Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on this site for a while because I was rejected before I even got started. I'm so devastated. I received my 5 year weight loss history from my doctor and I was obese for two years and severely obese for three years. I didn't realize you had to be "morbidly" obese in order to get approved. I think this is totally unfair since I have all the same health issues all the morbidly obese people do. I have severe sleep apnea, awful pain in my knees, ankles and feet, I'm on meds for acid reflux, I have 0 self esteem which causes stress, anxiety, and depression, I can only do about 10 minutes of housework at a time due to severe lower back pain, and a fatty liver. I've been on every diet known to man which is why my history isn't accurate. One minute I'm 225, a few months later I'm 190 but then I'm right back up there in another few months from that. Being shot down right from the get go has left me so depressed and hopeless. Well, I sat down and wrote my insurance co (United Health Care) a two page letter and poured my heart out. I think I gave them some pretty good arguments and I'm praying whoever reads it has a heart. Have any of you had a similar case? I started out so excited and hopeful, I even started sampling Protein Drinks and practiced chewing the right way to prepare for post op. I'm broken hearted and hopeless. thanks for listening.

I agree it's not fair and as others prob said already ..go to obesitylaw.com to appeal your decision. It's really a shame that the insurance companies want people to wait till there really sick before helping them. Just terrible.

Wow you are prepared. All I went with were the clothes on my back. LOL Oh and they told me I needed my photo ID (I'm sure there's lots of imposters wanting to have surgery LOL). so I brought that and they never asked for it. I didn't stay overnight though.

lol @ imposters

or...a whatchamacallit...lol

Oh... I thought only mechanics were allowed to use that one. and maybe orthopedic surgeons...

(oops. I'm the one who will be needing knee surgery. I should be more careful. No offense)

Some people are released the same day. I don't know how this decision is made, but my surgeon seems to prefer to keep us overnight.

The laparoscopic procedure will change if the surgeon has a problem doing it that way, for example if your liver is too big and fatty, or you have lots of adhesions from previous surgeries. This is why it is so important to adhere to preop diet instructions! There is a lot at stake. If an emergency occurs, they may switch to an open procedure, too.

Hope this helps. I'm off to have more Optifast. ;-)

Orea

I had to initial the paperwork giving permission for a laparatomy, but inspite of all my adhesions he was able to do laparascopic. I did stay overnight for observations. Anyway, I couldn't urinate because of all the drugs so it was a good thing i stayed. I left in the early afternoon. My insurance paid for it.

I wore a MOO MOO and it was the perfect thing to wear. Be sure and take a gown and robe. I used the robe when I walked and I walked every two hours. It helps with the gas. Then I took a gown and used it the next day. I wore my MOO MOO home. I waited almost five hours in my room before surgery, so taking something to read might be a good idea. I was told to bring my own meds and I took them the next morning. This was about the easiest surgery I have had. I had one pain shot and when I came home I think I tood liquid Tylenol twice. You need that and Gas-x strips when you get home. I also take pepcid so I bought chewable pepcid.

I hope your experience is as good as the one I had. I wish Y'all a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. You will be in my prayers.

Good luck to all having surgery this week

Things to have ready at home

Gas-X

Heating pad - this helps elleviate some of the discomfort from gas.

pillow - to hold on stomach if you cough

I slept sitting up for the first few days at home. getting up out of bed was painful.

I was off work for 3 weeks. My doctor said minimum of 2 weeks.

I stayed over night and most of the next day. I was unable to pee and they would not let me leave until I did. But the e ntire stay was covered by insurance

So much reading since last night!!! Hopefully all of us are being helpful to others and answering questions, but remember every doctor has their own routine and requirements for post surgery plans, so listen to your DR and follow their guidelines.

Good luck to all having surgery this week

Things to have ready at home

Gas-X

Heating pad - this helps elleviate some of the discomfort from gas.

pillow - to hold on stomach if you cough

I slept sitting up for the first few days at home. getting up out of bed was painful.

I was off work for 3 weeks. My doctor said minimum of 2 weeks.

I stayed over night and most of the next day. I was unable to pee and they would not let me leave until I did. But the e ntire stay was covered by insurance

So much reading since last night!!! Hopefully all of us are being helpful to others and answering questions, but remember every doctor has their own routine and requirements for post surgery plans, so listen to your DR and follow their guidelines.

Me too.....I slept in a recliner for the first week. It is hard to sleep in a bed . I needed a pillow for coughing, but more for protection from my puppy jumping in my lap. Your right, all Drs have their on protocol. It's best to follow their orders.

15_9_27.gif 36_1_77.gif

I agree it's not fair and as others prob said already ..go to obesitylaw.com to appeal your decision. It's really a shame that the insurance companies want people to wait till there really sick before helping them. Just terrible.

