Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Not totally sure what the sweet spot will feel like. right now I am doing pretty good, but think a little mjore restriction will be the key. I go to the DR this friday and am asking her how much fill is in my band, I know it is a 14cc, and think there is about 5 or6 cc in it, but not sure. so am interested in finding out how much is actually there.

I kjnow that no matter what size band you have, everyone is different as to where their sweet spot is.

going out tonight with the girls. dinner and a movie chinese and "Mama Mia", looking forward to a fun evening

Not totally sure what the sweet spot will feel like. right now I am doing pretty good, but think a little mjore restriction will be the key. I go to the DR this friday and am asking her how much fill is in my band, I know it is a 14cc, and think there is about 5 or6 cc in it, but not sure. so am interested in finding out how much is actually there.

I kjnow that no matter what size band you have, everyone is different as to where their sweet spot is.

going out tonight with the girls. dinner and a movie chinese and "Mama Mia", looking forward to a fun evening

I don't know what it feels like yet either. But know I'm not there, as I am hungry too much. And to second that everyone is different. A friend I met online here but now also in person, has my same surgeon. She was banded in Nov. me in June. We both got 14cc bands. She got a 3cc fill at time of surgery, I got 4cc. My fills now total 7.5cc's and she was also just at 7.5 9 mos. out after several fills and lost 100 lbs., however needed some of that 7.5 taken out as she was too tight. So she's too tight and I'm not tight enough with the same amount of a fill. I'm at that in 2 mos, and her in 9mos. so there is no comparison. We are all so different.

Hi 50+ gals, I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar after their surgery. I am 5 days post-op and experiencing shortness of breath. I had my surgery in Colorado and was sent home on oxygen because my oxygen level would not return to normal in recovery. The next day on my post-op check the surgeon said it was normal and that I could discontinue the O2. I am back in Florida where I live and thought the altitude might have been a problem, but that wasn't it either. I read somewhere that with the post surgery swelling, the band can rub on your diaphragm and cause shortness of breath. Has anyone else heard of this. I just pray with each passing day that it gets better. The incisions are starting to feel a little better, but still sore. How long does it take to feel normal again? I don't have much appetite yet, which is good. I am down 10 pounds now and even liquids fill me up quickly and my band is wide open. Any info that anyone out there has would be appreciated. Take care!!!

I don't know what it feels like yet either. But know I'm not there, as I am hungry too much. And to second that everyone is different. A friend I met online here but now also in person, has my same surgeon. She was banded in Nov. me in June. We both got 14cc bands. She got a 3cc fill at time of surgery, I got 4cc. My fills now total 7.5cc's and she was also just at 7.5 9 mos. out after several fills and lost 100 lbs., however needed some of that 7.5 taken out as she was too tight. So she's too tight and I'm not tight enough with the same amount of a fill. I'm at that in 2 mos, and her in 9mos. so there is no comparison. We are all so different.

I agree that the sweet spot feels different for everyone. I think what is important is that you feel satisfied and are still losing weight (or sometimes maintain while your body adjusts to the previous weight loss). I'm on the "tight" side of sweet spot.

When I was wondering some of the same things that have been voiced here, I read the general thread and learned that some people call their bands "fickle". Somedays it's tight, somedays it's loose. Well, I agree with that. Breakfast is the hardest meal for me. I eat about the equivalent of 1 scrambled egg. Sometimes there is no way I can get it down. Some days for dinner, I can eat, and eat! Another day, I can't get hardly anything down.

I'm on a Water pill and do think that when I'm retaining water, my stomach is a little bigger, so the band is tighter. I had my last fill (my 5th), talked the dr. into putting more in, he was kind of reluctant, and ended up not being able to get water down! Wow! Was that wierd! Had to go back into the office and have some Fluid removed. Haven't had a fill since.

BUT, I've also struggled with head hunger. Getting back on this board has helped tremendously with getting me on track.

You all are a great group and an inspiration!

Sue Stenzel

Hope you have a wonderful time at the outer banks. I live in N.C. and have never been there. My sisters come from N Y to vacation in the banks. Just don't eat too much, get some exercise in and relax and enjoy.

They have added a forum for us - let's post here... So we can share with the new people....

I am wondering about a daily Vitamin - right now taking Realfood organics by Country Life.......probably a good vitamin, but they are expensive and I am sure there is a costco, Walmart, Target, etc brand that is just as good -- so any suggestions?

Thank you all for responding to my post concerning the scope and filter that I had to under go today. Everything went well, the hardest part was having to lay still for 3 hrs after the filter was put in. I was able to talk to some of the staff at the hospital where I will be having my surgery. It may me feel so much better and I am so excited about starting the journey to feeling better. God bless you all.

I am wondering about a daily Vitamin - right now taking Realfood organics by Country Life.......probably a good vitamin, but they are expensive and I am sure there is a costco, Walmart, Target, etc brand that is just as good -- so any suggestions?

