Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I am an old banster but a new poster. I am also over 50. I was banded in 04 and have lost and gained 10 lbs. I had learned to eat around the band because I pbed so much and could not get my doctor to care about my lack of loosing and food choices. He said it was all my fault why this did not work and I should have tried a different surgery. It has been 4 years for my head to get together with my body and use this band for what it was intended for. I am interested in talking with those that have had struggles but have overcome them and what worked. I have had breast cancer and overcame it so I figure I can do it with this. Any suggestions on how to get started? My restriction is very low so will be hungry. I might even have slippage but am working with it. Thanks for your help.

Welcome! If you will go back in the thread you will find where Phyllser was talking about a POUCH TEST. It basically takes you back to eating habits when you first were banded. It will help get you back on track. I was just banded last week and I am finding the "head hunger" is a major part of my overeating.....harder than actual hunger. IF you are mentally up for it....you will succeed. YOU will get support here.:)

Welcome! If you will go back in the thread you will find where Phyllser was talking about a POUCH TEST. It basically takes you back to eating habits when you first were banded. It will help get you back on track. I was just banded last week and I am finding the "head hunger" is a major part of my overeating.....harder than actual hunger. IF you are mentally up for it....you will succeed. YOU will get support here.:thumbup:

Interesting, as I just sent the link for the 5 day pouch test to a friend, and I am going to start it tomorrow. I want to be sure I am in tune with my pouch and my body; after reading about the test, it sure won't hurt me and might actually help! The link I sent my friend is:

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

Good luck!

Nancy

I wish chocolate was never invented. It is the one thing that always causes me temptation problems. I actually need to tell myself I am on a diet even though Janet says this is not a diet. When I tell myself that, I remember I can't eat anything I want.

By the way, where is Janet?

I got this from my mentor, but I wish I thought of the line myself:

I'm allergic to chocolate; it makes me break out into rolls of fat.

Orea :thumbup:

Just back from vacation. It wa wonderful to relax and just do whatever I wanted. I did make ome poor food choices, but will admit to them.

Now time to get back on track. I go to my PCP on Monday and will see how my weight loss ha been since seeing her one month ago.

Reading about the 5 day pouch test, makes me think it is a good thing for me. I head to the surgeon on 8/8 for a posible 3rd fill and also to dicu urgery for a hernia. this titme on my right side. I had a terribly large one repaired during lapband urgery, but thi one i new. not sure if it came from the urgery or was jsut something that ha popped up since. I know it was not there last year as I had a coplete abdominal CT scan done last June....

Always something to keep us back at a DR office.

I have finally caught up on all the post. everyone has had o much to say and I know I cannot respond to all

I had my gll bladder removed about 4 yeard ago. and was glad to have it done. I had one small "attack" and my DR ent me off to the surgeon. Even though I did not have a bad attack he was anxiou to remove it, after surgery he tod me it was a good thing I did not wait any longer. It was a me and he almost had to cut me open to remove it, even though he started out doing it laprocopically. so my input to getting it removed, is YES, do it now...

The thought of another surgery so oon after banding i a concern. I will have that discusion with my urgeon when we talk about this hernia

Glad to ee everyone is doing well and hello to all the new poteres. Welcome

well off to do laundry and get things back in order here at home. Do I have to go back to work on Monday???

I wish chocolate was never invented. It is the one thing that always causes me temptation problems. I actually need to tell myself I am on a diet even though Janet says this is not a diet. When I tell myself that, I remember I can't eat anything I want.

By the way, where is Janet?

Me too!! don't like chocolate, would've saved me the awful kindergarten memories being forced to drink my chocolate milk and gagging and throwing up! LOL

Janet is in Minnesota with some of her Lucky 7 mates for LBT this weekend.

Hi everyone,

Okay, Monday is the big day and I am feeling nervous. I have been moody and irritable all day. I'll be lucky if my DH will even go to the hospital with me after baring the brunt of my tongue today! :w00t: He left early from lunch to go back to work and I told him, "That's fine, you'll still have to put up with me tonight." He actually laughed! I didn't know whether to be mad or glad.

I WILL be happy to have this behind me. I really do want to have this new beginning, I just want it over like everyone else who is doing this or has. I hope all have a good weekend (mine will probably be sleepless :thumbup:.) Blessings.

Hi everyone,

Okay, Monday is the big day and I am feeling nervous. I have been moody and irritable all day. I'll be lucky if my DH will even go to the hospital with me after baring the brunt of my tongue today! :w00t: He left early from lunch to go back to work and I told him, "That's fine, you'll still have to put up with me tonight." He actually laughed! I didn't know whether to be mad or glad.

I WILL be happy to have this behind me. I really do want to have this new beginning, I just want it over like everyone else who is doing this or has. I hope all have a good weekend (mine will probably be sleepless :thumbup:.) Blessings.

Ahh, you'll be fine. I freaked out a little about 2 days before my surgery too. By the day before I had a real calm about me. I just reminded myself that it was normal to be scared and nervous, however, I made this decision with much thought, research etc. when I was in a much more rational state of mind and that helped me a lot.

Looks like we have at least 2 going in for their big days this week - Dianne on Monday and Orea on Wednesday. If I am forgetting anyone else I apologize - memory, you know. It's an exciting week for you and I am just a teensy bit envious right now. I'll be happy when all my waiting is over. However, I know I'll be nervous, too. You just don't make a life change like this without some concern. I congratulate you both - and all the rest of the bandpeople around here. You are great!

Thanks! I was nervous a while ago, but I am confident and looking forward to getting this done. I have complete confidence in my very experienced surgeon and the wonderful bariatric staff at the hospital. Everyone I have met there has been well educated about our needs and kind and helpful.

I'm really ready to get this show on the road -- as soon as I finish packing! LOL

Orea

Hey Everybody!!!!

Been reading for the last 2 hrs. Everyone sure has been busy. Just got back from a week in Key West! Boy was it HOT!!! DH and I took our DS, DIL,and all 4 grans!!! What were we thinking???? But really we had a great time, stayed at the Hyatt Windward Pointe, it was just beautuful... I swam with the kids every day, something I would never have done before losing 50+ pounds... The great news is that I lost 5 pounds!!!! Probably Water from the heat, but who cares as long as I don't gain.

It's good to be home, only now I have to go back to work Monday :thumbup:

Hi all;

I haven't been posting much but have been reading faithfully. I like the 5 Day Pouch Test idea and am going to do it.

I was frustrated at not losing for the last week and half. Lo and behold, it appears I have been eating too much salt! I went on a modified Medifast diet and the pounds are coming off.

I love Medifast! It really works for me. I like the shakes and the bars. Even though I gained back all the weight I lost on it before my band, I still like the food. So I'll use that for the pouch test. And get this weight loss moving again!

Best to all

Sadie

Sadie

I have a bunch of Unjury Protein that I hate but if someone on this board likes it, email me and I'll give you a great deal on it.

I will never use it and would rather one of my over 50 compadres get it cheap! Email me and I'll send you a list of what I have. Marilyn3850@yahoo.com

Sadie

Good luck Orea and Beverly. Soon you'll be in bandland. Bandland is happy land. I hope both of you have as easy a recovery time as I had.

Good luck to Orea and Dianne. I am right behind you (August 6th banding date), and I will be very interested in hearing about your recovery and progress. Keep posting!

Edited by MaryD
spelling error