SOOVERIT, how tall are you? I am 5'2" and I am 229lbs, my bmi is 41 and I am concidered morbidly obese, also have high blood pressure and diabetic. my Dr said I am a prime candidate for the band and my insurance pays 100% I have military insurance Tricare Prime. My heart goes out to you and I hope you get your surgery.I edited this post cause i put in extra word. my ins is a wonderful ins. i took out the "but i have military ins" hey it is paying 100% except for a few $12 co-pays I am cruising

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZUxdm486MQUS

Edited by carolynfletcher

Carolyn you are just about where I started and I am 5'2" too.

Welcome to bandland. Hope you get your surgery soon.

I LOVE this support group!! Thank you, everyone, for all the encouragement and great tips. I got my band 9 days ago and I am still drinking protien shakes (with a little Soup in between). I think that I've lost 8-9 pounds so far..........

I go walking everyday for at least 20 minutes (more when I have the time). It really helped with the gas right after surgery. Looking forward to being able to get back into a regular exercise routine. I used to go to CURVES at least 3 times a week.

I am interested in finding out more about what you are allowed to eat when you get back to solid foods. I read that you don't really lose until then. Is that true?

Also- Is there a local support group that meets on a regular basis for lap-banders? I live in Hammond, LA.

Later, band-mates!!

I LOVE this support group!! Thank you, everyone, for all the encouragement and great tips. I got my band 9 days ago and I am still drinking protien shakes (with a little Soup in between). I think that I've lost 8-9 pounds so far..........

I go walking everyday for at least 20 minutes (more when I have the time). It really helped with the gas right after surgery. Looking forward to being able to get back into a regular exercise routine. I used to go to CURVES at least 3 times a week.

I am interested in finding out more about what you are allowed to eat when you get back to solid foods. I read that you don't really lose until then. Is that true?

Also- Is there a local support group that meets on a regular basis for lap-banders? I live in Hammond, LA.

Later, band-mates!!

Hi Debsta,

Welcome to the fifties group. Technically I don't belong here - passed up the fifties a few years ago - but people are kind enough to let me hang around. It truly is a very supportive group of people and I enjoy hearing from them every day.

As far as a support group in your area, you might go back several threads to the Lap-Band Support Groups thread. In there you will find a section for local groups based on the state they live in. You will find a thread for Louisiana, and may find a LBTalk group that can help you find what you are looking for. Does your surgeon's office have a group affiliated with them? Many of them do. You might have to dig a little, but what's new? Many of us have had to do that just to find the surgeon that works out best for us.

Meanwhile, we are always here... Good luck.

Doohickey... Ladies, I'm pretty sure you have to be a medical professional to use that term.

ROFL! Well I used to want to be a doctor back in the dark ages, and my handwriting is bad enough to qualify me... ;-)

Good Luck to both Orea and Dianne! It is soooooo worth it. I needed to buy a special outfit for a work dinner in August. Prior to surgery I was a 22-24 so I was looking in the plus dept yesterday. Finally after everything I tried on was too big, I sort of tippy toed into the Normal Peoples' size dept. Oh my God, tried on a 16, thought it was okay, my sister said, "wait, that's too big".....got a SIZE 14 gorgeous suit.

Orea and Dianne it is a wonderful feeling.....No more cholesterol problems and good bye Type II diabetes......who can ask for more?

Your in my prayers and thoughts! The worst part of the procedure is the THIRST until the doc lets you drink Water. At least for me.

Good Luck to both Orea and Dianne! It is soooooo worth it. I needed to buy a special outfit for a work dinner in August. Prior to surgery I was a 22-24 so I was looking in the plus dept yesterday. Finally after everything I tried on was too big, I sort of tippy toed into the Normal Peoples' size dept. Oh my God, tried on a 16, thought it was okay, my sister said, "wait, that's too big".....got a SIZE 14 gorgeous suit.

Orea and Dianne it is a wonderful feeling.....No more cholesterol problems and good bye Type II diabetes......who can ask for more?

Your in my prayers and thoughts! The worst part of the procedure is the THIRST until the doc lets you drink Water. At least for me.

Ohhh...I long for that day when I can wear normal sizes! I'm happy now just to be into REGULAR plus sizes instead of extended!! :-)

And Ditto to Orea & Dianne -- for quick and easy recoveries! I hve to say, I only had a couple days of feeling sore, and it was really not bad at all! I took 2 weeks off, but could have easly gone back to my desk job after one. The part that's hard when you go back towork, is that you can't focus on getting in enough foods/fluids and resting whenever you feel like it -- scuh tiny meals and frequently, didn't fit in with the demands of a work day - so I was glad to have the extra week off. I got lots of cleaning and wash done around the house during my time off! And the dogs got lots of walks. Hope you can enjoy it too!