I'm sure there are many choices. Right after surgery I used a liquid vitamin that I bought at Vitamin Shoppe. You can go online with them. However, I didn't love it and it's hard to travel with, so I went to chewables and guess what.....Centrum Silver with Minerals- chewable. Easy. Fast.

I use a chewable Calcium as well. Can't recall the name right now, but there are several.

Good luck.

I never told anyone in my family that I was banded...3 months ago...we've never even discussed it! (We do not live in the same area.)

I will see my sister in NY this Saturday! I am excited and I hope she is supportive. The rest of the gang will find out too. I am a little nervous. She'll want to know why I couldn't do it myself. I will tell her to remember the dozen times I did do it myself...only to regain and gain some more.

Down 48 lbs. so far--30 some to go! The hard work is so worth it!

Your weight loss is very impressive. How could she not support you. You're doing wonderfully. Maybe you could tell her it was the right choice for you and let it go at that. I think you're great. You have really inspired me. My surgery date is Aug. 12th.

I would like to join the 50 plus group. I am confused as to where this forum is. Please let me know what I need to do.

trish

Trish once you post in a thread it usually subscrips you to it - then when you get on LBT - go to User CP and any new post to your thread should appear there.

This is premature as I don't even have a surgery date set yet -

but I'm so gosh-darn optimistic about this band thing and want to put my nervous energy to good use.

:)

About the saggy baggy skin thing - Bellies, arms, thighs, etc.

What is your experience with this -

Can it be prevented - before and after surgery exercises?

Have many of you opted for plastic surgery?

My BMI is below 40 and I don't anticipate too much saggy baggy -

Heck - I've had 3 full term pregnancies before this weight gain and it never bothered me greatly.

To have waistline again and be able to tie a robe around the girth and not have my tummy enter the room 1 second before the rest of me will be in itself a dream-come-true. :)

And to wear sleeveless tops would be nice if the upper arm flippy floppies aren't too bad. Are there any ongoing exercises to keep this at a minimum?

Any feedback from anyone? :confused2:

Elayne,

Your last post made me think. This past weekend my family went to a Water park in the city where my son and dil live. I wore a bathing suit and swam for the first time in - idk - 10 years or more? It was fun! However, as I looked around at the people in the crowd, what impressed me is that -- well - first, there are VERY FEW people who look good in a bikini, but many who wear them. Second, I am much too self-conscious on how I look. There are so many people out there who are just as big and bigger than I, but they are strutting around in 'unflattering" swimwear. Especially including men!! I had a black, skirted suit to cover as much as possible.

So, ladies, why DO we worry so much about flabby upper arms and saggy skin? Don't get me wrong - I have thought about plastic surgery already, and I have a long way to go before needing it -- but need it I will! By then my belly apron will be down to my knees!!! (LOL) But are we too harsh on ourselves?

YES, after surgery and repair of a very large hiatal hernia, I now have a new one hernia, on the rigfht side, about waist hieght. Not all that big, but totally annoying. I see my lapband DR on Friday for a possible fill and my PCP wants me to discuss this with her. Thinks that it possibly is a result of the straining to get yup and down after surgery!! but who knows. I'll know more on Friday/ Such fun :Banane21:
Personally, I'm not too worried about it. I'd rather have 'empty' sagging skin, than the full of fat skin that was literally weighing me down. I will be healthier, I will still look better and I will consider the skin as a battle scar from where I came from and a reminder to never go back. It's definitely not a reason for me not to lose weight as I don't want the excess skin. And, if it's a health issue or really bad I will look into removal, but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I am answering you all about the saggy baggy skin... My tummy isn't too bad - my legs not great (but I ain't wearing a mini skirt) my boob well even fat they were sagggy grandma boobies.. My arms are the worst and what bothers me the most (the rest is covered up by clothes - good bra and shape wear) - You can see that I have muscles now but when I get surgery on them (will eventurally) I would have Kelly Ripa arms (well maybe a bit of a streach but they would be cut) But heck like it was said above my body didn't look to frickin hot when it was full of fat - my skin was saggy even 104 lbs ago- heck we ain't in our 20's even though in our brains we are.

The saggy skin depends on your DNA - how long you were overweight etc - but I can tell you from personal experience I would rather have the saggy skin than the fat...

JoannMarie - Thank you for the compliment! :bananapowerslide: At my age, I'll take them where I can get them. :biggrin2:

Indio - I am in awe of you. You are so amazing. Looks like you are living life to the fullest. Isn't it amazing how much energy and git-up and go we have when we start putting ourselves first and become healthy and fit. You go girl!

I was so glad to hear your biopsy was negative. Congratulations and continue on. You are an inspiration.

Thanks so much BevDi !!!!

