3 hours from home. I had found a surgeon and a program that was a bit closer and has a great reputation. I called and made an appt for an informational session. When my daughter called, her insurance will only cover surgery at a Center of Excellence. So now am looking in the Pittsburg area for a COE. We will talk today and decide, there are a informational sessions coming up in the next week or so.

The other thing that i ran into yesterday was both the bariatric coor. and the dr's office didn't beleive that the insurance co told me that instead of a 6 mo. medically supervised diet that a 6 mo. or 2 - 3 mo. supervised diet (such as WW or Jenny Craig) would be accepted. They were like "I know this is what you thought they said". I have it in writing (email) so i dont' think i heard them wrong. So i've emailed back and asked for clarification.

My insurance is a national bcbs account, and out of Maryland. Anyone have any experience with anything similar? My biggest concern is, if i go on a medically supervised diet, my BMI will fall below 40, i don't have any co-morbities that i'm aware of, and then not be eligible for the surgery. I've always been a good dieter, but am not able to sustain any losses.

Gotta run, hope everyone has a great day!

Pat

An update on my process. My daughter and I are going to do this together. I don't know if it is possible to be banded at the same time but we have both decided that this is something we need to do. We don't have any surgeons in our area who do this type of surgery so we are looking at traveling at least 2 home, maybe closer to 3 hours from home. I had found a surgeon and a program that was a bit closer and has a great reputation. I called and made an appt for an informational session. When my daughter called, her insurance will only cover surgery at a Center of Excellence. So now am looking in the Pittsburg area for a COE. We will talk today and decide, there are a informational sessions coming up in the next week or so.

The other thing that i ran into yesterday was both the bariatric coor. and the dr's office didn't beleive that the insurance co told me that instead of a 6 mo. medically supervised diet that a 6 mo. or 2 - 3 mo. supervised diet (such as WW or Jenny Craig) would be accepted. They were like "I know this is what you thought they said". I have it in writing (email) so i dont' think i heard them wrong. So i've emailed back and asked for clarification.

My insurance is a national bcbs account, and out of Maryland. Anyone have any experience with anything similar? My biggest concern is, if i go on a medically supervised diet, my BMI will fall below 40, i don't have any co-morbities that i'm aware of, and then not be eligible for the surgery. I've always been a good dieter, but am not able to sustain any losses.

Gotta run, hope everyone has a great day!

Pat

I'm sure you can get your surgerys done together, or at least one after the other. My surgeon only took about 1/2 hr per pt. and did about 20 of us the same morning. I guess not all surgeons do it like that, but mine did.

Good luck to both of you, I totally understand about being a dieter but not keeping it off.

later, Joanie :eek:)