I plan to join you 'younguns"..........(I am 69) - but there seems to be more activity here......... love the suggestion about pineapple juice - will certainly try it.

please..........will someone tell me: exactly how does a "sweet spot" feel? I know (after 3 fills and a 4th coming up in a wk)...I eat too much and can eat most anything (most days). But on other days (a very few) -- I choke up after a couple of bites. Why so erratic?

I have a lap band friend who can eat very little (she eats a lot of Soups and always has). I don't want that much restriction -- but need my appetite curbed more than it is...... so again: what does a sweet spot feel like....act like..."look like".........

clc - it's diff for each of us - I am there - but there are some days that I can eat more than others - its just our bands they are very fickle some days tight other looser -

Hello all,

I hope you don't mind if this "old gal" joins in to this thread. So nice to find people of similar age and with so many things in common.

I just joined a week ago and have enjoyed reading all the thread but just "found" this one today. I'm waiting to hear from insurance if I will be approved for LapBand....This waiting is horrible! I keep running all the scenarios through my head.....One minute thinking I will be turned down and the next feeling so sure I will be approved. Needless to say it doesn't do me much good as my usual source of comfort when stressed is food. Ugh! I am doing my best to maintain the 5% weight loss required by my surgeon before the procedure.....Surgery date is Aug 27th if the insurance ever gets around to reviewing my paperwork!

Nice to "meet" everyone!

Welcome April - this is a great place - looking forward chatting with you

Lynn have fun - let me know how you like Mama Mia..

Hi 50+ gals, I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar after their surgery. I am 5 days post-op and experiencing shortness of breath. I had my surgery in Colorado and was sent home on oxygen because my oxygen level would not return to normal in recovery. The next day on my post-op check the surgeon said it was normal and that I could discontinue the O2. I am back in Florida where I live and thought the altitude might have been a problem, but that wasn't it either. I read somewhere that with the post surgery swelling, the band can rub on your diaphragm and cause shortness of breath. Has anyone else heard of this. I just pray with each passing day that it gets better. The incisions are starting to feel a little better, but still sore. How long does it take to feel normal again? I don't have much appetite yet, which is good. I am down 10 pounds now and even liquids fill me up quickly and my band is wide open. Any info that anyone out there has would be appreciated. Take care!!!

Skinnyme - Call your doctor on your shortness of breath - None of us are doctors and you should be talking to them - I hope you have already called them...

You just gotta find one you like - I don't care for them - and I have tried a few - I have to take them so I just do it - I have centritum chewables...

JB FLORIDA,

What makes you think you're not "doing it yourself" by having the band. Don't YOU have to decide to do it and go through the process of doctors, tests and insurance? Don't YOU have to make the choice not to have high caloric drinks, and ice cream, etc that would screw up the band's usefulness? Isn't it YOU who decides to stop eating when you feel full rather than continue to stuff it down? And exercise?

You did it yourself and will continue to do it yourself.....this time successfully. IF you prefer, you can just not tell anyone you had a band and let them enjoy how beautiful you look on terms they can understand. If you don't think they'll get it, don't get into it. But if you can talk to them, tell them that the band was and is hard work, but a system that helps you to stay on the right path. But it's your path that you've created and follow and work at daily. The band's just your GPS to make the path a little easier to follow!

Have a great trip and take no prisoners!

Edited by gdf18

I too love to read the posts but don't reply much. the other night i was reading a PS journey of 2 ladies on here and could not believe the ordeal. One was cut 360 degrees! the whole way around her body. they talked of drains, being out of work for weeks, the pain, and recovery time. unbelievable. much moer involved than a lapband.

I have a question for y'all. My lapband has not kicked in yet (i haven't had a fill yet). So when I "diet" and get really hungry, my body gets weak and light headed. You know how ketosis feels when you stand up too quickly and your head swims? So if your lapband restricts how much you eat--don't you still get that ketosis feeling? Today at work I broke out in a cold sweat--it was uncontrollable and embarassing. I am through menopause. I felt so hungry. Don't you still get those feelings if you cut calories down to 1000/day?

Denise- that's a great bit of advice. I just tried it (I'm eating lunch and typing). I am chuckling to myself over what I'll look like in restaurants- people will think I'm starting a "wave"- LOL!

If I am doing it in a restaurant, I usually clasp my hands together, put my arms up,pull up, and I think it just looks like I am stretching. I hope so, at least

Yeah me! I sailed through with flying colors and am now on mushies. They said I had lost 20 lbs from my last visit on July 10. I can start "real food" next week. My dr has 4 food phases that can take 4 to 8 wks, but I was told I could skip "pureed" and go to mushies. What a wonderful 36th anniversary gift today held. I only have soreness and some pain at the port incision site, but the PA told me this was normal. I am cleared to start my Water aerobics again next week. I am so happy! :biggrin2: